Study Abroad in Rome at John Cabot University

Study abroad next spring, summer, or fall at John Cabot University in Rome, Italy. Enroll directly in an American university operating abroad, allowing all of your credits to transfer easily to your home institution. Class sizes range from 12-15 students and are comprised of students from all over the world, allowing you to not only learn more about the Italian way of life but also many different cultures. Be sure to take advantage of the wide variety of trips and activities JCU offers to complement your studies!

Ready to have the best summer or semester of your life? Head over to our website for more information!

Hi Lauren! It really depends on what kind of living experience you're looking for. The Gianicolo and Trastevere residences house only JCU students in apartments, and provide 24/7 security, as well as onsite RAs; the Gianicolo residence is also entirely substance free. We also offer the option of living in external apartments, in buildings that also house tenants who do not belong to the JCU...
Hi Katelyn, Thank you for your interest in John Cabot University! You do not have to be enrolled at a university in order to study abroad at John Cabot. We have independent study abroad programs which you could apply for. I am attaching a link here where you can find all the information on how to apply. If you have any questions at all feel free to reach out to me directly at [email protected]
Yes, this institution offers postgraduate courses.
It depends on the classes. I took it easy for the time I studied abroad and took a lot of art and photography classes, which were relatively easy. Some of my roommates took harder classes such as business classes and said they were quite rigorous.

Linnea

Incredible experience

John Cabot gave me the academic challenge I wanted, while also allowing me to travel frequently. I felt like I was learning in multiple aspects. In the classroom and in the city, I enjoyed an incredibly enrichening experience. John Cabot aided me with all the resources I needed to feel safe and confident while abroad. Whether it was asking for directions or getting my washing machine fixed, John Cabot was always there for support. The apartment housing is in a prime location and a terrific neighborhood suited for an authentic experience.

Sydney

Spring Semester Abroad

Could not have had a better semester abroad in Rome at JCU. The students,staff, and apartments we're amazing.

The administration strives to make your experience as easy as possible. When you arrive they provide an extensive orientation program. The professors are experts in their field and provided me the best possible education abroad. My apartment was a 5 minute walk from the campus. It was also close to many shops and restaurants as well as the center of Rome. The apartment was spacious and clean.

Would highly recommend!

Emma

Do it!

Overall I had some mishaps being in a new country, however, all struggles I had were worth it. The language isn't as much of an issue as people claim it to me. I had a worse time adjusting to relaxed scheduling of Europeans. They are almost accustomed to things going wrong so people are often late. No one seems to get angered as easily about messing another's routine up either. The academics could be enhanced by giving more attention to students who wish to seek it. However, a lot of this program encouraged me to get out of my comfort zone and to find my own answers.

I wish my RA understood American norms so we could've had a better connection.
Juliana

I loved studying here

John Cabot is a great place to study abroad! The campuses are in a great location in Trastevere also known as the college neighborhood but the school is also close to all of the major attractions in Rome. The classes are relaxed but still engaging and the school is a great way to meet other American students but also other students and professors from around the world. They also have many events and opportunities on campus to get involved. I would highly recommend John Cabot for anyone looking to study abroad or study at a four-year school.

Matthew

John Cabot University- Summer/Fall Study Abroad

Studying at John Cabot University for four months was a great experience! For anyone thinking about going abroad anytime soon, I will tell you this about the JCU program:

Studying in Italy is the greatest location not only because of the country's own immersive culture and delicacies, but its proximity and cheap travel cost to other countries in Europe.

John Cabot University was a great school to be at, with comfortable/safe housing and teachers who were easily understandable.

Don't worry about not knowing the language, because wherever you go in Rome/Florence, most people will understand English and will be very friendly toward you.

When I studied at JCU I was only a freshman in my first semester of college. Be that as it may, I couldn't think of a better way to start my college experience.

Fix the garbage collection/recycling system... just open all of the cans everyday.
Lia

One Semester was Not Enough

So, in my last weeks of the sophomore year, I learned about an opportunity to spend a semester abroad. I had a full list of countries and universities to choose from. I already knew I wanted to go to Europe, so this shortened my area of choice. Eventually, I decided that I want my study abroad experience to feel cozy. And where better to spend it than in Italy? Especially, in Rome!
I am so happy with my choice of the university: it is located in the historic heart of the city, Trastevere. I rented an apartment very close to it, and this was a big part of my experience. I think if you choose John Cabot then better stay to it as close as possible. Every famous monument is of a close reach, and there are many events organized nearby! The only downside is that the metro is a bit far.
What about academics, I highly suggest taking an art class. I didn't even consider it as a class because I enjoyed it so much.

Olivia

Best experience of my life!

I attended JCU as a degree seeking student. During my studies I met people from all around the world. What I enjoyed most about my experience was the discussions that would happen inside the classroom. Because the student body is so diverse, I got to learn so much from my fellow classmates. The professors are incredible as well. They go above and beyond to help their students succeed. I am very happy with my experience at JCU.

carly

Earning an American Degree at JCU

I will graduate John Cabot University (JCU) this coming May 2017, and could not be happier with my undergrad experience. JCU is more than just a four year university, it is a tight-knit community of diverse students and staff. Due to the small class size I received incredible one on one attention from professors, which helped me to understand topics more in depth and motivate me to try my hardest. The student body is extremely diverse, I developed friendships with people from all over the world, friends who I will have for life, and that was really the best gift JCU gave me. I highly recommend anyone who is open minded and willing to immerse themselves in a new culture to do their undergrad at JCU.

Darian

Don't Miss Out

Studying abroad in Rome changed my life for the better. Here I met the love of my life, I gained life-long friends and we all share a special bond that few people in the world get to experience, I learned a new language, stuffed my face with some amazing food, enjoy (never) one too many glasses of wine and I wouldn't trade one day I had here for anything in the world. It inspired me to pursue my dreams of living abroad and I intend to do so in the next couple of years!

Just the efficiency, but they are wonderfully helpful.
Lizzie

I recomend to everyone

So great! Best location I could ask for, very safe, great program.
When I was staying there, John Paul the 2nd was being canonized. Due to the excellent location of the school and dorm, I was able to wake up early on the morning of and join all of the people who had been sleeping in the street in front of the Vatican the previous night. It was a once in a lifetime experience.
Studying abroad is all about what you make of it. With John Cabot, you really can't go wrong.

Less strict housing rules. Everyone in the dorms/apartments is in their 20's and have lived on their own before. The rules make it seem like freshman year again. It's overall worth it for safety but that deterred many people.
Keri

Wonderful study abroad experience

I studied abroad here my spring semester of 2008. Totally worthwhile. Most valuable experience I've ever had. The school is nestled in a part of Rome that is far away from the tourist spots, which gave the experience a much more authentic Rome feel.

Matthew

Great Experience

John Cabot was an awesome experience. The location of the school couldn't be better. Trastevere is in walking distance to anywhere you would want to go in Rome but still feels like a secluded neighborhood where you can really get to know the streets, restaurants, bars, etc. Rome is also a great location to be in if you plan to travel around Italy and Europe. The academics and long weekends at JCU definitely make it possible to travel every weekend if you want, as most study abroad students do. Only real con is the on campus living situation. I chose to get my own apartment because I had heard from previous students that the rules were a bit strict. Living off campus was one of the greatest decisions I made regarding my time there. It's way cheaper and you don't have to live by the ridiculous rules JCU has for dorms (no liquor, no open containers, no guests past 11 PM, etc.)

Adjust the rules for living on campus. I understand safety needs to be maintained but it could definitely be made more accommodating while maintaining safety.
Paola

Living the Art History

The experience I had over seas was something that I will be able to cherish for the rest of my life. My memories are so vivid I revive moments that I had in places I never thought I would be. I had never traveled to Europe before I decided to study abroad. I knew this was the perfect moment for me to enrich my life culturally. I wanted to learn from people and their mentalities and I wanted to explore the earth. I decided to travel before heading to my program and I was able to travel by plane, train,Ferrys and cars to Neatherlands, Belgium, England, Ireland, France, Spain, and Italy. I finally arrived to my program destination in Rome, Italy. The program I chose was based on Art history and I had the opportunity to live a magnificent experience of traveling and living this art history experience. My life was transformed in many ways, not just intellectually and culturally but mentally as well. I no longer see things the same way. I have been enlightened and my mind now has many different angles of seeing life. I am forever changed for better.

John

GO ABROAD

Rome is the most incredible place in the world to live. Every time you walk anywhere you go past monuments and architecture that is older than the United States. There is an endless amount to see and do in the city, it is far more than just the Vatican, Colosseum, and monuments that you have heard of. I was there for four months and feel like I only saw half of the city. There are a million different place to go in Europe and I suggest that you explore as many of them as you can. But there is no better place to call home when you're over there than Rome.

The housing and rules of housing are not perfect but there is not much the program can do about this. It does not take away from the overall experience of the program
Sharon

John Cabot University

John Cabot University offers a familiar education system for American study abroad students and offers a good transition into Roman life. The campus is in a great location in Trastevere which is right across the river and a relatively short walk to all the major sights in Rome. There is a lot to do and explore in Rome and definitely a great place to be if you want the chance to travel throughout Italy and even Europe. I found that many of the students who were also studying abroad there were very interested into the nightlife and bar/club scene but it's also possible to do other things and have fun immersing into all the other activities of Rome. John Cabot University is almost 50% degree seeking students and 50% abroad students, and abroad students tend to make more communities of friends with other American students than the local/degree seeking students so it is not the best program to choose if you want a program where you are always immersed into Italian culture, language, lifestyle, and etc.

I think there should be a strategic way to group students for housing based on some kind of survey regarding their living styles.

About John Cabot University

Study abroad at an American liberal arts university in the fascinating city of Rome, Italy. John Cabot University is located in an historic Italian neighborhood, with unrivaled access to a wide range of campus facilities and nearby famous historical...