There is a reason why South Africa is consistently rated one of the top travel destinations in the world. Make that several reasons. Where else can you watch the sunrise from the top of a mountain, catch a wave in the ocean and spot an elephant roaming at dusk all in the same day? President Nelson Mandela proclaimed this country as the ‘Rainbow Nation’ – a country as diverse and colorful as it is exciting and adventurous.
Whether you prefer the wild outback of the Greater Kruger, the rural beauty of Zululand, or the hustle of Cape Town, South Africa has something to offer for any volunteer.
African Impact's Top Volunteer Programs in South Africa
- African Big 5 and Wildlife Conservation, Greater Kruger Area: Take your safari to the next level by joining our research team in game reserves across the region, tracking and monitoring the ‘Big 5’ – lions, elephants, rhinos, leopards and buffalo
- Day Care and Community Support, Zululand: Work with local children as well as the greater community in a rural Zulu village of South Africa that is surrounded by wildlife
- Wildlife Photography and Conservation, Greater Kruger Area: Learn to take great photographs and use them to contribute to the conservation efforts of South Africa’s at-risk wildlife
- Early Childhood Development, Cape Town: Provide specialized support to local children in township communities during, and after, school hours, contributing to their health, safety, learning and fun
- Rural Medical and HIV / AIDS Awareness, Zululand: Gain skills in the health science field through hands-on work with local communities that tackles the effects of HIV in rural villages
- Social Impact Experience, Cape Town: Work closely with adults and children in a community shut off from the city, while completing a very special home-stay once a week
- Wildlife Sanctuary: Rescue and Release Project, South Africa: Live and work in a growing wildlife sanctuary in the Greater Kruger Area, helping to rescue and rehabilitate injured or lost wildlife