• Ireland
    • Dublin
Term
Academic Year, Fall, Spring, Summer
Anthropology Art History Arts Biology Business Communications Computer Science Cultural Studies Economics Engineering Health Sciences Humanities International Business International Relations Liberal Arts Performing Arts Political Science Social Sciences Sociology Theater +10

Program Details

What's Not Included
Airfare Visa
May 14, 2021
May 23, 2019

You won’t need the luck of the Irish to have an unforgettable study abroad experience in Dublin. By directly enrolling at Dublin City University (DCU), Trinity College Dublin, the National Theatre School of Ireland (Gaiety School of Acting), or University College Dublin, you’ll have the joy of befriending the Irish, who are known for their hospitality. You’ll feel more at home knowing that Dublin has a young population (more than half of the city is under 25). Dublin rewards the independent spirit with a diverse culture and a wide range of educational opportunities.

We want you to feel at home in Dublin, so we will do everything we can to help you integrate. Enrolling directly in an Irish institution through IES Abroad provides you with a chance to sample the local academic culture while benefiting from the support of IES Abroad staff and housing.

Program Highlights

• Even though your adventure starts in Dublin, our field trips take you beyond the city to discover the culture and traditions of your host country.
  • Our Comprehensive Orientation & Re-Entry Experience (CORE™) begins right when you arrive and continues through the semester with activities focusing on academic and cultural adjustment.
  • You have an individual IES Abroad Program Advisor to help you prepare for your study abroad adventure.From visa requirements to travel details, they are your #1 resource for preparing to study abroad.
  • We offer well-located, comfortable housing for all students because securing housing independently can be challenging. Our goal is that when you leave Dublin, it will feel like home.
  • IES Abroad offers $5 million dollars in need- and merit-based scholarships and grants that can be used toward an IES Abroad study abroad program. Apply on our website with our Aid Application.

About University College Dublin

University College Dublin
City
Dublin
Students:
32,900
Year Founded:

University College Dublin (UCD) is Ireland's largest and most diverse university. It is also Ireland's most international university, with 20% of the student body consisting of students from 120 countries around the world. UCD is located 3 miles south of Dublin city centre in a beautiful self-contained campus with extensive on-campus housing options, academic and recreational facilities.

IES Abroad Scholarships

IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Popular Programs

exterior of a Dublin City University building

This program appeals primarily to those students who are ready for the challenge of adapting to an entirely new academic culture that requires significant independent work. By directly enrolling at Dublin City University (DCU) through IES Abroad, you’ll have a chance to sample the local academic culture through a wide variety of challenging courses while benefiting from the support of IES Abroad staff and housing.

Gaiety School of Acting sign

Designed for theatre students seeking an intensive, practical approach to performance, this is an immersive, conservatory-style acting program. At the National Theatre School of Ireland (Gaiety School of Acting), you participate in courses with other Irish and international students. By attending NTSI (GSA), you are in good acting company: famous faces of the school include patron Liam Neeson and alumni Colin Farrell, Stuart Townsend, Olivia Wilde, Aidan Turner, and Brenda Fricker.

Trinity College Dublin building

Trinity College Dublin offers a wide variety of challenging courses and appeals primarily to those students who are ready for the challenge of adapting to an entirely new academic culture that requires significant independent work. Enrolling directly in TCD through IES Abroad provides you with a chance to sample the local academic culture while still benefiting from the support of IES Abroad staff and housing.

Street lights reflecting off the River Liffey in Bublin at night

Founded in 1854, University College Dublin (UCD) has more than 160 years of tradition. Today UCD is Ireland’s largest university. Known for their top-ranking business school, their notable school of humanities, and their leadership in science and technology innovation, there is something for everyone at UCD. The UCD campus in Belfield is located in the southern suburbs of Dublin, just fifteen minutes from the coast and thirty minutes to the beautiful Dublin/Wicklow Mountains.

three students acting with props

The IES Abroad Dublin Summer Intensive Acting Program will give you the opportunity to explore Dublin as you gain an intensive, practical approach to performance. Enrollment is offered at the acclaimed Gaiety School of Acting - National Theatre School of Ireland. Enjoy staying in fully-equipped student apartments and gaining real-world experiences through field trips throughout the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

• 9-10 rating 96.15%
  • 7-8 rating 3.85%
Frances

Dublin, IES

I attended the Gaiety School of Acting in Dublin through IES. Best semester I have had yet! I learned so much in such a short amount of time. Studying abroad was such a great experience. IES was so helpful and supportive throughout the entire ordeal. Staff members of IES and GSA were fantastic. IES was fantastic in encouraging us to experience the beauty of Ireland and experiencing the culture with field trips and such. I recommend taking the field trips, even if they are out of your comfort zone.
Dublin has such a rich history that is evident throughout the entire city. Highly recommend traveling to, especially for the theatre! I saw some of the best shows I have had the privilege of seeing in Dublin. IES is there to help you explore the beautiful world around you, with their financial aid, contests and tips and tricks, they make it as affordable as they can, it may not be as out of budget as you may think. Give them a chance, check it out and if you can, go explore this beautiful world!

Grace

Amongst the Irish

Since returning to the U.S., looking back on my time in Ireland feels like remembering another life. It was an absolutely whirlwind of 4 months, filled to the brim with experiences I may never live again but I will be eternally grateful for. Study abroad is this bizarre period in which it’s so easy to get caught up in the fantasy of it all – oh, I’ll spend my birthday in Paris or take a quick weekend in Madrid to try real paella and then meet some friends of a friend in Edinburgh? Easy. Book a RyanAir flight and do it. It will teach you invaluable skills like how to adapt as well as a deep appreciation for how special all of these places are.

I chose to study in Dublin, Ireland because ever since my family took a trip to the Emerald Isle when I was 9 years old, it’s been a mystical place that I was sure I’d return to. And it’s true, the people are some of the best and most friendly you’ll ever encounter, you’ll learn to appreciate great beer, and you’ll leave practically able to quote Yeats to any passerby. But, as with any life-upending experiences, it is a mixture of highs and lows. Be ready for rain, and lots of it. Dublin can sometimes feel small and grey but there are so many adorable cafes and museums tucked within its winding streets, you’ll never be short of a new place to explore.

However cliché and pretentious it may sound, study abroad does change you. It gives you a perspective of yourself and your life that would be almost impossible to understand by staying still. Whatever your experience abroad, I can almost promise you’ll come out the other end infected with what they call the “travel bug” and soon be itching to get back on a plane and keep exploring.

While this program was great for the most part, studying at Trinity College Dublin could sometimes be a frustrating experience. The class registration process and lots of other bureaucratic pieces functioned very differently from American universities and there was often not a lot of instruction to guide a new student. And while I absolutely recommend studying through a program like IES because the extra support is invaluable, your program does not have any pull when it comes to the University itself and you, as a student, may end up knowing more about its functioning than they do.
Potatoes
Keara

An education and program experience I wouldn't trade.

I studied abroad with IES in Dublin, Ireland, through Direct Enrollment at Trinity College Dublin spring semester and it was a great experience. IES staff helped me through the application process, pre-departure, preparation and during the entire semester from doctors appointments to recommendations on restaurants. The optional trips offered through IES were fantastic and a great bonding experience to get to know other IES students in all of their offered programs in Dublin. The classes at Trinity were very rigorous and scheduling was a nightmare (as Irish students have one focus where as you may have a major and minor so it is tough to not get an overlapping schedule) but staff was there to help the whole way through! Most classes were assessed on the final exam/paper and not on continuous assessment which was very different to my home college but also helped me take responsibility for my studies.
Through Direct Enrollment, I was able to take classes with local and other international students and fully immerse myself in the college community. I joined the ultimate frisbee team and was able to travel all over Ireland and play against almost all of the Irish teams. I also created lifelong friends. Because of this abroad experiences with IES, I see more opportunities in my future and plan to visit Ireland again. I would highly recommend this program to anyone even slightly interested, contact the IES staff with any questions you have!

The only aspect that I believe could be improved is providing more opportunities for the direct enrollment students to talk to staff, visit the center, and see other students in IES programs as I did feel very separated at times.
Catherine

Time of my Life at Trinity College Dublin

Where to begin?! I was lucky enough to study abroad as a Directly Enrolled student at Trinity College Dublin through IES. I was in the amazing city of Dublin from early January until late May, and I can confidently say that it has been the greatest experience of my life thus far.
Because I was directly enrolled at Trinity College, IES was less involved in my day to day life. They organized my housing, and coordinated my enrollment with Trinity, meaning that I just had to show up! IES met me at the airport, and had an RA waiting at my apartment to meet me when I arrived. Though our housing had some hiccups (heating and plumbing issues) IES was VERY responsive in getting things sorted. These issues were beyond anyone's control, but the Director and staff were very helpful, and apologetic for any inconveniences.

In terms of academics, IES explained how we would register for classes, and offered support throughout the semester. As I said, because we were directly enrolled, IES played a smaller part here. Trinity itself was a bit tricky, and takes a bit of getting used to, but overall it was an incredible experience. You are in courses (modules) with Irish students, and you are learning from Irish professors, so the atmosphere is amazing.

Though our classes were not through IES, we were ALWAYS welcome to study in the IES Center, to print from their computers, or to just drop by for a chat. They planned trips for us, and had coffee meet ups during the semester to make sure everyone was settling in ok.

If I could go back and do it again, I would in a heartbeat. Dublin happens to be the hub for most RyanAir flights, meaning that cheap flights were super accessible (and encouraged!). I made friends that will last me a lifetime, and I strongly suggest that you spend your semester abroad in Dublin.

My housing was a bit far from the city center, and the apartment had some issues. I found housing to be the only negative about my time there, and even so, the problems were easily managed.
Laura

Living in Dublin

I was immensely glad I chose to travel to Dublin through IES. The IES coordinated field trips to Northern Ireland and Causey Farm were some of the best experiences I had while I was abroad. Causey Farm was particularly interesting because I talked to a friend from Dublin, and she said she remembered the same trip from primary school! It was awesome to know that we were experiencing the same thing as those who lived in Ireland.
In addition, I was in Paris for travel at the time of the Paris Terror attacks, and I was exceptionally glad to know that IES was watching over me. I recieved a call from the Chicago center and from the staff at the Dublin center within an hour of the beginning of the attacks, ensuring my safety and ready to give advice should I need it. I really appreciated the prompt response and the knowledge that someone knew where I was and was watching out for me.
Trinity College was an amazing experience as well. I loved being directly enrolled, and joining societies was a great way to meet people and engage with the local culture. The academics were an adjustment, as any different system will be, and overall the experience was one of immense value.

The constant RA contact was irritating because we never had a set time; she tried to communicate a new time every week, which never worked out for everyone's schedules.
D

Irish Immersion

I absolutely loved my study abroad experience in Dublin, Ireland! With a gracious culture reflected in cozy pubs and gentle parks, Dublin became my ideal city; the people are warm and inviting, the cityscape is walk-able and historic, and the coast is remarkably serene. With my student apartment so close the city center, I managed to start most mornings walking through the verdant paths of St. Steven’s Green.
Because of how accessible Dublin and the surrounding countryside is, I felt very connected to the cultural and recreational opportunities that Ireland has to offer; I woke up each morning with a great sense of excitement and delight in pursuing all of the pubs, museums, plays, hikes (Wicklow Mountains!), and historical sights that were within easy reach.
My favorite part about the experience, however, was being directly enrolled into Trinity College and enjoying all of the academic (like the Book of Kells!) and social resources provided by the campus. The program allowed me to immerse myself in the student life at Trinity and befriend not only Irish students, but also international students from various continents studying at the historic college center. Societies, for me, ranging from volunteer to athletic and niche areas in between (Juggling!) were the most rewarding ways to get involved and experience Dublin through unique perspectives; rock climbing around Ireland with the Climbing Club and participating in various tastings and workshops with the Food and Drink Society offered fun opportunities to not necessarily tour around, but rather live in Dublin as a local student.
My IES Abroad Direct Enrollment experience, overall, was infused with positive memories of feeling integrated into the city and social life of Dublin!

Grainne

A New Home

Dublin truly became a second home to me and it really didn't even take that long for me to feel comfortable there. A huge part of this was the amazing staff at IES Abroad Dublin. I cannot say enough times how amazing these people all were. Dublin itself is incredible as well and being able to directly enroll in a university and thus directly immerse myself in Dublin city life was so important towards my comfort in the city. I would suggest direct enrollment to everyone who goes abroad because I think it truly enriched my experience due to the fact that I could meet Irish students and become friends with them as well as have Irish professors. It made my education in Ireland that much better. The trips and activities organized by IES were also incredible. I met so many wonderful people through the programs and learned about the history of Ireland by actually seeing the sites. I truly hope I can return one day.

The plumbing could have been better in the flat we had but otherwise i really have no complaints. It was as close to perfect as humanly possible.
Alison

Studying at Trinity College Dublin with IES Abroad

My semester abroad in Dublin, Ireland at Trinity College Dublin was an invaluable experience, filled with wonderful people, extraordinary places, and vital life lessons. With the help of the staff at IES Abroad Dublin, Trinity College Dublin, and the friends that I made, Dublin became like home to me. The staff was always willing to help with any issues I had and share a conversation over a cup of tea.

As a student directly enrolled in Trinity College Dublin, I was able to join clubs and societies on campus, which helped me get involved and make new friends. I joined the Club Swim Team, and we went to Galway for a weekend for a gala (swim meet)! Additionally, I was able to take classes related to my major, Speech and Hearing Science, which gave me the ability to see my field of study in a different perspective. I was able to build relationships with professors and students from all over the world who are teaching and studying similar subjects. It was very beneficial and has given me the courage and confidence to explore postgraduate and professional opportunities abroad.

I would encourage more communication between the IES Staff and students throughout the entire semester. I feel like I only started to get to really know them towards the end of my time in Ireland, which is really unfortunate.