Study Abroad at AUT University in New Zealand

Milford Sound
Milford Sound
Queenstown (Home Tunnel)
Queenstown (Home Tunnel)
Christchurch (Mt. Sunday aka Edoras)
Christchurch (Mt. Sunday aka Edoras)
Surfing at Muriwai Beach (North Island)
Surfing at Muriwai Beach (North Island)
Sunset West Coast (North Island)
Sunset West Coast (North Island)

AUT University is the second largest University in New Zealand and is among the fastest growing. 4,000 international students from 85+ countries flock to campus each year and there are three unique campuses all within Auckland. AUT is accredited by the New Zealand government and offers personal and interactive classroom settings. AUT also boasts the highest graduate employment rate out of all the universities in New Zealand. Come check it out for yourself!

AUT accepts international students twice per year: in February and July. You may apply as a College Freshman, but at the time of application, you must have a high school diploma and a 1500 SAT score. Alternatively, Sophomores and above are welcome to apply for an exchange.

AUT offers a broad range of courses:
  • Art & Design
  • Tourism
  • Event Management
  • Foreign Languages & Culture
  • Law
  • Sciences (including Social)
  • Public Policy
  • Design (Fashion, Textiles, Product, Digital, Graphic)
  • Sports & Recreation

Hi there, our February to June semester is during the end of summer to end of Fall. This is the best time to experience New Zealand's warm weather and beaches. Our July to November semester is from the start of Winter until the end of Spring, so starts a little colder and warms up nicely. Auckland experiences very mild weather so never gets too cold or too hot.

Jelitza

Best six months of my life!!

Studying abroad with TEAN was the best decision I could have made. TEAN supported my every decision and a TEAN staff member was always available to answer any question I had. I would recommend studying abroad through TEAN to any person leaving the country for their first time. I was very nervous during the week that led up to my time abroad because I have never left the country. TEAN helped me by introducing me to my new best friend, Samantha. Samantha and I met on the plane to NZ and ever since then, we have stuck by each others sides. I will always appreciate the amount of support TEAN provided with my transition for the US to NZ. They had a TEAN staff member at my university which also helped me adjust. I am so happy that I decided to go abroad with TEAN.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve-racking moment was getting on the plane which left the United States in California. I could remember the day as if it were yesterday. My stomach was turning. I had never left the country, let alone left alone... I knew that going abroad was something I had dreamed of doing since I was in middle school, so I was not allowing fear to stop me. To anyone experiencing this: DO IT ANYWAYS!!! Fear is just in the head. The experiences you are about to gain are going to be life-changing...
Soufyane

Soufyane’s review

I really liked this amazing breath taking experience, I met so many really nice people from all around the world, from the Netherlands to Canada and they helped me to grow and become a better person, the landscapes were so beautiful, we had the chance to make many road trips all around New Zealand, hiking through the tongariro or Abel tasman or even the mount taranaki.
The academic program was really strong and very digital I learned a lot about my field of study, it helped me enhance my knowledge about the financial world.
The administration people were really kind and nice they always were very responsive and if anyone had any question they were the persons to go to, they were really reliable.
I would strongly advise anyone who wants to go in exchange to choose New Zealand

The student facilities which were too expensive for the service they offered, the elevators not working, many issues
Douwe

An Amazing Time

I've had a great time in Auckland. First of all, the city is different than what I'm used too, but I'd grow to love the city, because there is so much diversity and there are a lot of activities in and close to the city. In the two week mid semester break I traveled to the South Island, alone. A big leap for an unexperienced traveler, but I am so happy I did it, 'cause I've seen the most beautiful landscapes, drove around wonderful roads and met a lot of very nice travelers. This was such an enormous boos for my confidence and It brought me a lot of happiness and inner peace.

The school is very organised, and the teachers are patient and invested in the students. There are a lot of possibilities to work at school or to learn more stuff outside your usual classes. The campus has all the facilities you need, it was close to the city centre and had a very good vibe.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Jumping out of a plane to gy skydiving. It's a matter of trust, when you trust that It will be fine you take more risks.
Lauri

Best time of my life

If you decide to choose AUT as your exchange school, you won't be disappointed! NZ is, in my opinion, the most beautiful country and the people are the best. When I decided to come here as an exchange, I knew that it was going to be fun but I had no idea that it would be this much fun! The staff and co-students are helpful and extremely nice. Moreover, the campus is very comfortable and good.

Sometimes I felt like my papers could've been more challenging. However, with a wide variety of papers, you can choose to make your studies more/less demanding.

A big part of the lives of exchange students is traveling. Because the stream-based paper selection system, you can choose to have days off your week and hence travel more if you want.

To sum it up, I was extremely satisfied with my exchange. Everyone helps you if needed, the facilities were nice and the atmosphere was amazing.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
During my semester break, I was travelling Australia and saw two koalas get into a fight. My life was shook.
Jessica

Semester abroad

My semester abroad was great, I met so many amazing people and was able to travel a lot during the semester through this beautiful country and to Australia. During the weekend we rented a car for small weekend trips. Definitely go to the south island which is so beautiful! If you have the chance do this during the summer time. It was nice to choose papers which are not directly related to my school back home for example I choose photography which taught me a lot about the techniqual side of the camera. If your studying in art and design I would recommend the texture of time class where you make a 16 mm film, the teachers are really nice and you are able to learn about developing the film a lot. All of this gave me new experiences. Stay in the WSA, you will meet a lot of people there.

The accommodation at WSA it is nice to be able to meet so many people but they could improve the facilities.
Shannon

Amazing Oppurtunity

Overall my time at AUT has been a wonderful and adventurous experience. I have met so many amazing people living at WSA who kept me busy throughout the whole semester. My friends lived in all different countries around the world which was so interesting to see such different backgrounds come together in a social setting. Whether it be the parties, dinners, roommate nights or weekend getaways, there was always endless plans to hangout with friends and make the best memories together. The AUT classes weren’t the biggest challenge but we’re still very interesting classes to learn from. I wouldn’t change my AUT experience for anything and I’m so grateful to have had the chance to live in such a community environment. New Zealand is now a second home away from home <3

Potentially better living utilities in WSA. Their were constantly elevators broken and out of service, broken bathroom doors and even no hot water at some point.
Juliane

Review

Shivani was a great help beforehand, while I was still in Germany. Having no clue whatsoever about the classes, enrolling, living, visa etc., she was a great help, answering directly all the time. WSA is a great concept, all if us living together and all the free food events of course ! :) Also, new zealand is a great country to travel around. Be on the lookout for travelbuddies for weekendtrips! New Zealand has so much to offer. Definitely have a look into the Aut dance and performance club, really exciting if you never heard of Kpop before like me haha. The only sad part is that we have to pay the bus between the campus' on our own. But it's not that much, and all the free food around campus and WSA make it even haha. Have fun going there peeps. I enjoyed it.

Definitely live at WSA ! For only one semester abroad perfect to meet people and stay connected
Gonzalo

AUT New Zealand Review

I've been studying here for an entire year and I must say that this country is amazing. The papers are taught in a completely different way than back home, and that has given me a new perspective of work. The best advantage of studying in New Zealand is that any weekend that you are free you can just rent a car and go visit something spectacular! You have tons of things to do and you'll never get bored here. You have amazing places like Cathedral Cove, Waitomo Caves or Tongariro (the Lord of the Rings...) just a few hours away from Auckland!! Apart from that, the international residence is really good and helps you establish yourself quite smoothly in this country. Finally, the installations of AUT are brand new so you will feel very comfortable in yojr new university!! You won't regret coming to New Zealand :)

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Cathedral Cove..... It is one of the most astonishing places on earth!!! The pictures you can find online are not even half as good as standing there on the beach and looking at its blue waters. My favourite spot on earth almost...
Hailey

A Life-Changing Experience

The past 5 months living and studying here in Auckland, New Zealand has been the best experience of my life. AUT is unlike any other university and definitely prioritizes the well-being and academic success of it's students. If you are looking to study the Māori culture, AUT has one of the best Māori and Indigenous departments with great faculty that will give you an unforgettable experience. Kenneth Holt and his team at AUT's International Program are incredibly helpful and will go above and beyond to help you make a smooth transition to NZ. The campus is beautiful and it is right in the heart of the city so you have access to many things. There's nothing else quite like it! Studying at AUT is what made my study abroad experience the best!

Really immerse yourself in the experience and the culture. The Māori people have a rich culture and it is important to understand and respect the home that you are sharing with them. Attend the Noho Marae weekend and learn about the culture around you.

Also do something outside your comfort zone. My first week in Auckland I bungee jumped off the Harbour Bridge and it was exhilarating! Doing something I had never done made the city and experience all the more unforgettable.
Holly

An Invaluable Experience

New Zealand is an amazing country to study abroad in; I immediately felt at home. The country is small, but it has so many areas to explore, even within Auckland. The friends I have made here are amazing, and the experiences I have had are indescribable. After the first week of classes, I attended the International Noho Marae weekend which was one of the coolest events I have gone to here. The large group of international students and I spent the whole weekend learning about Maori culture while immersing ourselves in their traditions. This has been the longest period of time I have spent outside of my home country, the US, but it has had more impact on me than all of my time spent back home. And for those of my fellow right lane drivers, driving on the left side of the road is not as difficult as you may think. If you are even considering studying abroad in New Zealand, do it!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Mid-semester breaks here are two full weeks, so I was able to travel a lot during that time frame. In Christchurch on the South Island, my friends and I went to Willowbank Reserve and fed eels with little spoons! It was such a surreal experience and one that I never would have pictured myself doing before coming here.
Samantha

AUT

This program was amazing! I learned a lot about myself and would highly recommend it to everyone. I made so many new friends through my classes and travels, and it was so much fun to travel and see a different part of the world. Also, coming from America, it was amazing to see a country that actually cares about the environment and takes steps to see that it is taken care of. Kiwis are amazing to get to know, and they have such an amazing sense of humur. If you decide to come here, make sure to take classes that wouldn’t be available in your home country. Learning about Maori culture has been a huge highlight of my time here. If you are unable to take a class in Maori culture, AUT provides a weekend overnight to learn about it which is highly recommended by anyone who participated.

Jamie

A great experience!

I am a student from the University of Vermont in America and I studied at AUT for semester 1 2019. The communication with all of the staff was great and very quick. The application process was a bit confusing but I got the help I needed from the international office. The housing accommodation at WSA is a wonderful atmosphere because people are always there having a good time. I travelled almost every weekend and got to see so much of New Zealand. Peterpans was my biggest go to for helping plan my adventures. I cannot wait to come back here one day and see even more of this beautiful country. I loved all of my classes and living in Auckland and I’m definitely upset to be leaving so soon. I’ll always be an AUT student and I’m thankful for my time here.

Try everything! NZ is incredible and has so much to offer.
Lauren

AUT Study Abroad

Overall, studying abroad at AUT has been a great experience. Through my program I was able to meet a lot of new people while also met many people on the first day of orientation. Even though orientation is a good way to meet new people, I felt that the workshops were not very helpful for students that are above first year because we had already learned this from a previous university. I also think that the AUT international club is a great way to meet new students from all around the world while also make the semester more exciting by doing the events coordinated. It was also nice having two full weeks for spring break to be able to plan travel to a new place to explore. I am grateful for having the opportunity to study abroad in New Zealand and make memories that last a lifetime.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Feijoa; I had never heard of this fruit before coming to New Zealand.
James

AUT

The Study Abroad international department at AUT with Kenneth Holt is exceptional. For the Industrial design department, the lab staff and technical aids are also incredibly helpful, making it possible for you to be productive and create many ideas and products, bringing them to fruition. The School is centrally located and busses greatly aid transport to and from housing, even if you choose to live off campus in Auckland CBD. It is incredibly expensive for internationals, but to get outside your home country and explore New Zealand makes it a worthwile, once in a lifetime experience.

I would greatly recommend a working holiday Visa, as this allows you to also experience the work life in New Zealand which is unique. Getting to understand Kiwis on an occupational level.

Anne Mette

Helpful staff, lots of insights and wonderful social life

Getting in to AUT, is like all other universities a process. But AUT have made it easy with a very nice and present staff group for international applicants. Not only are they good and fast at answering questions, but they also remember you and get to know you when you arrive to Auckland.

Studying at AUT gives you a broad insight of New Zealand. Both from classmates and in class. You learn a lot about the culture, the Maori history, and as a health student i now know a lot about the NZ health- system, and problems.

AUT create a space for all exchange and study abroad students to meet. They facilitate social gathering and events.

AUT offers a wide variety of papers, making it possible to select appropriate subjects for your major, while also allowing fun papers. However, some subjects are '' locked '' and cannot be taken by exchange and abroad students.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have bought a car the first day i arrived to NZ! It is an amazing country and in a driving distance from Auckland, you can experience the most wonderful nature!

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About AUT University

AUT University was established in 1895 and has transitioned from an excellent polytechnic to become a world ranked university. We are New Zealand’s third largest and fastest growing university – positioned in the top 5% of Universities...