By Hutong School   Reviews (40)   91% Rating

Hutong School: Study Chinese in Beijing & Shanghai

By Hutong School   Reviews (40)   91% Rating

Study Chinese in Beijing or Shanghai! Hutong School offers a unique Chinese study abroad program in China. Located in the city centres with personalised lessons for all students, Hutong School ensures you have the opportunity to learn Chinese at your own pace. Classes are focused on small groups with an average of 4-5 students per class, ensuring that you make the most out of your study abroad experience in China! Every student has a personalised one-on-one plan, taught by our enthusiastic bi-lingual teachers who have excellent academic backgrounds and interpersonal skills. Classes are offered year-round at the beginning of every month!

Asia › China › Shanghai
Chinese
Cost
- Chinese classes (20h/week)
- Accommodation (all utilities included)
- Cultural activities (2-3/ week)
- Airport pick-up
- 24/7 general assistance
0.00

Rating Values

Bart
Shanghai
DeVry University

Interesting to discover language, culture and people

Overall 8

I had a great stay in Shanghai. I did an internship in the hospital and twice a week I studied Chinese in the evening. The Hutong school helped me with applying my visa and they were always ready to help me for small questions. The people who work for the Hutong School in Shanghai were really open minded and were always in for a talk. Besides the Chinese lessons there were also a lot of cultural activities. These activities have learned me to understand the Chinese culture and during these activities I have met a lot of new people, many of them have become my friends!

Thanks for all :)

Reed
Chicago, IL, USA
University of Connecticut

Intensive Language Program - Shanghai

Overall 10

As I am typing this, I am almost 2 months through a 5 month intensive language program at Hutong in Shanghai. Like many people reading this review, I was once searching the internet trying to decide which language school would be the best for me. I can confidently say that Hutong was undoubtedly the right choice among all the school options.

First, and most importantly, my Mandarin teacher is simply exceptional. She is incredibly patient with every student and knows proper teaching techniques to help us develop our Mandarin. It is easy to tell that she truly cares about my classmates and I. She dedicates herself to making sure we understand everything that she is teaching, which is crucial for such a difficult language like this. Also, her schedule is very flexible too, which is a huge benefit for us students. I came to Shanghai with absolutely zero knowledge of the language. After nearly two months, my Mandarin has substantially improved to the point where I feel confident in my ability to make it through the every day interactions with the local people using only what I've learned. I'm still excited to figure out how much more I can master in another 3 months.

The staff at Hutong are exceptional. They are a close-knit group who are very easily accessible, if you need it, and are very friendly. They organize a few events every week, which helps with getting to meet other students in the school. Some examples of the events they organize are KTV (karaoke) nights, welcome parties at a bar, archery in the evening, Mahjong lessons, and more. I would highly recommend these events, as it is probably the best way to meet the wonderful staff and other students.

Perhaps the only thing I would mark Hutong down for are the apartments. While I can't speak for every student's living situation, the bedroom I started off in was quite small. There was barely enough room for a bed, a closet, and a dresser. The other bedrooms in my apartment were quite larger though. Because every student is on a different schedule here, I think I got lucky, as a couple of my original roommates returned back home, so I was able to move into a larger room. Don't let this deter you from Hutong though. The apartment itself was more than suitable and my roommates have become some of my closest friends here. Hutong has hired a maid to come to each apartment and clean it a couple times a week as well. If there is an issue with your living situation, just contact the staff and they can probably move you into another apartment if you wish. Besides, you shouldn't even be in your room that much when in a large city like Shanghai!

Overall, you'd be doing yourself a favor by choosing Hutong. I can't imagine that a better Mandarin school even exists. Hutong has greatly exceeded all of my expectations. They definitely really do care about your progress with the language and your comfort in the city.

John
Shanghai, China
Tulane University

Great Intensive Program

Overall 10

I came to Hutong in February for an intensive Mandarin program for 3 months. So far I am halfway through and I am learning so much! I feel my Mandarin proficiency improving everyday and look forward to taking the HSK 4 next month. Over just three months, my class will have covered material for the HSK 3 and 4, so we definitely move at a rapid pace. I recommend this program for anyone looking to immerse themselves in the language daily and wanting to experience life in such an awesome city. Hutong puts on many programs every week that makes meeting other students very easy. From game nights to organizing dinners and bar nights together, there is always something going on. There are many students from all over the world, so there is plenty of cultural exposure, even beyond Chinese culture. This program is great and I think it is the step to take if you are looking to see a dramatic improvement in your Mandarin level.

Paz
Argentina

I will definitely go back!

Overall 10

Doing the Intensive Chinese Program at Hutong School was actually one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I decided to go to this school (all the way from Argentina!) after lots of research, and I'm sure I made the correct choice!

From the first moment I had a program consultant who helped me with everything, even with the visa process; when I arrived they fetch me in the airport, they showed me my neighborhood, the way to the school and to my apartment, wich was actually nice and well located.

Every day I would take the metro to the school and have four hours of group class, my teacher Rebecca, a native Chinese of course, was kind and patient but also made us study a lot, wich help me sat for HSK 2 exam at the end of my staying.

The school staff is so nice, they are very welcoming, always available and ready to help; they also organize cultural activities every week, wich helps not only to get to know the Chinese culture but also to meet other students from all over the world and get to make friends.

I actually enjoyed my time at Hutong School and would definitely go back :)!

None
Cheryl
Katy

Great time!

Overall 10

I was placed in an internship by Hutong School for 1 month, and it was fantastic! I stayed in an apartment in the middle of the city, right on the subway line. The apartment was in a very convenient location and let me explore the city with my friends. I also enjoyed the structure of the apartment, as I got my own room but also had flatmates. I got to meet other people from around the world as well, and we had a great time together! The apartment was well-furnished and in great condition. Thank you Hutong for a great time in Shanghai!

Alexander
Tilburg, Netherlands

Living in Shanghai

Overall 10

Ni hao - I have been to Shanghai to do an internship for an automotive supplying company for two month in 2015! I would have loved to stay longer but it is quite hard to get a visa to do so!
Everything beside my work was organized by Hutong School... accomodation, trips and of course language courses
It is a lot of fun to learn Mandarin and to explore this totally different culture! Through the school and its events get get in touch with a lot of other students which makes the stay much more enjoyable!
My accomodation although it was about 2 hours away from my office was fantastic - we had three balconies on the 28th floor which provided a stunning view over Shanghai and its monuments!
Zai tian

Maybe a better connection between the local students who are in the city!
Laurence
Bruges

Definitely going back!

Overall 10

I followed the Intensive Chinese Program in Shanghai and had classes everyday from Monday to Friday, 4 hours a day, so my Chinese really improved on a daily basis!

I was really surprised by how much we were taught in one day and was happy that I got to expand my vocabulary so quickly. My teacher's English was really good and she taught in a very structured way. She also gave us homework everyday and from time to time we had a small test, something I definitely appreciated because this really encourages you to study and practice your Mandarin after school hours.

Besides teaching Mandarin, Hutong School also organizes weekly activities, ranging from cooking classes to tai chi, movie nights or even trips to other cities in China. Like this, you meet a lot of new people and you're constantly immersing yourself in the Chinese culture.

I loved everything about my stay in China and I would definitely want to go back! Highly recommended :)

Melanie
Maplewood, NJ
University of Maryland

China From A New (And Better) Angle

Overall 10

I was born in China and have been back eight times, and the last, with Hutong School was the first time I felt like I belonged in China. The perfect balance of academics, social events, and independent living made for a truly unforgettable experience. I had the opportunity to experience the city in my own way, with freedom to explore with new friends. We all lived in close proximity to each other, and with the added class time, grew close within a number of days.

The accommodations were clean, friendly, and located in flats shared with full-time residents. It gave a unique view into the city, as we were not in student-only housing. I was able to say hello to my 40-year old neighbor with a 3-year old daughter every morning. Most of the accommodations were located three-four tube stops away from the school, so my classmates and I were able to enjoy a morning commute. The school was a short walk from the tube station, and it was a beautiful walk each day.

If I could give the staff a 12 or of 10, I would. Early into my visit, I injured my foot badly and required hospitalization. The staff went above and beyond to make sure I was comfortable. It was daunting to be in an international hospital with very little language skills and no parents, but there always was a translator available. Furthermore, many staff members would simply stop by to visit, just to make sure that I was doing alright.

The social scene in Shanghai is wonderful. It was difficult to branch out at first, but Hutong School made it easy with their social events. They planned overnight trips to Beijing, and day trips to Suzhou. Additionally, we met at bars several times to get to know each other. The staff attended these events and we were able to hang out with them, as friends. As we got more comfortable with the city, Hutong School gave recommendations of great places for nightlife.

I connect with China on an extremely personal level. Hutong School classes allowed me to learn Chinese at my own pace, and by the end of my time in China, I was able to communicate with others around me. The classes were small, capped at seven students. Each teacher gave us a true one-on-one experience, and pushed our abilities as far as they could. I have become inspired by the program that Hutong School has put forth, and would recommend it in a heartbeat.

I think that their health safety measures could be taken a bit more seriously by their employees. When I injured my foot, the employee originally brought me to a people's hospital, even though a western hospital was located nearby. As a result, my injury had a few complications. However, I believe that the staff has enforced these rules since my accident, and have given their employees further information of where to send their students. At the end of the day, I didn't mind being their guinea pig.
Felicitas
Netherlands

Amazing Experience in Shanghai

Overall 9

I spend almost half a year in Shanghai doing a Chinese beginners course. I loved the whole experience but the best thing in China is definitely the food! It is amazing how you can eat every day something new without eating once the same thing! On every corner, at every time of the day or night you will find this little restaurants where you can eat home made traditional food. I can just recommend to try everything you get to try and do not be shy about things that might look a bit weird. About the Hutong School in Shanghai, staff and teachers are super friendly and helpful, but you have to be disciplined or very motivated if you want to learn Chinese. There are no strict rules you have to follow, no proper tests you have to prepare for except for the HSK, therefore, I would recommend to try to keep the track in the classes if your goal is to learn the language!
But my absolute top experience (which is not that much Hutong School related) during my stay in China was when I made a trip to Tibet. If you are in China, this is one destination which is so mind blowing I can not even describe it!

More tests/exams, so you feel obliged to study in your free time.
Patrick
Aalen, Germany

Awesome experience

Overall 9

It was lots of fun joining this language school.
I'm still in contact with teachers from there.
They regularly offered trips to local places and even proxy places.
Unfortunately I never joined these because I was busy doing my thesis there.
The language school was mandatory for obtaining the 6 months visa.

Christiaan
Amsterdam

Ting bu dong no more!

Overall 10

Doing a language program at Hutong School was probably one of the best ideas I had!

My teachers was very competent and helped me improve my language skills on a daily basis (even though I wasn't the best student you can imagine). I was able to focus on the topics I wanted to while being part of an awesome International community.

The school is located in the centre of Shanghai and many times I could practice my Chinese with locals while being at a restaurant or simply walking down the streets.

The staff was really helpful from the moment I arrived to the moment I left, I am and I will recommend this school to my friends. Hopefully we'll come together again very soon : )

Anna
Shanghai

Great teachers and atmosphere

Overall 10

This is the second time for me at Hutong School in Shanghai. As before I was met by friendly staff eager to help both with practical problems and with making the most out of studying and living in Shanghai. The teachers are great and the groups are small.

The school itself is located in a really nice part of Shanghai with a metro station within 5 minutes walk. It is surrounded by both cheaper local restaurants and more expensive foreign restaurants and shops for those who are feeling homesick.

Every week there are activities organised by the school to get to know Shanghai and Chinese culture. It's easy to get to know other students through the activities and while waiting for classes in the common room in the office. Every now and then there are weekend trips at affordable prices to scenic areas outside Shanghai.

I've had fun in class, during activities and school trips and I definitely recommend Hutong School to anyone wanting to learn Chinese!

Emilie
BRUSSELS, BELGIUM

STUDY WITH FUN

Overall 10

Nice school, where you can learn good and fast! Excellent teacher who are aware of what's your needs and what you wanna learn, and of your level.They try to make their class fun and useful. And Beijing is an amazing place!

Better houses to sleep, cleaner.
Patrizio
Rome, Italy

Incredible and unexpected experience

Overall 10

I have been travelling all over the world since I was 12 but I never had an experience like this. China is wonderful and Hutong School is super organized. Classes, trips, activities, welcome parties, everything in the right place! I had the chance to improve my chinese and at the same time to know incredible people from all over the world. I would recommend it to everyone!

Gregory
Durham
Durham University

Incredible teaching with an amazing experience

Overall 9

The teaching at Hutong School is of a really high standard, better than other schools I have experienced. They cater lessons to your abilities, and have assistance at the ready in case you have any problems. My Chinese level increased very rapidly enough for me to feel confident enough to pass the HSK level 3. The Shanghai school was perfectly located and everything I needed for my stay, I could find it around Hutong School. Extra curricular classes were a lot of fun as well, with anything from cultural visits, Chinese painting, Tai chi and my favourite dumpling making class!

Although a bit pricey, it really was worth it.
Rhea
United Kingdom
School of Oriental and African Studies

Living in Beijing and studying at The Hutong School

Overall 7

After studying Mandarin at SOAS University in London(a hilarious but unfortunate name as SOAS means STD in Dutch..) I decided to further develop my language skills in Beijing and my choice of institute was The Hutong School.

The Hutong School not only offer language classes (from beginner to advanced) but also help with accommodation, visa (which is a little more complicated when not visiting for tourism), finding cheap tickets and anything you could possibly need help with. They also organise social events, which is nice when living somewhere you don't actually know anyone.

After a 10+ hour flight with a short stopover in Helsinki I arrived early in the morning. I picked up my suitcase, made my way to the exit and looked for the Hutong School representative.

The representative in question was no less than Bruce Lee himself. No, I'm serious, 1.71m, black hair, died 41 years ago.. Well, I guess the name was just a mere coincidence. Anyways, Bruce Lee was just lovely and I would meet him quite a few times during my stay in Beijing.
He took me to my apartment and on top of being picked up by China's most famous actor,Bruce informed me that my neighbour was none other that Jackie Chan himself! I staked out but never caught a glimpse..

My apartment was located in Dongzhimen, a really nice and central location only 4 bus stops from the school, 2 stops to Tiananmen Sq. and 2 tube stops from Dongsi and Dengshikou where I usually stay when in Beijing.
The apartment was, as I guess could have been expected, not quite as "nice" as presented on the website. There were cockroaches, it was dirty and located in a building that was generally pretty run down. However, this too had it's charm and as the location was great and a proper clean improved it a lot, I called it home.

I had 4 roommates; a Dutch guy who arrived the same day I did and would be there for 4 months doing an internship at the Dutch embassy whist learning Chinese, two Columbian brothers who had been in Beijing for 7 months, an American guy who had lived in China for 2 years already and worked for The Hutong School at the time.

After settling in, Bruce took me to register with the local police, as a "resident" you need to register and always carry this form with you. He quickly showed me where the supermarket was and took me to The Hutong School to get a level assessment, arrange my schedule and to meet my teachers.
The school is, well, on the contrary of what one would expect and is implied by the name, not actually located in the Hutongs (traditional Chinese style courtyards & houses), but located on Sanlitun bar street - probably the most popular tourist street in Beijing - think Kao San Rd in Bangkok. Not to mention the school, quite opposite of a house in the Hutongs, is a massive skyscraper with The Hutong School located on the 15th floor. Obviously less charming but it did make for great views.

I had a 2 hour private class every day and my teachers were just lovely (as were the rest of The Hutong School staff my I add).Being in China and constantly being immersed in Chinese improved my Mandarin so much.

Definitely cleaner apartments (cockroach free!), better lesson plans & guidance and more activities.
Provider Response

Dear Rhea,

Many thanks for your review. As we always strive to keep improving our services, we mostly appreciate any feedback! I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at Hutong School and I hope you still keep speaking Chinese!

As for the apartment, cockroaches unfortunately are inevitably present in Asia. We were however aware of the problem, and the apartment has been made cockroach free.

As you mention, we can improve our lesson plans & guidance, I touched base with our education staff in Beijing, and they didn’t receive any complaints from you regarding this during your stay. We would be happy to know why you were unhappy with your lesson plan and the guidance you received so we can make improvements for our future students. Feel free to shoot us an email anytime ([email protected]).

Thanks again for the review Rhea and wishing you all the best!
-Haike

Amerigo
Shanghai, China

Shanghai branch

Overall 9

When i first applied online to the courses the first thought i had was "people will be cold and heartless, foreigner school in china...doesn't sound like a good deal".
I couldn't have been more wrong. The first contact with the staff was through email and since i haven't had any problem whatsoever dealing with them about anything.
I had few issue appling for my visa but i've been helped a lot by the kindness of the staff who supported me since the first email i've sent them.
I arrived in the middle of the night and there was a guy from the school waiting for and saving me from the savageness of being a new "laowai" in the airport - if you've ever been in southern Asia, it feels the same: taxi drivers touching, screaming at you and overly concerned airport staff that look a bit suspicious -.
Anyhow, as soon as i started classes i realised how it feels like home to be at hutong school, how people is always there for you.
Classes themselves are small and cozy, teachers are usually around my age or so and usually extremely friendly.
As a matter of fact my teacher was so concerned about my health she brought me straight to the nearest farmacy and dealt with the ladies at the counter - and also helped to communicate with them suggesting words -.
Hutong school is simply an extrimely good place to study in, nice people around great staff and heaps of free extra activities that make you feel they really care about you.
Such a shame i can't afford to stay more at the moment, i'd love to stay here 'till my chinese gets decent!

Probably accommodation system could be improved.
A little minority of people, which i belong with, is financially self-supporting and i believe that there's should be a wider choice of sharing-house. I woulnd't mind to share a double room if its costed less. Simply as that, there's people who don't really mind sharing a room and save a bit of money for the everyday life as there's a lot of people asking for more privacy.
Ella
Germany

My time at Hutong School

Overall 9

Since I started to learn Chinese in my home country, I knew I would go and visit China one day. Back then, I didn't know how quickly my wish would be fulfilled. Because of given circumstances, I took the chance and chose to take the internship program at Hutong School. I must say, I do not exaggerate when I tell you: I had the time of my life!

Starting from the beginning, I have to say, that this school was the only Chinese language school located in China that fulfilled all my wishes and needs from the beginning: not only that I had the chance to gain professional work experience, I also could decide whether I would like to take additional Chinese classes. Moreover, they offered accomodation, trips around the city, and 24/7 service was included.
Honestly, this school was the only school that offered all this (and even more) for a reasonable price.

After my arrival, I had (and still have) a great time! Of course, China is a beautiful country that is totally worth to go, with their wonderful and interesting culture, history, sights and landscapes (and food!!). However, the staff from Hutong School do their best to make my time here even better. My work from the internship placement is diverse and interesting, my colleagues are lovely and help me out whenever I messed up something (which happens a bit often, but noone complained yet and I won't complain that noone complained yet!)

The Hutong School team always tries to help me out with any issues I have and they make my time here as comfortable as possible. I heard stories from other students who told me the same so I can tell: They're really there for you!

Last but not least: My Chinese lessons. To be honest, I'm not the most hardworking student, but my teacher never loses her temper and her lessons are always varied and interesting. I learn a lot about the Chinese culture from the first hand.

The only thing I could complain would be the accomodation. I share a great apartment with two very nice roommates, a nice (but small, but the sizes varies) sleepig room and two bathrooms(!), which prevents a lot of struggle, especially when there are only girls in a shared apartment! :) Nevertheless, some of my other schoolmates (if only a few) didn't really like theirs.
Further, the kitchenware wasn't too much. At least not enough to cook a big meal. Since I really like to cook, I am not too hapy with this (though it's very cheap to buy this on your own).
However, I hear that the staff already works on both issues so I don't think, this will be a huge problem for future students.

To sum it up:
Do I like China? Oh yes!
Do I recomment Hutong School? You bet!
Would I go to Hutong School again? Absolutely!

Provider Response

Dear Ella Est,

Many thanks for your nice review. I can speak for the entire team of the Shanghai office when I say it is (has been) a great pleasure having you here!

All our apartments are equipped with basic cooking utensils, but we're indeed looking to expand them.

Lazy student or not, don't give up on your Chinese language learning, whatever your next move will be after finishing your internship!

Best,
Haike

Nikai
Netherlands

Beijing

Overall 9

I spent a month in the Beijing branch, improving my Chinese. The atmosphere is pretty good at Hutong school. The school is not that big and there are enough activities so that it's pretty easy to meet other students and spend time with them.

The majority of students are probably in their 20's, staying for 1 to 3 months and have no prior knowledge of Chinese. If you're looking for a good time in a gap year/exchange period, Hutong school is a good place to be, however for me, it was also important to improve my chinese.

If there is a group for your level (for beginners there always is), you have 2 hours of speaking class and 2 hours of character class. The groups are usually small enough (2-5) to make for an intensive experience. If you want private classes, you can have 1 hour of private class instead of 2 hours of group class as well.

What I really liked about Hutong school is that the teachers/staff are quite flexible towards your lesson program. For example: If you are somewhat advanced in speaking but neglected learning characters, you could take 3-4 hours of character class and after you catch up, change back to normal. This is extremely useful for the non-beginner student who knows in which areas he's lacking, and something you can't get in a cookie cutter course at a Chinese university.

The private classes are also excellent. It really gives you a chance to make your own lesson. The standard group classes follow a textbook approach, but in your private class you can do whatever you like, from discussing movies to conversation drills, to grammar exercises. The teachers are really great, as they are willing to try a lot of things.

The accommodation is really not as modern as the website states. The first apartment I was put in when I arrived was quite depressing. After explaining the situation to Hutong, they showed me another apartment and let me decide if I wanted to move there. Glad I did, it was much better, looked like a home instead of a run down warehouse.
Mirjam
Konstanz, Germany

Great Experience

Overall 9

After I decided that I wanted to study Chinese, I decided to take part in the Intensive Chinese Course for 2 months at the Hutong School in Beijing. It was a great decision and was the best eight weeks of my life. The teachers are very good and it's amazing how much you learn in 8 weeks. The small groups made it very easy to learn. The employees of the Hutongschool are always there for us and they are helpful in many areas. The activities at the school outside the classroom are very entertaining and well worth your time. You meet people from all over the world and I have many friends from all over the world!

A day in the life at Hutong School: My classes were in the morning and then I met up for lunch with my classmates and roommates and then went back to class. The classes always flew by because they was so much fun! After just 3 weeks we could understand Chinese much better. After class we went to dinner and depending on the activities the school had planned; such as cooking classes, KTV, lectures or film evenings. On the weekends, we went sightseeing. A highlight of every month was the welcome party for the new students...we were always up till the early morning for those occasions. A special highlight for us was that we were experienced the Chinese New Year in Beijing and had lots of fun celebrating!

When the eight weeks came to an end it was very hard to go back to Germany, but I've already decided that in 2 years if I have to spend my compulsory year abroad, I will go back to the Hutong School in China.

Jose-Miguel
Spain, Argentina, Switzerland, China
Complutense University of Madrid

Shanghai School: Very good experience

Overall 9

Another student noted that the biggest highlight of the program were the teachers. That they were really nice and became not only instructors, but friends as well. I agree, but I must add that, for me, the Secretariat staff was just as lovely and dedicated. I thank them all for the trouble they took to help me every time it was needed.
I didn't take an Intensive Course but a half-Intensive Course or so in order to make it affordable for me. Quite enough to make noticeable progress; I thank the staff in charge for allowing me this option.

I agree with some comments about the living conditions being something that could be improved, although I was told they would be. The apartment was good indeed but the location less so, and when I arrived I wasn't given the apartment that I was kindly previously told and so was expecting.
There was no airport pick-up service for me because I didn't arrive on a certain Course starting date, too bad.
Heinz
Adelaide, South Australia
University of Adelaide

Because of the quality of Hutong I am returning

Overall 10

When there were any difficulties or misunderstandings they were handled politely straight away.

Two hundred characters is a very long request. I prefer to write in telegram form, this saves time for the writer and the reader.

One could write a book. The more that is written the more it can be misread and misinterpreted.

There are some people who have developed the art of writing and or speaking all day and longer with out saying anything. However, this is valuable to some.

When the lock in my room malfunctioned it was repaired the same day even though it was a Sunday.

The cleaning person was polite and thorough in her service.

The teaching staff were very professional. They knew how to present learning material to foreigners.

Make sure that there is more air in the class room.

Provide address of suitable eating places that do not cook using MSG.

Have a tourist information service fluent in English.
James
n/a
University of Leeds

Beginner 6hr p/w

Overall 9

I came to Shanghai with absolutely no understanding of Chinese culture, customs or language. The staff at Hutong School were friendly and helpful, they made it very easy for me to adjust and in just a month I was already holding conversations with the locals (just about). It was a fantastic experience and I'd definitely recommend it for anyone looking for something new, a real challenge or just a change of pace. JC

For me, it met and exceeded my expectations, I can't really say how I'd improve, I've got nothing to compare it to, I've never had an experience like it before!
Niels
Aarhus

Great school

Overall 8

Really enjoyed both times I went to Hutong School in Beijing. The teachers are highly motivated, helpful and good at activating the students when in class. Classes are kept small so you get to practice speaking the language a lot. Moreover, the school provides courses for virtually all students no matter what level one is at. The many cultural activities arranged by the school provide you with an opportunity to explore parts of Chinese culture which would be difficult to explore on your own as a tourist.

Andreas
Kaiserslautern Germany

Wow! I can read these pictures! :-)

Overall 9

Very nice experience, very friendly and helpful people.
Although I was a difficult student asking a lot of questions the teacher never lost his patience.
I especially liked the writing class, the characters really help to memorize new words and meaning. Though a pure beginner after only two weeks I was able to write read and understand simple sentences using chinese characters. This was so unbelievable as few days before these were just pictures to me.. Wow! Thank You HS :-)

I would suggest to put two short lesson units together to form a one larger one. In this way there would be enough time for a longer break to have some coffee and exchange experiences with other fellow students
Ryan
Adelaide
University of Adelaide

Great place to study Chinese

Overall 9

Hutong School Beijing was definately worthwhile. I only stayed there for 2 weeks but learned a lot of Chinese and made heaps of friends. The quality of teaching is so much higher than what I experienced back in Australia and was aimed at all levels. Staff were very helpful. Would definately recommend to anyone who wants to improve their chinese, meet new people and also travel.

Nothing really. I just wish it were cheaper so I could afford it if I came back.
Joanie
New Castle, Delaware
Clemson University

Great experience

Overall 7

The Chinese language intensive program was a great experience for me. I learned a lot of useful Chinese and made a lot of great friends. For me, the biggest highlight of the program were the teachers. They were really nice and became not only instructors, but friends as well.

The living conditions would be something I would change. The description of the apartments on the website and the amount of money I paid for "location" did not make sense.
max
Babson College

Highly recommend

Overall 9

Hutong school was great. My teacher was particularly caring and always available and willing to answer any questions. Staff was very helpful and the course was challenging. My mandarin improved a ton.

none.
Inneke
Belgium

Hutong School is awesome

Overall 9

It was already a great start when Evan from HS picked us up at the airport and took us around Shanghai the whole day. It's good to know that you can count on somebody like him, no matter what problem you have.

The apartments are great, you have everything you need, social contacts as well because of the shared apartments. It's great to live together with the other HS students and share experiences.

During classes you get a lot of attention from the teacher because of the small amount of students in each group. They really train you well by giving you homework daily and doing some tests now and then.
Also pronunciation is a main point we practiced very good and delivered great results.

In HS there's the awesome opportunity to take part of some activities like chinese painting, calligraphy, cooking, ... that are most of the time for free, that's great! Also the weekend trips are well prepared and the price for that is fare for what you get (great guide included!).

In general my experience was more than awesome. HS is a great language school where people from all over the world meet and have a great time together.
There's a wonderful mood that's hanging around this school.

Thanks a lot!!

I seriously can't say anything...
Tom
Bruxelles, Belgium

Hutong School - Study Chinese in Beijing

Overall 9

From the start till the end they will help you if you have any problems or questions. If you want to visit something after you courses and you don't know how to get there or you just don't know what to visit, just ask them and they will explain you the way and give you more information about the do's and don'ts.

Studying at Hutong School is more than learning Chinese. It's an opportunity to make friends and travelling partners. When I was there last summer, I made amazing friends! It's more pleasant to travel around in Beijing in group.

If I had the chance to go back, I won't hesitate a minute!

I was a bit disappointed with the cooking classes. I expected more interaction. But it was still interesting.
Kevin
Hamilton, Canada
Carleton University

Great experience

Overall 9

Hutong School is a great experience for foreigners who are looking for a foothold in China. They take care of you from the start, picking you up from the airport, giving you quick tour, and setting you up with a cell phone and metro pass. These kinds of things are very valuable for helping you get over the culture shock you'll inevitably experience when arriving in China.

Classes are small and teachers are dedicated to helping you learn as much as possible. Office staff is very friendly and accommodating to all requests.

Hutong School might be a little bit expensive compared to other options, but I felt it was money well-spent. I wish I could have stayed longer!

When I signed up, I thought my classes would be taught in the courtyard classrooms advertised on the website. Upon arrival, I found out my classes were in a modern office tower in the CBD. The new facilities were fine, but not what I expected. This should be better represented on the website.
Daniel
Paris
Hampshire College

Hutong School Beijing

Overall 2

Actually i was not satisfied at all with the "service" and the "housing". It took weeks to get what i asked for. The service personal was absolutly overburdened and our apartment was a disaster. I think if you go there in off-season (not between June and Oktober) it could be quite nice.

Soazic
Montpellier, France

The better school ever in beijing

Overall 10

I wanted first to stay 1 month and once I was there, I decided to stay more! The staff always help you : I broke my computer the first day i arrived and they brought me to the store to fix it.
There are only 2 to 6 students in each class, the teachers are really good, they always encourage you to talk so you can learn very fast! It's surprising!
The staff arrange your schedulde in the way you need and it's always possible to change your class or to switch to private lessons.
And you can meet a lot of people from everywhere thanks to the welcome party, and all the activities they organise each month.
So welcome to hutong school, you will really enjoy to learn chinese in their way!!

Wieteke
Arnhem, Netherlands

A year long stay at Hutong School

Overall 10

I've studied at Hutong School twice. Once for three months and once for a year. And I think that tells enough.. The first time was a great experience, but way too short, so I came back. The staff is great, helpful and nice to everybody. It's really convenient that HS offers apartments, so you don't have to worry about paying your electric bill of your internetconnection. I mean, that's already a hassle in your own country, let alone in China! Believe me, everybody is scared or nervous when they arrive at BJ airport for the first time. So it's really good that a HS employee is there to pick you up and show you around. The welcome parties are great to meet new people and of course your first friends are your classmates. You see them every day in class but most likely also fo lunch and dinner (going to a restaurant is so cheap that you can do that twice every day!) and for partying afterwards.
What I also really like about the school is their flexibility. My workinghours changed a lot but we could always figure out a way so that I could continue my clases. My time in BJ has been the best time of my life so far! If you wanna talk to me about the school of my experiences, send me a message on facebook. Wieteke Erkens

贝阿
France Lille

fantastic ! that's all I can told you !

Overall 10

ambiance super sympa, cours très très adaptés, pas de fausse note: tout le monde nous encourage et j'encourage tout le monde à venoir étudier "à la Hutong"! merci à tout le staff !

Christiaan
Lower Saxony, Germany

Fun, challenging & useful

Overall 9

Had - after many foreign study and work experiences abroad (Spain, Italy, Argentina, Chile, Sweden, Germany) - again the time of my life. Great time off from work and even better preparation for my new job, Sales & Marketing Manager China (& India) for a huge German industrial firm. You dive into the depths of Chinese culture, get taught Chinese language and thinking from scratch by knowledgeable, friendly teachers and have the opportunity to participate in interesting and fun excursions. Available housing is between perfectly fine and fantastic. And honestly after many business trips through China, Beijing is the place to be to experience China.
I've been recommending HTS to anybody who wanted to hear me and so I will in the future.

Marcus
Barcelona Spain

Great way to start your China experience

Overall 8

I had a great experience at Hutong School. The school building is beautifully located in what's left of the old part of Beijing. I did the Intensive for about 8 weeks. The teachers were very dedicated and the study schedule pretty intense (after all it was an intensive course, no?)but we covered more than 5 semesters of University Chinese in that short time, amazing but 25 caracters a day is possible!...The staff was very supportive in all situations, at school, housing, visa, they even sorted out my personal travel plans to Corea. Nice and fun activities in the evenings or on the weekend. Good vibes ;-). Great way to start your China experience.

Olivia
Copenhagen, Denmark

A great way to learn Chinese

Overall 10

The teachers were lovely. The program attacked reading and speaking simultaneously and gave you a rounded experience and understanding. The intensive Chinese program is a great way to learn Chinese and get an understanding of the fundamental structure of the language. After about 2 months I was thinking Chinese!

Ashley
Beijing, China!

Study Chinese the Right Way!

Overall 10

Set in a beautiful, traditional courtyard, the Hutong School is a great program to completely immerse yourself in not only the studying of the language, but of the Chinese culture as well. With group trips, daily outings, and helpful teachers, the Hutong School makes sure that each student has a truly unique experience. They provide small class sizes which provides for more interaction with your teacher, allowing you to really understand what you are learning. There are a variety of courses ranging from beginning to intensive, also with a business focus. Not only does every teacher have excellent academic backgrounds, but they are extremely welcoming and will help with any questions you may have as you come to live and learn about China.

Rob
Beijing, China

good choice

Overall 9

Hutong school is a good choice; the teachers are nice and strict, the groups a really international (my class was dutch/french/portugese/american!) The staff is very supportive and the Gulou branch has a lot of charm, while the sanlitun branch is located extremely convenient..

The best choice for a crash course Mandarin!

Join Hutong School to study, intern or volunteer in China. Founded in 2005 in the Hutongs of Beijing, Hutong School has over 10 years of teaching experience. We now have locations in Shanghai, Beijing, Hangzhou and Chengdu. All our programs are focused on full immersion in the Chinese culture. We offer weekly activities for our students to experience the Chinese culture. Meet the Middle Kingdom firsthand while making friends from all over the world.

Our Programs

Our Intensive Chinese Program offers 4 hours of daily group classes with an average class size of 4 to 5 students. Our teachers will create a personalized study plan, tailored to your needs.

For our Internship Program we work with a wide network of companies to find an internship that suits all of your preferences and aims. Included in the Internship Program are four hours of Chinese class per week to immerse you in the new environment.

Our Summer Camp Program for 14 to 17 year olds consists of 2 weeks of learning the Chinese language and exploring the Chinese culture through living in the center of Beijing. You will participate in no less than 18 cultural activities!

Use our Gap Year Program to construct the most efficient gap year in one or more of our four locations. Our program blocks include volunteering, Chinese classes and an internship placement which you are free to use to construct a program which is the most beneficial for you.

Volunteering is also possible thanks to our Volunteering Program where you receive the opportunity to help local communities in Shanghai or Beijing thanks to our associations with NGO’s and local charities. This program includes accommodation and 4 hours of Chinese per week.

Each program includes the option of accommodation, airport pick-up, practical assistance, welcome pack and activities organized by Hutong School.

Our Methods

Our teaching methods separates between spoken Chinese and character recognition, allowing you to use your new language skills after just a few classes. All our teachers are experienced in teaching Chinese as a second language and ensure that the classes are tailored to meet your goals.

Cultural Activities

All Hutong School students can join our weekly organized cultural activities. From KTV to mahjong, we offer students a wide range of activities to immerse themselves in the Chinese culture.