Study Abroad at AUT University in Auckland, New Zealand

Study Abroad at AUT University in Auckland, New Zealand

AUT University is the second largest University in New Zealand and is among the fastest growing. 4,000 international students from 85+ countries flock to campus each year and there are three unique campuses all within Auckland. AUT is accredited by the New Zealand government and offers personal and interactive classroom settings. AUT also boasts the highest graduate employment rate out of all the universities in New Zealand. Come check it out for yourself!

AUT accepts international students twice per year: in March and July. You may apply as a College Freshman, but at the time of application, you must have a high school diploma and a 1500 SAT score. Alternatively, Sophomores and above are welcome to apply for an exchange.

AUT offers a broad range of courses:
  • Art & Design
  • Tourism
  • Event Management
  • Foreign Languages & Culture
  • Law
  • Sciences (including Social)
  • Public Policy
  • Design (Fashion, Textiles, Product, Digital, Graphic)
  • Sports & Recreation
International Business
Social Sciences
Year Round

Jeffrey

Best time of my life at AUT!

Studying in New Zealand at AUT is such an amazing experience. I'm from The Netherlands so, it's the other side of the world for me - this makes it a big adventure. I didn't really know what to expect from this whole trip and University, but it ended up to be great.

At the AUT campus, you meet so many new people and friends for life. There are tons of events happening such as BBQ's and volleyball tournaments. The rooms are great and if you're lucky you got an amazing view over the city and water.

AUT is, in my opinion, a really well-organised school, clear policies and a clean structure. They welcome international students with open arms and are there always for you.

Use your holidays to travel around NZ and discover their crazy landscape - it's stunning!

Maybe more social events to get in touch with the other international students.

Thomas

Great experience at AUT

I'm studying business information technology in Germany, and I'm currently in my third year. For me, it was totally clear since I started my studying that I definitely want to study abroad for at least one semester. The decision for me where to go was tough. But with AUT and Auckland, I took a great choice.

Accommodation:
The choice for the accommodation in Auckland was very easy for me. I heard from a student from my home university, who has also been to AUT, that he would recommend the AUT Student Village. After I lived here for some month, I would every study abroad student also recommend applying for a flat at the Student Village. Especially at the beginning, I got know lots of international students and new friends, and the view from my flat was amazing.

Studying:
The effort during the semester was much higher as in my home university. In my home university, usually, I don’t have any assignments. So, at the beginning of the semester, I took a while until I got used to it. In terms of subjects, if I could choose my subjects again, I definitely would choose one Maori course instead of my usual subjects. That’s the only thing I regret that I haven’t chosen a Maori course.

Travelling:
In terms of traveling New Zealand is perfect. We made many weekend trips or one-day trips especially at the beginning of the semesters. I have seen many beautiful places on the north island of New Zealand. But the traveling on the South Island during the semester break was the best travel experience I had so far. Especially, Milford Sound and Mount Cook was a highlight, and everyone who is also going to New Zealand should visit the two places.

I definitely can recommend everyone who wants to study abroad to go to AUT and Auckland. It was a very nice experience, and I had a lot of fun. And it is very sad that I will leave New Zealand in a view days and my study abroad experience is over.

There is not really anything, that must be improved. But maybe more international parties with live music like at the beginning and at the end of the semester.

Tim
New Zealand
Auckland University of Technology

What an incredible experience!

I'm so glad that I chose to come to AUT! I came here as a third year mechanical engineering student from the United States. I picked AUT for two reasons. First, it was in New Zealand. Second, it offered classes that could take the place of my classes back home and allow me to not fall behind when I return to the US.

Overall, the classes were good. The professors were quite good and were very open to students coming up to them after class to ask additional questions. However, I did have some issues with the program. In two of my classes, the teachers changed after the midterm. I wasn't a huge fan of this as I had to get used to new teaching styles. Additionally, one of my classes was run like two separate classes: two teachers, two midterms, and two finals. I don't know if this arrangement is common in New Zealand, but I've never seen it before in the US so it took some getting used to.

For housing, I managed to get into the AUT student apartments and would highly recommend this living situation to future study abroad/ exchange students. The apartments themselves aren't anything special and it might be possible to find cheaper accommodations elsewhere, but the apartments are just so convenient. They're right next to AUT City Campus and with most of the international students living there, it makes it very easy to meet people.

All in all, New Zealand is an incredible place to explore, and I will never forget my time here!

I would suggest that AUT host more events for the international students. We had a welcome party and a farewell party, which I absolutely loved. It would've been awesome to have more opportunities for all of us to meet up during the middle of the semester. Overall, AUT has a fantastic International Program, and I'm glad that I was able to study here!

Hannah
New Zealand

Experience of a lifetime

Two words: No regrets! Choosing to come to New Zealand has been one of the best decisions of my life. And studying in AUT has been absolutely wonderful. First off, AUT has such an interactive atmosphere. I took a photography paper and everybody there was so supportive and nice, and we were only about 15 in the class and we all really got to know each other. I also took a Maori class and our teacher (Jason King) was the nicest teacher I've ever met. Especially if you're Asian like me, you expect there to be a strict teacher-student relationship, but not in New Zealand (or AUT to be specific). Teachers here are so nice and you can talk to them about literally anything and everything and it really just encourages you to be friendlier to other people as well. At the end of the semester, even though it's only been 5 months, I'm having a really tough time saying goodbye to all these people.

With regards to travelling around NZ, I can safely say NZ is the most beautiful place I've ever been to. And I've been to Europe, the US, and a lot of other places, but NZ is a place quite like no other. From the peaceful atmosphere that basically encompasses the entirety of NZ to the sheep you'll find strolling around when you go on hikes, to the beautiful green and blue of grass and sky when you go to the countryside, it's all just absolutely breathtaking. I wasn't a hiker or a person appreciative of nature before I got here, but all I can say now is that I've been converted! Wow, just wow. I have absolutely positively no regrets coming to NZ. If you're still on the edge of deciding whether to come to NZ or not, don't think and just sign up to come study at AUT! The AUT admin are one of the most supportive, wonderful people you'll ever meet, and I promise you, you won't regret the decision. You can thank me later for all the fun you'll experience here in NZ ;)

Florian
Auckland University of Technology

Probably the best decision I've ever made!

I am studying mechanical engineering in my third year in Germany. Although my university doesn't have a partnership with any university in New Zealand, I definitely wanted to come here to travel and to experience how it is to study in a foreign country.

First of all, I have to say that finding a cheap accommodation in Auckland really isn't that easy. If you don't get a place in the student accommodation or don't want to live there, it probably takes you a while and a few visits to find a place to live. I eventually found a nice place in Mount Eden (which is 10 minutes by bus to the university) and paid $250/week.

Together with my German flatmate, I bought a campervan on my second weekend in Auckland. Due to the Auckland car fairs and the fact that a lot of travellers want to get rid of their car in Auckland, it is very easy to find a good car or campervan here. Buying a campervan was probably one of the best decisions we made here. We were able to make trips every weekend and travelled nearly all the North Island during the semester and the South Island during the semester break and after the semester.

Regarding the academic challenge of the program, I can say that the difficulty of the courses was lower than in my university in Germany. The lecturers were really kind and motivated though! In contrast to my university in Germany, I was expected to do a lot of assignments and tests during the semester, which already counted towards the final grade. This system reminded me a bit of school but is very helpful for people like me who are usually procrastinating and don't do much during the semester.

Because I was lucky enough to get a PROMOS scholarship from my university, I had to choose another course when I arrived in Auckland as I had to study full-time in order to get the scholarship. The international student coordinator recommended me to take a Māori paper and I decided to take the "Te Ara Pou - Māori Leadership" course which turned out to be the most interesting course I've taken so far and was a nice contrast to my other engineering papers.

All in all, I can recommend everyone to study a semester in New Zealand. I had one of the best times of my life, visited many beautiful places in this country and made a lot of friends from all over the world.

Since the program already is very good, there is not much to improve. The engineering buildings were a bit old and there was sometimes construction work during the lectures. Sometimes the lectures even had to be cancelled because there was too much noise. This problem was caused by the construction of the new engineering building and will probably fix itself when the new building will be opened in 2018.

Soeren

Study Abroad at AUT

First of all, I really enjoyed my time here in Auckland at AUT. It was an exciting journey and in various ways different from what I expected.

Finding an accommodation:
Finding an accommodation in Auckland was a real challenge. I booked a hostel for the first week and searched on different platforms over the web for flats. I wasn't able to find something close to the university for a reasonable price, not for me alone, in a flat or together with two other students like me. Finally, I ended up in a single room in Rocklands - Epson for $200 a week, what was after all cheap, but not what I would recommend to other students who want to spend a semester in Auckland. I think, staying in one of the Student accommodations gives you more opportunities to spend time with other students and people with similar interests.

Study at AUT:
I really liked the atmosphere of studying at AUT. The city campus is well designed and has some really nice places to learn and socialize. Events, organised by Ausm or the Interfaculty tournaments, were always fun and brought real value to my semester. The Support of the people in the university and international office is amazing. If you have any problem, there is always someone who can help you out.
However, I missed the variety of sports I had at home. If you're not a fan of going to the gym, you have to go to the North Campus for most of the offered sports, what is not that simple and comfortable in a big city like Auckland.

Travelling New Zealand:
During the semester, I had many beautiful adventures. Auckland is the perfect starting point for a lot of day and weekend trips if you don't want to leave and return during the rush hour! The semester break is a great opportunity for longer journeys.

Me:
My name is Sören, I'm 23 years old, from Germany and I study at OvGU in Magdeburg.

- Better sports organisation (centralised from the university)
- More support for the finding of the accommodation

Kiersten

I'm so glad I chose AUT as my host uni!

The city campus has modern, beautiful facilities that are great for both work and play. It's right in the heart of Auckland, so there is a bustling city vibe. The international support staff are incredible, and my professors were passionate about both their subjects and teaching itself. There wasn't too much of a social scene on campus; my classmates mostly kept to themselves and there was not motivation to join clubs. However, it was easy to make friends with my multi-cultural neighbours in WSA student accommodation, and now we're quite close!

I would appreciate more help with the transition back to my home uni. I don't know the best way to convey the difficulty level/content/relevance of the courses I took at AUT, and it's been a struggle to negotiate with them.

Noémie

Amazing Experience

Being an international Study represents an unforgettable experience. AUT in Auckland had made my semester enjoyable thanks to its warm welcome, and its integration. As Iive in the other side of the world, in France, the unviersity has well helped us to prepare our arrival like visa, accomodation... As a business student, the differents papers allowed me to know more about the business culture of New Zealand.

I thing what missed was the fact we could not discover more the New Zealand culture for exchange business student at the university. I suggest to offer a paper about Maori culture for example.

Bella

Studying and Living in Auckland

Studying at AUT is such a great experience, especially as an exchange student. The pace of the classes are easy to manage which gave me lots of time to still travel around. Plus the housing we are given is in the middle of the city which was convenient for enjoying what the city has to offer. The only downer is that there is a lot of construction but that's one of the prices you pay for living in a bustling city.
Also the locals here are wonderful and very inclusive! They are always happy to offer advice on places to visit and how to get there. I've made such wonderful friends here and I'm so glad I got the opportunity to call Auckland my home for a semester.

Steffen

Business Exchange at AUT

My semester at AUT was an incredible experience. The courses were very interesting and different from my courses at home, which made it fun to go to class. The group work allowed me to meet many Kiwis, which was great.
Most important to me was the nature and travel opportunities in New Zealand. There are so many different things to experience and I am sure everyone that come to this beautiful country will find something they like.
The mid-semester break allowed me to travel the South Island which was definitely the highlight of my stay here.
I would recommend anyone to come here, you will have an amazing time!

Simone

Study and working in Auckland

I had the opportunity to study at the Auckland University of Technology for a semester. For this reason I have decided to take an internship semester that gave me the opportunity to be both a student at AUT and an intern in a local high-tech company. I can definitely say that I am happy for choosing this university. The papers were able to capture my interest and the AUT staff is expert and helpful in case of any necessity. Unfortunately I cannot say anything about the university student's apartment since I have chosen to live in a house outside AUT. However, the price of the houses here in Auckland is quite expensive and still rising. Be aware of not renting a room too far from uni, since the transport service is not so spread.

It could be a good improvement to avoid papers from the same course of study in two different campuses, since the south campus is quite far.

Jonas
406/163 Queen Street, 1010 Auckland
Auckland University of Technology

An experience i would choose to relive all over again

Accomodation:
Coming to Auckland in the beginning of february two weeks before orientation week the first challenge i faced was finding a place to live. Because WSA (AUT student accomodation) was already booked out i had to find a place to live on my own. At first it was quite challenging and i wasn't sure i would find something. Apartments or rather rooms in apartments in the CBD are very expensive and usually quite small. I exlusively looked for apartments through the website "Trade me". To open up a "Trade me" account as a non NZ / AUS citizen you need a New Zealand phone number and an address in New Zealand. For apartments in and around the CBD i found this way the most promising to find an apartment. A good alternative are facebooks groups like "AUCKLAND FLATS / HOUSES FLATMATES ROOMS & BOARDING WANTEDTO RENT".
Ultimately i got quite lucky and found a place on queen street. Most reviews i read from other students told me to come to Auckland two weeks ahead of the beginning of Uni to find a place and it turned out to be around two weeks till i found a place that suited me.
If the places in CBD are not to your liking look in the suburbs around CBD. For example grafton, parnell or ponsonby.
If you cannot decide if you want to live at WSA or a place outside of the student accomodation you should ask yourself how bad you want to be connected to the student life around WSA because most students meet and plan trips together within WSA.

Studying:
From my experience the workload and the level at AUT are managable. One of the challenges is to fit in all the assignment you will have during the semester and at the same time get as much travelling done as possible. I suggest to put in a good amount of effort on your first assignments so you get a sense of how much work is needed for the grade you want. If you have any questions or doubts always just turn to your tutor/lecturer/teacher and ask them for help. They are really supportive and try to make all the tasks as clear as possible.

Travelling/Student Life:
First of i have to say that living outside of WSA has been quite fun and relaxing because i basically had my own place and didnt have to follow any guidelines or rules of student accomodation. On the other side i learned that to stay connected to the international students you most certainly will have to go to WSA quite a lot to socialize and stay connected to what is going on. Also don't underestimate the time you will have to travel and to do road trips. Before you know it will be exam time and you wont have as much time to travel or all the other students won't have time because they will have to prepare for exams.

There is a lot of cool stuff to do in and around auckland. Definitely take your time to check out the south island and do so as long as the weather is stable.

There is not a lot that i felt like was missing as far as what the university offered. Nevertheless there were a few things i felt like could have been done better.

The orientation week was a good start into the semester but most of the programs that were being offered on these days i felt like were unusefull and most of the students did not benefit from it. Make it more exciting and more about students connecting with eachother.

I dont understand why international students have to pay for a gym membership after they already spent heaps for tuition fees and to study at AUT. I feel like the University could offer a few more priviliges for international students in hindsight that most of us pay a lot of money to spend a semester at AUT.

Another thing is the events AUT organises for the international students. Yesterday was the farewell party for international students and i saw so many students there connecting with eachother and enjoying all of the international students being together. After experiencing the party yesterday i feel like it would be a huge benefit to the programm to organise more social events for the international students.

Reginald
New York
University of Hartford

Life Changing

My experience was very unique because of the different classes I took while here and all the different people I was exposed to. From my classmates to my professors everyone I met had different mindsets and experiencing that was something that can never be done again. I've had too many great memories here to just pick one. My advice to any future participants is just go out and put your best foot forward to meeting new people and making new memories.

This program is perfect the way it is

Cody
New Hampshire

TEAN at AUT

A semester in New Zealand has changed my life, and Auckland was at the forefront of this experience. Auckland is a young and vibrant city with a very diverse population. There is an endless number of shops and stores, restaurants, bars and clubs to explore. There are a few notable hills (mounts) in Auckland that are a quick hike with some rich history behind them, and just a short ferry ride away are a number of islands worth exploring. The student apartments (WSA) were great as they were comfortable, well designed and filled with other international students. The Education Abroad Network did an incredible job making sure their students had an amazing experience abroad. They often provided tickets to events and adventures, and a sit-down dinner with a staff member was never too much to ask.

My only added critique for TEAN would be an end-of-semester recap with our group. Through TEAN, we spent 4 days in Fiji becoming best friends with 35 other students from around the USA. While we stayed in contact with each other through the duration of out time in NZ, many of us longed to be brought back together once more before returning to the USA - realistically it would be the last time we would see them again.

Alyssa
University of Vermont

Amazing Aotearoa

The Study Abroad program at AUT is amazing! The staff are incredibly helpful and the campus is a great place to live and study. The Maori community is one of the best things about the program - learning about the culture from passionate members of AUT is both intriguing and inspiring! In all, the plentiful amount opportunities provided through this program to assist you in making the most of your time in the beautiful country of New Zealand made the experience unforgettable.

Noelle
Huntington NY
University of Vermont

A Wonderful Time

Auckland is an amazing and lively city, AUT is a great school with a broad range of options depending on what you want to study, and WSA is the perfect place for international students to meet one another and enjoy living together in a fun environment. Study abroad advisors were extremely accessible, friendly, and helpful, and this was an overall amazing experience that I would definitely recommend to anyone considering!

Mathilda
Copenhagen

Incredible surroundings and people

Some international girls and I wen't on a weekendtrip to Matapouri. We wanted to experience the Mermaid pools, so we hiked over a muddy and slippery hill where we slipped and tripped but in the end we reached the summit and began to glide slowly down towards the pools. It wasnøt very warm, but when we got there the sence of accomplishment took over and everybody jumped into the ice-cold water and celebrated! Heaps of fun and great friendships have evolved since then.

Amir
Cologne

Study abroad at AUT

I can only recommend doing an exchange semester and AUT is definitely the right University to go with. From the first contact on did you receive quality help with choosing your courses and what to do to get started in New Zealand. Despite helping with academic questions did the AUT team also provide useful other information e.g. that there was an upcoming All Blacks game which a lot of students went to watch. Furthermore, did the AUT team also provide nice social events to get to know other people from all around the world.

There are not a lot of things to be improves. What would be useful not just for international students, but in general is a much more detailed description of the courses. More information about the courses can help to avoid classes you don't like.

Stefan
Stuttgart

A great Semester in the land of the big white cloud

My semester at AUT was my last and definetly best semester ever.

Arriving in Auckland two days late for the orientations, the staff got me sorted really quick and already supported me before arrival. It is very helpful that you receice a confirmation about the placement in your papers beforehand!

The people studying at AUT are a very international group, so you will probably have the most multicultural circle of friends you will ever have.

The lectures at AUT are very professional and are held in small groups which gives lecturers the opportunity to address student’s questions whenever they occur.
Although the studies at AUT required quite a lot of work, there was always enough time for travelling around the islands. New Zealand is definitely one of the most beautiful countries in the world, if not the most beautiful one. - But please bring raincoats, New Zealand is so green for a reason...

All in all it can be said that this semester was an amazing experience I will never forget and I wuld recommend it to everybody!

Lucas
Berlin

Fantastic Semester

I got to AUT through an exchange program of my home university. My main reason to come here was that I wanted to go to NZ. And after being here I can only recommend everything! AUT is a really impressive University. Before comming here the staff was really friendly and helped me prepare all necessary files. I was also supported in finding accomodation.
My classes at AUT al had a comfortable size and interested and friendly lecturers. During classes we had a lot of interesting conversations. The education offers classes in corporation with differnt companies.

The infrastructure around the university offers everything needed (gym, transport, clubs). Especially the AUT OFFGrid club is a nice opportunity to come around and explore the country.

By increasing the level of the education the international ratings and recognition could be improved.
The library should have all for classes required books.

Theresa
Bocholt

A "sweet as" semester

The semester I spent at AUT was a truly amazing experience right from the beginning on. Speaking of the beginning, the staff from AUT helped me a lot getting everything sorted even before I left Germany. In addition, they enabled all international students to get in contact via social media from June on and organized fun nights soon after everyone arrived.

So within a short period of time, I met a lot of wonderful people from all over the world. I'll never forget how two classmates who are from Auckland came to me after the first lecture and invited me to spent a weekend with them and their friends in Turangi. As they knew that I am not from NZ they wanted to show me a little more of the country - and proved everyone right who told me about how friendly and open-minded Kiwis are. The mid-semester break was the perfect opportunity for a road trip around the North island - a must do for everyone who stays here! Wonderful beaches, forests, mountains, skydiving, black water rafting, relaxing in hot springs - these two weeks were made for collecting thousands of memories.

It was always a good balance between studying and traveling even though I was not used to the test and assignments during the semester. My lecturers were always willing to help and support in case I had any questions and even gave me hints for the best places to go and spend my spare time.

So to everyone who thinks about studying at AUT - do it! You won't regret it.

Manuel
Viernheim

Study down under

This Semester was so far the best semester of my whole studies!
I'm so glad that I took the opportunity and challange to study in this amazing country.
I had so far the best time of my life here, met wonderful people and saw gorgeous places with my new friends. Even though I'm here to study I had enough time during the mid semester break to see so many awesome things and had countless outstanding experiences.
I can suggest AUT to everyone who is looking for a semester abroad and wants to make friends with people from all over the world :)

I don't really know how you could improve this program since is has everything you need when you come to newzealand. I am able to study a whole semester down here and still can work and travel for another 4 month until I have to go back to my home university to write my exams.

J
GYE

AUT semester abroad

So far my semester in AUT university has been one of the best times in my life. Getting to know people from all over the world has been outstanding and obviously local people as well. I find the maori culture to be magnificent in terms of sharing and joining people together.

AUT business school offers a wide range of 'papers' you can take reaching all of the topics one could expect. Besides from that, the fact that it's located in the CBD with great connections to the rest of the city makes it a great option.

Merel
Amersfoort

Greatest life experience ever!

I still look back at my time at AUT with one big smile. Everybody always told me that an exchange is an experience of a lifetime and I can gladly say that I 100% agree with this statement. I learned a lot about during my semester abroad and during the papers I followed I got in touch with the friendliest Kiwi's who told me everything about their culture.

I got the chance to travel almost every weekend and to party every night ;). AUT is a beautiful University that offers a big variety of courses. I even knew students who followed a wine tasting course (on a Monday morning, haha)! Don't hesitate to go here, one can never regret going to New Zealand.

The program could be a bit more challenging by giving more relevant literature, but that's just a preference and how things go in the Netherlands.

Fabian
Bocholt

Best semester by far!

Even though I arrived to late for the orientation week I got supported by the international office's friendly staff! They helped me receive my StudentID but also took care of problems regarding my student fees. The events they organised were fantastic and allowed international students to get to know each other outside of university.

All in all the choice of papers at AUT is huge. Anything from creative papers over engineering to Maori papers is possible. As my choice of papers was limited to the ones resembling my papers back in Germany I can't talk about the Maori classes but only the engineering ones. The lectures were mostly held interesting because of competent and social lecturers.

After finishing my lectures, with just the exams ahead, I am sad to know that I'll not only leave AUT, but also New Zealand, soon. The time at AUT was quite possible the best time I had so far and I doubt anything is going to top that anytime soon! I would recommend anyone who is even thinking about spending a semester abroad at AUT the tiniest bit to do so! Event though the tuition fees for international students are quite high I don't regret a single dollar I spent.

Paula
MADRID

NO DISAPPOINTMENTS

I have been creating good memories since the very first week. Thanks to Sam and Kenneth, international students have become a whānau.
I have managed to meet people from different parts of the world and I have experienced New Zealand to the maximum.
Thanks to the Noho Marae weekend, the International parties and the facebook group we have managed to stick all together.

My funny story is my first van trip around the north island. Because when you come to New Zealand, doing van roadtrips are a MUST. And this was the very beginning of my adventures in New Zealand.
I remember the first night, driving in the dark trying to find a place to park and sleep. We suddenly saw toilets and decided to stop there. We parked the vans, put up the tent and cooked dinner under the light of those toilets. That night we 'slept' by the sea. And I say we 'slept' because it was freezing cold and I couldn't even sleep wearing 3 sweatpants, 4 sweaters, 4 pairs of socks, a hat and gloves. I cried because I thought I was going to die of hypothermia.
Apparently, somehow I fell asleep and when I woke up, I woke up to the most stunning views.
The rest of the trip was awesome and all the places that I have visited so far in New Zealand are amazing. There's no place that has disappointed me.

Mallory
Jacksonville, FL, USA
University of North Florida

Love AUT!!!

New Zealand as a whole is great but AUT is wonderful! It's spread out through the city which makes it feel big but most of the classes are relatively small. The international team is fantastic and always has opportunities for you to meet other internationals. And their events never felt like lame school events, they were always so fun and lively! I would 10/10 recommend AUT!!! I wish I could finish my entire degree here!

Marlies
Apeldoorn
Hogeschool van Amsterdam

Cliché but true: experience of a lifetime!

The study abroad and exchange program at AUT gives you the opportunity to meet fellow students from all over the world, they encourage you to travel around the beautiful nature of New Zealand and they offer possibilities to meet natives and get a glimpse of the Maori culture! Just before the semester they created a facebook group with all international students who were about to come over to AUT and because of this I already met a great group of people on my second day overseas. Your family might be on the other side of the world but in no time we created a big new international family for the semester! For me it wasn't only the city itself but mostly the people I met who made my semester this great.
I saw a lot of the country as you generally have plenty of time to travel around, either in the semester break, the weeks before the semester actually started and sometimes a weekend trip in between. New Zealand is such a diverse country in terms of nature!
Overall, I felt really welcome everywhere in the city and in the university: everywhere on campus people we're willing to help you out if you had any problems. Every Thursday the city campus hosted small performances, gatherings of clubs and free lunch, it brought people together and on sunny days it provided really good vibes!

Elfi
Oslo

Best semester so far!

When I first travelled to New Zealand I was terified that I would end up alone in my apartment, and fail all my classes, because I travelled alone. What happened was something quite different. I was put in an apartment, with the best flatmates a girl could've asked for. With My flatmates i've explored New Zealand and Auckland, and had the time of my life. The dorms are a good place to find friends, and they also arrange lots of activities during the semester.
Only negative thing about living in dorms is the paper thin walls, but you get used to it, and you get to know your flatmates quite well after a few months.

I study electrical engineering back home, and I would rather continue atudying at AUT than going back home if I had the oportunity. I really like the way they teach at AUT, it's more practical than what I'm used to, but I feel like that is a better aproach in my course. Also, the lectures is actually quite good at what they're doing, and seem like they enjoy what they teach, which makes the lectures more interesting for the students.

I would absolutely go back to AUT if I have the chance later in life!

More information could be given to study abroad students at the start of the semester.

Andreas
Roskilde, Denmark

Joining a purebred university coming from a business school

I study Economics and Business Administration at my home university. Coming from a designated business school, where everything you do is focused around revenues, profit, and competing against other businesses, joining a university where all most students have different educational backgrounds was a pleasant surprise. The different perspectives this give to discussions and assignment etc. was wonderful. Truth be told I was a bit disappointed of how easy my papers was in the beginning of the semester. After a slow start the papers became more challenging and comparable to with what I'm used to. The lectures came up with understandable examples from their careers and made sure to bring a perspective of how things are done in reality during every lecture.
Bonus info: the kiwis are extremely friendly and helpful when you arrive alone at AUT for the first time.

10/10 would come back.

AUT University was established in 1895 and has transitioned from an excellent polytechnic to become a world ranked university. We are New Zealand’s third largest and fastest growing university – positioned in the top 5% of Universities internationally, with five star ratings for teaching, graduate