Chinese Culture + Language Immersion in beautiful & rustic Yangshuo

Chinese Culture + Language Immersion in beautiful & rustic Yangshuo

From the beautiful, rustic town of Yangshuo we provide a variety of Chinese courses and programs to choose from; with the possibility to start on any Monday, we offer the freedom and flexibility for you to reach your individual Chinese language goals. Our most popular program is the Comprehensive Course which teaches the fundamental aspects of Chinese language.

Alternatively, students can choose a Specialized Private Course which provides flexibility for those who wish to direct their focus on a particular area of study (for example business, art or literature). The HSK Preparation Course is designed to prepare students for all elements of the HSK exam; we pride ourselves on the fact we are one of the only Chinese schools in China to guarantee students will pass their current HSK level exam. Our small class sizes allow us to cater for individual students’ needs and our relationship with the English College means that students are constantly interacting with native Chinese speakers.

Asia » China » Guilin
Classes
Some Meals
Chinese
Deposit
All-inclusive package provides students with visa assistance, accommodation, meals, textbooks, weekly social night, and fortnightly cultural lessons. Alternatively, students can choose to pay for tuition only.
​Yangshuo

Katerina
Prague, Czech Republic

Great experience!

I had an amazing time in Omeida. I spent a month in Yangshuo and my Chinese improved a lot, especially oral Chinese. My teacher Yan is a real professional and very patient with her students. Location is also excellent because Yangshuo is well known for its natural beauty, it is a town surrounded by karst hills with breathtaking sceneries. I would highly recommend Omeida to everyone and I will definitely come back.

Rickard
Borås

An experience I will never forget

To go to Omeida and attend a four week intensive course, was for me the first big adventure I have done by myself in life and I really dont regret it. The staff was so nice and I found a lot new friends at school.

I was a bit worried, since I was going by myself that it would be a bit lonesome, but no I always had someone to talk to or drink coffee with. The staff was also very helpful when I had to renew my visa.

The one thing that could be a tad negative is that it was very cold and no central heating, but I went there in January so I guess I should have expected it and I would guess i'm a bit spoiled with central heating inside,

When it comes to my teachers, I must say that they were the most funny but also best teachers I ever had in students life. Only three days at Omeida, I think I learned more than I did during my chinese studies in Sweden.

Zhuge, the teacher I had the most was so funny and her big personality really made time fly by, I enjoyed every moment and she taught me so much with her mix of strict teaching but also reaching out and showing a warm and gentle side.

I only had Icy for a week, but during that time I think we got a good connection and her ways of using flashcards during classes and making me talk about my very big family, was a nice variation in teaching styles.

Wency, a teacher I had for three weeks was also very good and loved to tell funny stories, which made my listening ability improve a lot, she was also very good in explaining any uncertainties.

I never had the chance to have Phoebe as a teacher, but I did get to know her after school hours and she was really helpful when I got stuck with a problem, because I knew I could always ask her and tell her anything.

Overall, I did enjoy how these teachers taught in different ways, since it made my intensive course easier to cope with and even though I did think it was a bit much homework sometimes, I did really enjoy every second I spent during class, and doing my homework. All teachers helped me improve with my Chinese a lot.

Also special thanks to Anya and Wanda who helped me to renew my Visa and had all the information I needed to travel and explore around Yangshuo.

Twelve also deserves a short summary - he is the funny guy who arranges activities and if there is any questions, he is always available to ask. Also his singing is awesome.

I do miss everyone I got to know at Omeida and I wish I could have stayed for a longer period of time.

Would I recommend Omeida and Yangshuo to a friend? Certainly!
Will I return there? Ofcourse!

Bouchra
SPAIN

EXCELLENT TEAM

Dear All,

I am already home safe and sound. For the moment I am going to catch my breath and get some much needed chores at home and work done, but I can still take 5 minutes to write this email.

Thank you Wanda for your endless patience, and your efficiency in dealing with all the matters. Your professional replies and your patience in replying my several emails and clarifying my doubts made me choose Omeida.

Thank you Anya for the warm welcoming when I first arrived, and for always being willing to help.

Thank you Wency for your advices and followup,

I had the opportunity to work with two wonderful teachers and it was really enriching.

Zhuge is a kind of "Wonder Woman", she really can handle everything. the way she teaches keeps your brain awake all the time, she is full of energy, and imagination. She can be strict and funny, she can use mimic to explain the sentences structure. and games to guess and remember new characters. I also had the opportunity to know her a little bit more during the weekend trip and she turned out to be also brave, reponsible, and an adventure lover. Thank you Zhuge. You rock girl!

Jasmin is mix of sweetness and wisdom, it took her only 2 classes to find out my weak points and she worked on them till the end. she made me start thinking in chinese :) and she made me move forward in the gramma. Thank you Jasmin.

Twelve is definitely the cherry on top of the cake, funny, resourceful, witty and with a great Outlook. He is indeed the right person for the job.
Still remember the nice dinner and the KTV night. Well done Twelve.

I wish you all continued success in your future endeavors

My warm regards to everyone,

Bouchra from Spain

Russell
Chehalis, Washington

My Heart Belongs in Yangshuo

I was in Yangshuo for three months. I made some of the most amazing friends and connections there. I was glad to come home when my time was over but I find myself thinking of Yangshuo more and more these days. I miss the teachers, I miss the students, I miss the foreigners, I miss the random explorations into the countryside, I miss the midnight noodles. Three months was far too short. My only complaint really has nothing to do with the quality of the school. Academic-wise... there is no way for them to expect homework to actually get done. If you're a bad student you might not get as much accomplished in the learning of Mandarin... but you will learn, and you will still have amazing experiences. Do yourself a favor and come to this amazing place and be part of it's amazing story.

Maybe beat students who fail to accomplish their homework. Haha, no, it really is amazing.

Becky

Great program

Like the other reviewers, I only have good things to say about my month at Omeida. I went during the summer, peak time, and things were smooth and well organized. I took morning classes and spent the afternoons studying and the evenings exploring the cute town of Yangshuo.
The teachers and all the staff were nice, and there was lots of activities to keep me busy on my free time. I had a great summer there.

Matt
london
Bangor University

Omeida

really good teaching at a really good price, I will be going back! They have classes every day which are flexible so you can change the time of the class just by speaking to them. Volunteer programme is good because you get free accommodation. There is really good rock climbing in yangshuo, just make sure you go with someone who knows what they are doing! You wont be disappointed if you go to Yangshuo omeida

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Hi dear Matt, thank you a lot for your review. We are looking forward to studying with you again this year. See you in June :-)

Julie
Singapore

Outstanding experience!!!

My husband, ten year old daughter and I had a wonderful experience at Omeida.
Although it was only a short two weeks, I got my foot wet and can definitely say that it's all positive! I wanted to jump in! I was so envious of all the others who were staying longer....8, 9 months or even a year. I vowed I'd find a way to do the same in the future. Definitely a place I'd feel comfortable recommending if you like both social life and learning. The staff is always more than willing to help with a very warm happy smile. Yangshuo is calling me back!!!!

The social events were all in English. I'd like to see more opportunities to practice speaking listening to and speaking Chinese during these events.

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Thank you Julie for your positive comment and your suggestion!
Hope your family, especially the little girl enjoyed the holiday in Canada.
We all looking forward to meeting with you again in the future.
And we will try harder to encourage our students to speak Chinese as much as they can out of the classroom :-)

Patty
The Netherlands

Great experience, my best decision of the year

I just got back from my time at Omeida's and I want to share some specific examples on how well they are organised with their genuinely warm familylike approach of the students.
Only 2 1/2 weeks before arriving at Omeida's I had decided to go to China and because this was my first time, I didn't want to go to a big city where you drown in the crowd, therefore Yangshuo with the surrounding mountains seemed the perfect place. After contacting Omeida the staff understood immediately that there was no time to loose and reacted quickly by informing me what to do to get the visa and by sending me the necessary documents to apply. They even checked with me whether I received the visa in time or not. I was very impressed by their availability and saw this as a good sign. Thank you, Wanda!
I had arranged for a pick-up service from Omeida and upon arrival at the airport the driver was waiting for me with a huge smile that never left his face, by the way. We tried to chat with each other, he spoke a little English, so it was not easy, but I can tell you that we laughed a lot. I had so much fun already just by being in that car, looking around and discovering the beautiful countryside. Anya, thank you and please thank the driver again for me.
For the lessons I had 2 teachers, they were both not only very bright with great teaching skills, they were also very patient and lovable. They put the students needs first and they know exactly what that need is. My brains were really put to work, I needed that because it had gotten lazy! I like to compare it with Chinese massage: on that moment it may hurt a little bit, but afterwards you feel the great benefit.
Anyway, their teachings gave me quite a few aha moments. Thank you so much, Wency and Suzan!
No matter your question, the entire staff, the ladies who take care of lunch and dinner, and Mr. Omeida himself are very friendly and pull you right into the family atmosphere. As a natural reaction the students welcome you also as part of the family and you are immediately well received and invited to something, which is very nice and helpfull, because if there are no issues you can totally focus on your language study. I can truly say that I got the experience I wanted and that coming to Omeida's was my best decision of the year.

During the 2 times 10 minute breaks you hear the students talking in anything but Chinese, which disrupted a little my trying to stay in the Chinese thinking. But of course I could have started the discipline myself in trying to communicate in Chinese with them, which I didn't, I took the easy way :)

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Patty, thank you, thank you for such a detailed review about your great experience at Omeida. It makes us very happy to hear that it was the best decision of the year!

We always try to encourage students to speak Chinese as much as possible not only with our staff, but also with other students in Chinese Academy.

Perhaps we should make a spot, for example that people who are sitting on the sofa in the student lounge should only speak Chinese between each other. Thank you once again for sharing your experience with us! We really appreciate it!

amelia
Germany

I couldn't wish for a better school!

This was my second time coming to Omeida. I spent four weeks there last year, which was a great experience, so I decided to come back for another four weeks and I was certainly not disappointed! The teachers are still wonderful, they are doing a great job and really care about your progress. So do all the other members of the staff, and they will help with any problems, organizing weekend trips, airport/station transfers etc. As the classes are really small (I usually was with 2-3 people) teachers can really focus on you and help you with your personal problems. Besides, the cultural classes are very interesting and the weekend outings often take you to places you might not be able to reach on your own.

Yangshuo itself is a beautiful town which offers such a wide range of spare-time activities that there is no chance of getting bored. The mountains just call you to explore them by bike or on foot and for those who like to go out in the evening, there is a big selection of bars to choose from.

In general, the atmosphere at Omeida is just really friendly and relaxed and you will learn a lot of Chinese during your stay!

-- 2014 --

I had a really awesome time at Omeida! The teachers are really great. I was a complete beginner when I came to the school and the only word I could say was ni hao. But after four weeks of intensive course, I was actually able to have small conversations with Chinese people if they made an effort. Besides, I also learned some characters. The size of my class was between 1 and 3 people, which made my progress very fast and I always felt challenged. I really enjoyed that. In addition to that, my teachers kept encouraging me all the time, so I never felt like giving up. They actually made Chinese seem easier to learn than I ever expected.
Besides, the school took really good care of me in every aspect. I could always ask them for help when I wanted to organize a trip, an airport transfer or just a piece of advice for a weekend activity. This way I never needed to feel lonely or lost. Furthermore, they also organize great spare time activities!

Yangshuo is a great place to stay - there is so much to do, so many places in nature to see that you are not going to feel bored. In the evening, there are also a lot of places to go to.

In my opinion, the food in the canteen was ok, though I got bored with it after some time. But then, I suppose that's normal for canteen food, so I think it's ok and if you don't want to eat there, it is no problem to cancel your meals.

I personally was very lucky with my room, it was really nice, and I even had a western-style bathroom, which is, however, not quite common here.

So - you should definitely go to Omeida. It's absolutely worth leaving the big cities to come here, you will have a great experience!

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Amelia! Thank you very much for your descriptive review about the wonderful time you had in Omeida, Yangshuo and its surrounding area. We really appreciate the time you took to write these kind words about us.

It was great to have you study with us at Omeida twice already and we really hope to see you once again next summer!

P.s. We wish you would be with us today in our cultural lesson- we are making moon cakes as the Mid Autumn festival is approaching. Happy moments, dear Amelia and all the best!

Steen J.
Denmark

A great place to kickstart your chinese learning!

I studied at Omeida for 3 weeks in the summer of 2015 and I was so happy to study there. From day one a large group of students welcomed me to the school and invited me to dinner with them. I was so welcome from day one. Apart from this big group of good friends the school staff is good at arranging weekend-trips which help give the school a really nice environment for learning and at the same time have a fun time while you are in Yangshuo. This great social environment was a great boost to the also really good classes at the school. I had 60 hours of lessons over a period of 3 weeks (2 weeks normal and 1 week intensive). The teachers were very engaged in their job and often spend several hours until late at night preparing. I started from no chinese skills at all and in three weeks I am now able to handle the most basic things while I travel around China. If you have more time I would though strongly recommend that you do more classes than I have done or at least try to squeeze in more intensive classes, since these give really great results. I was really happy to have 2 weeks of free afternoons to see Yangshuo though.
In conclusion Omeida is a really good place to start your Chinese learning and if you go there you can be certain that the staff and the other students will welcome you with open arms, and that you will have a great time.

I would have liked to have more events that were focused on bringing the students from morning and afternoon classes together. I felt like there were many of the afternoon students, which it took a while to get to know.
In my stay there was a really good group of students that were welcoming to all new - Make sure to work on keeping a group like this going, I felt so welcome when I arrived!

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Steen, thanks a lot for your review, we really appreciate your words. We are very happy that you had a great time here in Omeida. All the staff and students miss you already! Come back!

Yes, you are right, in order to improve Chinese even more, we definitely recommend to choose an intensive course. Or its always possible to combine few weeks of standard course and then few weeks of intensive Chinese learning. Omeida is very flexible!

And of course, we strive to maintain the homely atmosphere at Omeida, where everyone knows each other and is sharing ideas, dreams and hopes. We are so happy that we have this friendly group who support each other and really welcoming.

Lots of love,

Omeida

Stephen
Illinois
University of Illinois- Urbana-Champaign

Amazing Environment to Learn Chinese Language and Culture

I'm a PhD student joining a lab with mostly Chinese native speakers, so I thought I should learn Mandarin and earn the opportunity to practice more with my labmates later.

The teaching was superb, and the language partner program provided excellent infrastructure to continue learning outside the classroom and really get a fully immersive experience.

What really made my time in Yangshuo special, however, was the laid-back atmosphere of the school, the friendliness of the staff and other students, and the surrounding natural beauty. I've never before had a time in my life that was so carefree, where my "job" was just to talk and listen and learn. The staff were all really focused on student happiness, and often organized weekend outings. The teachers and staff were more than just their job titles, and without exception became friends with every student, eager to share more of Chinese language and culture both inside and outside the classroom.

If you come here, you will learn, which was my goal -- but you will probably come away with a bit more than just that.

There are some things like the canteen food which could be improved, but given the price and the fact that meals can be canceled and refunded quite flexibly, I don't think this is a huge issue.

The biggest issue, in my opinion, is that the teachers and staff aren't paid enough. As a result, the turnover rate for teachers tends to be fairly high, with teachers leaving, returning, and new teachers coming in fairly regularly. I could be wrong, but I don't think very many of the teachers have been around for more than a year or two. Although there are lots of costs besides teacher salaries that go toward running a school, the proportion of tuition that goes toward teacher and staff salaries is still surprisingly low (Chinese are very open about salaries and I did some arithmetic).

There could be lots of other costs that I don't know about however, and the aforementioned may just be a sad necessity required to keep the cost of tuition relatively low compared to other places.

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts with us, Stephen! We are very proud of the achievement you made during your 8 weeks of Chinese study at Omeida. We also loved your leaving note you wrote; it is hanging on our board in the student lounge at the moment.

It makes us a little bit sad, that you might have gotten the impression that Omeida does not treat their staff and teachers well. It is not only very important for us to make students feel happy and fully satisfied with their studies and time in Yangshuo, but also we strive to make our staff and teachers work experience in Omeida as best as possible. Without our dedicated staff, Omeida would not be what it is today. We fully value and appreciate their efforts to make Omeida a more beautiful place. Therefore I would like to share some facts with you to clarify the situation:

- As in majority of companies around the world, there is a probation period with lower salary in Omeida as well, after that the salary increases accordingly. There is also a full package of benefits that comes apart from the salary including annual bonus, various discounts, staff trips and free accommodation.

--During summer time we will hire some temporary experienced and professional teachers to meet the demands of increased students. This is one of the reasons you saw the some teachers leaving.

-- Many of our teachers work on long-term contract such as Wency, Zhuge, Cindy, Anya etc. Some Chinese teachers (teaching English in our English college) have been working here for nearly 10 years such as Leilei, Erin, Maisie, Joe, Jake, Stone, Jack Wang and even our cleaning staff Auntie Liu and Auntie Zhang. Without stable and reliable staff, we could not expect nice and positive feedback from our students, not to say our students’ number grows year by year.

--Our management team is working hard to make Omeida a bigger brand with more students, based on which we can improve the working environment and provide more competitive payment to our staff. We value every single employer and appreciate their hard working to make Omeida a home for both our students and staff.

We really appreciate your honesty. Hope you can return in the future and study with Omeida again. We wish you to keep making a great progress in Chinese language and culture learning!

Phil
UK

An amazing experience! A must for anyone learning Chinese

Everything you could ever want from a Chinese school is right here. Studying during the day, socialising with the English students in the afternoon and going out to eat delicious food in the evening.
The teaching standards were of extremely high quality and I felt that everyday my Chinese was improving an incredible amount.

If there was any suggestions I would make, it would be to spend a little more time testing students first to make sure they are in the correct class for their level. A number of times students were added whose Chinese Level was either to low or too good and this disrupted the class. Another suggestion would be for the rooms to be better cleaned and there was some dust under the bed and on the ride table.

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Hey Phil, thanks a lot for your review and for suggestions. We always strive to improve our service and facilities, therefore feedback is greatly appreciated.
It is awesome to hear that your Chinese level improved a lot and that you had a great time here with us, at Omeida.

We will definitely take into account your suggestions regarding Chinese level testing of new students. As well as will let our room service know that they might have missed some dust under the bed and on the table, so next time it would not happen again.

We wish you happy moments! and of course, keep learning Chinese!

Luna
Almeria, Spain
University of Almería

Awesome school!Awesome people!Awesome Yangshuo!

I completely fell in love with the magical surrounding area of Yangshuo and the homely atmosphere of Omeida Chinese Academy. Everyone in the Academy is always smiling, very positive and ready to help you with any question you might have. And of course teachers are very friendly and professional.
The area of Yangshuo is so picturesque, rivers flowing, limestone mountains are all around you. You can cycle around, go rock climbing, visit little typical Chinese villages, eat local food, practice Tai Chi, yoga. Seriously the options are endless.

You only live once, don't even doubt and come to Omeida and Yangshuo straight away! I am sure you will have a time of your life!

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Awww, thank you so much Luna for your review! We are very happy to hear that you are one of the many people who fall in love with Yangshuo, its surroundings and our school.

We strive to make a positive difference in lives of our students. Your positive words make our job meaningful!

Tammy
Hessen, Germany

A place to fall in love with!

Yangshuo is a wonderfull place to learn Chinese and there are so many activities you can do during your free time, like renting a bike, hiking, rock climbing, swimming, clubbing and so on.
Omeida is a great school with nice people and very good teachers. They support you in every situation around your daily life in Yangshuo. Regulary social activities planned by the staff give you the chance to explore Yangshuos surrounding or learning Chinese games, dances or kalligraphy.
The integrated English academy for Chinese people gives you the chance to stay in contact with Chinese people, so that you can practise your Chinese intensivly.
I can totally recommend Omeida, if you like learning Chinese with open minded people, during social activities, sports, life close to the nature and if you like to have a close contact to local Chinese.

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Dear Tammy,

Thank you so so much for you review!
Omeida fell in love with you too, we miss you very much here...
It was really great to spend these few weeks with you, going climbing, cycling, playing scrabble hahaha!

Please come back as promised!!!

Omi

Thanks Omeida team

The Omeida team is composed of a group of chinese teachers all very efficient and helpful. We had fun together (ride bycicle, go swimming, have meal, speak chinese and cook French dishes!). Each person brought me different experience and I learn from each of them about their culture. They are all devoted and passionated to their teaching. It was a pleasure to be part of their student.
Regarding the environment it's a great place if you like nature and sport or want to enjoy life far from big cities. Yangshuo is full of places to visit and things to do. I will remember for a long time my trip in Omeida.
Omi

More intensive program and a better organisation for student's level.

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Dear Omi,

It was OUR pleasure to have you as part of our Omeida family. We thoroughly enjoyed your presence and not forget to mention delicious French dishes.

Come back to Omeida! Our team misses you already!

Ellen
Chengdu

Best time ever

After studying four weeks in Beijing, I came to Yangshuo. Beijing was too expensive and the school I went to, was too focused on money. I by accident found Omeida on the Internet and I immediately liked it. After a few emails back and forth I decided to book and fly to South china. I must say after the big city you need a bit of audjusting, but the school made feel very welcome. I got a welcome pack for free, including towel, cloth hangers and all sorts of maps. In Beijing they would have made you pay a 100 euros. First impression was already very good. I had a brilliant teacher Cindy and I notice my Chinese improve quickly. I booked an all inclusive package which ment housing and food twice a day. The food in the school canteen was not bad, but sometimes you would rather eat out and that was no problem. If you cancel a day before you get your money back. Every time I had a question, whether about Chinese SIM card, school activities or anything else all the staff would help immediately. After one month (too short) I felt part of the omeida family. The difference with Beijing is that the school here focusses on your experience and making it an unforgettable one, instead of focussing on money. I would say omeida you are doing in the right way, because I love to share my experiences with others and I cannot wait to come back!

Yangshuo it self is quite touristic, however you only need 5-10 min to cycle out of the crowd and you can see beautiful landscape, small villages, rivers, karst mountains, you can climb, you can hike, you can swim, you can eat! And be very satisfied with living in South china.

I was lucky to have an amazing language partner, we got a long as great friends, however I can imagine when you sign up for the language partner program you need some more guidance on how to set up the hour. To make sure it's an efficient hour instead of talking about the weather.

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Ellen! Thank you SO much for your awesome review. It means a lot to us that you had a best time ever.

Here at Omeida we have a mission that each and every student would have a super happy experience in Yangshuo; would feel comfortable and at ease and of course would improve their Chinese language skills to a very high level.

Your positive feedback means a lot to us. Thank you!

Dave
TURKMENISTAN, MARY

It was WONDERFUL time in my life

2015.02.01. I came to Omeida to improve my chinese language. And my teachers Becky and Cindy were very professional . Other Omeida staff also were excellent , very helpful (Anya, Twelve, Daisy, Wanda, Ieva, Abby, Kelly) . Yangshuo is also wonderful place, local people so friendly. When I was in OMEIDA, I really had wonderful life, enjoyed life's GOOD!
If I have some opportunities, I would be stay with OMEIDA in YANGSHUO. And I happily reccomend the OMEIDA to anyone who is like to improve their chinese level and chinese culture, enjoying Chinese life with foreign people and students.

In Omeida almost all the students come from EU,US or AUS. And a few people from Russia. But about Central Asia just only two or three people. I would like to say, in future, let's know about OMEIDA not only EU or US, and let's know another students whose mother tongue is not English language. Because, if in Omeida have a lot of students from another country, can communicate to each other another languages and culture.

I wish, in future, Omeida's students day by day getting more!

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Dave, thank you so much for such a WONDERFUL review. We are so happy to hear that you had a wonderful time of your life here in Yangshuo. It means a lot to us as we always want to make our students stay as best and happy as possible.
We wish you all the best of luck and really hope to see you again in China!

Our team is sending hi and hugs to you!

Tyler
中国 福建 厦门
Saint John's College- Santa Fe

Wonderful Place, Wonderful People, Wonderful Program

I have attended Omeida on two separate occasions now for a combined total of nine weeks study, and both were magical experiences that fostered a rapid and dramatic improvement in Chinese.

The setting of course is beautiful and unique, as its reputation would suggest, and there is no need for me to add here to the already plentiful enconia to the natural splendor in and around Yangshuo. The school and its attendant dormitories are about a twenty to thirty minute walk from the noisier and somewhat tourist infested downtown area, and the environs are somewhat sleepy with beautiful views of the karst mountains in all directions.

The teaching and administrative staff are excellent - professional, friendly and accessible, and contribute to a warm and cheerful atmosphere.

Particularly advantageous are the small class sizes - the maximum number of students in the classroom in my time at Omeida was four, and often there were only two of us. This means that you will have many hours of actual practice and conversation daily, and in my opinion will be able to progress much more quickly than is possible in a larger classroom.

I have also been very impressed by the teachers' ability to place students in a class appropriate to their level. Since students come and go over varying periods of time, I had the opportunity to see various classmates join the classroom and leave again, and I don't know that anyone ever felt as though the had been misplaced.

Finally, I would like to mention that the group of students the school attracts seems invariably to consist of warm, kind, interesting and adventuresome people from all around the world and all walks of life. The camaraderie around school and on the various outings and activities on offer is heartwarming.

I happily recommend Omeida highly to anyone who is interested in studying Chinese in a beautiful place and surrounded by wonderful people.

It would be wonderful if the school had some sort of 24-hour study space or lounge open after the office closes. Perhaps there is some concern that it might get trashed, but personally I trust the students to keep it clean responsibly and it would be a real asset for those of us who prefer not to study in our rooms.

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Tyler, thank you for your WONDERFUL and descriptive review!

I think we read your mind about the improvement of our facilities. Actually, at the moment we are expanding and renovating Omeida Chinese Academy facilities. We are building a study room/student lounge, which yes, will be open for 24 hours! Students will be able to use their student card to access the facilities whenever they want to. And the best news is that it will be finished by the beginning of May!

So, when you come to study at Omeida for your third time in the future, not only our staff, but new student lounge will be waiting for you.

See you!

Robert
Scotland
University of Ulster- Coleraine

Simply the best - for me, at least!

I can't say this is the best school of its kind in China, because I haven't been to any other. But I'll be very surprised if there is a better all-round school - especially given the added attraction of its location. I carefully checked out options around the country and it ticked all the boxes for the kind of course, environment and overall experience I was seeking. I am happy to report that it did not disappoint. I can praise and criticise various aspects, but all these would be relative only to my preferences and expectations. Others would likely have a different opinion. The best endorsement I can give Omeida is that I am going back for more.

I hesitate to suggest changes for the sake of it. Enough to say that any worries, complaints etc that I had turned out to be temporary and easily dealt with. You're right, no program is perfect, but the Omeida staff and organisation seem to be adaptable and amenable to change. Customer comes first, and all that.

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Robert, thanks a lot for your review and for sharing the photos with us and others! In particular we really enjoyed to read the photo captions.

And of course, there could not be anything better for Omeida than a student who returns to study with us. It really means a lot for us! Thank you for being part of Omeida's family!

Clay
Shenzhen, China
Ohio State University

An excellent Chinese school in scenic Yangshuo

I took classes at Omeida for four weeks this past February, and was very impressed. The school is located on a very quiet street with housing very close by, and it is just a 10-15 minute walk from the center of the city. The teachers at Omeida were excellent; all my teachers had been teaching Mandarin for several years and were quickly able to create a teaching plan suitable for my level in which I feel I made great progress. Classes are small, as most classes have just 2-4 students.

Not only is the quality of instruction very high, but there is a real sense of community at the school. I quickly became friends with several members of the staff, and would accompany them on weekend trips to surrounding villages, hikes to the top of the TV tower, and on multiple camping excursions. They helped to make my stay in Yangshuo truly memorable. I will definitely be returning to study at Omeida sometime in the future.

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Clay, thank you very much for your positive review! We always really appreciate to hear feedback from our students.

We already miss you and your story telling skills!

Jose
Yangshuo, China.

The best way to study Chinese and Chinese culture

You will always have more than 1 city to choose from if you want to come and study Chinese in China. After living in a few places in China such as Shanghai and Zhejiang, I consider Yangshuo to be the best option. Yangshuo's picturesque Chinese-paint scenery and laid-back local atmosphere will keep your motivation high. When you are in the process of learning Chinese language and culture, the more motivation you get, the more persistent you become, and the more likely you'll be able to not only learn the language, but also understand the culture. In my own experience in Yangshuo, Omeida was the perfect link to master these skills!

Omeida has cultural lessons that will get you closer to the way people from China understand the world. I believe they could add to these lessons, for example: introduction to Chinese ancient wisdom (Taoism, Buddhism and Confucianism).

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Thanks a lot Jose for your review as well as interesting topic you suggested. Omeida will make sure to personally invite you to attend our cultural lesson of Ancient Chinese Wisdom in the near future!

Steven
China
Frostburg State University

Everything worked out as planned

I came to Omeida to improve my Mandarin language abilities and my two teachers (Abby and Zhuge) were very helpful and professional. The staff always helped too, especially Daisy, Wanda and Leva. I had a great time there and there were plenty of opportunities to practice Chinese. I would even say that there were more opportunities and activities then they advertised. Their advertisements were also accurate about their offerings on the whole, so I have nothing to really complain about. I was also very fortunate to meet someone very special here too. Anything can happen at Omeida!

The canteen food. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Thank you very much Steven for your review! We are very happy to hear that you had a great time in Omeida. Everyone misses you already and hopes to see you in the near future!

And yes, magic happens here in Yangshuo :)

Daniel
Im in Yangshuo - China

Omeida Experience

My experience in Omeida was very nice, everyone there was so friendly and helpful, besides the normal classes there are many cultural classes which is very important to understand the Chinese culture.
Another thing I like about Omeida is that they are not so rigid with the classes schedule, I had to change my classes more than once and there was no problem, they are open to do the best for the students.
I definitely recommend Omeida if you are looking to learn Chinese and experience China, not forgetting to mention that Omeida in located in Yangshuo, just google images for Yangshuo and it will blow your mind!

I think Omeida could have more online resources to help students, like a website with different learning tools.

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Yes, you are right, we try to be as flexible as possible as we want every student to be a very happy one.

Thanks a lot, Daniel, for your review and tips for on-line learning resources. We will definitely keep that in mind. All the best!!

Marion

So far so exellent

I've only been in Yangshuo for 1 month, but if the 5 next are as good as this one then i'm the luckiest girl on earth.
Omeida school is unbeliveable, you feel at home, you feel relax and safe. You know that they will take care of everything, they give you good tips and exellent chinese education. Studying here it's being at the same time at school and in holiday, how times in your life can you say these kind of thing ? You are exiting about going to school, you want to have a lots of homework and the longer your inside the school the better you feel.
Even if your chinese is not great it doesn't matter, there is always a way to understand people, these people are so hospitable it's impossible not to be friends with them !!!
So my advice is : if you want to have the time your life come here in yanshuo come to Omeida =-

To force english speaker stop talking in english during class !!! Chinese only

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Chen Lu! Thank you very much for your review, but most importantly thank YOU for being part of Omeida family. We are so delighted to have your warm smile and energy here with us. We know that many adventures await us in the near future too! More mountains to climb, more foods to cook and etc. All the best!

Sven
Germany, Lower Saxony

Very Professional School

All teachers are very professional, most of my lessons are mostly more than a discussion or dialogue then like school lessons. All the teachers always are well prepared, they speak english fluently but they always tried first use chinese for teaching if possible. In the morning we used a book to learn grammar an vocabularies. The afternoon lessons we used for training listening and free speaking.

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Thanks for sharing your experience and recommending Omeida! All the best for continuing your studies and you are always welcome back.

Colin
Vancouver, Canada
University of Victoria

Five Months

Having lived in China for two years previously, without ever formally learning the language, I started at Omeida with a very basic understanding of pronunciation, tones and everyday phrases. I had spent much time preparing for my time here by learning the pronunciation and basic meaning of the most common Chinese characters, which I found extremely helpful, as that is one of the most time-consuming parts of study.

I found that the first six weeks of study especially were an absolute explosion of new information that pieced together all the material I had studied by myself. My classroom instruction loosely followed the Boya Chinese textbooks, which I believe are excellent resources for my level.

Once I had learned several dozen grammatical structures and knew how to use them, my lessons became more focused on new vocabulary, new characters, and frequently used idioms that increased my understanding of casual speech. I also at this point needed to constantly review and practice writing all the new grammatical structures so I wouldn't forget them.

Since the number of students at Omeida varies greatly between summer and winter, and since students progress at different rates, there is a lot of continued rearrangement of classes to maximize each student's progress. As a result, in my time here I had five different teachers, and all were excellent. From July to December I never had more than two classmates, and in my final month I had one-on-one lessons exclusively (something you would normally pay extra for). The teachers put a lot of effort into tailoring their teaching style so that the challenge was appropriate for the student, and that we focused on the areas we had the most difficulty in.

The teachers all followed a general structure for the three classes each day. Typically, the first class was entirely conversation, while the second and third would focus on new vocabulary, grammatical structures and forming spoken sentences out of these. Homework was given daily, often a writing assignment that focused on writing a short composition, or a series of made-up sentences, that included the vocabulary and grammar of that day. The homework was checked each day and the teachers were very helpful in not only correcting our mistakes, but also suggesting alternative, more "Chinese", ways of saying our clumsily English-style sentences that, although grammatically correct, would sound a little peculiar to a native speaker (much like the "Chinglish" of the locals that often makes sense but occasionally leads to hilarious misunderstandings -- one time one of the staff referred to the Senior's University as the "Senile University" and we all had a good laugh about it).

In my time here, almost everyone I've met has been highly positive about the quality of the teachers and their Chinese progress. There were one or two students who expected to have learned more, but I'll point out that these particular students also expected that simply attending class, without any review or self-study, would be enough for success. Disclaimer: if you don't put the work in outside of class and you don't practice your speaking in your spare time, you're not going to get very far!

A quick note on the accommodations -- I found the dormitories to be very clean and comfortable. If you're not okay with using a squat toilet, worry not: they supply you with a plastic seat that fits over it, just for us Westerners. (That being said, you really should try to get used to doing it the Chinese way -- it really strengthens your quads over time.)

Anyway, bottom line: I worked pretty hard for five months and spent a lot of class time asking clarification questions, and I went from only being able to utter a few caveman-level phrases to conversing relatively proficiently with native speakers, in Chinese, for an hour or more. I got exactly what I'd hoped for, and if I choose to study Mandarin again I will certainly return to Omeida to do so.

- Colin, 28, Canada

Many people who take three classes a day have a slight preference for morning or afternoon classes, but they're almost always pretty flexible to make it easier on the admin for various scheduling reasons. On a couple occasions there have been students who NEEDED to take classes at only one of those times, due to their own scheduling conflicts.

There was an instance where a student who was unable to make the afternoon classes found himself being scheduled in the afternoon when he arrived, because it was the only time a class at his level was available. However, this was all sorted out very quickly and professionally, and he ended up taking the morning classes that suited his availability. He didn't initially make it clear that he wouldn't be able to take classes otherwise, but I feel that that's a question admin should make a point of asking before plopping someone in a schedule they might not be able to commit to.

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Thanks for your review Colin, it was so great to have you at Omeida for 5 months! The progress you made in your Chinese language skills is an achievement we are all proud of. We miss you and hope to see you back here again soon!

Matt
Singapore
Johns Hopkins University

Great Program (for long stays)

I recently spent two weeks at Omeida Academy in Yangshuo. Overall it was a great experience however, being a complete beginner I wouldn't recommend people engaging in the program for any less than a month unless you plan on moving to China or are about to start course work in University or elsewhere. Two weeks was really not enough time to substantially immerse yourself as a beginner. I imagine if you are experienced two weeks would be enough to help sharpen your skills or focus on a specific weakness, but without applying the skills everyday I didn't feel like it was enough time to set up a solid foundation.

Additionally, given I was only there for two weeks, it was a bit disjointed that I had two different teachers each week. Both teachers were excellent and I would rate them individually very highly, however given the different styles I had to change the way I was learning and it made it a bit more difficult. Again if I was there for longer it would not have been a problem, but for sure I short time I would have preferred some continuity.

Overall I would definitely return and recommend it to friends though.

For short term people, it would be helpful to have a single teacher for the entirety of the program. Also a more formal induction on Mondays when starting would be appreciated. It was a bit haphazard when I came.

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

You are right, two weeks is too short to develop a solid foundation to study Mandarin, it just gives you a taste of the language and culture. Alternatively, you can learn useful phrases for travel in this time. Taking intensive classes would allow you to learn more in a shorter period however we still recommend students study for a month or more in order to make the most progress in their Chinese studies. We hope you return in the future for a longer period of time!

Dr.
Yangshuo, China

best chinese you can imagine

Actually, I couldn`t have imagined before how nice it is. Teaching is very much based on what you know and need and it`s very personal. Classes are small, indeed I had two weeks of face-to-face training and one week we were two students with one teacher. That makes it quite intensive.The teachers are highly competent, and remarkably friendly and helpful. Classrooms are very clean and bright and suitable. I liked the tea room for breaks, but we also played badminton or even volleyball on the street between the lessons (and afterwards). The cantine provides nice simple Chinese food and you sit together with Chinese students from the English school, so you can always try and speak a little of what you`ve learnt. One of the great advantages of the place are the learning partnerships between English and Chinese students. We met every afternoon to practice especially pronounciation. The Chinese are very friendly, open, and very patient with Chinese beginners. The staff of the school are extremely nice and helpful with whatever problem you may have. I liked the organized trips by bike or hiking, which also offer another chance to use your Chinese, and the surrounding is beautiful. Social atmosphere is very good and I felt welcome and integrated from the very first day. I wish I could have stayed much longer!

I think it is already quite perfect because of the excellent practising opportunities and the very highly individualized teaching. The combination with the friendly supporting social atmosphere is hard to top.

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

Thanks for your comprehensive review! It's great to have you here and we are humbled by your kind words. We hope to have you study at Omeida again in the future.

Jessica
Bay of Plenty, New Zealand

My short but sweet time at Omeida/Yangshuo

If you want to learn Chinese, explore China, meet some great people, try new foods and enjoy the social side of life then Omeida is definitely the place for you.
I had some great teachers at Omeida who were effective, patient and humorous. Lessons often consisted of reading, writing and a lot of discussion. I believe my lessons were tailored to my learning style and speed which made my short week at Omeida very effective. Some lessons involved walking around outside with my teacher where I was able to practice saying my directions in Chinese. This became very useful in Taxi and scooter rides. We also walked to markets were I was able to practice food names and purchase different fruits.
My two language partners also helped me with pronunciation and enjoyed telling me about Chinese history and myths.
As a student who was studying at Omeida at a beginner level, a struggle was using Chinese websites to book flights. However, this was not a problem as there was always someone to help me. Overall, everyone was very helpful and supportive whether it was with homework, organising flights, adapting to China, anything.
During my ten days in Yangshuo, I conquered TV tower three times, sped in and around the county many times by bike, was challenged mentally and physically during two rock climbing sessions, sung my heart out at KTV, taught my Chinese friend some swimming techniques, enjoyed several very humorous nights in the town, and all of this was done with my new friends, both Chinese and foreign. Additionally, every morning I would open my curtains to see the beautiful peaks scattered throughout Yangshuo. I always enjoyed going to markets where I bought cheap, delicious and often interesting food and ate them while watching the local skills and talent. Adding to these great experiences, I was very happy to be surrounded by a group of like-minded people, all wanting to learn, make new friends and have a great time.
This trip was recommended to me by the International Marketing Manager, Sarah, who is also from New Zealand (go the Kiwis!) She told me that Yangshuo would be a great introduction to China and she was absolutely right. I highly recommend Omeida and Yangshuo.

I do however have one regret... That I didn't stay longer.

Nothing.

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

We are so glad you chose to come to study with us in Yangshuo before starting your university exchange in Beijing! You managed to pack a lot into just one week. We hope to see you here again before your return to New Zealand.

Bernarda
Vietnam

Omeida rocks

Very impressed with the efficiency of Omeida's staff from the moment they started helping me with the Chinese visa back home. Excellent teachers, small groups, lots of social activities. This combined with the beautiful countryside around Yangshuo and its world class rock climbing made of th seven weeks I spent her an unforgettable experience.

Put air conditioned in the cafeteria!!!

Response from Omeida Chinese Academy

We are so glad you chose to study with us and look forward to your potential return. Enjoy your travels around Asia!

Omeida Chinese Academy provides quality Chinese language tuition to students from all over the world. We are located in the beautiful town of Yangshuo, China where you can experience the Chinese culture and spend your free time exploring the rivers and mountains. At Omeida we