Study Abroad at AUT University in Auckland, New Zealand

AUT University is the second largest University in New Zealand and is among the fastest growing. 4,000 international students from 85+ countries flock to campus each year and there are three unique campuses all within Auckland. AUT is accredited by the New Zealand government and offers personal and interactive classroom settings. AUT also boasts the highest graduate employment rate out of all the universities in New Zealand. Come check it out for yourself!

AUT accepts international students twice per year: in February and July. You may apply as a College Freshman, but at the time of application, you must have a high school diploma and a 1500 SAT score. Alternatively, Sophomores and above are welcome to apply for an exchange.

AUT offers a broad range of courses:
  • Art & Design
  • Tourism
  • Event Management
  • Foreign Languages & Culture
  • Law
  • Sciences (including Social)
  • Public Policy
  • Design (Fashion, Textiles, Product, Digital, Graphic)
  • Sports & Recreation

Nina

The increase of standards changed my view

To understand my story it is necessary to explain that back in Germany we have also several campuses and as lucky as I am, I have the possibility to study at the oldest building the university have.

So I arrived in Auckland and was so impressed by the huge building WT building at the corner Queenstreet/Wakefieldstreet/Rutlands Street. Then...when I needed to wait at the main entrance for an appointment and nobody came, I asked google for more of the AUT.

My friend google told me that the main city campus was a few meters further. And than I recognize that the AUT is more than just one building. Okay, maybe my preperation before was weak. I was just so surprised about the campus that I was sending pictures to all my friends and family where I'am going to study. And believe me, if I am looking forward to study everybody is confused, but when they saw the pictures they could understand me. So then after this first impression, my first classes started. I was very nervous, because I was just thinking how I would understand the lecturer . I had 3 courses and after I had understand about 90% of the lecture I was surprised. I mean, I was thinking I'm great ! After I recognized that my lectures are not Kiwi's I understood that I am less great, but it was still fact that my anxiety not to understand them was for nothing. Also I never hear a international student saying, that they can't understand the lecturers.

So the biggest anxiety was gone and there was one more...the social aspect. How I can get friends, what should I talking about ? And that was the third surprise for me. The AUT has such a big and great support for international students. Not only that Kenneth, our abroad supervisor help me every time with all questions, the international students support at the AUT organized the whole semester events for us. So its was easy to meet new people and make friends.The first week was an introduction week. This was the first time you can see all students who are beginning their study and also were new at the university. Not only abroad students.This week was a very big help too. The university inform us about everything what was important for us such medical support at the campus, searching a accommodation, international support, the campus at self and much more. A further very great help for the AUT and for the abroad students are got the get out ! There is a great and strong cooperation between the AUT an got to get out, so the students get the opportunity to meet new people on outdoor trips, while surfing hicking or sailing or do many other things. Sure, everybody can be a part of this trip, but I think I would never know about such trips, if I wasn't a student of AUT. Also many of the trips are currently around Auckland.

So the anxiety not to be social left me fast. One more big and great thing is the facebook group for abroad students. Especially for the beginning it is a great help to find new friends and to ask question to other abroad students. It is such a place where you can find help from people which do the same as you. In particular at the beginning of the semester everybody wants to find new people and many people ask for for others who want to joint them to go out, to drink a beer, to hike, to make a weekend trip. So to sum it up. I came as a freelancer to the AUT, that means that I did not have the support from my home university. But I recognize fast that I do not need it. because the support of the AUT was so strong that it was more then enough. Every question was answered by lecturers, the "supervisor" and the international office on the campus. They even help me to find the right courses, suggested opportunities and even send me my schedule in advance. If I would tell you what you else have at the university it would be to much. This was just short and a bit of this what you get at the AUT. But this is what is very important for abroad students.

Shannon

AUT International Student Experience

My experience here at AUT has been incredible overall so far, and I am so glad that I had the opportunity to study here. I think that living in the Wellesley Student Apartments has been nice for me and it really is a unique environment for international students. The RA's and other students here provide different events to meet students both in a social and academic way. For example, they often host bingo or shared meals in the common area downstairs, but then there are organized study sessions as well. Also, I think the papers here have allowed me to branch out and be exposed to new material that I have not have learned about at my university at home. Overall being at AUT has been very positive for me.

The only suggestion that I would make is that although the program does a great job with integrating the international students and allowing us to meet people from all over the world at different activities, I have found that meeting kiwis or local students from New Zealand is slightly more difficult and it seems to happen less frequently. Maybe that has just been my experience and others feel differently, but just something that I've noticed over the past few months. And I do realize that the local students may not want to be as involved with the international students since we are only here temporarily, so it may be hard to change. That is just one thing that I have noted, but other than that the program as a whole seems to be working well.
Lisa

Studying Abroad at AUT

AUT has great facilities, nice size classrooms sizes and is centrally located to everything. I have been able to make a lot of new friends in just two terms (1 semester) as I have many of the same people in my classes. They offer unique subjects and the professors are helpful. Studying in Auckland is idea because on the weekends, you can travel to many beaches and attractions in under a couple hours. I love my AUT experience!

Kathleen

Wish I could Stay Longer

4 months is definitely not enough here. You probably will start getting real close to people outside of your housing the 3rd month in. Everyone's so down to earth even the professors. There's also so much to get involved in and do on and off campus. Everything is also easy to get to on foot. Try and not get classes on Thursdays because clubs are free on Wednesdays lol. I surprisingly survived on a Discover Credit Card.

better beds at WSA
Giang

A surprising journey!

I think I am quite unusual because I come from Vietnam, go abroad at the Netherlands and now learn exchange at New Zealand. People asked me a lot that why I go far away not only from my hometown but also from my school. To be honest, I am not a travel person. I hate plane and long flight. The main reason why I choose to come here is their program that I hope it will help my knowledge. Then in the first week, my form missed, so I had to move to another class. It was mess up, and I pressured. But with a lot of encourage from my classmates at AUT, also help from staffs at here, everything was back on the right road. And I could say, I am delighted with this journey. I learnt a lot of things I wanted to learn for several years. I met a lot of friendly friends and teacher also that they supported me so much in many ways. If I have more time, I want to be here more than 2-3 months, because I know I still can get more at here. But any journey has to end somehow. I will miss everyone I met, not only at AUT or my tenant and housemates but also random kindly people on the road, on buses, trains,...This journey made my Auckland, my New Zealand!

I think if it's possible, maybe exchange students on orientation week, we can go on a different day with other students. Because I can see every year, AUT has a lot of new students. But with us, we have shorter time at here and also different form. So I think it will help if we separate from really big to the specific small groups. It could make you more focus but also easier to organise.
Valentin

Semester Abroad at AUT

It's unbelievable how the semester went by. It feels like I've just arrived at Auckland Airport, on the one hand. On the other hand, I've already experienced so many marvelous things during my stay. Going up to Cape Reinga and down southeast to Coromandel are definitely to of my highlight voyages so far. The good part about it is, there is still so much more to explore.

My studies at AUT have been really encouraging and added to my knowledge. I feel even more aware of myself now and I'm pleased to have learnt more about mindset and leadership, I'd rather say I've learnt more about life!

Thank you AUT for making this possible, my personal KiwiDream became true :)

Emily

One of the Best Decisions of My Life!

When I first decided to that I wanted to study abroad, I originally wanted to go to London. Then Kenneth Holt came to my home university and gave a small presentation on AUT and Auckland and it absolutely sold me. Upon arriving at AUT, I was nervous but excited and the International staff were incredibly helpful with any questions and problems that I came across (Shivani especially is awesome!). Kenneth worked closely with me to sort out my class schedule when I was having problems with it and I am very happy with how it ended up! The International staff is also very good about creating events for international students to attend and recommending activities around the city and across the country. As for the classes themselves, I thought I was going to have a more difficult time adapting to them but the way the curriculum is set up actually feels almost easier than back at my home university. Again, the International staff did an excellent job of preparing me for what to expect and helping me out when I was confused about how the classes were set up. Being in Auckland also gave me a chance to easily explore several part of the North Island in just a few hours drive. I was able to hike the Tongariro Crossing, see the Hobbit movie set, go to four beaches in one day on the Coromandel Peninsula, and so many other things. The location of AUT in Auckland is also beneficial for just exploring the city. I was able to go to several festivals and explore the main downtown area after no more than a 30 minute walk. Overall, I'm incredibly glad that I chose Auckland and AUT for my study abroad experience and I would highly recommend it to anyone and everyone!

The abroad program itself is awesome, there were some issues in the student apartments but nothing too serious.
Sylvia

My Semester abroad at the AUT

I really loved my exchange semester here. The staff was super helpful also before my arrival in NZ. The classes are very different compared to the teaching approach in Germany where we usually have lectures of 500 people and no direct contact with the professors. The lecturers here are incredibly student friendly and care a lot about our learning success. I met great people here and would recommend AUT to everybody. The location is directly in the heart of Auckland with great offers of sports activities.

more social events e.g. pub crawl
Inca

Inca

I loved my exchange, the only thing I would do differently is not living at WSA because the apartment had a lot of troubles and was too expensive! I was happy that my lessons were only from Monday tot Wednesday so we could travel a lot. I've see also all of New Zealand. I have made a lot of friend while I was here, exchange students and New Zealander's. The classes I took were great! The teachers were reallly helpful and I have learned a lot here! My favourite lesson was the noho marae paper. It made me want te study anthropology after my bachelor.

The program was great!
Ryan

AUT Fall 2018

I had an awesome time at AUT during the fall semester. I found the classes to be a bit easier than I expected, and I had incredible experiences. There are so many things to do right outside of Auckland, and there is always something going on in the city! I met many friends that I will keep for life, and really hope to visit New Zealand again some day! I would suggest this program to anyone looking for the ultimate adventure, hospitable people, and a fun environment!

Brenna

9000 Miles from Home

Coming to New Zealand was the biggest adventure that I have taken thus far and what a perfect first adventure to have. I've traveled all over the North and South islands and have seen sights that others only dream to see. From being a small town girl born in Vermont, USA, to traveling alone around a brand new country, there was never any time where I ever felt unsafe. The people are beyond friendly and welcoming and I instantly felt right at home. The best advice that I can give anyone planning on traveling to New Zealand for a study abroad program is travel as much as you can, there are always affordable options to get around and see all that this beautiful country has to offer. Places that must be included in your time abroad include Queenstown and Arrowtown on the South Island as well as Raglan, The Coromandel , Cape Reinga and Waiheke Island all located on the North Island.

The flats that students studying at AUT, Wellesley Student Apartments (WSA), are a bit run down and could use some updating, such as the bathrooms, the constantly broken elevators, and getting bigger fridges so that apartments of 4+ flatmates actually have room for their food.
Michael

AUT

At AUT the professors are helpful and always open to suggestions or discussions. They also take their time for you, if you have problems. Most surprised me that some of them new even my name after two weeks. At my home university most professors would know my face, but probably not my name. The level of the courses is in my case quite different, but overall it is at a good level not too hard and not to easy.
Furthermore, it is quite easy to come into contact with my fellow students, who are Kiwis. They are all friendly and helpful. Especially the ASE (AUT Students Engineering society) are great people.
Another point I want to mention is that AUT organises a lot of events for students via GOTTOGETOUT and other stuff, like the Orientation week, which makes it easy to have a good start, when arriving here. Kenneth Holt, which was my contact before comming here, is also very helpful to organise your program.
The only thing I need to criticise, are the student accommodations. It is great to live with all the other students and WSA makes a lot of activities for students to come together. But considering what we pay for a room, stuff like the elevators should work. When I moved in, our apartment was dirty as well as my room. The laundry in WSA is not useful, if you have dirt on your stuff. It removes the smell, but not the dirt from hiking and other activities.

On the whole, I would recommend to study abroad at AUT.

I think everything is all right with the program.
Erhardt

AUT Bringing People Together

My experience at AUT has been utterly fantastic. From the very first time I arrived and I was amazed at how the buildings looked in the city. My first experience was OWeek where AUT volunteers were really friendly and gave great information about the campus. I also got to stay at the WSA apartments. That is where I met people from all over the world. Exchange students to local Kiwis. I was amazed at how friendly everyone was and how willing they were for adventure. I met a really great group of friends stretching across Europe and North America. We all bonded over our love for New Zealand and our sense of adventure. During the week we stayed in Auckland and got to explore the beautiful places around such as Waiheke, Piha Beach, Mission Bay. Then on weekends, we got to see the wonderful places of New Zealand like the Coromandel, Cape Reigna, Bay of Islands. AUT gave me the chance to explore this wonderful country and meet great people along the way.

Include more organized events for the exchange students
Alvarez

Kiwi country

I wanted to travel in New Zealand for a few years and there is a partnership between my engineering school and AUT so I decided directly to come in Auckland for 6 months for my studies. Furthermore New Zealand has a great reputation in terms of ecology consequently for me it was perfect.

I traveled around New Zealand with my flat mates. Firstly we spent a few days in Coromandel, Rotorua and the North of the North island. During the mid break of two weeks we did a road trip of 10 days in the South Island and it was absolutely crazy : wonderful landscapes, penguins, sea lions, seals...

The lessons were very interesting in AUT and the teachers were very friendly. I recommend this university.

It was perfect and Kenneth Holt is really helpful with the exchange students
Jessica

Studying at AUT

Though, I was hesitant to study abroad at first, I am beyond happy I made the decision study at AUT. Studying here at AUT was a life changing experience for me. I have met so many amazing people and made friendships that I know will last a lifetime. Accepting and including everyone is an important part of AUT. Just from walking around campus I can experience aspects of New Zealand's Māori culture. I even participated in Auckland's Pride Parade with AUT, which was definitely a highlight during my study abroad experience. Even though Auckland is over 8,000 miles away from home, it sure does feel like home to me now. Essentially, choosing to study at AUT was one of the best decisions I have made and for those who are contemplating whether to study at AUT or not, I would say 100% do it. It will be a decision you will never regret!

Great program, I wouldn't change anything besides the housing accommodation. Many problem with bedbugs, scabies, dirty apartment before I moved in, many broken or missing things in the apartment.

About AUT University

AUT University was established in 1895 and has transitioned from an excellent polytechnic to become a world ranked university. We are New Zealand’s third largest and fastest growing university – positioned in the top 5% of Universities...