Adventure Teaching: You Should Probably Do This...

We provide our teachers with an honest, upfront, “no-bull” perspective, and we work tirelessly to prepare each teacher to live and work abroad for a year. We are aware of and interested in each teacher’s unique needs and desires because were all teachers once, too! Everyone on the AT team has lived and taught in Korea, and we use our industry experience to help you navigate the ever-changing Korean job market.

We are committed to finding a work environment that is well suited for you, and we’re committed to helping you navigate the cultural intricacies using our expertise and multi-cultured team. It can seem overwhelming to pursue the application process and get your foot in the door, but rest assured, our selection process is straightforward, and we will be right beside you every step of the way!

Visit our website to submit an application or request more information. Korean schools hire year round, so NOW is always the perfect time to apply!

Thanks for providing such great insight Elizabeth! Nate, we highly recommend taking a TEFL course as we find it helps with building confindence in the classroom and gives you a better idea of teaching English. Here are a couple of online courses we'd recommend https://adventureteaching.teflsource.com/
They work with you to help you find job assistance, but it is important to keep an open mind since they're a third party!

• Benefits 8.5
  • Facilities 8.3
Elizabeth

Plant-Based Perspective

My husband is in the Air Force and was stationed in South Korea. As soon as we found out it was unaccompanied, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I'm a certified teacher in the states, and this program was so helpful in finding me a placement as soon as possible. Not only did they help me find a school to teach in as fast as paper work can go, but they also were able to place me only 2 hours from my husbands Air Force base.

Expanding their teaching sites to areas closer to military bases. Contacting schools about applications (interested teachers) instead of waiting to hear back from the schools.
Juanita

Highly recommend AT!

Adventure Teaching really reached out and helped me with every step of the process.

They sent me an email the minute they received my application (took 1 day) and called on time for the scheduled interview. I applied to 3-4 different recruiters to get a variety of job opportunities, and told every recruiter that I wanted to work in/near Seoul. AT was the only one that was able to send job opportunities to me within the first week or two, and made sure it would be in/near Seoul. Another thing I really appreciated was that they were willing to work with me when other recruiters wouldn't due to being Asian - even though I was born and raised in North America. Supposedly some academies are picky about only hiring people with a "western" face.

Robyn was really on the ball with replying to all my emails within 24 hours, even the smallest questions. Occasionally I would call the office instead and they were always quick to answer the phone as well.

When the constant emails drop off for a little, she told me it would happen ahead of time so I wouldn't have to worry.

I was able to secure a job, fly to Korea, and start working within 3 months of applying to Adventure Teaching.

I highly recommend working with Adventure Teaching!

It might be helpful to post videos on the website to show future participants what a day in the life of an EFL teacher looks like.
Response from Adventure Teaching

Hello Juanita,

Thank you for your review, we are thrilled to hear that you are enjoying your teaching position Seoul. We really enjoyed working with you!

Thank you for your recommendation. We are currently working on creating more interactive ways to connect with teachers. We really like your recommendaton of creating a video to provide a day in the life experience of an ESL Teacher.

We hope you really enjoy oyour time in Korea!

Adventure Teaching Team

Heather

Got Placed in Just the Right Spot

Adventure Teaching was a supportive, thorough recruiting team that helped me through the many many steps of moving to Korea to teach. They listened to my needs, looked for schools in the location I wanted, and even helped me with communication between myself and the new school regarding my flight and trip from the airport. They were always available to answer any questions, and had a plethora of tips and advice that I could use!

Response from Adventure Teaching

Hello Heather,

We're so glad to hear you're enjoying your time in Korea and that we were able to provide you with the perfect job. This is exactly what we hope to accomplish at AT, so we're encouraged that you had the perfect experience.

Enjoy the rest of your time teaching in Korea!

Adventure Teaching Team

Jack

No complaints whatsoever

I signed up with and spoke to a number of different recruiters, but Adventure Teaching was by far the best.

I was able to have a proper conversation with the team and they answered all of my queries, plus they gave me some good advice on how to proceed. I was quickly given an interview as well as some notes for said interview. After I received my job offer, the communication was regular and friendly so I knew exactly what to do and when without any drama or stress.

After reading of some horror stories that left people unaware of flight dates until the very last minute, it was a relief to have such a painless experience not only in getting a job but also getting TO that job. I would definitely recommend Adventure Teaching to anybody else looking for a TEFL job.

Grant

Awesome company to work with, but don't use the Arrival Store

My experience with Adventure Teaching was almost nothing but positive. I contacted them in February of 2016, and from the very beginning they were prompt, professional, and seemed genuinely interested in me. I really appreciated how informed they kept me the entire time. I always knew exactly what documents I needed to get and when I needed to get them. Once I had all my documents in, they almost immediately sent me an email about interviewing with a school.

I interviewed with Avalon English, a hagwon mainly located throughout the greater Seoul area. I got a very good impression from the company. Their HR head is a really great guy. I passed the first round of interviews and was told I needed to submit a short mock teaching video. Adventure Teaching sent me all the information on what I should include in my video as well as tons of tips and example videos. I finished my video a few days later and was offered a contract with Avalon which I accepted. I arrived in Korea on May 15'th of 2016 and have been loving it here. It's such an awesome country, and my job is fantastic. I plan on staying here for a very long time, and am very grateful to Adventure Teaching for helping me start off my adventure overseas.

The only reason I did not score them a 10/10 is they work with and recommend a company called the Arrival Store. I had zero experience living abroad before this year so I didn't really know what is a good deal and what is a bit of a ripoff. The Arrival Store is very overpriced. I am still very glad I used Adventure Teaching, but if I were to do it over I would not have gotten products from the Arrival Store.

The Arrival Store is definitely a ripoff. Their prices are very high, and they make it seem like it is very difficult/inconvenient to get a cell phone service set up in Korea. I met with a KT provider here who offers the same cell phone plan as the Arrival Store for about 30,000 won cheaper per month. Switching to the KT service was very quick and easy. I love Adventure Teaching but do not recommend the Arrival Store.
Dustin

Help at every step

I worked with Adventure Teaching to get placed at an academy in Korea. Robyn was my main point of contact for most of the process and she was incredibly helpful, patient and organized. The visa process can be especially complicated, but Robyn and her team made it simple. Adventure Teaching employs a very organized and clear process to follow when going through the visa application process. From start to finish (and even after), she was communicative and kind, which made working with Adventure Teaching a fantastic experience! I highly recommend working with her and her team if you're interested in working as an English Teacher in Korea.

Korean

AT literally forgot about me

I started my ESL career with AT, following the advice of my friends who went into a similar field.

First off, the requirements are quite clear, exactly what is needed, what needs to be notarized, etc. The agent wanted updates every week, but when I asked questions with the hope of more details I never got back more than a sentence. The agents in Korea appeared a lot more professional and helpful than the overseas agents, writing with more details and useful information. Once I got an offer everything with the Korea office went smoothly.

As for the placement, AT had little information about the school, other than it was 'one of their favorites'. The contract was very standard, and at the same time vague in some aspects. The situation upon arrival wound up being socially toxic to both myself and the coworker previously placed by AT. The school also didn't seem to have any idea what was actually happening in the school.

I received a very standard email 2 months after arrival, and beyond that nothing except junk mail from the arrival store. There isn't any additional support from AT upon arrival in Korea.

A potential replacement teacher was told by AT that they would interview with me over Skype at my 7 month mark. AT gave my personal skype without permission and didn't even inform me that I was going to talk to anyone, let alone interview.

Several teachers turned down the offer upon learning about the actual situation in the school. AT wrote to my coworkers and asked about what the school was like, and claiming that I was wrong. The coworkers confirmed what I had told the potential teachers. AT completely forgotten that they had put me into the school, and seemed to have lost my email (but still had my skype, and couldn't send me a message any other way). To this day I haven't received an email from AT since the 2 month mark in the contract that I had signed.

I finished my year, and moved on. From my experience I feel AT is very lacking in terms of knowledge about the schools that they place teachers in, and about providing support to teachers that they place overseas.

It is an adventure to go overseas. If you get a good placement with AT, more power to you. I couldn't, and in the end I was just another number to them apparently. I'd recommend looking at other recruiters.

Response from Adventure Teaching

Hi Korean Expat,

We have never been ones to shy away from negative feedback so thank you for sharing. I agree that others reading through this website should be informed about all the differing experiences our teachers have. Measured to the other reviews on the site, it sounds like you had a uniquely difficult experience with AT, and I apologize for that.

Since we started in 2007, we have always tried to be as transparent as possible with our incoming teachers which is why we always try set you up with a teacher currently teaching at the school to get the latest information on the school. I'm glad to hear that since things were quite negative, you were able to inform potential teachers and they were able to stay clear of the school and take other jobs through AT. Apologies that you felt violated by having a teacher contact you. Our email addresses always come from the school, and not our own database when putting our teachers in touch with current teachers.

I hope you were able to enjoy your time abroad despite not feeling like your placement met your expectations.

I'd welcome more information about this school and how we can improve our services to you. Feel free to email me directly or reply to this thread as well so others can read. I hope you were able to reply to our internal feedback survey sent to you 1 month after arriving which we review weekly as a team and take action on how teachers recommend we improve.

Safe travels!

Reuben
CEO, Adventure Teaching

Aaron

Adventure Teaching: A Solid Recruiter.

In my experience, I found Adventure Teaching was a good choice. I only utilized AT in my job search, and found Kelly Hogan to be a very helpful placement coordinator. I've heard good things about working with the other PC's as well.

I was placed in a public school a little bit outside of Daegu, and it has been an overall good experience. Kelly was helpful with the interview process and getting my documents together. I decided not to take the first job offer, went with the second job I was offered, and I feel I made the right decision. Kelly was supportive of my decision and helpful in finding a better fit!

It is important to do your own research in finding positions in Korea, even with a reputable recruiter there are no guarantees that any given position is going to be good or bad. With hagwons, be sure to talk to the foreign teachers and do some research. In public schools, talking to the former teacher usually isn't possible, but with PS's this is typically OK. Overall, I found Adventure Teaching to be reliable and fair in their recruiting process.

Be more open about how Touch for Teaching and Adventure Teaching are affiliated. I didn't realize how they worked together until after I was in Korea!
Alex

Caring, Thoughtful, and Informative for Beginners

I applied and went through this process on kind of a whim and a gut feeling, and the next thing I knew I was on a plane to Korea.

Adventure Teaching made this easy. They walk you through everything from the beginning so you know how the application process works and the deadlines and such. It might be a bit too drawn out, but it's very clear with little confusion. They have excellent information about the country and your new personal and social life there - the info itself is personal and delivered by knowledgeable and friendly staff that I felt very comfortable calling at any time. Plus they were always very quick with responding to emails and would answer ANY questions you had about living in this foreign country, no matter how stupid I thought I sounded.

By far the best things about this company was their personable staff, injecting initial confidence and information in a quick, friendly (and user friendly) way, and smoothing out the application process for you.

Their fault to me was that they were a bit pushy for me to sign a contract, saying it was the best offer I was going to get, and their tone switched a bit. I felt like they should have been more understanding considering that this was a big decision for me; however, I recognize that they probably had a strict deadline and for them I was already hooked anyways.

Everything went exactly as planned once I arrived in the country, just like they said it would. I just followed their emailed instructions about where to go from the airport and it was really easy.

I met the greatest people in Korea. I can't begin to describe the people, the food, the hiking, and the experiences there. I miss it so. It is so easy for an open minded foreigner to live there and be involved. The key for me was meeting others in an expat community. I joined a hockey league and got lucky meeting people on bar crawls and in the street. Your social life and confidence will be the best it's ever been. Here's a tip: say YES to EVERYTHING in your first month. It will set the tone for your whole year and you will build great relationships. It's draining, new, and so damn exciting, I'm excited for you!!!

One more fault was that once I was there, communication from Adventure Teaching pretty much stopped, save for a two month check in. I understand that some people get lonely easily while on this adventure, and so I feel like AT could give better recommendations on foreigner friendly clubs, areas, events and so-on. I'm sure that if I would have emailed and asked them, they could have given me some recommendations, but I didn't need to because I met so many people in the first month.

As I see it, their job is to find you a job and prepare you for Korea, it's up to you to do your own research about the various contracts and schools that will be offered to you, while including their (perhaps hasty) opinions. They excel in getting you prepared for your new life there, and for making the lengthy and confusing application process as easy for you (a beginner) as possible. They could be more helpful once you're in the country (but I never needed it so...) and they could give you better information about the schools you're placed in, as well as giving you a few contact options once you land - preferably your head foreign teacher - just in case anything goes awry. Most bad experiences I've heard from are where someone's co-workers or bosses are terrible, and that's hard to gauge until you've been there a few weeks.

Vanessa

Quality Recruiting, Especially for Beginners

Adventure Teaching is a great resource for new teachers looking at South Korea. They have all relevant informatiin you might ask for or not even know to ask for in a convenient, concise and organized system. The recruiters and Korean liasons are on the ball when it comes to finishing paperwork and keeping in contact.

The drawback for me, as an experienced SK teacher returning, was the overload of already known info and the pretty vague job search results. I was, admitedly, picky customer, but my resume was shown to several schools that weren't even in my desired province.

On the whole though, comparatively impressive recruiting company with friendly and effcient people. I eventually found the most amazing school and love working here!

A little more personal touch and honed search results. Other than that, I think it's perfect.
Catherine

You Really Should Probably Do This

Adventure Teaching was responsible for helping me begin a new career. I had just finished college and like many recent graduates I was having a tough time finding a job. Thankfully I did some internet searching and found Adventure Teaching. Their application process was easy and while the process between initially applying and flying over is as naturally long as you'd expect (roughly 5 months or so), AT was there to help me every step of the way and they helped me be as best prepared as I could be for my first full time job, helping me with everything from getting an online TEFL certificate to getting packed and arranging and preparing for my flight.

I am so very happy working at the school they had me interview with. IT was the first school I was interviewed by and obviously I got the job. I am literally working my dream job right now and I don't want it to ever end! I love my day-to-day life, seeing the happy children's bright faces in the morning to helping the elementary school students in the afternoons. I love everyone at my workplace and I have made some friends. My manager, director, and vice director are very pleasant people. If I don't feel like working for myself I can just look at them and feel motivated to try my hardest to put my best teaching efforts for the sake of my school and of course my students. And thanks to AT, it's possible, and I can experience my dream of living and travelling in Asia.

The only thing I would like to see updated is some miscellaneous information on the site. Korea (at least the urban areas where I live) is more modernized then some of the information on the website might have you expect. I think that maybe the information on what to pack and social etiquette was written by people who may or may not have recently been to Korea within the last couple years or so, so I packed some things which I didn't need. But it's very minor and in some ways helps mentally prepare you for some of the culture shock.
David

Sample size of one, but I wouldn't change a thing

Well, this is my first and only experience with a recruiter, but they are the reason I could decide to get a job in South Korea in December and be working full time in March.

Adventure Teaching were the first ones to reply to my email of interest. I was impressed that THEY wanted to interview me to see if I was a good fit for them as a company, instead of just plastering my resume everywhere. They sent me a variety of job positions to interview for and got the ball rolling on the one that wanted to hire me so fast that the visa process barely had enough time to get their side of things done. I made it within the estimated time required and was on a plane the same week. They kept me abreast of all the comings and goings so I had enough time to visit my family and friends before departure.

I am 7 months in to my first year of work in Seoul and the only things I would change come from me now having a better understanding of what I want from a teaching position than I did, staring at school websites on the other side of the world looking for a change in direction of my career. I plan to be staying on after my contract is done and I will definitely hope to use them again.

Honestly I don't know. I haven't heard many stories of comparable experiences from others and I've only used one recruiter once, so... Yeah, I wouldn't change anything.
Ellie

Couldn't be Happier

I consider myself very lucky to have found Adventure Teaching. I had tried my hand at a few recruiters, and none of them seem interested in finding me a good job; one that suited my needs and was going to be a good fit for me.

My AT recruiter and I spent a lot of time on the phone discussing pros and cons, sharing experiences, and chatting. The recruiters have taught abroad and been through all of the searching, waiting, and mild anxiety before. They know what to expect, and they made it a point to prepare and gear me up for all that was ahead of me.

At the beginning of my search, I had my heart set on a specific area in Korea. There were some issues and confusion with another recruitment agency and I ended up rejecting a job offer I got. I was feeling a little discouraged. I remember the exact moment when I read a very enthusiastic email from my recruiter, Mindy. She said she had found a great school that was very interested in my application. Even though the school wasn't in my "desired" area, she made everything about it seem like it was my dream job. She was so happy that this school wanted to interview me, she got me psyched about it too. AT has a great relationship with the schools they recruit for. They trust them, and I trusted Mindy.

I have been working for that school upwards of three months now, and I am happy with my decision everyday. I often hear horror stories of other teachers at hagwons (private schools) with less than desirable work environments. Fellow teachers out here always ask who I recruited with. I'll be honest, I always boast about how awesome my recruiters were.

Adventure Teaching is a great company with a great foundation and wonderful philosophy. Anytime anyone asks, I always recommend looking into Adventure Teaching.

As far as my experience goes, I can't think of any specific improvements.
Andrew

Adventure Teaching: A Western Agency But Really No Better Than The Rest

The one thing to understand before setting out on your 'adventure' is that you will be very much under the authority of your employer from the minute you get to your destination without necessary protection from your contract. It's important not to get too eluded by the adventure aspect Adventure Teaching pushes. Whilst pushing contracts at you they'll claim you'll have the time to travel, yet with only 8 days vacation which can't be taken consecutively how can this be possible? Sadly the answer is that it's not. Especially when your Hagwon director may chose not to inform you in advance - making it impossible to secure reasonable tickets anywhere. The photos of people traveling on Adventure Teaching website: don't assume this will be you. It's important to remember the agency is looking to place as many teachers as possible because that's what makes them money. They really don't care about your experience. Don't let them smooth talk you into signing just anything. If the contract is vague then what can you expect? Always get the information from the horses mouth. If the school director doesn't speak English then get the agency to provide amendments to the contract. AT will steer you away from this claiming you are jeopardizing the job but in reality they just want you to sign without a fuss. I have seen it from both sides. The school wants to sign someone and the agency wants the money - why would either party stall this? It's up to you to check, and check again confirming exactly the hours you will work, times you will work and vacation days available along with their allocation and your accommodation etc. You truly have to look out for number one. Don't be diluted into believing that the agency will! That's my number one piece of advice.

Adventure Teaching have one of the best looking websites and the initial application process is clearly detailed although needlessly long. Whilst they make big claims there is nothing tangible they provide over any other agency. The one thing I could say for a random Seoul based agency for example is that at least it does exactly what it says on the tin without superfluous claims and ridiculous promises of community and ongoing support. I believe that Adventure Teaching is dishonest by claiming it (A) it cares about the placement and will support teachers and (B) the claim of support during your job: It's quickly apparent that there will be no real support once you sign a lengthy disclaimer holding them responsibly for absolutely nothing. Fair enough enforcing any kind of law internationally is difficult but AT provide 0 effectual guarantee of ANYTHING. Consider this.

I took part in a year long contract which I completed. Once we had signed the contract things changed quickly. There was no more personal support. Finally arriving in Korea the basic promised driver who would meet us at the airport was simply not there. There wasn't even an excuse as to why not. We were told merely to get on a bus. This is not how to muster a good relationship. After working at the Hagwon my collegues and I faced problems with our employer as he simply disregarded the contract we had signed with AT. AT's response would always be patronizing standard paragraphs about the importance of diplomacy abroad. Many of us had lived and worked in other counties before including myself and had been operating to unparalleled diplomacy and flexibility only finally contesting our employer's demands where they were actually affecting our jobs! Such as not allowing us to eat, not providing any kind of break during a 9 hour day etc. Throughout all of this it was clear that Adventure Teaching only cared about their relationship with our employer who would continue to pay them $1000 US per placement. We were basically told to 'suck it up' which is shocking considering these were problems affecting all the staff.

I am not bitter about my experience in Korea. I learnt a lot and there were some great times. I write this review as merely a factual evaluation of the experience so that future applicants may be equipped with realistic expectations and an air of caution which I hope should see the right choice made when working with any agency. Working abroad is hard at times but has great rewards. Agencies like Adventure Teaching whilst facilitating your job are unfortunately very damaging at the same time. Offering a false sense of security through marketing without any real care about placements leaves many teachers upset, disappointed and unhappy. Maybe some get lucky with them, but of the 11 other teachers I know who used them, they all have had similar issues. Sadly AT is never accountable so just moves on again and continues to make money without a conscience. This is why I believe reviews are very important.

Response from Adventure Teaching

Hi Andrew,

When my wife and I taught in a hagwon in Korea from 2005-2007, we were able to visit 13 countries in 2 years with our very limited vacation time - we had the standard 10 days off per year. I’m sorry to hear that your 8 days vacation plus all national holidays didn’t allot you enough time to travel.

You raise some great points though, and your review highlights the importance for every teacher to do their research. If you felt like you had no choice but to sign the contract presented to you, I sincerely apologize. We try to always ensure that our teachers make the final decision, and that before doing so, they Skype or email with someone currently teaching at the school. It is standard procedure for us to recommend our teachers take this action BEFORE signing any contracts, for one specific reason: the current teacher will have a better sense for what the “comings and goings” are like at the school. We know that. And that’s why we think you should talk to one before making a decision on a job offer.

The points you bring up about our company and service have been shared with the team as we continue to evaluate ways in which we can offer an even better experience. As for the other 11 teachers from AT you spoke with, we hope they also reach out and let us know how we can better our services. We send a survey to every teacher who has arrived in Korea through Adventure Teaching to get feedback on our services on how we can improve. So far in 2014, our feedback scores from our teachers is 93% positive (with 84% of teachers completing the survey) so experiences like yours are rare, but we know that they do happen. We hope you accept our apology!

We are sorry that you feel AT does not support our teachers during their experience in Korea. We have a number of processes in place to provide in-country support and even host teacher events where many of our past teachers have grown their network and made new friends. Our top priority is stepping in to assist a teacher as soon as we discover that they are having issues with their job or school and we can only apologize if this did not happen for you.

Above all, we are glad to hear that you had some great times in Korea. That is all we could hope for, and that’s why we do what we do.

Reuben Zuidhof | CEO Adventure Teaching

Ghibli

Adventure Teaching

I was encouraged to go to Korea with Adventure Teaching after meeting some of their employees at a job fair at my university. I heard good things from other university contacts who had gone to Korea with them, so I was confident it would work out really well. I started the application process in January and was hoping to go to Korea in September of that year. I didn't get any word from them until MAY. I really wanted to get started on collecting things for my visa, but I couldn't do anything because I didn't have any confirmation from them. The person they assigned to help me along the way was extremely short in her replies and rarely answered the questions I asked. Her replies came across like she spent a couple of seconds on her emails - they sometimes had grammar and spelling errors and would be a couple of words or a sentence at most, when I had asked specific questions. Worst of all, she led me astray with wrong information about requirements for students like me who are from America but went to a university in Canada. She told me that I only needed a background check and for my degree to my apostilled in America, but it turns out that I also needed that information from Canada too. I couldn't do that by mail because it would have delayed the process by months and it was already SEPTEMBER when I found this information out, and that was when I was planning on arriving in Korea! So I had to spend all the money to make a trip back to Canada and stay there for a week so I could apply for a criminal record check and get all my documents apostilled. The ironic thing is that I had been living in Canada all summer after my graduation and had only just returned home when I finally found the news that I had to do all the extra Canada stuff. Finally, AT told me that there was a hiring freeze and that I wouldn't be able to go to Korea until possibly the new year, which was bogus because there were tonnnns of Korea jobs being posted by other recruiting companies every day. In consolation, they suggested I go to Georgia?! Thanks, but no thanks. I was so frustrated by everything that I decided to drop AT and use another recruiting company, which was lovely and got me a job within a week. I was off to Korea in October, no thanks to AT. :(

Response from Adventure Teaching

Hi Ghibli,

We are sorry that you had a poor experience with us. Your comments have been shared with the entire AT team and we have been putting systems in place to ensure that experiences like the one you had do not happen again. Our feedback scores from our teachers is 93% positive so far in 2014 (with 84% of teachers completing the survey) so experiences like yours are rare, but they do happen and we hope you accept our apology!

Our goal is to give people life changing opportunities abroad, so we are grateful that another agency was able find you placement. We hope that you had a memorable and life changing experience!

Thanks again for your submitting your review. As a team we are always grateful for reviews, whether positive or negative, as they help us improve our services.

Reuben Zuidhof | CEO Adventure Teaching

About Adventure Teaching

We’re passionate about people living abroad! We genuinely believe it is one of the best things a person can do. Living abroad adds invaluable elements to our personal stories; it changes us and enlarges our world view; it teaches us in ways that...