Custom Graduate Speech-Language Pathology Program in Belize

This 7-14 day program is based in the Central American country of Belize and is intended for graduate students ages 20 and up who are interested in pursuing a career in speech-language pathology (speech therapy), audiology or a related field. This is an ideal program for students who want to take advantage of working alongside professional American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) accredited speech-language pathologists (SLPs) and Therapy Abroad staff. Students will gain hands-on experience, provide school and medical based screenings and evaluations, develop and implement intervention plans, gain skilled professional observation hours and one-on-one time with SLPs and other professionals. Students will also work in small groups developing and implementing training and education programs for teachers and parents.

• Hands On Speech-Language Pathology Experience
  • High SLP Staff to Student Ration
  • Clinical Clock Hours
  • Assessment & Diagnostic Experience

• 9-10 rating 93.33%
  • 7-8 rating 6.67%
Lauren

A Must Go

Therapy Abroad was an amazing and worthwhile experience! It allowed me to build my clinical skills, meet new people, build better relationships with my friends, and encounter amazing adventures (cave tubing, hiking), foods, and cultures! Everyone was super helpful and supportive, and the advice I was provided will be very beneficial in my future career! Do not miss this opportunity to help others, step out of your comfort zone, and grow your love for speech therapy! Also, this trip is perfect for a students of all experience levels!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Prior to this trip, I was unaware of Belize’s landscape and was surprised to see so many types of terrain. It was all truly beautiful from the jungle/mountains to the marshland.
Caroline

Wow!! Couldn't recommend more!

This week was one of the most impactful times in my life. Therapy abroad allowed me to take new perspectives, grow closer to my classmates, and re-spark the passion that pulled me towards speech pathology! I could not recommend this program and beautiful country more. I will definitely be coming back!

This program provided hands on unique experience that opened my eyes to different cultures and needs. Belize's diversity was one of my favorite parts of the trip. I learned valuable lessons and skills that I will take with me as I return back to school. I believe that this trip made my cohort better clinicians in many aspects.

Get out of your comfort zone! Being able to adapt is a key part in getting the most out of this trip. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity!
Kylee

Belize Therapy Abroad

It was a great experience being to able meet so many new individuals and learning about the culture. The clinic director did a great job planning out all the activities and providing us with everything we needed. This experience has left me feeling like a more confident SLP. Being able to come on this trip allowed me to see a wide variety of children with different diagnoses that I would not have been able to experience in my own school clinic. I am very grateful for this opportunity and the experience.

What was your funniest moment?
Traveling to the Pontoon Jungle Eco Tour was the funniest experience for me.
Payton

Therapy Abroad- Belize

I am so thankful for this program and the experience it has given me this past week! I feel like I have grown so much as a clinician in just one week! It has also made me try new things in my everyday life and pushed me beyond my comfort zone! The program was the perfect amount of work and “play.” I also enjoyed the supervisors and director because they seemed to truly care about us as professionals, but also wanted us to enjoy every moment we spent in Belize! I highly recommend pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and traveling abroad!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I was surprised at how welcoming and wonderful the people of Belize were.
Henley

ULM Belize Trip 2021

This trip was unforgettable! Therapy Abroad planned and organized our trip perfectly with great flexibility. We had the perfect balance of clinic & adventure. Not only did we gain an incredible amount of experience in Belize, but we also had a great time doing it. I feel as if each individual in our group grew in the short time we were here & I will forever recommend this company. This experience has made me a better clinician in many ways & I will never forget the families/children I got to meet. Thank you, Therapy Abroad, for providing us with such a great opportunity!

Be open-minded! This is an amazing experience with the perfect amount of challenges! Try new things & get out of your comfort zone!
Maddie

ULM Belize Trip 2021

Our trip to Belize in April 2021 was life changing to say the least. It was well organized with more learning opportunities than I could have ever imagined. The families were amazing and it was an honor to participate in parent education with them. I highly recommend this trip for any SLP’s; especially graduate clinicians! It was an amazing experience and I hope to come back very soon! Chad and his staff are amazing. We had flexibility with everything we done during the trip! The food was amazing!

Jessica

Graduate Speech-Language Pathology Program

Traveling with Therapy Abroad in Belize is a once in a lifetime opportunity! The trip is incredibly organized and is the perfect combination of clinical experiences and exciting adventures on the weekends such as cave tubing, zip lining, and visiting an island. Attending a Therapy Abroad program is a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience working with clients while also learning about and being enriched in a new culture.
This trip was especially meaningful to me, with my favorite and most impactful part being client home visits in local villages. This study abroad experience has truly allowed me to appreciate the profession of speech-language pathology and the power of helping others communicate. The SLP supervisors on my trip were resourceful, supportive, and overall incredible mentors. I will always be grateful for this opportunity and unforgettable trip. I highly recommend a trip with Therapy Abroad for anyone who is considering a career in speech language pathology, or for anyone who would like to further their studies in the field of SLP.

Try new things! There are plenty of opportunities to try new foods and experiences, so don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone.
Digna

Great Experience

This program was a great experience not only to learn about other cultures and their educational system but, also the field outside of the USA. The staff especially Ellen, is awesome. She is knowledgeable, respectful, fun, and truly cares about the students.
The supervisor Denise, was excellent. She was passionate, caring, and had fantastic teaching style where she would show you something if you didn’t known instead of just telling you.
We had a great group and we all got along wonderfully. I think that fact that it was only 5 grad students made it better. But the undergrad were great too.
Make sure you; bring $, lots of sunscreen, and are OPEN-MINDED don’t expect US’s standards in someone else’s country. Belizians are
welcoming & the food is delicious. S/o to Monkey Bay’s kitchen staff!! You’ll miss their food once you come
back.
I’d highly recommend this program to any student.

-updated assessment tools and more
choices.
-more resources on multilingual/multicultural population specifically for Creole speakers if available
-for grad students I will include maybe a little workshop on the most common dialectical differences e.g. /t/ for /th/ before conducting assessments
-revise the evaluation form and create a more cohesive and organized format
-provide with a standard sample of the assessment form so all look and have the same information
-have a format for OSME those students on the 1st year might have never done it
- talk to Monkey Bay owners about the WiFi not working in the rooms during night time (I think they might turn it off)
-tell students that it is appropriate to tip drivers & those going snorkeling with you-they were excellent and always made you feel safe (Tyrone, David, & Alex)