Adventure Teaching: You Should Probably Do This...

Adventure Teaching: You Should Probably Do This...

We provide our teachers with an honest, upfront, “no-bull” perspective, and we work tirelessly to prepare each teacher to live and work abroad for a year. We are aware of and interested in each teacher’s unique needs and desires because were all teachers once, too! Everyone on the AT team has lived and taught in Korea, and we use our industry experience to help you navigate the ever-changing Korean job market.

We are committed to finding a work environment that is well suited for you, and we’re committed to helping you navigate the cultural intricacies using our expertise and multi-cultured team. It can seem overwhelming to pursue the application process and get your foot in the door, but rest assured, our selection process is straightforward, and we will be right beside you every step of the way!

Visit our website to submit an application or request more information. Korean schools hire year round, so NOW is always the perfect time to apply!

Asia » South Korea
Asia » China » Shanghai
Asia » China » Beijing
Asia » China
1 Year+
Salary / Benefits
Typical contracts for 1st year teachers start from $2000/month. Visit our website for details https://www.adventureteaching.com/.
Salary: 2.1 - 2.7 Million KRW (dependent upon experience)

BENEFITS:
- 10 days vacation
- Paid airfare
- Healthcare
- Pension plan
- Paid apartment

They work with you to help you find job assistance, but it is important to keep an open mind since they're a third party!

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Juanita

Highly recommend AT!

Adventure Teaching really reached out and helped me with every step of the process.

They sent me an email the minute they received my application (took 1 day) and called on time for the scheduled interview. I applied to 3-4 different recruiters to get a variety of job opportunities, and told every recruiter that I wanted to work in/near Seoul. AT was the only one that was able to send job opportunities to me within the first week or two, and made sure it would be in/near Seoul. Another thing I really appreciated was that they were willing to work with me when other recruiters wouldn't due to being Asian - even though I was born and raised in North America. Supposedly some academies are picky about only hiring people with a "western" face.

Robyn was really on the ball with replying to all my emails within 24 hours, even the smallest questions. Occasionally I would call the office instead and they were always quick to answer the phone as well.

When the constant emails drop off for a little, she told me it would happen ahead of time so I wouldn't have to worry.

I was able to secure a job, fly to Korea, and start working within 3 months of applying to Adventure Teaching.

I highly recommend working with Adventure Teaching!

It might be helpful to post videos on the website to show future participants what a day in the life of an EFL teacher looks like.

Heather

Got Placed in Just the Right Spot

Adventure Teaching was a supportive, thorough recruiting team that helped me through the many many steps of moving to Korea to teach. They listened to my needs, looked for schools in the location I wanted, and even helped me with communication between myself and the new school regarding my flight and trip from the airport. They were always available to answer any questions, and had a plethora of tips and advice that I could use!

Jack
London / Seoul
University of Warwick

No complaints whatsoever

I signed up with and spoke to a number of different recruiters, but Adventure Teaching was by far the best.

I was able to have a proper conversation with the team and they answered all of my queries, plus they gave me some good advice on how to proceed. I was quickly given an interview as well as some notes for said interview. After I received my job offer, the communication was regular and friendly so I knew exactly what to do and when without any drama or stress.

After reading of some horror stories that left people unaware of flight dates until the very last minute, it was a relief to have such a painless experience not only in getting a job but also getting TO that job. I would definitely recommend Adventure Teaching to anybody else looking for a TEFL job.

Grant
Topeka, Kansas

Awesome company to work with, but don't use the Arrival Store

My experience with Adventure Teaching was almost nothing but positive. I contacted them in February of 2016, and from the very beginning they were prompt, professional, and seemed genuinely interested in me. I really appreciated how informed they kept me the entire time. I always knew exactly what documents I needed to get and when I needed to get them. Once I had all my documents in, they almost immediately sent me an email about interviewing with a school.

I interviewed with Avalon English, a hagwon mainly located throughout the greater Seoul area. I got a very good impression from the company. Their HR head is a really great guy. I passed the first round of interviews and was told I needed to submit a short mock teaching video. Adventure Teaching sent me all the information on what I should include in my video as well as tons of tips and example videos. I finished my video a few days later and was offered a contract with Avalon which I accepted. I arrived in Korea on May 15'th of 2016 and have been loving it here. It's such an awesome country, and my job is fantastic. I plan on staying here for a very long time, and am very grateful to Adventure Teaching for helping me start off my adventure overseas.

The only reason I did not score them a 10/10 is they work with and recommend a company called the Arrival Store. I had zero experience living abroad before this year so I didn't really know what is a good deal and what is a bit of a ripoff. The Arrival Store is very overpriced. I am still very glad I used Adventure Teaching, but if I were to do it over I would not have gotten products from the Arrival Store.

The Arrival Store is definitely a ripoff. Their prices are very high, and they make it seem like it is very difficult/inconvenient to get a cell phone service set up in Korea. I met with a KT provider here who offers the same cell phone plan as the Arrival Store for about 30,000 won cheaper per month. Switching to the KT service was very quick and easy. I love Adventure Teaching but do not recommend the Arrival Store.

Dustin
Toronto

Help at every step

I worked with Adventure Teaching to get placed at an academy in Korea. Robyn was my main point of contact for most of the process and she was incredibly helpful, patient and organized. The visa process can be especially complicated, but Robyn and her team made it simple. Adventure Teaching employs a very organized and clear process to follow when going through the visa application process. From start to finish (and even after), she was communicative and kind, which made working with Adventure Teaching a fantastic experience! I highly recommend working with her and her team if you're interested in working as an English Teacher in Korea.

Korean
Seattle
Western Washington University

AT literally forgot about me

I started my ESL career with AT, following the advice of my friends who went into a similar field.

First off, the requirements are quite clear, exactly what is needed, what needs to be notarized, etc. The agent wanted updates every week, but when I asked questions with the hope of more details I never got back more than a sentence. The agents in Korea appeared a lot more professional and helpful than the overseas agents, writing with more details and useful information. Once I got an offer everything with the Korea office went smoothly.

As for the placement, AT had little information about the school, other than it was 'one of their favorites'. The contract was very standard, and at the same time vague in some aspects. The situation upon arrival wound up being socially toxic to both myself and the coworker previously placed by AT. The school also didn't seem to have any idea what was actually happening in the school.

I received a very standard email 2 months after arrival, and beyond that nothing except junk mail from the arrival store. There isn't any additional support from AT upon arrival in Korea.

A potential replacement teacher was told by AT that they would interview with me over Skype at my 7 month mark. AT gave my personal skype without permission and didn't even inform me that I was going to talk to anyone, let alone interview.

Several teachers turned down the offer upon learning about the actual situation in the school. AT wrote to my coworkers and asked about what the school was like, and claiming that I was wrong. The coworkers confirmed what I had told the potential teachers. AT completely forgotten that they had put me into the school, and seemed to have lost my email (but still had my skype, and couldn't send me a message any other way). To this day I haven't received an email from AT since the 2 month mark in the contract that I had signed.

I finished my year, and moved on. From my experience I feel AT is very lacking in terms of knowledge about the schools that they place teachers in, and about providing support to teachers that they place overseas.

It is an adventure to go overseas. If you get a good placement with AT, more power to you. I couldn't, and in the end I was just another number to them apparently. I'd recommend looking at other recruiters.

Response from Adventure Teaching

Hi Korean Expat,

We have never been ones to shy away from negative feedback so thank you for sharing. I agree that others reading through this website should be informed about all the differing experiences our teachers have. Measured to the other reviews on the site, it sounds like you had a uniquely difficult experience with AT, and I apologize for that.

Since we started in 2007, we have always tried to be as transparent as possible with our incoming teachers which is why we always try set you up with a teacher currently teaching at the school to get the latest information on the school. I'm glad to hear that since things were quite negative, you were able to inform potential teachers and they were able to stay clear of the school and take other jobs through AT. Apologies that you felt violated by having a teacher contact you. Our email addresses always come from the school, and not our own database when putting our teachers in touch with current teachers.

I hope you were able to enjoy your time abroad despite not feeling like your placement met your expectations.

I'd welcome more information about this school and how we can improve our services to you. Feel free to email me directly or reply to this thread as well so others can read. I hope you were able to reply to our internal feedback survey sent to you 1 month after arriving which we review weekly as a team and take action on how teachers recommend we improve.

Safe travels!

Reuben
CEO, Adventure Teaching

Aaron
Gumi, South Korea
Western Washington University

Adventure Teaching: A Solid Recruiter.

In my experience, I found Adventure Teaching was a good choice. I only utilized AT in my job search, and found Kelly Hogan to be a very helpful placement coordinator. I've heard good things about working with the other PC's as well.

I was placed in a public school a little bit outside of Daegu, and it has been an overall good experience. Kelly was helpful with the interview process and getting my documents together. I decided not to take the first job offer, went with the second job I was offered, and I feel I made the right decision. Kelly was supportive of my decision and helpful in finding a better fit!

It is important to do your own research in finding positions in Korea, even with a reputable recruiter there are no guarantees that any given position is going to be good or bad. With hagwons, be sure to talk to the foreign teachers and do some research. In public schools, talking to the former teacher usually isn't possible, but with PS's this is typically OK. Overall, I found Adventure Teaching to be reliable and fair in their recruiting process.

Be more open about how Touch for Teaching and Adventure Teaching are affiliated. I didn't realize how they worked together until after I was in Korea!

Alex
Canada
Queen's University

Caring, Thoughtful, and Informative for Beginners

I applied and went through this process on kind of a whim and a gut feeling, and the next thing I knew I was on a plane to Korea.

Adventure Teaching made this easy. They walk you through everything from the beginning so you know how the application process works and the deadlines and such. It might be a bit too drawn out, but it's very clear with little confusion. They have excellent information about the country and your new personal and social life there - the info itself is personal and delivered by knowledgeable and friendly staff that I felt very comfortable calling at any time. Plus they were always very quick with responding to emails and would answer ANY questions you had about living in this foreign country, no matter how stupid I thought I sounded.

By far the best things about this company was their personable staff, injecting initial confidence and information in a quick, friendly (and user friendly) way, and smoothing out the application process for you.

Their fault to me was that they were a bit pushy for me to sign a contract, saying it was the best offer I was going to get, and their tone switched a bit. I felt like they should have been more understanding considering that this was a big decision for me; however, I recognize that they probably had a strict deadline and for them I was already hooked anyways.

Everything went exactly as planned once I arrived in the country, just like they said it would. I just followed their emailed instructions about where to go from the airport and it was really easy.

I met the greatest people in Korea. I can't begin to describe the people, the food, the hiking, and the experiences there. I miss it so. It is so easy for an open minded foreigner to live there and be involved. The key for me was meeting others in an expat community. I joined a hockey league and got lucky meeting people on bar crawls and in the street. Your social life and confidence will be the best it's ever been. Here's a tip: say YES to EVERYTHING in your first month. It will set the tone for your whole year and you will build great relationships. It's draining, new, and so damn exciting, I'm excited for you!!!

One more fault was that once I was there, communication from Adventure Teaching pretty much stopped, save for a two month check in. I understand that some people get lonely easily while on this adventure, and so I feel like AT could give better recommendations on foreigner friendly clubs, areas, events and so-on. I'm sure that if I would have emailed and asked them, they could have given me some recommendations, but I didn't need to because I met so many people in the first month.

As I see it, their job is to find you a job and prepare you for Korea, it's up to you to do your own research about the various contracts and schools that will be offered to you, while including their (perhaps hasty) opinions. They excel in getting you prepared for your new life there, and for making the lengthy and confusing application process as easy for you (a beginner) as possible. They could be more helpful once you're in the country (but I never needed it so...) and they could give you better information about the schools you're placed in, as well as giving you a few contact options once you land - preferably your head foreign teacher - just in case anything goes awry. Most bad experiences I've heard from are where someone's co-workers or bosses are terrible, and that's hard to gauge until you've been there a few weeks.

Vanessa
Cheongju, South Korea
Arizona State University

Quality Recruiting, Especially for Beginners

Adventure Teaching is a great resource for new teachers looking at South Korea. They have all relevant informatiin you might ask for or not even know to ask for in a convenient, concise and organized system. The recruiters and Korean liasons are on the ball when it comes to finishing paperwork and keeping in contact.

The drawback for me, as an experienced SK teacher returning, was the overload of already known info and the pretty vague job search results. I was, admitedly, picky customer, but my resume was shown to several schools that weren't even in my desired province.

On the whole though, comparatively impressive recruiting company with friendly and effcient people. I eventually found the most amazing school and love working here!

A little more personal touch and honed search results. Other than that, I think it's perfect.

Catherine
Incheon, Korea
Worcester Polytechnic Institute

You Really Should Probably Do This

Adventure Teaching was responsible for helping me begin a new career. I had just finished college and like many recent graduates I was having a tough time finding a job. Thankfully I did some internet searching and found Adventure Teaching. Their application process was easy and while the process between initially applying and flying over is as naturally long as you'd expect (roughly 5 months or so), AT was there to help me every step of the way and they helped me be as best prepared as I could be for my first full time job, helping me with everything from getting an online TEFL certificate to getting packed and arranging and preparing for my flight.

I am so very happy working at the school they had me interview with. IT was the first school I was interviewed by and obviously I got the job. I am literally working my dream job right now and I don't want it to ever end! I love my day-to-day life, seeing the happy children's bright faces in the morning to helping the elementary school students in the afternoons. I love everyone at my workplace and I have made some friends. My manager, director, and vice director are very pleasant people. If I don't feel like working for myself I can just look at them and feel motivated to try my hardest to put my best teaching efforts for the sake of my school and of course my students. And thanks to AT, it's possible, and I can experience my dream of living and travelling in Asia.

The only thing I would like to see updated is some miscellaneous information on the site. Korea (at least the urban areas where I live) is more modernized then some of the information on the website might have you expect. I think that maybe the information on what to pack and social etiquette was written by people who may or may not have recently been to Korea within the last couple years or so, so I packed some things which I didn't need. But it's very minor and in some ways helps mentally prepare you for some of the culture shock.

David
University of Victoria

Sample size of one, but I wouldn't change a thing

Well, this is my first and only experience with a recruiter, but they are the reason I could decide to get a job in South Korea in December and be working full time in March.

Adventure Teaching were the first ones to reply to my email of interest. I was impressed that THEY wanted to interview me to see if I was a good fit for them as a company, instead of just plastering my resume everywhere. They sent me a variety of job positions to interview for and got the ball rolling on the one that wanted to hire me so fast that the visa process barely had enough time to get their side of things done. I made it within the estimated time required and was on a plane the same week. They kept me abreast of all the comings and goings so I had enough time to visit my family and friends before departure.

I am 7 months in to my first year of work in Seoul and the only things I would change come from me now having a better understanding of what I want from a teaching position than I did, staring at school websites on the other side of the world looking for a change in direction of my career. I plan to be staying on after my contract is done and I will definitely hope to use them again.

Honestly I don't know. I haven't heard many stories of comparable experiences from others and I've only used one recruiter once, so... Yeah, I wouldn't change anything.

Ellie
Ulsan, Korea

Couldn't be Happier

I consider myself very lucky to have found Adventure Teaching. I had tried my hand at a few recruiters, and none of them seem interested in finding me a good job; one that suited my needs and was going to be a good fit for me.

My AT recruiter and I spent a lot of time on the phone discussing pros and cons, sharing experiences, and chatting. The recruiters have taught abroad and been through all of the searching, waiting, and mild anxiety before. They know what to expect, and they made it a point to prepare and gear me up for all that was ahead of me.

At the beginning of my search, I had my heart set on a specific area in Korea. There were some issues and confusion with another recruitment agency and I ended up rejecting a job offer I got. I was feeling a little discouraged. I remember the exact moment when I read a very enthusiastic email from my recruiter, Mindy. She said she had found a great school that was very interested in my application. Even though the school wasn't in my "desired" area, she made everything about it seem like it was my dream job. She was so happy that this school wanted to interview me, she got me psyched about it too. AT has a great relationship with the schools they recruit for. They trust them, and I trusted Mindy.

I have been working for that school upwards of three months now, and I am happy with my decision everyday. I often hear horror stories of other teachers at hagwons (private schools) with less than desirable work environments. Fellow teachers out here always ask who I recruited with. I'll be honest, I always boast about how awesome my recruiters were.

Adventure Teaching is a great company with a great foundation and wonderful philosophy. Anytime anyone asks, I always recommend looking into Adventure Teaching.

As far as my experience goes, I can't think of any specific improvements.

Andrew
United Kingdom
University of the West of Scotland

Adventure Teaching: A Western Agency But Really No Better Than The Rest

The one thing to understand before setting out on your 'adventure' is that you will be very much under the authority of your employer from the minute you get to your destination without necessary protection from your contract. It's important not to get too eluded by the adventure aspect Adventure Teaching pushes. Whilst pushing contracts at you they'll claim you'll have the time to travel, yet with only 8 days vacation which can't be taken consecutively how can this be possible? Sadly the answer is that it's not. Especially when your Hagwon director may chose not to inform you in advance - making it impossible to secure reasonable tickets anywhere. The photos of people traveling on Adventure Teaching website: don't assume this will be you. It's important to remember the agency is looking to place as many teachers as possible because that's what makes them money. They really don't care about your experience. Don't let them smooth talk you into signing just anything. If the contract is vague then what can you expect? Always get the information from the horses mouth. If the school director doesn't speak English then get the agency to provide amendments to the contract. AT will steer you away from this claiming you are jeopardizing the job but in reality they just want you to sign without a fuss. I have seen it from both sides. The school wants to sign someone and the agency wants the money - why would either party stall this? It's up to you to check, and check again confirming exactly the hours you will work, times you will work and vacation days available along with their allocation and your accommodation etc. You truly have to look out for number one. Don't be diluted into believing that the agency will! That's my number one piece of advice.

Adventure Teaching have one of the best looking websites and the initial application process is clearly detailed although needlessly long. Whilst they make big claims there is nothing tangible they provide over any other agency. The one thing I could say for a random Seoul based agency for example is that at least it does exactly what it says on the tin without superfluous claims and ridiculous promises of community and ongoing support. I believe that Adventure Teaching is dishonest by claiming it (A) it cares about the placement and will support teachers and (B) the claim of support during your job: It's quickly apparent that there will be no real support once you sign a lengthy disclaimer holding them responsibly for absolutely nothing. Fair enough enforcing any kind of law internationally is difficult but AT provide 0 effectual guarantee of ANYTHING. Consider this.

I took part in a year long contract which I completed. Once we had signed the contract things changed quickly. There was no more personal support. Finally arriving in Korea the basic promised driver who would meet us at the airport was simply not there. There wasn't even an excuse as to why not. We were told merely to get on a bus. This is not how to muster a good relationship. After working at the Hagwon my collegues and I faced problems with our employer as he simply disregarded the contract we had signed with AT. AT's response would always be patronizing standard paragraphs about the importance of diplomacy abroad. Many of us had lived and worked in other counties before including myself and had been operating to unparalleled diplomacy and flexibility only finally contesting our employer's demands where they were actually affecting our jobs! Such as not allowing us to eat, not providing any kind of break during a 9 hour day etc. Throughout all of this it was clear that Adventure Teaching only cared about their relationship with our employer who would continue to pay them $1000 US per placement. We were basically told to 'suck it up' which is shocking considering these were problems affecting all the staff.

I am not bitter about my experience in Korea. I learnt a lot and there were some great times. I write this review as merely a factual evaluation of the experience so that future applicants may be equipped with realistic expectations and an air of caution which I hope should see the right choice made when working with any agency. Working abroad is hard at times but has great rewards. Agencies like Adventure Teaching whilst facilitating your job are unfortunately very damaging at the same time. Offering a false sense of security through marketing without any real care about placements leaves many teachers upset, disappointed and unhappy. Maybe some get lucky with them, but of the 11 other teachers I know who used them, they all have had similar issues. Sadly AT is never accountable so just moves on again and continues to make money without a conscience. This is why I believe reviews are very important.

Response from Adventure Teaching

Hi Andrew,

When my wife and I taught in a hagwon in Korea from 2005-2007, we were able to visit 13 countries in 2 years with our very limited vacation time - we had the standard 10 days off per year. I’m sorry to hear that your 8 days vacation plus all national holidays didn’t allot you enough time to travel.

You raise some great points though, and your review highlights the importance for every teacher to do their research. If you felt like you had no choice but to sign the contract presented to you, I sincerely apologize. We try to always ensure that our teachers make the final decision, and that before doing so, they Skype or email with someone currently teaching at the school. It is standard procedure for us to recommend our teachers take this action BEFORE signing any contracts, for one specific reason: the current teacher will have a better sense for what the “comings and goings” are like at the school. We know that. And that’s why we think you should talk to one before making a decision on a job offer.

The points you bring up about our company and service have been shared with the team as we continue to evaluate ways in which we can offer an even better experience. As for the other 11 teachers from AT you spoke with, we hope they also reach out and let us know how we can better our services. We send a survey to every teacher who has arrived in Korea through Adventure Teaching to get feedback on our services on how we can improve. So far in 2014, our feedback scores from our teachers is 93% positive (with 84% of teachers completing the survey) so experiences like yours are rare, but we know that they do happen. We hope you accept our apology!

We are sorry that you feel AT does not support our teachers during their experience in Korea. We have a number of processes in place to provide in-country support and even host teacher events where many of our past teachers have grown their network and made new friends. Our top priority is stepping in to assist a teacher as soon as we discover that they are having issues with their job or school and we can only apologize if this did not happen for you.

Above all, we are glad to hear that you had some great times in Korea. That is all we could hope for, and that’s why we do what we do.

Ghibli

Adventure Teaching

I was encouraged to go to Korea with Adventure Teaching after meeting some of their employees at a job fair at my university. I heard good things from other university contacts who had gone to Korea with them, so I was confident it would work out really well. I started the application process in January and was hoping to go to Korea in September of that year. I didn't get any word from them until MAY. I really wanted to get started on collecting things for my visa, but I couldn't do anything because I didn't have any confirmation from them. The person they assigned to help me along the way was extremely short in her replies and rarely answered the questions I asked. Her replies came across like she spent a couple of seconds on her emails - they sometimes had grammar and spelling errors and would be a couple of words or a sentence at most, when I had asked specific questions. Worst of all, she led me astray with wrong information about requirements for students like me who are from America but went to a university in Canada. She told me that I only needed a background check and for my degree to my apostilled in America, but it turns out that I also needed that information from Canada too. I couldn't do that by mail because it would have delayed the process by months and it was already SEPTEMBER when I found this information out, and that was when I was planning on arriving in Korea! So I had to spend all the money to make a trip back to Canada and stay there for a week so I could apply for a criminal record check and get all my documents apostilled. The ironic thing is that I had been living in Canada all summer after my graduation and had only just returned home when I finally found the news that I had to do all the extra Canada stuff. Finally, AT told me that there was a hiring freeze and that I wouldn't be able to go to Korea until possibly the new year, which was bogus because there were tonnnns of Korea jobs being posted by other recruiting companies every day. In consolation, they suggested I go to Georgia?! Thanks, but no thanks. I was so frustrated by everything that I decided to drop AT and use another recruiting company, which was lovely and got me a job within a week. I was off to Korea in October, no thanks to AT. :(

Response from Adventure Teaching

Hi Ghibli,

We are sorry that you had a poor experience with us. Your comments have been shared with the entire AT team and we have been putting systems in place to ensure that experiences like the one you had do not happen again. Our feedback scores from our teachers is 93% positive so far in 2014 (with 84% of teachers completing the survey) so experiences like yours are rare, but they do happen and we hope you accept our apology!

Our goal is to give people life changing opportunities abroad, so we are grateful that another agency was able find you placement. We hope that you had a memorable and life changing experience!

Thanks again for your submitting your review. As a team we are always grateful for reviews, whether positive or negative, as they help us improve our services.

fran
Seattle
University of Washington- Seattle

Poor Communication

Adventure Teaching was recommended to me by an acquaintance. To begin, AT was extremely helpful and supportive. The interview process went smoothly and I was placed fairly quickly in a Hagwon in Korea. However, as I got closure to my departure date, communication started lacking. It seemed that once they had placed me, they didn't care anymore. I had dozens of questions but felt like I was causing a great inconvenience when I asked them. I also didn't get answers back from them or an acknowledgment that they received my emails for several days.

Additionally, there were things that were glossed over. My school's contract, for example. I requested that after I signed it my boss should sign it as well and send me a scanned copy. I was told that most of the time schools did not sign the contract. I thought that was completely absurd and felt that I had to battle with AT to get them to get the signature. In the end, getting that signature worked in my favor as unfortunately, my boss did not adhere to the contract on many occasions and I was able to point out that he had signed a legal document and could not do that.

Furthermore, I didn't find that they were completely honest with me. After booking my flight I was told that someone would pick me up from the airport. However, a few days before I left, I received instructions as to how to bus from the airport to my small city. Normally, this would not have bothered me but the fact that they told me and sent me a document that explicitly said someone would pick me up from the airport, did.

AT also never once followed up with me. The only thing I ever received from them was an obvious template email that they sent to everyone. Or emails about the Arrival Store. I was told that I wouldn't be able to buy plug adaptors anywhere but a tech supermarket in Seoul and that the Arrival Store was necessary. I was in a fairly small town in Korea and the grocery store definitely sold adaptors....for much cheaper. I really felt that AT was taking advantage of new travelers. Luckily, I had lived in a foreign country before and trusted my gut.

One thing that did impress me about AT, however, were the very straight forward and clear instructions they gave when it came to acquiring the documents necessary for the visa.

Response from Adventure Teaching

Hi Fran,

Thanks you for your submitting a review of Adventure Teaching. We are always grateful for reviews and feedback whether positive or negative. Feedback like yours helps us improve our services so that we can avoid delivering an experience like yours.

Please accept our apologies regarding the level of communication you received. We also apologize for the miscommunication regarding airport pickup arrangements. That should not have happened.

We also take it to heart that you feel like we did not follow up with you. As you point out, we do follow up with our teachers with a series of carefully crafted emails designed to offer key information at selected intervals during their year abroad. There is always a balance between not enough emails and too many emails, and we constantly strive to maintain that balance. We routinely get great feedback from these emails but your comments have been noted and we will continue to work on our communication strategy.

We hope you enjoy your time in Korea and that it is filled with fantastic new experiences.

Fran
Busan, Korea

So far so good!

This was the best decision that I have made in my life! Korea is amazing, I love my job and my apartment is right on the beach. I am so glad that AT were able to place me in Busan and I would recommend it to anyone.

I made the decision to go to Korea in August 2013 and AT were able to get me employed and in Korea by November, which was perfect. They were really honest and upfront about the issues that I might face, both at work and with my living arrangements, so I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it is to live and work here.

AT have been really helpful and supportive from the moment I contacted them. I would definitely use their services again in the future!

Not sure..

JenDi
Indiana University- Bloomington

Poor communication

I applied through their program because of the great reviews on here. Their information packets were very detailed and informative. However, my placement coordinator had very poor communication with me and always seemed rushed. She never returned my calls and wanted all of our documents with them before we could interview with schools. They also said that there was a hiring freeze so I never heard from them about possible interviews. One of my friends also went through them and only had 3 interviews in 2 months with schools that were not what she was looking for. I decided to look for schools and interview on my own. I was able to secure a teaching job without them in less than 2 weeks.
Too bad they were not more helpful, their website is great and looks promising. Work on your professionalism and follow up with your candidates.

Response from Adventure Teaching

Hi JenDi,

Thanks for commenting on your experience. It always helps knowing the negative experiences people have so that we can improve our serves to our teachers. Our apologies that you did not feel communicated with and that we lacked professionalism.

Our goal is to prepare teachers as best we can before they depart for Korea, and then when they arrive we are available for support for the entire time they teach in Korea. Unfortunately, because in the end the recruiter is just a middle man, we are unable to guarantee jobs or interviews. What we can guarantee though is that if you do secure a job through us, you'll be among the most prepared teachers arriving to South Korea, and when you come against difficulties with your job, you'll be thankful that Adventure Teaching is available for support.

We have also talked as a team how we can better communicate the current job market to our teachers so that they understand why they are not getting interviews.

We hope you enjoy your experience in Korea, and we'll continue to expand our available positions so that more teachers can experience life as an Adventure Teaching teacher.

Reuben Zuidhof

Tashia
Seoul, Korea

I'm a Fan of Adventure Teaching

I found the Adventure Teaching staff to be very insightful and willing to take the time to have long conversations with you, giving full attention to your questions. I never felt as though I was being brushed aside by Adventure Teaching.

AT has always been quick to follow up to my emails, and I found the staff to be very easy to reach by phone. The info packets they sent to help me get through the visa process were re assuring and easy to navigate, so I was able to get through a very long visa process very smoothly.

When AT was unable to find a placement for me in South Korea as quickly as I had hoped, they were able to connect me with another teaching opportunity to help me practice teaching while I was waiting to e placed in South Korea. I was very happy that Adventure Teaching went out of their way to help me find yet another valuable teaching experience before I arrived in Korea.

My suggestion: Read the info packs sent to you by Adventure Teaching. They are really useful and enjoyable to read.

I would have like this program to give me more information about what it is like to work in a Korean hagwan. The hagwan can be exhausting at times and I feel that AT could have been more upfront about a general hagwan experience. But for the most part, AT is always straight forward.

Anonymous

Let People In

Working in my hagwan was undoubtedly overwhelming in the first so months. The school provided an orientation and gave us multiple materials to help prepare, however the orientation happened so quickly that all of my learning began when I actually started teaching. I felt the hagwan could have provided a much more thorough orientation, but the actual resources they provided were helpful. Other foreign English teachers in my school were incredibly supportive and we immediately began planning trips around Seoul together. These immediate social connections were key in helping me work through the initial culture shock. In the beginning, I think it's ok to find other fluent English speakers to explore Korea with, even if your goal is to learn more about the Korean language. Initially, a solid friend group with whom you can easily communicate is immensely helpful. Even if you feel extremely tired after a long day of teaching, it's worth making time to spend time with another person or a crowd to help keep you grounded. A co worker a really admire told me...."Learning how to adjust in Korea means that sometimes you have to let people in." She was speaking about confiding in others.

Working in my hagwan has often felt exhausting because of the number of hours spent teaching and the amount of administrative tasks the teachers are required to finish, but the students are always happy to see their teachers, and watching them grow in their learning and confidence has helped me feel as though working in the hagwan has truly been an accomplishment.

Amanda
Florida
University of Central Florida

My thoughts

I am so extremely grateful for Adventure Teaching. The process, although long and tedious, was very smooth and easy. The employees are friendly, and answered every question I had. My recruiter, Kelly, went above and beyond to help me with whatever she could. I'm glad I went through an agency, because now, if I have any concerns here, I have people to go to.

My experience in Korea have been pretty good, so far. I have only been here for a little over a month, but I can already tell that this was the right decision for me.

The school isn't exactly how I had imagined it to be, however. They are very unorganized, and leave things until the last minute. I feel very stressed with the amount of work, and the little planning time that they give us. My co-teachers, however, have been a life-saver. If it weren't for them, I would of probably left during the first week. I love the students and the teaching part so much though, that I am pushing through all the extra hard parts with the administration.

Outside of school has been amazing. There are always things to do, and places to go. I recently went on an Adventure Korea trip to Gyeongju for the Cherry Blossom Festival and to hike up MT Namsan. It was fantastic!

Overall, I am having a wonderful experience in South Korea. I can't wait to see what the rest of the year brings :)

The schools DO pay for your flights beforehand. I asked my recruiter multiple times if they would, and she insisted that they wouldn't. I was the only teacher that had to wait for them to pay me back. It took over a month to get that back, and that is money that I could of used during my first month without a paycheck. Please be aware of this situation!

Beeta
Seoul South Korea
University of Central Florida

Great Recruiters

I was very satisfied after using Adventure Teaching. Kelly my recruiter was so incredibly helpful, in getting me over to Korea. She gave me great advice, and she listed to what I wanted. While I was very flexible in my preferences, Kelly helped place me in a good school in a great part of South Korea!

I wish there is more contact with the recruiters after the teachers arrive in Korea. That is the only request/complaint that I have. I have received a few emails, but nothing too personal. I do understand however the recruiters are busy, so that might interfere.

Rachael
I'm from Nashville, TN
Liberty University

Is Korea really for you? Read my experience and see.

My first full day in Korea (a Sunday) was awful, I just wanted to go back home. I walked around my city where I was going to stay and was completely overwhelmed by the Korean billboards and neon lights everywhere. I went back to my hotel and hid until work Monday. Thankfully I brought dried fruit and granola bars so I had that to eat.

Since my first day, every day has gotten much better. I have met friends by getting plugged in to a small group at a church. Some people chose social groups but I really like my church small group. They have really helped me with my transition. Every weekend they take me someplace new. I have been here 2 months now and I am considering another year.

If you are not a morning person this is the job for you. I usually wake up at 10 am go for a jog, come home by 11:30, get ready for work, then I'm out the door by 12:40 to be at work by 1pm. I work an 8 hour day with at least 3-4 hours of planning and 4-5 hours of teaching, depending on the day. I get home by 9:30 pm. Sometimes I wake up earlier to run errands but this is pretty much my day.

One SUPER IMPORTANT thing, if you think the whole world runs like the country you are from, and you are not a flexible person, then don't bother signing up. You will end up having a miserable time and make everyone else miserable. I have a coworker who makes everyone's life miserable at work because he is not flexible, and thinks Korean work should cater to his country's work ethic. You will work hard in Korea, even when you are sick. Sometimes you will be asked to work extra (this rarely happens but it happens). All the negative reviews you read online especially about Avalon are more than likely from people like this.

I don't feel like I was prepared enough which is why my first day was so scary. It would be nice to get information about the town I will be staying in before I arrive. Also, I think it would be good to Skype with a teacher from my school before my arrival to set up a time to meet. Apparently the head teacher was suppose to pick me up on Sunday and show me around.

retraks
Dongtan, South Korea
McGill University

Korea part one and two

I have taught in Sanbon for three months and got to know amazing people and adorable kids. I was really glad AT had placed me there.
After three months, the school had me let go and I had to find a new job if I wanted to remain in Korea. I kept in touch with AT the whole time and in 2 weeks they found me a new place with similar working conditions in a very nice place.

I highly value the work of all the AT advisors, who are both really friendly and good at what they are doing.

Keep up the good work, we need people like you!

I am a very positive person, but when things turn bad, I worry easily. I would have loved to keep in touch daily when things were going bad instead of every other day - since every day was a long and stressful wait for news. :)

Brad
Cheongju Si, South Korea
Bloomsburg University

Can't imagine using any other service

The fact that all the staff has lived and taught in South Korea and have gone through the same experiences and emotions makes it such a personable program. Hearing your recruiter say, " This was really helpful when I was living there..." really ensured me that I was in good hands. After my very first phone conversation with Kelly I immediately knew that I had made the right decision. She was there every single step of the way, encouraging me on and getting me pumped to leave as I worked my way through the visa process. Having experienced nothing but headaches going through a visa process in another country, I must say it doesn't get any easier than having AT's checklist with each step written out for you in full detail. Kelly even went out of her way looking for job opportunities to help me get ahead of schedule and had job leads and interviews lined up and waiting immediately after I had returned home from a vacation. I cannot say enough nice things about my experience working with my recruiter and truly would recommend this life changing opportunity to anyone. Life here is good, as I am within a 5 min. walk to school and have everything I could possibly need within walking distance. I am even still receiving emails from both AT and The Arrival Store checking in to see how things are going so far. A very personable and enjoyable experience the entire way. There is hope for companies who deliver what they say!

I would suggest setting up some sort of communication between the existing foreign teachers at the school to help with the adjustment period when first starting.

Sarah
Korea
Wilfrid Laurier University

So far so good!

So far Korea has been amazing! The city is beautiful and the kids are adorable! The people at adventure teaching were super helpful and made this transition a lot easier then I had thought. From the first email to the last, through numerous phone calls, stories and pep talks Kelly has been awesome at helping me and encouraging me to take on this experience. The arrival store was a great plus and it was nice to have stuff here when we arrived. Korea has been challenging, mostly just the language, but for the most part the people are extremely nice and when all else fails, just smile. I'm thankful for this opportunity and would recommend adventure teaching to all my friends!

Have more adventure teaching staff located in Korea so they can help you throughout the first few weeks. The teachers are school sometimes help, but you can feel like a bit of a burden.

Paul
Cheongju, South Korea
University of Windsor

Researched yet Unknown; You Are Not ALONE

Leaving home for most is an experience that is filled with mixed emotions. You are excited to take on new adventures while you are entering a world you have researched, asked questions about and done whatever you could to make yourself ready but you still have so many questions. If you are thinking about taking on Korea and the journeys’ it has to offer, you are in extremely capable hands with Adventure Teaching (AT).
I came to Korea with my girlfriend and in late February. We got here with one week left in the school year and the biggest thing that I suffered from was jet leg. Culture shock I think is something that I was expecting to be swarmed with, but it was switching from the Eastern time zone to fourteen hours ahead here in Korea.
Let me tell you a little bit about our day. We have been here for seven weeks, but teaching for six. It has taken us about a month to six weeks to get into a good routine. That is normal. The one thing you need to know coming here, you are not going to be able to walk into your job and be set into a perfect routine, nor are you expected to be. We work at a Hagwon (which is a private school) and our days start at 9 am. The students start arriving at 9:30 and classes start at 9:50. We have 5 periods throughout the Kindy (kindergarten) day teaching things such as reading, writing, math, science, art and PE (gym). We have lunch provided which is nice, because one, it cuts down on our expenses and two, it helps immerse yourself into the culture. Our Kindy classes finish at 2:30 as we see our students off, our Elementary students start to arrive.
Our Elementary classes which go until 6 pm. These students come in from other schools to do extra schooling focused entirely in English. The abilities of these students vary. You can have very high English speaking students to very raw English aptitude. With these classes you could be teaching anything from reading, writing, spelling, speech, to science.
One thing that we learned better when we got here was that Korean ages differ from what they call the international age. In Korea, the day you are born you are instantaneously one. Then on New Years you gain one more year. So, for example, if you are born on December 31st you are one, then the following day is January 1st, you then become two. So when you are teaching your students you are seven, in all reality, they are 5 internationally.
Now that we have been here for a good amount of time, and we have gotten into our groove at school we have really started to take on certain aspects of Korea with some traveling. We are going to Seoul next weekend for the Cheery Blossom Festival! This happens in April, or when the weather allows the tree’s to bud.
Another great touristic aspect is that Korea is a great jumping point for traveling. You can very easily fly to Japan, China or wherever you want or need to go. We have our summer vacation in late July early August and we have planned a 10 day trip to Japan. How groovy is that!
When it came to choosing and planning for this adventure, we were treated so fairly by Adventure Teaching. They were patient and understanding of anything and everything we threw at them. Their response was typically we understand each situation is different and we just want you to have the best experience in a country that we have grown to love, and we want you to love it as much as we did. As I said our situation was difficult. My girlfriend has an education degree so there was a high demand for her in international schools. She had three offers but we wanted to be in the same school. And that’s what we stuck to. When the time came, they found us the job we were looking for. We got hired in Cheongju, which is an hour and half bus ride from Seoul.
Our placement coordinator made herself available to us at all times. She understood our need to ask questions, and she was able to comfort certain discomforts with personal experiences and experiences she had heard from colleagues and friends who had also embarked on Korean teaching experiences. She was honest and did not sugar coat things. So we were as best prepared as we could be. But do your research, however do be naïve and think you are going to be fully prepared, just be as best prepared as you can be. This is a new culture, a new land, a new language and a new adventure that can be the best thing that ever happened to you, just do me one favour (and this the Canadian spelling) have an open mind. If you do you will be opening yourself up to a beautiful culture, once in a life time landscapes and experiences many only dream of, but ones you can make your reality!

The only thing I would change would be something I could have done differently. There was a short period when I felt left out. I applying with my girlfirend and she had offers and interviews and there were moments when I felt in the dark. However communication is a two way street, and as soon as I brought this up, it was quickly rectified and from then on, the lines of communication were flawless between me, my girlfriend and our placement coordinator. If I could turn back time, I would have said something sooner, because as soon as I made it known I never felt that way again with AT! Thank you for everything Kelly! You are a beauty!

Lisa
West Texas A&M University

No Regrets

My life in South Korea has been amazing so far! There are so many things to love, and I still have so much to try and see. Sometimes it feels like there aren't enough days or hours in a week.
Teaching children isn't always easy, but it is worth it. I have quickly come to care about all of my students Plus, life outside of school isn't too shabby either. Seoul is a beautiful city with something exciting happening on almost every street.
At this point, I could write five pages about all of the things I love, but I think everyone who is curious about this experience should try it and find out for themselves.
With that being said, Adventure Teaching is the way to go. They have been so helpful in guiding me through this process, and I am so happy that they were able to get me here.
My recruiter was there for me every step of the way-every silly question and minor panic attack. I feel like it is the people have made this big transition an easy and fun one for me.
For those interested-I think it is all a matter of coming to Korea with the right attitude.You have to keep an open mind and be prepared to accept the differences between your culture and the Korean culture. Just a little understanding goes a long way.
I jumped in, and I have no regrets.

There were times where I had wished I knew a little bit more about my living situation ahead of time, but I think that information is pretty much too hard to get whoever you are. Plus, my living conditions are great!

Mitzie
South Korea, Eumseong
University of Pretoria

Not just another number

Adventure Teaching have been nothing but Help to me... I was one of those people who just had to a question about everything I could think of... and never once, they turned me away. They made me feel like I was important and I can say with certainty, that I skipped the culture-shock a little bit, since they prepared me so well.
I would not be able to recommend anyone better. I've recently signed up for year 2, and I'm having the time of my life.

David
Canton, NY - Home Seoul, South Korea - Current
State University of New York- Potsdam

Do it - Plain and simple.

AT prepared me perfectly for this position here in Korea. There was no sugar coating of facts, no fiction to be told, just the truth. The work schedule here is extremely fair and my coworkers are always willing to help in anything. While there might be a few things I don't agree with on a managerial point of view, I understand its all part of being in a new country with different ideals than my own.If I could do it all over again I would choose AT once more, all of my paperwork and mental stability is all thanks to them for preparing me as a foreigner in a completely different country, thanks AT!

I'd consider trying to update the many info packs they have every year, though they were only a year or two old so almost all of the information was still quite relevant.

Josephine
Anyang

AT is Awesome

Living in Anyang is great because it is VERY close to Seoul. Maybe about less than a half hour subway ride. Every weekend I make it out to Seoul to see something new every weekend. Anyang itself is also a great place to explore because it has it's own community feel, and TONS of foreigners to make it feel kind of like home.

My weekdays are school from 1-9 pm, so I get to sleep late and wake up late, which is awesome! I currently teach at Avalon, so every subject has a set curriculum which is a huge load off of your shoulders.

The main difficulty I have been faced with is merely getting students involved and on track. Many of them are really interested in learning and some are either too hyper or not motivated. Since I am new to teaching, finding a balance is the most challenging, but rewarding at the end of the day.

We’re passionate about people living abroad! We genuinely believe it is one of the best things a person can do. Living abroad adds invaluable elements to our personal stories; it changes us and enlarges our world view; it teaches us in ways that nothing else