Online Level 5 TEFL Course

man high-fiving little kid
man high-fiving little kid
group of kids in matching Chinese cultural outfits
group of kids in matching Chinese cultural outfits

We only offer one course because we want all our students to have the best access to global TEFL opportunities. Our course leads to a Level 5 TEFL Certificate (168 hours), regulated by Ofqual (UK) and the DEAC (US) so it’s regulated by 2 government bodies!

The online-only version of the course is the most flexible way to get TEFL qualified. Most appeal to anyone would likes to study in your own time with help and support from our dedicated tutor team.

Once you have successfully completed the course you will be qualified to teach English abroad anywhere in the world. For maximum preparation there is an added bonus of a dedicated unit on teaching English to young learners. Another key reason why our TEFL Level 5 certificate is globally the most recognised and accessible TEFL of the market.

The online course consists of eleven mandatory units. With an average of 9 weeks online completion if participating full time.

• Tutor support from EFL professionals
  • Instant access on enrolment
  • 6-months access to online campus
  • Specialist Grammar Unit
  • Internationally recognised

We've got four, yes FOUR new course locations in North America!

👉 Washington DC

• Academic Rigor 8.3
  • Job Assistance 8.2
Nicola

My Experience with TEFL

My overall experience with the Level 5 TEFL course can be summed up in three words: rewarding, intense and challenging! Rewarding because I have studied a very detailed course, learnt many useful and helpful concepts and now have a teaching qualification, intense because it was a very short amount of time to work through a lot of material and the assignments were also very complex, and challenging because it was a lot harder and in-depth than I imagined it would be.

With this course, you only have access to the unit you are working on. Due to the short time frame, I was relieved that the next unit could be started while waiting for the feedback.

The feedback for the assignments was always within the five working days expected time frame which was very detailed and constructive and much appreciated.

I am so pleased I have completed this course and I would recommend it to anyone who is in a position to teach English in a different country.

In my opinion, 6 months to complete this course is not enough. I was in a fortunate position to not have too many other commitments while doing the course, but still I found it very intense. If I had a family and a full-time job, it would be very unlikely that I would finish in the time limit.
Sharon

My TEFL learning experience

Studying online with the TEFL Academy was at times definitely a challenge. However I found the lessons thought provoking and engaging. Because I am a native English speaker I can naturally apply proper English grammar. The challenge comes when teaching these rules to others. The TEFL Academy gave me some good guidelines for explaining some difficult concepts. For example when planning a lesson, there is a need for careful preparation. I learnt that it's important to research any new language that I would teach. learning through the TEFL Academy has also given me some good ideas for planning a lesson and for finding suitable activities to help the students learn.

Overall, academically this course is impressive. It covers all the learning areas that a teacher would need to know for teaching EFL students. The only thing that I would change is the time limit. The units are easy to work through, the challenge comes when completing assignments. The assignments took a lot longer than I anticipated. It would be nice also to send an email a month before the cutoff time of the course, to warn and remind the student,that they have limited time to complete all assignments.
Ina

Online Level 5 TEFL Course (168 hrs) Review

The Online Level 5 TEFL Course (168 hrs) was super fun to take. I loved the structure of the course, the platform was easy to navigate and the information was endless (in a good way) - covering all the questions I had. The assignments were the "though" part of the course. You have to combine a set of techniques taught through the course to successfully complete them, but don't worry by then you are well prepared, they just take a bit more time. I enjoyed all the examples that were given and the interactive exercises that help you check your understanding. The support team was very quick and thorough in replying to my inquiries.
If you are wondering whether to take the course or not, this is your sign! Don't put it off any further.

Maybe including an assignment where we'd have to teach an online class. That would give some practice and make it slightly more realistic.
RENE BOY

Online Level 5 TEFL Course

This is definitely the most comprehensive TEFL course out there and I have just successfully completed the level 5 168 hours online course. It was definitely more challenging than I anticipated, but I feel proud at having successfully achieved certification, after not having studied for 8 years after my degree. The course content is well laid out and presented. The assignments are challenging and require quite a bit of time and planning.

The actual course content is precise, grammar is spot on and the soft skills taught are invaluable. Good background information and lots of quality external references empower you to learn so much more than the course itself.

Overall a great in-depth and rewarding course.

What was your funniest moment?
the funniest moment was doing the first assignment. this was my first time to study again after 8 years and I messed up the first attempt as I did a whole new different topic without realizing I need to follow the instructions. god thing I have 2 more attempts to correct all my mistakes.
Shannon

Review

The course material was very interesting and accessible. The ticket system works well but perhaps there should be something else put in place like a tutor to email for assistance or any admin or short questions. Quizzes at the end of the course could be more challenging and clearer or more examples could be provided for the big assignments as this is very nerve-wracking when completing the assignment. The company could also send you an email one month before the expiry date of your course so make you aware of when you need to complete your course by.

Alberto

Great online course!

The online TEFL is very well-structured, it allows you to study with the most freedom on your spare time, the platform is entertaining and it provides a lot of further references and material that you can use. The reviews of the assignment have always been given on time and usually contain useful feedbacks to improve. At the end of the course there's also a whole page where you can find different websites where jobs from all over the world are posted. Unfortunately, most of them are meant for native speakers. That's clearly not on the TEFL Academy but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Anne

My first Course with the TEFL Academy

The Online Level 5 TEFL Course was the first online distance learning course I ever did, so I had no specific expectations and got surprised very positively. It was clearly structured and very transparent in terms of being aware of the own learning process and progress in the course. The content felt very complete to me and covered all relevant aspects about teaching English as a foreign language, in addiction a lot of further resources are provided at the end of the units and the end of the course. After finishing the course, I received the certificate very fast (in Europe) and also helpful templates for wiring a CV to apply for TEFL Jobs and further job sites. As far as I can see, the end of units tests were fair and easy to handle after some studying of the unit, while the three assignments were very time-intensive and challenging, but also a lot of fun as one really got the possibility to apply the knowledge about teaching methods and lesson planning and to be creative in designing appropriate and interesting lessons. The provided examples and guidance on the assignments were very helpful.
All in all I am very satisfied with this course and I feel confident and well prepared to teach English as a foreign language.

The only thing that in my point of view could be improved is to maybe provide more direct tutor contact (live-chat, video-calls,...) for further support or questions especially regarding the assignments.
Rosanne

TEFL Level 5 120 hour online course

I really enjoyed this course. I always wanted to be a teacher, but I thought it was too late for me. Then I heard about this course from a friend and grasped at the opportunity. When I purchased this course it was on special for only +- R 2500.00 and I was like wow! Getting a level 5 qualification and being able to travel the world sounded amazing. It was a well prepared course with relevant information to teach to students and the tests and assignments were based on what you learnt and enhanced that knowledge. Overall it was an excellent experience and prompt feedback from the tutors.

Go for it! Don't waste time thinking whether you should do it or not. Book and explore!