Study Abroad in Rome at John Cabot University

Study Abroad in Rome at John Cabot University

Study abroad next spring, summer, or fall at John Cabot University in Rome, Italy. Enroll directly in an American university operating abroad, allowing all of your credits to transfer easily to your home institution. Class sizes range from 12-15 students and are comprised of students from all over the world, allowing you to not only learn more about the Italian way of life but also many different cultures. Be sure to take advantage of the wide variety of trips and activities JCU offers to complement your studies!

Ready to have the best summer or semester of your life? Head over to our website for more information!

Europe » Italy » Rome
Social Sciences
Sociology
High School Diploma
Visa Requirement
Students may transfer federal financial aid to JCU; scholarships available.

It depends on the classes. I took it easy for the time I studied abroad and took a lot of art and photography classes, which were relatively easy. Some of my roommates took harder classes such as business classes and said they were quite rigorous.
The Gianiccolo apartments are awesome. Great proximity to the heart of Rome and are located in a nice part of Trastevere.
There are a lot of study abroad students that change every semester. There are many Italian students and students from other parts of the world as well.

Olivia
NYC

Best experience of my life!

I attended JCU as a degree seeking student. During my studies I met people from all around the world. What I enjoyed most about my experience was the discussions that would happen inside the classroom. Because the student body is so diverse, I got to learn so much from my fellow classmates. The professors are incredible as well. They go above and beyond to help their students succeed. I am very happy with my experience at JCU.

carly
Rome

Earning an American Degree at JCU

I will graduate John Cabot University (JCU) this coming May 2017, and could not be happier with my undergrad experience. JCU is more than just a four year university, it is a tight-knit community of diverse students and staff. Due to the small class size I received incredible one on one attention from professors, which helped me to understand topics more in depth and motivate me to try my hardest. The student body is extremely diverse, I developed friendships with people from all over the world, friends who I will have for life, and that was really the best gift JCU gave me. I highly recommend anyone who is open minded and willing to immerse themselves in a new culture to do their undergrad at JCU.

Darian
Waco, Texas
Baylor University

Don't Miss Out

Studying abroad in Rome changed my life for the better. Here I met the love of my life, I gained life-long friends and we all share a special bond that few people in the world get to experience, I learned a new language, stuffed my face with some amazing food, enjoy (never) one too many glasses of wine and I wouldn't trade one day I had here for anything in the world. It inspired me to pursue my dreams of living abroad and I intend to do so in the next couple of years!

Just the efficiency, but they are wonderfully helpful.

Lizzie
Chicago, Il
Saint Louis University

I recomend to everyone

So great! Best location I could ask for, very safe, great program.
When I was staying there, John Paul the 2nd was being canonized. Due to the excellent location of the school and dorm, I was able to wake up early on the morning of and join all of the people who had been sleeping in the street in front of the Vatican the previous night. It was a once in a lifetime experience.
Studying abroad is all about what you make of it. With John Cabot, you really can't go wrong.

Less strict housing rules. Everyone in the dorms/apartments is in their 20's and have lived on their own before. The rules make it seem like freshman year again. It's overall worth it for safety but that deterred many people.

Keri
New York, NY

Wonderful study abroad experience

I studied abroad here my spring semester of 2008. Totally worthwhile. Most valuable experience I've ever had. The school is nestled in a part of Rome that is far away from the tourist spots, which gave the experience a much more authentic Rome feel.

Matthew
Boston, Massachusetts
Northeastern University

Great Experience

John Cabot was an awesome experience. The location of the school couldn't be better. Trastevere is in walking distance to anywhere you would want to go in Rome but still feels like a secluded neighborhood where you can really get to know the streets, restaurants, bars, etc. Rome is also a great location to be in if you plan to travel around Italy and Europe. The academics and long weekends at JCU definitely make it possible to travel every weekend if you want, as most study abroad students do. Only real con is the on campus living situation. I chose to get my own apartment because I had heard from previous students that the rules were a bit strict. Living off campus was one of the greatest decisions I made regarding my time there. It's way cheaper and you don't have to live by the ridiculous rules JCU has for dorms (no liquor, no open containers, no guests past 11 PM, etc.)

Adjust the rules for living on campus. I understand safety needs to be maintained but it could definitely be made more accommodating while maintaining safety.

Paola
El Paso, Texas

Living the Art History

The experience I had over seas was something that I will be able to cherish for the rest of my life. My memories are so vivid I revive moments that I had in places I never thought I would be. I had never traveled to Europe before I decided to study abroad. I knew this was the perfect moment for me to enrich my life culturally. I wanted to learn from people and their mentalities and I wanted to explore the earth. I decided to travel before heading to my program and I was able to travel by plane, train,Ferrys and cars to Neatherlands, Belgium, England, Ireland, France, Spain, and Italy. I finally arrived to my program destination in Rome, Italy. The program I chose was based on Art history and I had the opportunity to live a magnificent experience of traveling and living this art history experience. My life was transformed in many ways, not just intellectually and culturally but mentally as well. I no longer see things the same way. I have been enlightened and my mind now has many different angles of seeing life. I am forever changed for better.

John
Madison, Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin- Madison

GO ABROAD

Rome is the most incredible place in the world to live. Every time you walk anywhere you go past monuments and architecture that is older than the United States. There is an endless amount to see and do in the city, it is far more than just the Vatican, Colosseum, and monuments that you have heard of. I was there for four months and feel like I only saw half of the city. There are a million different place to go in Europe and I suggest that you explore as many of them as you can. But there is no better place to call home when you're over there than Rome.

The housing and rules of housing are not perfect but there is not much the program can do about this. It does not take away from the overall experience of the program

Sharon
Boston, MA

John Cabot University

John Cabot University offers a familiar education system for American study abroad students and offers a good transition into Roman life. The campus is in a great location in Trastevere which is right across the river and a relatively short walk to all the major sights in Rome. There is a lot to do and explore in Rome and definitely a great place to be if you want the chance to travel throughout Italy and even Europe. I found that many of the students who were also studying abroad there were very interested into the nightlife and bar/club scene but it's also possible to do other things and have fun immersing into all the other activities of Rome. John Cabot University is almost 50% degree seeking students and 50% abroad students, and abroad students tend to make more communities of friends with other American students than the local/degree seeking students so it is not the best program to choose if you want a program where you are always immersed into Italian culture, language, lifestyle, and etc.

I think there should be a strategic way to group students for housing based on some kind of survey regarding their living styles.

Eric
New Brunswick, New Jersey
Rutgers University

John Cabot, A Great Time Abroad

John Cabot University was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Not only did I get to explore Rome, I got to meet amazing people along the way. The roommates and friends I met are among some of my best friends now and although we're back in the United States, we still talk every day!

Theresa
Milwaukee
Marquette University

John Cabot

I traveled nearly every weekend, but the best moments were the ones where I can back to Rome, because It really started to feel like home. Walking through the streets, knowing that I was more than just a tourist, was an amazing feeling. I felt like I belonged in the midst of that history, especially after the classes that I took through John Cabot. Particularly, the onsite classes allowed me insight into the city that was beyond normal tourism. We saw things that I never would have seen had I only been a tourist in Rome. And I learned things I never would have learned. I think the best moment in my onsite class was when my class got to take a tour of the catacombs under St. Peter's Basilica. It was a unique, amazing, and once in a lifetime experience that I never would even have known about if not for my class. It was so moving to learn the history of St. Peter's and then to actually stand within it.

Some of the classes expected a lot of work to be done when my primary goal was to travel and experience Rome. I would have preferred to have less outside work, or more onsite activities, even in classes that didn't directly relate to Rome.

Bekah
Allendale, michigan
Grand Valley State University

Good central location to travel

Since the school itself is not difficult, it leaves you with much time to travel the world and experience different atmospheres, people, and cultures. That was probably one of the best parts about to school was that it was located near 2 airports so it was easy access to travel.

I'm not sure what kind of school reputation they are going for, but it is not very difficult. But I wouldn't necessarily change that because I still learned a lot in school and in travel.

Nathan
Alameda, CA
Willamette University

Rome is Home

Rome is one of the greatest cities in the world. There is always something new to see, and the food is, well, wonderful. My favorite part is the architecture; its amazing how buildings and monuments that were built over 2000 years ago are still around. The city just has so much history. The weather is nice, and so are the Italians.
The other great thing about JCU specifically is you get 3 day weekends every week. This means you have more time to travel, whether its around Rome, Italy, or Europe (Discount airlines are your friend).

My favorite thing I did all year was go to the Amalfi Coast (south of Rome, near Napoli), and go to Oktoberfest in Munich. It is something you have to do if you are there in the Fall.

I also wrote a guide with all my favorite countries, places, and tips/tricks for Rome, Italy, and other places in Europe. Feel free to contact me and I can send that over, no problem.

The alcohol rules and the guest rules for the Gianicolo apartments were a little too strict.

Andrea
Rome, Italy

La Citta Eterna

JCU is the mos amaizing experience ever. Everything about it is fun. Professors are great they are all international graduated from prestigous schools and they are passionate about what they do. JCU is just perfect its the best of both worlds, american university in the most beautiful city.

Emily
Wisconsin

Rome is Your Campus

I loved my experience at John Cabot University because of the small university environment in a large city setting. Not only do the faculty members bring a significant level of experience to the table, especially in terms of international affairs and organizations, but Rome offers a range of experiences in the same sector. Every student has the opportunity to apply classroom knowledge to his/her own community. Shortened classes (or no classes) on Fridays also left a lot of time for travel, study, work, or internships.

I wish that the university would have done more to coordinate student life activities and athletic opportunities. Having a quality fitness center would have greatly enhanced the experience.

Study abroad at an American liberal arts university in the fascinating city of Rome, Italy. John Cabot University is located in an historic Italian neighborhood, with unrivaled access to a wide range of campus facilities and nearby famous historical attractions. Credits can easily transfer to