Graduate Speech-Language Pathology Program in Belize

Group Discussion
Group Discussion
Pediatric
Pediatric

This 9 day program is based in the Central American country of Belize and is intended for graduate students ages 20 and up who are interested in pursuing a career in speech-language pathology (speech therapy), audiology or a related field. This is an ideal program for students who want to take advantage of working alongside professional American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) accredited speech-language pathologists (SLPs) and Therapy Abroad staff. Students will gain hands-on experience, provide school and medical based screenings and evaluations, develop and implement intervention plans, gain skilled professional observation hours and one-on-one time with SLPs and other professionals. Students will also work in small groups developing and implementing training and education programs for teachers and parents.

• Hands On Speech-Language Pathology Experience
  • High SLP Staff to Student Ration
  • Clinical Clock Hours
  • Assessment & Diagnostic Experience

Digna

Great Experience

This program was a great experience not only to learn about other cultures and their educational system but, also the field outside of the USA. The staff especially Ellen, is awesome. She is knowledgeable, respectful, fun, and truly cares about the students.
The supervisor Denise, was excellent. She was passionate, caring, and had fantastic teaching style where she would show you something if you didn’t known instead of just telling you.
We had a great group and we all got along wonderfully. I think that fact that it was only 5 grad students made it better. But the undergrad were great too.
Make sure you; bring $, lots of sunscreen, and are OPEN-MINDED don’t expect US’s standards in someone else’s country. Belizians are
welcoming & the food is delicious. S/o to Monkey Bay’s kitchen staff!! You’ll miss their food once you come
back.
I’d highly recommend this program to any student.

-updated assessment tools and more
choices.
-more resources on multilingual/multicultural population specifically for Creole speakers if available
-for grad students I will include maybe a little workshop on the most common dialectical differences e.g. /t/ for /th/ before conducting assessments
-revise the evaluation form and create a more cohesive and organized format
-provide with a standard sample of the assessment form so all look and have the same information
-have a format for OSME those students on the 1st year might have never done it
- talk to Monkey Bay owners about the WiFi not working in the rooms during night time (I think they might turn it off)
-tell students that it is appropriate to tip drivers & those going snorkeling with you-they were excellent and always made you feel safe (Tyrone, David, & Alex)

Kathryn

Belize - Graduate Therapy Abroad Program

This was a great program to attend before heading into my first clinical placement. I can say that I am more comfortable leading evaluation and treatment sessions after just one week of exposure. Ellen and the supervisors were very insightful and made sure that we were provided with information about the country, school system, and set clear expectations for the week. Everyone had a different style which I loved because no supervisor will ever be the same and you will need to be flexible! This program was very rewarding and I think that everyone should experience this at least once. Every lead/supervisor was organized, professional, and good communicators. It was a wonderful learning environment and I without a doubt would do it again with no hesitation!

The opportunity to extend the program past one week! I would have loved if it were two weeks or even 12 days.
Megan

A worth while experience

The week that I spent in Therapy Abroad’s Graduate program is an experience that I would not take back. It allowed me to create great connections with students and SLPs, receive eclectic speech therapy experience unlike anything I have done before, and to explore a new place! You will not be disappointed by the accommodations at Monkey Bay. The staff there are some of the sweetest people that are willing to help you in any way. My speech therapy experience allowed me to better understand school systems in developing countries. It also made me realize the need of speech and language pathology services in developing countries like Belize. Then, in your down time you are able to explore the country (even the islands!) If you are thinking about it, go!!!!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Travel light and ask everyone questions. That way you will get the most out of your experience.
Ashley

Graduate Program

Be ready to have a lot of fun and learn a lot about how to work in a multi-cultural setting! Bring multiple changes of clothes, lots of bug spray and a love for learning about new cultures! Don't be afraid to dive in and talk to every one you meet as you will meet some truly amazing people both from America and Belize. Studying with those from different backgrounds and schooling allowed me to learn about many different schools of thought that exist in this field and I learned so much! I am very grateful that I went on this trip and was able to have so much hands on experience. I hope to both stay in touch with my group members as well as come back as a team leader some day! It is very exciting that therapy abroad is expanding to different countries.

JC

Therapy Abroad - Belize

I came with a custom NYU group. Therapy Abroad worked with us to create dates that matched our school schedule. Once there, the supervisors were excellent! The Therapy Abroad employees were wonderful to work with, and I hope to return on another Therapy Abroad trip in the future. I absolutely loved my experience working with the children. I felt that I gained a lot of important clinical skills, and I strengthed my report writing skills as well. I enjoyed my time on the trip. The hotel acommodations were great. I enjoyed the excursions, and I would highly recommend this trip to others! We went snorkeling, we ate local food, we went out dancing one night, and we went swimming. The Therapy Abroad staff is very responsive to questions, concerns, and suggestions. I do intend to work with them again in the future, whether as a student, team leader, or supervisor at some point. I loved traveling with this organization!

Bring a lot of sunscreen and bug spray! I did, and I avoided sunburn and mosquito bites. Others on my trip got bitten, and it seems the people who got bitten were wearing black the day we went to the Mayan Temples. Wear colors to the temples!
Kristin

Therapy Abroad

My first experience volunteering abroad was with Therapy Abroad, which I heard about through my graduate program. The staff was extremely supportive and made sure that all of our needs were taken care of. It was made clear in the beginning to let someone know immediately if you have any needs or discomforts. The lead therapists were considerate and made sure everyone was comfortable on a daily basis. The housing was clean and comfortable. There were community areas with wifi. Food was made daily with a variety of options. There were food options for various dietary restrictions as well (you just have to let the staff know). In regards to therapy, I experienced a great balance of work and fun. I had the opportunity to learn more about clinical aspects and experience cultural immersion. We also had the opportunity to see a few local attractions.

Jennifer

10/10 great time

I had an amazing personal and professional experience with Therapy Abroad's Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC) Program. I was surrounded by positive and passionate mentors and given a leadership role to help, with a team of fellow peers, to create a week and a half long camp providing no technology resources, giving children, adolescents, and young adults with complex communication needs a voice. We orchestrated a fun camp with many stations (science, drama) while assisting and teaching target students how to communicate using a no technology system. Models and support were provided for data collection and report writing, which was a reasonable load.

Living quarters were comfortable: bunk beds in an adorable cabin with a toilet inside, and then outdoor shower facilities. I had so much fun on the excursions (snorkeling, zip lining) and the program really made things easy, providing all meals, transportation, and stopping at shops when supplies were needed. The trip went well above and beyond all of my expectations. As a graduate student, I felt challenged and grew in my AAC knowledge base as well as cultural competency. My only real challenge was dealing with some mosquitoes! Invest in Deet, not natural mosquito deterrents like coconut oil, and you'll be set! I would definitely recommend this program to any student interested in speech therapy.

Mikayla

All SLP Students Need To Do This

This was the best thing I did in grad school. I learned SO MUCH and I left Belize with an insane amount of confidence in my clinical abilities and my report writing. The supervising SLPs were incredibly supportive and I never felt like I didn’t have anyone to help me. I loved the tourist activities we did and I definitely made some lifelong friends. I loved helping out in the community and trying new things. I had never worked with children who had syndromes and I was able to do language/artic/feeding evaluations on children with all kinds including Macroglossia, cerebral palsy, ASD and a few other children with cleft palate. Everyone I have talked to since then I have told them they need to do this program. It helped me grow so much as a clinician and was a huge eye opener to how other parts of the world live.

About Therapy Abroad

Therapy Abroad offers short term study abroad programs for undergraduate and graduate students in the field of communication sciences & disorders, speech-language pathology & audiology. Therapy Abroad creates an interactive educational environment...