Free Summer TEFL Program in China!

Interested in traveling abroad this summer? Join Gotoco in China to gain a TEFL certificate and useful work experience in teaching, education and activity leadership. No prior experience in China, Chinese or teaching is required—just a passion for education and travel.
All FREE and FUNDED:
- Earn a TEFL certificate (Teaching of English as a Foreign Language)
- Explore China and its diverse culture
- Learn some Mandarin, and take part in fun cultural exchange activities
- Gain valuable work experience and references
- Begin a summer of backpacking across Asia
- Give Chinese students the chance to experience a new style of teaching
- See stunning scenery, including the Karst mountains around Yangshuo, Guangxi
- Check our website for more information: www.go-to.co

**Gotoco is a social enterprise focused on boosting cultural exchange and exploration opportunities between China and the West. One of our main projects is our annual China Summer Camp TEFL Teaching project. Join us!

• Free/funded (*no fees for participation!)
  • TEFL Certification included
  • Travel around China (dual location projects - all culminating in a stay at our mountain base in Yangshuo)

• Benefits 8.6
  • Facilities 8.4
Tim

Apply to Gotoco!

I would highly recommend participating in this programme. No matter what location you are in, whether rural or urban, you will gain and learn an extraordinary amount as well as having a fantastic experience in a country that is so different to the domestic countries that Gotoco participants originate from. Furthermore, gaining a TEFL certificate is a great qualification to have and is almost a bonus on top of having a great summer away. The application is really easy and accommodating and it's a great idea if you want to do something a bit different with your summer!

Mattia

Everything was just perfect

My program in Rongxian was perfect. I have enjoyed every single moment in China and my experience was absolutely great. The program was aimed to help kids with little English to start learning a few words and sentences and it was organised in a perfect way. The city, around 5 hours by bus from Guangzhou (very close to the border with HK) was easily reachable and with plenty of coaches to get there. Before arrival, the information given helped me organising better my trip and preparing for my teaching experience. Getting a TEFL qualification with basically no cost while growing professionally, academically and personally was definitely an experience I would do again!

Amelia

Great experience at little cost

Gotoco enabled me to teach in China and gain a TEFL qualification and very little cost to myself. I was put on an interesting, fun and rewarding camp and made some great new friends. I loved the 5 nights in Yangshuo and they were really helpful when I needed them.
I learnt how to spell my name in Chinese which was cool! I also really enjoyed getting to know the kids in my group well and we’d have a good laugh! The other camp leaders totally made my experience out here and we had such a fun time together, it was like we’d known eachother forever. We organised hiking and beach days. t has given me valuable teaching skills as well as improving my confidence overall. I have also got to see a part of the world I’d never thought I would.

For us to get help / guidance with travel around China, it was complicated to work out!
Anna

Gotoco

I really enjoyed my experience with Gotoco and I have gained so much experience and independence, through both working and travelling. I also hope to be able to use the TEFL certificate in the future. It was such a productive and fun way to spend summer and meet new people, and I felt that teaching was a great way of seeing a country.
For me, some of the most enjoyable moments were the cultural excursions: with G.R.E.A.T Summer Camp, we visited the Great Wall, which was amazing. With the second school, we visited an elderly care home, where the residents gave us lessons in traditional Chinese painting, calligraphy and dance.
I also thoroughly enjoyed the final camp (Anhui Beautiful Way) - the people were so friendly and most of our activities involved games and sports. There was also a week between the first and second camps, during which we were free to explore Beijing, and Richard recommended many things to do, which was very enjoyable.

Ana

A great experience

I had a really exciting experience abroad thanks to Gotoco. The school I volunteered was based in Dongxing which a small city on the border with Vietnam. I would never have had the opportunity to travel to this area of the country had I not taken part in this programme. I was also able to have a good amount of free time in addition to the teaching schedule. I learnt so much during my time away and I had a lot of fun

The participants need to be fully aware that they are going to have to live almost completely independently
Joseph

Fantastic!

I had an amazing time in China thanks to Gotoco. China itself is a fantastic country to visit. There is so much to do and see and the people are fantastic. The food is wonderful and so unique, just like everything in the country. The culture is so different to ours that it is also a very interesting place to visit.

The teaching itself was great fun. I learned a lot about how to teach, and what makes an effective lesson/teacher. Also, meeting the Chinese teachers was a blast. The way they handled a classroom was very different to the way it is done in the UK, which was a great learning experience.

To anyone considering it- do it! There's unlikely to be another teaching/travel opportunity this good again!

K

Efficient application process and a great opportunity

My application went smoothly and quickly, even though I left it until relatively late in the year. The programme that Gotoco found for me was good, and generally it was all a fabulous opportunity. Having accommodation, travel, and most food covered for me by the company really made the whole experience more accessible. I was also glad to get to see Yangshuo through the free post-programme holiday organised by Gotoco. If you’re looking to teach and go on an adventure in China, make sure to check it out!

Larissa

A great summer in China

Thanks to Gotoco, I found out about the opportunity to work in a summer camp in China, and I had a really good experience. One of the things I enjoyed the most during the trip was the job itself: the campers were enthusiastic, and working with kids gave back to me something that I had lost a while ago: the hope that tomorrow can be a good, and a better day. Making friends with the local and international counsellors was also an amazing experience, and it made me understand that sometimes you don't even need to speak the same language in order to get on well with someone and build wonderful friendships. Gotoco staff was always kind, friendly and helpful, and my queries were always dealt with quickly and effectively.

Henrik

Teachinglike

It was a really nice experience in overall. I loved to work for Gotoco, and they really tried to make the whole summer as good as possible. They helped us to book train tickets, hostels, and overall they did help as much as they could. The only thing that annoyed us througout the summer was that it took them way too much time to reply for emails, but as I meantioned above, in overall they were really nice and helpful.

Probably frequent replies to emails wuold be great.
Samira

Amazing experience!

A summer in china. A chance to submerge yourself in a new culture , to see wonderful sights me meet amazing people. And you get a TEFL certificate at the end of it. What's not to like?

Camp greenwoods via gotoco was truly special. You get to be a counsellor to children of all ages, you get to teach and participate in many of the activities. with the children , it can be tough at times and extremely tiring but you do end up missing them when they leave. And the other counsellors become your family during those 2 months. They go through the same hardships , the same excitement. You get to experience China in its entirety with these people. At the end, it's actually quite hard to leave because of how amazing it has been and how the people have made you view life in a whole new light. There aren't many people that you meet and can call friends for life.

If you are thinking of becoming a teacher and would like to travel , I 100 percent recommend Gotoco. You get the best of both worlds !

More detailed info about the program before we arrive in china.
Roisin

Great Experience

Had an amazing summer in China learning about the culture and getting to see the country, the highlight seeing the Great Wall. Would highly recommend anyone looking for a fun experience getting a TEFL qualification. I got to meet so many amazing people and made great memories, and through working here you get an in depth understanding of a culture which is vastly different from the western society I’m used to.

Elaine

Rewarding Experience

It was a wonderful opportunity for me to experience a completely different lifestyle in a scenic and suburb environment. I not only met lots of other foreign teachers with amazing personalities, but also got to interact with the kids and earned valuable experience in teaching. On this trip, I met many amazing people from different cultural backgrounds and age groups and it was a very mind-opening experience to be a part of this wonderful team. I had a chance to experience a different culture, gain a rewarding teaching experience, and improve my teaching/communication skills. I would definitely recommend Gotoco.

Khushi

Excellent experience

I had a really great time in China with Gotoco - the level of immersion was beyond my expectation and I felt like I learned a lot beyond the skillset that TEFL required of me. My time in Guangzhou was beyond my expectations and everything was handled well through Gotoco. Teaching was challenging but rewarding and the social aspect was great too, especially in how we were able to make friends with non-Gotoco Chinese TAs at the school. Would recommend.

Hamaad

Teacher for Gotoco

I would recommend Gotoco to my friends and have already recommended them to several friends. The experience is greatly enriching and is a great opportunity to see China and obtain a TEFL. Being able to try new food, understand a new culture and meet so many new people from China. My highlight was meeting so many great teachers who I am sure I will be in contact with for a great time.The lessons were not just me teaching Chinese students about English and western culture, it was also me being taught a great deal about Chinese culture. Most of the Mandarin I learnt was from students in class and I absolutely loved my excursions, especially to Xi'an and Suzhou.

Bit more information beforehand
Venshani

Great experience in China!

This is a new and fun way to experience a country and it’s culture. Having free accommodation enables you to stay for a longer period of time, meaning you have more time to see the surrounding area. Working with children gives you the immersion into Chinese culture and is a very fun activity! Overall I would recommend this programe highly. I think it is suited for those who have prior experience volunteering with kids and for those who don’t. There are many camps in China giving you the flexibity to be placed anywhere and the providers are very keen to help sort out a specific location if you were looking towards one! The 5 day free stay in Yangshuo is very fun and I definetely recommend that too.

About Gotoco

Since 2011, the Gotoco team has been helping students from around the globe to visit China.

Starting in Yangshuo, Guangxi six years ago, the Gotoco team has built up an extensive network of summer camp partners all over China. Daniel and Richard...