Study Abroad in Rome at John Cabot University

At Pompei discussing architecture with the archeologists!
Sunsets on top of the Michelangelo hill in Firenze!
In front of the breathtaking painted houses in Burano, Italy. Most beautiful place I have ever been, no doubt.
Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany. One of the best experiences of my life.
Street wall art depicting the directions of many of the important places in Rome.
Study Abroad in Rome at John Cabot University

Study abroad in the fall, spring, or summer at John Cabot University. As an American university abroad, JCU allows your credits to transfer easily to your home institution. With small, discussion-based classes and students from all over the world, you will learn about the Italian way of life as well as other cultures.

Our services include a comprehensive orientation program with airport pick-up, nearby housing options with resident assistants, and a health and wellbeing office. Get involved in our clubs, organizations, community service programs, and athletics. Be sure to take advantage of the wide variety of trips and activities JCU offers to complement your studies!

• John Cabot University's student body represents over 70 countries, so your university experience will be truly international. Explore different perspectives in the classroom and learn more about other cultures simply by spending time with your new friends
  • Our campuses in the historic center of Rome are beautiful, and our central location provides easy access to Rome's train stations and airports, facilitating weekend trips throughout Italy and Europe.
  • JCU's professors are international experts in their fields who hold advanced degrees from the world's top institutions, and continue to work and conduct research while teaching. Our small class sizes allow professors to get to know students individually.
  • Our comprehensive student life program includes clubs, community service, athletics, performing arts, cultural activities, and trips throughout Italy, which allow you to make friends while you gain leadership and team-building skills.
  • Rome is Italy's capital, home to government institutions, embassies, multinational corporations, museums, etc. so you will be able to partake in internships that would impress any employer.

Hi Sydney, yes JCU's classes run from Monday to Thursday which provides students with an extended weekend that is perfect for brief trips!

Hi Lauren! It really depends on what kind of living experience you're looking for. The Gianicolo and Trastevere residences house only JCU students in apartments, and provide 24/7 security, as well as onsite RAs; the Gianicolo residence is also entirely substance free. We also offer the option of living in external apartments, in buildings that also house tenants who do not belong to the JCU...

Hi Katelyn, Thank you for your interest in John Cabot University! You do not have to be enrolled at a university in order to study abroad at John Cabot. We have independent study abroad programs which you could apply for. I am attaching a link here where you can find all the information on how to apply. If you have any questions at all feel free to reach out to me directly at oaustin@johncabot.edu...

Yes, this institution offers postgraduate courses.

eleonora

The best experience in my life

I am Eleonora, a Communication student at John Cabot University. I'm from Rome but every time I enter in th JCU's buildings it's like entering in another world. There's a truly international atmosphere that is exactly what entices students to travel and study at JCU. Here, we get to know and discover new cultures and traditions. JCU abounds of extracurricular activities such as Clubs, that attract students making them an active part of the student life. Last year, I joined the Fashion Club where I had the opportunity to travel around Italy to visit and get to know the brands that have made the "Made in Italy" a business model appreciated all over the world. In short, a truly unique experience for those cannot stand still. Another experience to try here at JCU is the Athletics department. You can be part of the sports teams, compete at national and international level, always travelling in the name of sport and fun. I'm grateful to be a John Cabot student, I really couldn't have made a better choice than this.

What was your funniest moment?
During my second semester, since I was part of the fashion club's board, I had to organize the multicultural fashion show. It was a big event that needed the participation of musicians, cameraman, models, make up artists, and hair-stylists. Obviously, they were all JCU students who had the opportunity to put in practice their passions. It was a magic experience. we were so excited when we listened at the final audience's prolonged applause that made us so proud of what we did. We really had lot of fun and from that moment, every semester we reorganize the fashion show trying to recreate that exact atmosphere.
Carolina

Studying Abroad at JCU

What makes JCU such an academically and culturally rich university is its student body and professors. Additionally, JCU combined the best qualities of an American liberal arts college with the history and culture of the Eternal City, which have challenged me both personally and professionally. Another unique characteristic of JCU is the small clasroom size, which allows you to study the topics in depth. Rome is also a great city to travel from. Countless opportunities for students who would like to be challenged, such as doing an internship or travel every week.

Discover Rome and the italian culture as much as you can
Mouss

JCU BY MOUSS

Well-Rounded University with helpful professors and a diversified student body. Expect to study to avoid any surprisingly complicated assignments and you'll be fine for the academics.
Academics are well balanced between courses that require a much-needed level of rigor and others that do not require rigor at all. It depends on your program and bachelor. Financial Accounting is complicated while the intro to Office Applications is not, for example...
Studying at JCU is a personal and cultural experience. The time I've spent here in Rome has definitely been worth the money. In addition, JCU tuition is cheaper than US private school tuition fees. Life in Europe is also pretty cool from the aspect of being able to afford traveling, as its much cheaper than in any other economic region.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Some friends of mine and it went to Todi, I ate a roasted pigeon, straight up.
Letizia

Great opportunities in Rome!

John Cabot University was the key that opened many doors such as: life experiences, internships and great friendships. I have been studying at JCU in Rome for two years now,
I was born and raised in Sicily but I lived in the States for a year where I finished my high school, and right after I fell in love with the American School System, right after I decided to pursue my education in an American University and that's how I found JCU, honestly I could not have wished for something better. Thanks to the Career Service Center I got an internship at the American Embassy of Rome, which is truly changing my life, especially since my biggest dream is being a diplomat. Professors are very competent and always available for any kind of problem you might have in Rome, in your life or, of course, academically. I think I'll remember most of my lectures for life because professors at JCU have something special, they are "humans" and really get you. Moreover, John Cabot is where I met people from all over the world, that truly showed me how to look at the world from different points of view, it's great to interact with people that have very different background or stories. I could not have wished to study in any other place, if not, in the heart of Rome.

Letizia

Great opportunities in Rome!

Costa

Amazing

The overall experience is positive, and here is why: professors do their best so that one could succeed, the university is very multicultural, campuses are just gorgeous as well as the area they are located in (lots of cool places one could go to, party), the food on campus is way better than in any school in the US (personal experience). JCU offers a bunch of housing options some of them fairly better than others (Gianicolo - amazing, Lungara - feels like a 4star hotel), The university is the process of constant renewal: every semester they improve lots of things, even open new study areas.

Kate

Rome is a fabulous city!

As a history buff, I loved being in Rome for my junior year! John Cabot offers a variety of on-site classes, which further enhances any study abroad experience. There is truly nothing like meeting at the Roman Forum for your history class!! The professors expect you to be in class so make sure you know their attendance policy. It's a great opportunity to meet friends from all over the US, Italy, and the world in your classes at JCU. Also, JCU plans activities for students to participate in-- you simply, aren't "on your own". The housing provided by the university was updated and clean. Trastevere is a great neighborhood in Rome to take classes and live. Around every corner you will find something new- a church, a restaurant, or cafe- you can really never stop exploring this city. Overall it was fabulous experience!

It would be great if more classes could be offered.
Linnea

Incredible experience

John Cabot gave me the academic challenge I wanted, while also allowing me to travel frequently. I felt like I was learning in multiple aspects. In the classroom and in the city, I enjoyed an incredibly enrichening experience. John Cabot aided me with all the resources I needed to feel safe and confident while abroad. Whether it was asking for directions or getting my washing machine fixed, John Cabot was always there for support. The apartment housing is in a prime location and a terrific neighborhood suited for an authentic experience.

Sydney

Spring Semester Abroad

Could not have had a better semester abroad in Rome at JCU. The students,staff, and apartments we're amazing.

The administration strives to make your experience as easy as possible. When you arrive they provide an extensive orientation program. The professors are experts in their field and provided me the best possible education abroad. My apartment was a 5 minute walk from the campus. It was also close to many shops and restaurants as well as the center of Rome. The apartment was spacious and clean.

Would highly recommend!

Emma

Do it!

Overall I had some mishaps being in a new country, however, all struggles I had were worth it. The language isn't as much of an issue as people claim it to me. I had a worse time adjusting to relaxed scheduling of Europeans. They are almost accustomed to things going wrong so people are often late. No one seems to get angered as easily about messing another's routine up either. The academics could be enhanced by giving more attention to students who wish to seek it. However, a lot of this program encouraged me to get out of my comfort zone and to find my own answers.

I wish my RA understood American norms so we could've had a better connection.
Juliana

I loved studying here

John Cabot is a great place to study abroad! The campuses are in a great location in Trastevere also known as the college neighborhood but the school is also close to all of the major attractions in Rome. The classes are relaxed but still engaging and the school is a great way to meet other American students but also other students and professors from around the world. They also have many events and opportunities on campus to get involved. I would highly recommend John Cabot for anyone looking to study abroad or study at a four-year school.

Matthew

John Cabot University- Summer/Fall Study Abroad

Studying at John Cabot University for four months was a great experience! For anyone thinking about going abroad anytime soon, I will tell you this about the JCU program:

Studying in Italy is the greatest location not only because of the country's own immersive culture and delicacies, but its proximity and cheap travel cost to other countries in Europe.

John Cabot University was a great school to be at, with comfortable/safe housing and teachers who were easily understandable.

Don't worry about not knowing the language, because wherever you go in Rome/Florence, most people will understand English and will be very friendly toward you.

When I studied at JCU I was only a freshman in my first semester of college. Be that as it may, I couldn't think of a better way to start my college experience.

Fix the garbage collection/recycling system... just open all of the cans everyday.
Lia

One Semester was Not Enough

So, in my last weeks of the sophomore year, I learned about an opportunity to spend a semester abroad. I had a full list of countries and universities to choose from. I already knew I wanted to go to Europe, so this shortened my area of choice. Eventually, I decided that I want my study abroad experience to feel cozy. And where better to spend it than in Italy? Especially, in Rome!
I am so happy with my choice of the university: it is located in the historic heart of the city, Trastevere. I rented an apartment very close to it, and this was a big part of my experience. I think if you choose John Cabot then better stay to it as close as possible. Every famous monument is of a close reach, and there are many events organized nearby! The only downside is that the metro is a bit far.
What about academics, I highly suggest taking an art class. I didn't even consider it as a class because I enjoyed it so much.

Olivia

Best experience of my life!

I attended JCU as a degree seeking student. During my studies I met people from all around the world. What I enjoyed most about my experience was the discussions that would happen inside the classroom. Because the student body is so diverse, I got to learn so much from my fellow classmates. The professors are incredible as well. They go above and beyond to help their students succeed. I am very happy with my experience at JCU.

carly

Earning an American Degree at JCU

I will graduate John Cabot University (JCU) this coming May 2017, and could not be happier with my undergrad experience. JCU is more than just a four year university, it is a tight-knit community of diverse students and staff. Due to the small class size I received incredible one on one attention from professors, which helped me to understand topics more in depth and motivate me to try my hardest. The student body is extremely diverse, I developed friendships with people from all over the world, friends who I will have for life, and that was really the best gift JCU gave me. I highly recommend anyone who is open minded and willing to immerse themselves in a new culture to do their undergrad at JCU.