This program is no longer offered. View more programs from ImmerQi.
ImmerQi | Teach & Travel China Program

ImmerQi | Teach & Travel China Program

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from ImmerQi.

Work and live in China for 6 months with ImmerQi's Teach & China program. Find out why 500+ people have taught in China every year since 2005 with ImmerQi.

The program consists of Training & Orientation for the 1st month and a Teaching Internship for the last 5 months. During training, you will meet fellow participants and be given the opportunity to participate in Mandarin classes, culture activities and excursions, including the Great Wall, Olympic Stadium and the Summer Palace. When the training is complete, you will be TEFL certified and travel to your teaching placement. Expect friendly 24/7 support from ImmerQi staff every day. From airport pickup to the welcome dinner to optional travel tours, you will feel at home every day and make many friends.

When this amazing 6 months is up, you will be an internationally certified TEFL teacher with teaching experience.

As an alternative, ImmerQi offers a 6 month work-visa teaching program now!
  • Trial your new career before you commit to it long-term
  • Test-drive your knowledge and skills in a challenging, international environment
  • Enhance your CV in China, a market all multinationals have a keen interest in
  • Build your professional network in a place that is encouraging innovation and research
  • Exposure to the Chinese environment, customs and culture will help with future job searches
Asia » China
Wifi
Exclusions
Airfare
Travel Insurance

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies! As a general rule, the program accepts people between the ages of 18 and 50. This is because most schools that we work with have this requirement. However, we are always happy to consider people outside of this age range on a case by case basis, or to help them find another China option that is right for them. Hope that helps :)

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Sikha
Beijing, China

The entire experience of the Internship is life-changing and rewarding at the same time!

Making a difference in the students lives and they giving me something to laugh about everyday has been rewarding. Experiencing China on my own terms (ie. taking bus / train rides, shopping at the Markets, touring during the exit weekends, etc.) Priceless! After 9 months of Internship, I strongly believe that taking up this opportunity to teach English as a Foreign Language in China rates amongst the best decisions that I have made thus far.

Students in each Year Group Class at the School have to prepare at least 2/3 two-minute demonstrations per Semester to perform at one of or all of the English Talent Shows. The atmosphere is normally joyous as both students and Teachers part-take of this event. One of the main aims of this show is to help students learn English namely through Music, Poetry, Drama, Public Speaking, etc. The performances also help build students' confidence and competence in using English publicly.

At the Talent Shows, the teachers have to lead by example: demonstrate their 'can-do attitude' by putting up a performance, too. Before the 1st show we dedicated half an hour of our lunch break to practicing and choreographing our act for big day. At the show the Foreign Teachers (that’s the term we go by at the School) put up a stellar performance of “I wanna be like you” from the movie, Jungle Book. We were not so lucky in subsequent shows, though, the flu claimed two of our colleagues, who had solo parts in the musical. Our act fell apart and sadly, we had to cancel. Shameless to say, we were rescued by two students from Y4 & Y5 respectively who gladly filled-in the spot with solo performances! In all honesty, we would have been outclassed if pitied against them!

In general, it is often difficult to find a position that is the right fit, but this is where Immerqi come in. While it may not always be easy to place Interns as per their school requests, Immerqi could to certain extent (ie. using information from the Interviews and Application Forms) at least prioritise the Province Requests. Being lost in the maze without fellow Interns can cause an Intern grief. Breaking through the Language and Culture barrier is a mean fit. By the time one breaks down some these barriers, it is almost time to leave.

Susari
South Africa
University of the Free State

A brilliant time teaching in China

I had the best time teaching English in China for a semester and would highly recommend anyone fancying themselves a would-be teacher / adventurer / gap-year / travel enthusiast look into going with a professional agency that will be able to make this happen for them.
In TEFL you might make great friends from different backgrounds, you might even have intense amounts of fun with your new peers. This is about teaching, though, so keep that in mind. You might be working quite hard some days. I learnt to teach and find my confidence in the Chinese classroom in front of (arguably) the most wonderful four- to fourteen-year-old students. Their enthusiasm was the real highlight for me. I once had a competitive activity (read: game) go so completely off the rails that some of the students were demonstrating "swimming" on the floor while others were "diving" onto said floor. I've had students launch eraser projectiles all over the classroom in an attempted game of ruler-badminton. Another time the Halloween dress-up game (in a cultural lesson) was so fun we completely overshot our time and I was hurried to a "bonus" class for more of the same by the students' demand. That was in a public school and although I think the next door teachers were annoyed with our noise, they were probably enjoying the spectacle too.
I sometimes miss TEFLing so much and wish I wasn't sitting in an office doing my "primary" thing now. I might do another semester in future.

Provide more Chinese language training or at least more supervision over (or structure to) the two-hour lessons a week. It is essential to making the most out of the China experience.

Navita
London

Time to climb

5:30pm and it's time to leave work - a great day of teaching my minions, listening to them speak english after delivering a class is the most rewarding feeling, but the amazement doesn't end there... We are here to teach and travel right? So I run home to grab my bag and head to the train station - three other friends with me (we are practically family by now). We board the 2.5 hour bullet train from Beijing to Tai'an and come face to face with our challenge - Mount Tai (Mount Tai is known as the eastern mountain of the Five Great Mountains of China, a place of worship for approx 3000 years and measuring 5,069 ft tall) We begun our ascent at midnight, pitch black, only the stars and our torches lighting the way - 7 thousand steps up hill to go. The journey is something that I can only try to articulate - masses of stars, some shooting stars and some planets, looking ahead, a stream of lights that simulate an illuminated waterfall, looking behind, so many different people making their way up. Each step lead to a different discovery of ancient Chinese artefact, it was all so magnificent - giant marble arches named 'gateways to heaven', 'the bridge of clouds', stones with ancient chinese engraving, little base camps selling street food, water and trinkets. Around 3 and half thousand steps up there was a little man, long grey beard with a shop selling the most unique items. 6 and half hours later and we make it to the top ! 7 thousand steps done and the feeling of accomplishment is incredible. So many different spots to search, however we waited on 'Life abandoning cliff' hoards of people dotted all around waiting... Waiting for what? Of course the sun to rise ! Peeking like a little lady bird slowly rising, everyone begins to clap - the view was spectacular and the appreciation for how high up in the world you were at that very moment is unbelievable. I mentioned earlier that I went with three other friends that were practically family, may I explain? I had never met these people prior to my internship, two are from Ireland and one is from Australia, we were teaching at the same school and I can honestly say, by sharing so many experiences with them, we are truly friends for life! I feel like I didn't just gain the experience of a different culture and an alternative work ethic, I was also discovering more and more things about myself, truly understanding who I was as an individual. I had met people from all over the world! Denmark, Malta, Sweden, Germany, Ireland, Australia, South Africa, Scotland, America ! We became so close and enjoyed many, many weird and wonderful experiences together - things like hiking the great wall, eating scorpions and tarantulas, learning to make dumplings, bargaining in mandarin, translating strange words to students. Reaching out of your comfort zone, being forced to learn a new language, not being able to rely on everything that has been made convenient for us in Western World?! Sounds scary and sounds like a major risk, but it was all worth it - I wouldn't take it back for anything, and I don't think I know anyone who would :)

More advisors per placement. I feel like our guys (Dom, Duncan and Jane) had far too much on their plate to be able to provide enough support for everyone !

Cliadhna
Ireland
University College Dublin

Do not waste your time/money with ImmerQi

This company had little to no regard for your safety and your experience in China, simply put they're only interested that you make them a profit.

Firstly the organization and administration of this company was so unprofessional it's hard to believe they are still running.

They don't tell you where you are being placed until literally 2-3 days before your departure from Beijing which just really highlights the level of incompetency this company has.

The area I was placed in was actually an hour away from where they told me I was going, the town was a huge industrial factory style town with little to no outlets for social time or cultural immersion which is the exact opposite to how they try to sell this course. The town was rife with crime and very unsafe to walk around.

I later found out through the school I worked for that my actual salary was 10,000 yuan but that they were only paying me 2,500 and sending the rest to ImmerQi. ImmerQi tries to makes you believe that this money is enough to live on comfortably in China, this is a flat out lie.

I could go on and on and tell you all about my abysmal experience with this company but my advice to anyone thinking of pursuing down the route of teaching in China is to do it, but not with this company. Especially if you're a native english speaker with a university degree, people who fall into this category can make up to 20,000 yuan a month if you investigate schools and recruitment companies properly. I wish I had.

Response from ImmerQi

Hi Cliadhna, thank you for your feedback.

I’m sorry to see that you were disappointed with your experience.

I do want to apologize on the behalf of ImmerQi if you were made to feel like we did not care about your safety or about you having a good experience. Although we are a for-profit company and do have to support the ten staff that are tasked with running our teaching program (including providing 24/7 support to over 400 interns like yourself per year) our primary goal is to ensure that all interns have a positive China experience. The points you bring up about our company and service have been shared with the team as we continue to evaluate ways in which we can offer an even better experience.

So far in 2015, our feedback scores from our teachers have been 89% positive so experiences like yours are rare, but we know they do happen. Our top priority is stepping in to assist a teacher as soon as we discover that are having issues with their placement or school, so we can only apologize if this did not happen to you.

I would just like to clarify that we do endeavor to make the timing of placement announcements very clear to our participants when they are applying for the program. Announcing placements so late is a conscious decision as we wish to avoid any confusion or disappointment associated with last-minute placement changes, which can be very common when dealing with Chinese schools! I’m sorry that this made you feel as though we were disorganized; I can assure you that careful planning goes into placing over 400 interns per year in schools across China.

With regards to your allegation that your ‘salary’ was of 10,000 Yuan and that ImmerQi took a portion of this, I’m afraid that is simply inaccurate. While ImmerQi does receive a placement fee from the school (as do all agencies placing both interns and full-time teachers in schools in China), this is much less than the amount you suggest and completely unrelated to your ‘salary’. We do make it very clear to our applicants that the program provides a small living allowance, not a salary, as you are here in China on an internship. You were aware of the living allowance amount prior to your arrival in China, so I am sorry you found it difficult to budget for living expenses with this amount, despite the fact that accommodation and meals are also provided. I contacted your school, as I was afraid there had been some misunderstanding, which led them to communicate this false information to you. However, they assured me that they had not spoken to you. They mentioned that perhaps you were comparing you living allowance to a full-time teacher salary at the school.

Lastly, I completely agree that the internship is not for everyone and that some people are better suited to seeking out full-time teaching work in China. This is not something that ImmerQi tries to hide, as we mention full-time opportunities for qualified teachers both during our interview process and in the program terms and conditions you signed. We explain to all our applicants that to qualify for full-time work in China you need to be at least 24 years old, be a native English speaker, possess a university degree, and have at least two years of post-graduation work experience. This means you would not have qualified for full-time work when you joined the program. However, I am really sorry that you feel you were misled in this regard.

I hope that my response clears a few things up for you. Once again, I apologize on the behalf of the whole ImmerQi team that your experience was not what you hoped it would be. As you know, all of us working on the Teach and Travel program are former program participants ourselves. This means that we really do believe the program is a great opportunity for those wishing to discover China or those wanting to find out if teaching is for them. I’m sorry you did not feel the same way and please trust that we have taken your feedback onboard to improve the program for future participants.

Ben
Haywards Heath, UK
University of Aberdeen

Incredible Experience

I cannot recommend it highly enough!

I know that it is more expensive than other online alternatives but I would definitely recommend the ImmerQi route over an online TEFL course, if only because you get a full month in Beijing (instead of one). Hanging out with other interns for a month is a great way to meet people and meet life long friends, its also super fun! But also learning to teach from a teacher and with your friends prepares you much better for actually teaching in China, you can discuss and ask questions as soon as they occur to you instead of having to email and wait.

The staff are very helpful, really made it easy to get around and settle in and organised a bunch of great activities for us. Duncan Russell specifically was a great help to me. Mandarin helpers are also super friendly and always willing to take you here and there to assist with the language barrier.

In terms of actually teaching. I was sent to Guangzhou, where although it was a Cantonese area, everyone speaks Mandarin/English to you, so if you're going to learn Mandarin then don't worry. It was an incredible school with incredible people and incredible support.

ImmerQi staff could be less professional and more like friends to the interns.

Silje-Mari
Førde, Norway

I would do it again

Before I left for China I had never set foot in Asia, never been a teacher, and I had never spoken a word of Chinese to anyone. Despite this, I had the best time of my life in China. I have never had so much fun and met so many new and interesting people in my life.

I was placed in Changsha in the beautiful and stunning Hunan province. The food is very spicy, but it's too good to miss out on. The nature is beautiful and the Avatar mountains (Zhangjiajie) is only a 4 hour bus ride away. People don't speak English here unless they're high school students, in their 20's or just happens to know English. There are plenty of foreigners here so I had no trouble getting friends that understood English.

My school (TianHua - Shazitang) was amazing and our assistants and teachers were great, helpful and very understanding. There was no doubt that they had had interns before and knew how to act around us to make the culture shock a bit more overcoming. They were funny, and accepted that we made mistakes and had a bad class once in a while. You know, we're not all born teachers. Even though we made mistakes, we were taken very seriously by the school. From the day one, our assistants told us that we would not be treated like interns, we would be treated like real teachers. We also got a lot of cultural classes at our school; kung fu lesson, paper cutting, calligraphy etc. I loved my school and I'm so happy I was placed there.

The ImmerQi team are professional and they are very relaxed. They will be more than happy to share their experiences with China and give advice to you. All in all they're really cool and not difficult to reach out to, which is really good for the younger applicants that most of the time are kind of confused and have a lot of questions. The advisors on the program were all really helpful, but especially thanks Duncan whom I became good friends with. Even though he was not in charge of my region he always asked how we were doing in Changsha, which was also where he was placed when he was an intern. He helped a lot in finding places I could go to in Changsha and during our training period he helped the interns a lot with their homework and hand-ins.

All in all; I would recommend this program to anyone who would like to try something different, likes kids and has no trouble being a authority person for 6 months of their life. It is challenging, but that's the fun part. To be honest, I would do it again.

Like I said, I had a great time ad I had an amazing school and no problems whatsoever. I did hear stories from the other interns about a lack of communication between the school and ImmerQi. If you make sure to keep the communication with the school throughout the year and also make sure to constantly get feedback from the interns, I think that would help a lot. I also heard that it was hard for ImmerQi to fix the problems without damaging the relationship with the school?

Pauline
New Zealand
University of Otago

parent review

My son, aged nineteen, joined the Immerqi teaching program in 2015.

As parents we want to know that our young adults will be safe when travelling.

On teaching placement my son had a potentially very serious accident- while out riding his scooter at night he collided with a truck and had to go into hospital with head injuries. I was very impressed with how Immerqi dealt with this. They contacted the emergency phone number of a relative and eventually got hold of me (I had changed my phone number and forgotten to let Immerqi know), and kept me updated through phone calls and emails about my son's progress. They also appointed a person from my son's school to constantly sit with him as he had suffered concussion. The Program coordinator, Duncan, flew from Beijing to Canton where my son was placed to check up on his condition. Immerqi or the placement school also paid for my son's hospital costs for a couple of days until I was able to repay them. After the injury my son was no longer able to continue with the program and had to travel overland to Hong Kong. Again the program coordinator flew down to accompany my son to Hong Kong as he was concerned about my son's fitness for independent travel. In Hong Kong Duncan took my son for a second medical opinion to see if he was fit to fly.
My son had minor issues with his program, it was difficult to get visa information before leaving; he did not like the food- be prepared to possibly budget more for food purchases: he would have liked to have been paid more as he found his wages did not go very far.
However I think these issues are relatively minor, it is reassuring to know the Immerqi took excellent care of my son's health and safety while he was travelling away from home.

Response from ImmerQi

Hi Pauline, thank you for your lovely review and feedback. It's really great for us to hear from parents as well as participants as we understand it can be stressful knowing your child is all the way in China! I'm really sorry about your son's accident and that he had to leave China. However, I'm glad we were able to work with you to ensure the situation was handled as efficiently as possible and that he is recovering well now. Duncan has been giving us updates on how he is doing so thank you for keeping us all informed! In terms of the stipend received, this is unfortunately limited by the fact that the program is an internship and that there are visa restrictions associated with this. However we have worked hard to ensure it is higher than other internship providers in China because we do want our participants to get as much help as possible with their living expenses. With regards to your other feedback, we are always working to improve the program and will definitely try to work on these points. We really appreciate the input! Good luck to your son on all his future adventures!

Lily
Hong Kong

Mixed opinions but overall great lasting memories were made

When I had my initial interview in England with ImmerQi, formerly known as IES Global at the time, they asked where I would like to be located; North, Central or South. I clearly stated that I wouldn't like to be in the North -- so preferably in the South.

I arrived in Beijing and it was great to meet everyone who was also doing the internship. We did many activities and got to know each other. The day came to find out where we would be placed. The happy, excited mood soon changed when I saw that I was going to be placed in inner Mongolia with one of girl. The furthest possible north I could go when i clearly asked for the South.

Everyone went off to their placements and I was left in Beijing for around a week battling with ImmerQi to change my placement location. It took a lot of talking every day and me really putting my foot down in order for them to change my placement. It was stressful but once I was down in the South with friends and had started teaching it was a good experience. Many lasting memories were made.

Response from ImmerQi

Hi Lily, thank you so much for taking the time to review our program. I’m glad that you left China with some good memories and it was lovely getting back in touch with you recently. I’m really sorry you had trouble with your initial placement. We ask all applicants to state placement preferences and really do try to accommodate these as best we can. However, there is always an imbalance in placement preferences (often in favor of the South), which means we cannot accommodate all demands, something we do make all applicants aware of during their application. Since you took part in the program in early 2014, we have also reminded all of our partners to reemphasize this point with their applicants. Placement allocations are dependent on a number of factors such as school preferences, feedback from teacher training, etc., so we cannot always be as flexible as we would like to be. I’m glad in your case we were able to find you a new school to meet your requirements but I am of course sorry that you had to wait in Beijing for 1 week whilst we did so. Sometimes this requires a lot of reshuffling on our part hence the delay. I’m really glad you ultimately had a good experience down South and that you had fun teaching!

Becky
Jinjiang, China
Aberystwyth University

ImmerQi Internship

My boyfriend and I have been on the internship with ImmerQi since February and with only 3 weeks left of our teaching programme I can say with honesty and sincerity that this has been the best experience of my life.

Placed in South China in a little (by Chinese standards!) city called Jinjiang, teaching high school students, I was apprehensive at first, but we quickly got settled! The school, Jiyan High School, is a lovely environment to work in. Though the amenities and resources available are basic, the staff and students are super friendly, and I can't think of anywhere more suitable to begin on a teaching career. We received a lot of help from the Chinese English teachers to get settled in and they gave us advice on teaching when we needed it. We've been given a textbook to loosely follow, devising speaking activities for our classes and being able to deviate slightly from the textbook to incorporate things of interest to the students. This means our lessons are fun and always different! The students are the reason I love it here though - so friendly, enthusiastic and eager to learn, and also to teach us about their local area and culture! We've been involved in school performances (be prepared to look a fool on stage!!), English Corner Club, and we've been taken out for meals and shown around local areas I'd never have thought of going to by myself. Such a great opportunity to see and experience new things!

Of course there are always difficulties, though these are few and far between. The language barrier is an issue everyone will experience at some point or another, but the Chinese English teachers here are very eager to try and help in any way they can, and we get by quite easily on minimal broken Mandarin and mostly hand gestures!

As for ImmerQi itself, I can't credit them enough. Whenever we've had a problem or a question, be it with teaching, post-internship options, or just life in China in general, we have been able to email our Programme Coordinator, Duncan Russell, and he responds quickly, always with good, helpful, friendly advice. Plus he treated us to a Pizza Hut!

I would definitely recommend this programme to anybody looking for a new adventure or to get into teaching - it's been an amazing opportunity and experience for me and my boyfriend and we have immensely enjoyed it!

Though since arriving in China I cannot fault ImmerQi and the immense support that they have given us, I do feel that perhaps the pre-departure support could be improved somewhat. Before arriving in China we spent some of the time quite confused as to what we needed to do before getting on the plane to Beijing. I do realise however that they had a LOT of people and paperwork to deal with during this time, and since being in China they have been brilliant.

Response from ImmerQi

Hi Becky, thank you so much for your lovely review. We are so glad you guys had a great experience in China. You seem to have settled into teaching really well and to have embraced all the crazy China moments which is great to see! I showed Duncan your review and it really made his day. Stay in touch!

Mitzi
Wolverhampton, England

TTC August 2014 - January 2015

This has been the most incredible experience of my life so far.
I am 18 years old and had freshly completed High School in England to suddenly jumping into the deep end of the going-to-another-country-experiencing-the-diverse-culture-and-learning-to-become-a-teacher pool.
Prior to arriving in China, my preparation included buying all the standard books for beginner's Mandarin and Lonely Planet Guides - which we had been advised to research about by ImmerQi - but nothing could have prepared me for the unforgettable memories to be made and lessons that I was going to learn until actually arriving in China.

I remember being in Beijing Arrivals, greeted by our ImmerQi staff member Jayne, who was undyingly cheerful despite it being 3am, immediately rendering me at ease. It was a pick-up at the airport of around 10 other people, so once again my experience began positively, by being able to make friends and share all our knowledge and expectations of China on the coach journey to our training school.
The month spent training for our TEFL qualification was spent in the ZhongShan experimental school, in Tian Tong Yuan, a northern district of Beijing. It was brilliant. The location was brilliant, our tutors were brilliant, our group was brilliant.
Of course, there were the few little culture shocks like the squat-toilets; standard of accommodation as compared with those at home; and different kinds of food and what have you, but they were so easily overlooked because of the amazing time we had living there, learning the ropes and forming life-long friendships with people from all over the world.

You get what you put in, so, in order to become the best teacher we could be, we were given quality lessons and assignments that were all individually marked and carefully considered. We knew that we would learn would all be put to the test as we were given the opportunity to have week of teaching real classes of real students! This was incredibly fun, and we were very sufficiently prepared.

We had also gone on a few day trips out with the whole group, which was super fun. And in general, immerQi staff were very helpful in directing us to good places to explore.

Even after we had all graduated, and were separated into our respective placement schools, ImmerQi staff have always kept in touch and taken good care of us.

Thank you all so much for everything,
I will definitely come back one day!

With regards to the Inner Mongolia trip, it would have been nice to have been given detailed information of how much money we should bring for the things not included in the itinerary.

Silke
Antwerp, Belgium
Thomas More College

I've had the time of my life.

The training weeks in Beijing were the most valuable lessons you'll learn. Not only because you're being taught by competent teachers who'll give you plenty of advice but also to slowly get used to an entire new country.
The training weeks offer a safe bubble for you so that you can grow more and more accustomed to the Chinese culture without experiencing a too big of a culture shock and neither will you have to experience them on your own.
Everyone is in the same boat and is dealing with the same difficulties and that creates a sense of unity. You'll form great friendships during training as you sit through different classes from day to day and will also have time to explore the city.

Once you are at your placement you will more confident and prepared than you were upon arrival a month earlier and soon you'll find yourself in a routine of teaching and travelling during the weekends. Both of which are equally challenging but enriching.
All in all you will need a lot of patience and will experience great language barriers but all this makes it a great experience. One you’ll never ever forget.

The communication process prior to departure lacked in a few ways. This could have been due to the fact that the travelling organisation providing the program in my country served as the middle person.
So prior to departing I had to fill out several documents and get several papers in order without ever having talked to someone from the program and that was weird and it made you feel unprepared. There was a group skype chat one or two weeks prior to departure but maybe having been able to talk to someone at an earlier date might make people feel less unprepared.

Cara
West Midlands, UK

One of the best things I've done!

TTC is a great company to work with if you want to experience a completely new way of life in China. Working with this company made it actually possible for people who have no experience in teaching to actually teach in an ESTABLISHED Chinese school.
After the orientation week in Beijing, where we were given more advice for teaching and a tour day in Beijing including the Great Wall, we were sent to our schools. I was placed in Inner Mongolia and at first i was a little bit worried to say the least. It was winter and the thought of being somewhere colder than I already was was a bit taunting but then I was soon put at ease after speaking to someone who was placed there the previous semester. Yes, it was cold but I had a great group of other interns to share my experience with.
I always wondered if I would like teaching and it turns out that I do. After doing this internship I feel so much more confident standing in front of a classroom and being able to actually teach English to Chinese students. The lessons I gave were primarily to encourage the students to speak conversational English and let them generate sentences and of course, making the lessons fun and engaging for them.
I do know that a lot of people did have a hard time coming to terms with the language barrier, the different culture, the horrible feeling of home sickness and the teaching itself. TTC did make it clear that about 10% of the interns would leave China before the end of their internship. The truth is you are the customer and TTC are quick to relocate people if you are not happy with the first placement you are at. They keep you updated throughout your internship and offer you teaching advice if you need it.
My word of advice is that you should come to China with an open mind. China is a great country and you always have support with TTC during your internship. I know I'm glad that I have done this internship, so much so that I'm doing a second semester.

One thing I would change is the money allowance. I would of liked it more if we had a bigger monthly salary as we are doing the same amount of work as the full time foreign teachers in the school.

Lidya
Dubai,UAE

Great starting point

I would definitely recommend this program to anyone wanting to try teaching and travelling in China. With the program, you're guaranteed to make friends during the training program at the beginning and although some people found their schools difficult, having TTC to contact meant their problems were sorted out quickly.
After the program, I found another teaching job through a teaching agency which was a nightmare in comparison. They placed me in a school where no one spoke English, with no warning in advance, required a 3000 yuan deposit, constantly gave me wrong information and blatantly breached the contract when it came to payment.
With TTC you can be sure someone will be there to help and that your first experience in China will be positive!

Selena
Norway

I cried for three days

Never have I EVER experienced such a shady business. When it comes to profesionalism, this company scores zero.

The first month in Beijing was absolutely great, and the teaching practise and our time in UIBE was awesome! The teachers and all our classes was so much fun and I had my hopes high for the placement.

Well, ImmerQi really disapoints. Not only did they place me at a horrible place, but they had no school for us. We visited different schools and were told to lie about our experience and how long we were staying in China. I cried for three days straight worrying about how we would manageto stay for six months. We had a half functioning apartment and the most grumpy landlord in all of China. The place was dirty and only fulfilled half of the demands in our contracts. We told TTC about this and after a week of trying to convince us to stay, they helped us back to Beijing.

After that they wanted to place us in another shady place where other people had just left because the school had broken the contract.

TTC did not only lie to us about the placements standards, but they forced other participants to do the same. TTC works like this: "You don´t like it? Well, pleace sign this document that says you will never tell anyone else. We will only help you if you tell other participants about how GREAT your horrible stay was". And they top this of with a big smile!

If you resign from this program, they will make you sign contracts where you promise not to tell anyone about your experiences!!!

TTCs only concern is the MONEY. You pay A LOT to attend the program, but in the end it´s not worth it.
If you want to see China, you should visit on a tourist visa. You may have heard that you get some time off to travel in China, but that is total bullsh*t. You won´t have any time to visit anything but your own city.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TTC TO ANYONE!

Rob
Swindon, England

Life changing experience

Coming to China with TTC has been the best decision I've ever made - no exaggeration. Everything from when I first applied to where I am now (on my second semester) has been made much easier thanks to TTC. I'm settled into daily life in China and feel a part of my community. They have given me a great platform to teach on the other side of the world, which has allowed me to enjoy my time in China without fuss or problems. I couldn't recommend teaching abroad with TTC any more than I already do.

Some other teachers aren't always as serious or professional about teaching which can be frustrating.

James
beijing

They have your back, but could be a lot more open

I have found the TTC Program to be a mixed bag so far.

My in-country advisor (Jayne) has been really helpful, and any issues I have had (from serious placement concerns, to minor things such as finding out the best places of the Wall to visit when I had visitors in the country) have been resolved in a timely, professional and thorough manner.

The support the company gives is 24/7, and I feel like I can contact them about any issue. The same can be said for the support before I got here.

However, I do not feel the company is run as well as could be. For example, the issues of holidays has been confusing, with many interns apparently being told that they would have a week holiday sometime in the term, which would be the perfect time for travelling the country a little bit. However, we have two 3 day holidays instead, which makes travelling the country a little bit harder. Granted, I have at least 3 weeks before my visa runs out, after the teaching has finished, but for those who undertook the months physical training in Beijing, they will only have around 10 days to see the country after teaching before their visa's expire. The title 'teach and travel' is to some extent a misnomer. I was also told whilst in the process of booking the placement, and doing my online training, that TTC would offer excursions around parts of China during our time off that we could book our place on, and see more of the country, but it seems this is not the case.

Also, we were told during the 2 day physical training course at UIBE, that the teaching would just be conversational english, not grammar or anything like that, but I have found myself at my school to be teaching those very things too, which means I do not feel I was as prepared as I could have been.

Another issue is the money. We are paid 2000yuan a month, with TTC taking a fee for us working at the schools. It was only when they told us this, on the first day of the actual meeting in Beijing, that I was made aware that this was the case. They will say that the money is lower because we are just interns, which is fair enough, but in my school at least, most of the interns are working exactly as much, if not more than most of the full time foreign teachers, and earning perhaps a quarter of the wage, which is a bit frustrating. With careful careful budgeting you can make the money last you, but I do feel that those in Beijing could do with an extra allowance to counter the higher prices that the city brings.

On top of that, the visa situation is definitely a bit sketchy, as we were told during the orientation, in an official meeting, that our visa's were only student visas, and as such, if we were asked by the police, we are to lie and say we are on an unpaid internship, which is concerning to hear, when you are perhaps on your first big trip abroad and for a relatively long time.

On the other hand, I am really enjoying China. It is a massive culture shock, especially in terms of hygiene, but it is definitely an experience worth having. The people can initially appear to be unfriendly, but are in fact incredibly friendly and helpful on the most part. The food is amazing. There is always something to do and see here, from the small up to the magnificent. I am sure that the experience will hold me in good stead for the rest of my life.

I'm grateful to TTC for the chance to come here, but at the same time, the company could have been more upfront and honest about the issues I have highlighted and more, before we booked our placement. As the company are quick to tell you once you are here, they are for-profit and so want to entice you into coming to China through them, but at the same time more honesty about the cost of living, the payment situation etc would have been greatly appreciated.

Whilst they are easy to contact, and I completely feel that they would have my back in an emergency or serious problem here, I do feel they have been a bit disingenuous about the internship. Given the chance again, I would still come to work in China, but I would perhaps shop around a bit more to see what other options I might have.

Mia
Denmark

Visit Panda land!

My experience with TTC China has been absolutely fantastic. I spend one month in Beijing and made friends with people from all over the world, and eventhough we were spread out all over China we still stay in touch with each other.

I got placed in the wonderful city of Chengdu - home to the great pandas. The weather's warm and the people are amazing - always willing to help you. The people at the school I got placed at always make sure that I have everything I need. If I have any problems and/or questions I can always contact them and the same with the TTC staff. The days in China pass by so fast that I hardly realized that I have been here for almost 3 months now. I like it so much here that I doesn't feel homesick at all eventhough I am half way around the world from my home. I think that is due to the hospitality of the Chinese people.

My school have arranged all kinds of activities for us. A teacher took me and another intern to see a flower festival. I have also been asked to participate in a Talent-show at my school among other things.

If you want to experience some of the Chinese culture Chengdu is a great place to do so. The city is booming with site to see and temples to go to. And around the city there are breathtaking landscapes and of course there are the pandas! All in all Chengdu is a city full of life and full of people that are more than willing to help you out if you ever find yourself lost in the city. The city is a good mixture of new and old and there is something to see for everybody.

I am glad I got to come to China and Chengdu. It has given me a opportunity to see the real China and meet the Chinese people and culture.

There was some people who didn't get the placement they were hoping for. But I wouldn't change a thing!

Duncan
University of Aberdeen

My time in China

Teaching in China is an amazing experience that is always exciting, fun, and challenging. Never a dull moment. ImmerQi provides a great amount of support before and during the internship, helping to make you as good a teacher as you can be. ImmerQi is the best!

Give more information about the town and schools before people arrive there. Would help to make teachers more prepared

Greg
Chengdu, Sichuan, China
Macquarie University

Adjusting

I'm sure if you'd ask any other intern they would all have encountered the same experience.. Adjusting to your new life in China can be quite daunting at first, especially if you've just coming straight out of living with your parents, having them make dinner for you, do your laundry, make your bed, and even bring snacks out to you while you're watching television. So removing all of these luxuries from your life, and then combining it with a whole new culture that you need to adapt to is quite a challenging task, however the rewards you receive from undertaking such a task, such an adventure, is worth so much more! You gain independence, an open mind, communication skills, as well as the foundations for life long learning and cultural awareness. I wouldn't have traded this internship for anything in the world! I undertook a home stay with a Chinese family, and even though I could speak Mandarin it was very challenging trying to make sense of Sichuanese, the local dialect here in my part of China. I learnt so much from them, as they did from me. Going to school everyday gave me an insight into Chinese education, and how the youth's outlook on life is. To be completely honest I felt like quitting the program at one point, however after consulting with TTC staff I thought I'd give it another think through, and within the next two weeks everything changed for me. I had a completely different outlook on it all, it is such an amazing experience and I would have truly regretted having left the program. I would definitely recommend this program for anyone who is not only thinking about being a teacher, but looking for an adventure, to learn a new language and experience a new culture, and to create a very memorable moment in your life through TTC!

I wouldn't want to change anything!

Angela
Sydney, Australia
University of Southern Queensland

A Change In Pace

Leaving the hustle and bustle of Beijing to go to the quieter town of Foshan certainly had it's positives and negatives. The school, the accommodation and the people in Foshan definitely positives. The lack of nightlife not so much... However, it was relatively close by bus, and not too expensive by cab.
The school week consisted of Monday to Friday, maximum 20 classes a week, between 30-40 minute lessons. The teachers were supportive, most of the time, a few misunderstandings with class times especially around exam time, but for the most part were very accommodating.
I couldn't have asked for a better school contact, she made me feel very welcome, would suggest lesson ideas and would sit down with me to discuss how to teach any difficult topics that needed to be covered. I also had the pleasure in meeting her family that lived close by and a couple of her friends for university.
The children love having foreigners in the school and I would often be greeted with hugs and smiling faces.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Foshan.

Nathalie

Teaching in Guangya Kindergarten

Teaching in the Guangya Kindergarten is a great experience overall. I'm enjoying every time of it. I have classes every day and teaching 11 different classes. It could be quite difficult sometime, as each class have around 30 to 38 kids in each and I'm teaching from the baby class where the kids are around 2 years old and up to the middle class where the kids are around 6 years old. Every day is different as you never know how it's going to be with them but that makes the experience even more fun and interesting. The most challenging for me was to have to go to the second kindergarten down in Hainan where there was no Foreign Teacher on Campus, and the Chinese teacher were not really good with English. As well having to teach new kids and being able to build a good relation with the kids was difficult as it feels like you have start over. I just felt that I just finally settle down and built a great relation with the teacher and the kids in the Kindergarten in Dujiangyan and I had to start all over again in Hainan. It was a lot of pressure but I managed to enjoy my time here and adapt myself to the campus and the life down there. All the Chinese teachers have been so nice with me and they are trying to help and support me as much as possible, even though their English is not good and my chinese is still really poor, we have a great relationship.

Stephen
Australia

TTC China

I had two main periods with TTC in China, one month in Beijing for TEFL theory training, then 5 months teaching high school in a Chinese city. The month in Beijing was very enjoyable and went very quickly as things often do in China. Overall I think the experience in Beijing was a very good introduction to the China experience. The second part or the main event of the 5 month placement, was also very enjoyable. Day to day in the placement we had little contact with TTC, as contrasted to the constant contact in Beijing, as we had during the TEFL course been in personal contact with TTC staff everyday as they organised and ran all the events and activities. Within my placement, we had no such constant contact, though this is not a negative aspect as TTC was always a phone call away for problems. TTC did however personally visit us in our placement a few weeks after we arrived and I received phone calls now and then just to ask how we where and if there was any problems. Similarly we had constant email contact from the office in Beijing. Personally I never had a great deal of big problems in my placement so I did not have much for TTC to resolve for me. I did however have one incident where TTC was a great help.
I taught at 2 high schools, one of which was amazing and unbelievably enjoyable and productive and another which was very difficult to teach at since the students would not cooperate very well. I worked through a regional partner in my city, so i was contracted with an organisation representing foreign teachers in the city, rather than with the schools directly. I raised concerns with the regional partner about the school, and told them seriously that it was becoming an issue since I could not do my job there and it was beginning to affect my performance at my other school. The regional organisation where in no way dodgy and in no way treated anyone badly or exploitatively, but it is often difficult in China to differentiate between what someone is capable of doing about a problem and what they are willing to do about a problem, especially since by not solving it they stand to gain, financially or otherwise. Not much happened by telling the regional organisation so I called my regional contact person at TTC, who I also knew from Beijing, and they called the regional partner. Just this call sorted things out with a degree of authority. Without TTC, and if I was alone in China at that regional organisation, I do not know if I would have the bargaining power to negotiate to leave that school and find another one as I eventually did. In the very least it would not have been as easy as it was. It is very useful, even just for situations that might occur and that you do not forsee, to have someone you know is on your side.

Being placed with a random selection of people in a city is the only downfall. The month long TEFL theory course in Beijing is a great introduction to the China experience and you meet and get to know a great group of people. Afterwards you are sent different cities with random people from the cohort of interns, so evidently being placed with your friends is chance. Obviously it is difficult to organise teaching posts if people are able to decide who they want to be placed with, and the practicalities of that are evidently very difficult. Still it would have made a great experience even greater if I had have spent it with the great people I met in Beijing.

Jonatan
Sanxiang, China

My China experience

My school is in Zhongshan in Guangdong province. My students are from Junior grade 1 so they are 11-14 years old. I have 20 classes each week with 50-55 kids in each class. I really love the teaching, it's really fun and rewarding! The kids are mostly really nice, they are interested in me, my culture and in learning English. Not all of them of course. I like this school, there is almost never any problem with other teachers etc. They are not so good with giving information in time. The students are really a highlight, they gather around me all the time outside the classroom to talk or ask questions. My biggest problem is probably the language difficulty, I don't speak/understand Chinese and some of my students barely speak English so it's sometimes really hard to communicate. But all in all I'm really satisfied about the whole experience!

I would like to get a little more information about the schools in advance and maybe about living/travelling in China. It would be really good to get a little more money to, 2000 yuan is not enough to be able to fun things with.

petals
University College Cork

Like Home

Like home

You’d think moving to a foreign country across the world, where English is not widely spoken, the culture is different, the people are different, the food is different and even the smallest daily essentials are somewhat different, that it would take a while to get used to, or settle, or feel any way comfortable what so ever. In my case, I have never felt more comfortable, the only time I felt otherwise was getting off the plane in Beijing Airport wondering if I filled the China entry form out properly.
Part of it may have been my nature, I’ve always had itchy feet at home, and always felt unsettled and maybe it was being in a foreign country that made me comfortable. But to be honest most of it was due to the program, due to the advisors helping me and to the friends I’ve met. Everyone on the program was in the same situation that I was. Every person on this program be it intern or official, were all the nicest people I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet. Between making the lifelong friends I have now and the support and organisation of the advisors, coordinators and the company, I found myself every day, thanking the past me for making the decision to do it.
The teaching, for me, was the tougher part. I found standing up in front of 40 young children in each class very daunting. I had no confidence in my teaching skills. Every evening I worked hard to create the perfect lesson plan but it was the words of some of the coordinators that echoed in my head. “You’ll do great”, “I was in the same position as you were before, don’t worry”, “it is a very rewarding experience”, “Have confidence, you will get more used to it”, “If you need advice, we are here” and their presence during the period was a huge help. Eventually, even though I didn’t believe them at first, their words became reality. The teaching got easier, the lesson plans got easier, it became very rewarding, and even though there were bad days, where students didn’t cooperate or just didn’t listen, I still found myself loving it.
I have had no bad experience with my placement, I love this school, this place, the people, well, maybe I’d prefer less mice and cockroaches, but I don’t think anyone can help me with that. Overall, joining this program is probably the best decision I’ve ever made.
Daily life in the school is great, the routine is easy to get used to. Get up, greet students, teach some classes, ( I have 12 classes in total, 2 times a week, so i teach around 12 hours a week), nap during lunch teach classes, hang out in the office in between and finish up. Our evenings are our own, where we usually go shopping, eat sushi or hit the gym. We eat food in the canteen, I like it but some teachers don't like the food. The highlight of my teaching life is getting to know the students, they call my name in the hallway and try speak to me when they can, the only difficulty i found was a lack of curriculum, I wasn't and sometimes still not sure what I should be teaching them. It would have been a lot easier if I was given a set curriculum but I'm happy out none the less and I've had no complaints about what I'm teaching with even some compliments.

I would probably ask for more time training, although the 2 days training we did receive was enough for most people, for people like me, I would have preferred some more practical work or training before the actual teaching.

Jordan
Shenyang China

TTC Summer 2013

Day to day differs from the classes I teach! My youngest students are 6 years old and my oldest is 17 and there are a varied lot in between! I have mixed nationalities in each class and it makes for a very interesting learning experience! Difficulty would be text books and the mix of different levels in one class! However it always is an interesting class none the less! Highlights would be the children everyday, everyday their smiles just make it all better no matter what is going on!

All my questions have always been answered! The support has been amazing! I'm very grateful to the TTC team they are amazing people!!!

Robert
University of Plymouth

Summer 2009 - 2010

I'm going to keep this brief and short..

My sister has also done this programme and had recommended it to me. So it's well worth doing!

The first month was an awesome experience. Hanging out in Beijing was amazing, and at the age of 18 it blew me away. Met lots of people, had tonnes of experience that I had never experience before. Simply amazing.

Teaching placement was also pretty chilled. But they also vary widely around China, so the one that I had might not necessarily be like the one you will get. Which makes the rather exciting!

I taught 21 classes a week, 45 minutes per class. I felt like I was a capable teach by the end of it. Lots of travelling also between this time, as in China their holidays are normally a week long or so. I went to Guilin, Yunnan, Guangdong.. all over. Excellent time!

This program has had a major impact on my life. Since then I have been teaching myself chinese and have been to China several times. If it wasn't for the initial support from TTC, I don't think I would be as brave as I am today.

I am currently in China teaching English, so it's legacy lives on!

- More money for people who are in tier 1 cities
- Stricter lessons and more thorough training
- No major complaints to be honest.

James
Hohhot, Inner Mongolia

Hohhot Inner Mongolia

Little London English school in Hohhot, Inner Mongolia was a great place to undergo your teaching internship. Our average week consists of teacher training and lesson planning on Thursday and teaching on Friday nights, Saturday and Sunday with Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off. We are contracted to do 20, 40 minute lessons a week (usually 3 on Friday then 17 at the weekend). They are always looking for extra work though and the school will pay you 110RMB per hour over these contracted hours which is an easy way to earn lots of extra money. You get lots of time off which is great which gives you plenty of time to get everything sorted such as the washing etc and to go out and explore Hohhot. The school is also very generous. They will pay for various celebrations (it depends what time of year you have the internship) and they even payed for what have been a very expensive grasslands tour. I won't spoil some of the other surprises though. Food and drinks are unbelievably cheap here and I have not cooked once which is actually really practical. When I first arrived at the accommodation it was an absolute tip and looked nothing like what we were shown just before we came which was actually the full time teachers accommodation and not ours. Be prepared for this and you won't have a problem. I honestly hated the 1st few days because of this but be prepared to spend the 1st 2 days or so buying products and cleaning your apartment. There is enough time to settle in, especially compared to some of the other schools so don't think that you are wasting your time. It could be better for the next group of people as they are building more apartments right now. There are so many foreigners working at the school so being social in Hohhot is not a problem. People are always inviting you places. There are some great places to go! Clubs such as box+ and babybox are the ones to look for. Although they are unbelievably expensive, we have gone there on countless occasions and not bought a single drink because lots of people in there buy them for you. There are some great supermarkets for buying your daily needs which also have plenty of imported products to satisfy your need for western food. It is really practical to live out here and there is a really cheap and great market on the doorstep of the university that you live in. It is very dirty around the area which isn't good but you soon get used to it. Some of the food places there are great. Don't let looks deceive you! There is a curfew but it doesn't apply to foreigners so don't let that alarm you. One thing you need to be prepared for is that sometimes depending on various reasons, the school is very disorganised. They have messed up our pay a few times (which will get sorted - just make sure you take note on the days you have worked) and on our 1st few weeks at the school we had no monitor at our school so everything was all over the place but it soon settled down. Also be prepared if you are coming in winter because it gets unbelievably cold. I haven't yet experienced this cold to the full extent but even now in mid- November it is freezing. Wait til later on. Stock up on winter clothing as early as possible. It's easy enough to find!!! Overall - If you are placed in Inner Mongolia you will have the time of your life. The time off is the best part and you can travel during your internship. We have just got back from a 3 day trip in Datong which was amazing!! Also you are al in it together (lots of people get placed in Hohhot) and you always have the support of people. Inner Mongolia is a truly amazing place!

-Practical teaching before we started (we were just thrown in the deep end).
-Actual pictures of our accommodation before we came rather than the full time teachers apartments.
-The school being more organised - especially with our pay.

Maria
Beijing, China
Nottingham Trent University

Life changing challenge.

I took apart in the TTC Program in Summer 2009, right after I graduated from High School. It was quite a challenge to leave my home country for the first time by myself, to a country so far away, so different.
Therefore, I was really happy to have the support of the TTC team. The first month in Beijing (TEFL training) was amazing and I found friends for a lifetime. Now, 4 years later, I am still in touch with many of them, we met up all over the world and share our China experience. The TEFL training was very beneficial as well and I felt prepared when I left to my placement. I was placed in a "small town" (1 million people) about 4 hours by train from Beijing. In the beginning, it was a difficult transition. From buzzing Beijing into a small Chinese town with very few foreigners..However, my school was amazing, I had lovely students (I taught many different age groups) and great colleagues. I also learned a lot of Chinese and made a lot of Chinese friends. I was often invited for dinner by my colleagues/ students and got to know a lot about the Chinese culture. The work ethic was a little difficult to adapt to in the beginning but also an interesting part of the experience.

At the time, I would have loved to be placed with more foreigners in a bigger city. It was some times difficult to live in such a small place, with only one foreigner (the woman I was placed with was also much older than me). However, after all I think it was a good thing, as I learned so much more about China (and Chinese) as I would have otherwise.

YoBroJ
Canada

Stay away.

I did the Teach and Travel China internship through i-to-i TEFL and I would definitely not recommend it! It was one of the worst experiences of my life and to think I paid almost $2000 for it makes me sick to the stomach! The company, schools and entire programme is shady in its practices and many many people have quit the programme.

We arrived at our schools ill equipped, we had no cooking utensils and I had to beg my advisor for money so we could buy cooking stuff. The money they pay you is NO WAY enough to live off if you are placed somewhere expensive like Beijing. You will end up spending a lot more than you earn.

Many people quit the programme as their contracts were broken by the school, some people did not get their pay, some people had no running water or working shower for months, some people had no food (school meals) and no money to pay for food because their pay did not arrive on time. Some people has infestations of rats, bedbugs and other insects in their room. These people did not get refunds and were not relocated as promised. One person was fired for no good reason by his school. These people all lost their money as they did not receive refunds.

The company that run the programme (ImmerQi, who run Teach Travel China) are very shady and totally illegal practices, they lied to us, telling us that if we quit the programme, our visa would expire instantly and we would have to leave the country or break the law. This was a lie. They also got a company in Beijing to lie and say we were working there so they could grant us visas. This was so they did not have to tell the government we were making them money and they took most our paycheque for themselves. They charged the school almost $2000 a month for having us as teachers … we received less than 5% of this payment. They also lied to the school about our experience, telling them that we were more qualified than we actually were. They just make money out of you and then charge you for it. They also told us to lie to the authorities if anyone asked, and to say we were not getting paid anything at all.

A few people had their laptops, mobile phones and money and passport stolen by the schools (or someone at the schools) too. We were warned to lock our items away in our cases as people at the school have keys and will come into your rooms and apartments whilst you are teaching and steal your things.

Stay away.

Response from ImmerQi

The "Teach & Travel Program" is an internship program that provides teaching experience as well as travel opportunity to participants, as the name suggests.
Teaching: Participants are given 5 days of teaching per week (Monday to Friday in most cases) with 10 to 15 hours of face-to-face teaching each week. For students ranging from primary school to university age, teaching hours are completed in class, where for kindergarten ages, teaching is a combination of in-class teaching and outdoor activities tutoring due to the low English level of Chinese kids and the specialty of kindergarten teaching.
Travel: Participants are given weekends (or two other consecutive days in some cases) off to allow them to travel and explore local areas. Public holidays (3 consecutive days occurring moderately frequently) allow participants to travel a bit further. Most participants would travel intensively after the completion of the program for a few weeks, which is what our visa is designed for, with a completion bonus as their travel fund.
Fee: As an internship program, participants receive a monthly allowance which would cover their basic living and spending costs, accommodation and meals during work days are provided. Interns are told from the very beginning how much this allowance is. In this specific case, where hot water was not available, the issue was either resolved quickly or was not reported to either the school or TTC promptly. We have looked into this case and similar incidences and have acted promptly to ensure the hot water machine is being fixed.
Both interns and schools are our participants and as a service provider we do charge a management fee from our placement schools as we provide a two-way service. Being qualified and experienced means a westerner can easily earn money in China which we are open and honest about from day one to our participants. As a cultural experience provider, TTC is designed to provide the best cultural experience using its well designed product and 24/7 support which sets us apart from regular job agencies.
Upon applying to the Teach and Travel China program, each accepted participant is well informed of the 2000 RMB monthly stipend which is provided throughout the teaching internship. TTC fully discloses that it is a private for-profit organization during the orientation which is provided during the training period upon arrival into China. Participants on the TTC program are not experienced TEFL teachers earning a salary which reflects such. The teaching internship is designed as a gap year program which allows participants to earn a TEFL certification while also experiencing the Chinese culture over the course 6 months.

Sofie
Stockholm, Sweden

Recommended!

I definately recommend ImmerQi, they are very serious and professional about what they do. They have a great support system for all participants and are all genuinely nice people.Thanks to the one months TEFL course in Beijing you'll get to meet so many new people that you'll never be without a friend when in China!

The pay is not super-good but if you go to earn lots of money you're doing it for the wrong reasons!

Since 2005, ImmerQi has been providing prospective teachers with teaching internships in China in addition to regular internship, culture & volunteer programs. ImmerQi Participants become culturally enriched and help strengthen the cultural ties between the east and the west. ImmerQi participants can choose from a