Volunteering Programs by Volunteer Programs Bali

Since 2013, over 1000 international volunteers have provided the backbone for our community of learning in our after school English classes (Monday-Thursday). Year round, volunteers from the ages of 18-35 come from all over the world to inspire our communities through diversity and cultural exchange. As part of “The VP Bali Way: Education Through Play,” volunteers are encouraged to use creative learning techniques such as games and class competitions. This helps reinforce the idea of education as a journey, not an end goal for Balinese youth.

Volunteers are immediately assimilated into Balinese culture, starting off with traditional homestay accommodation. Weekly cultural exchanges with our kids and local staff members create a special experience far beyond a typical holiday, where volunteers can truly understand the vibrant traditions that make Balinese culture so unique.

Everything we do at Volunteer Programs Bali is for the Balinese and with the Balinese. Our English classes and community opportunities help Bali's youth and their families develop in today's changing society without losing the rich culture and family values that make Bali, Bali.

Ubud!
Hi Juliette! As far as I know volunteers only get transferred if there is a case of illness or cancelation, and only if it otherwise means that a certain class doesn't have a teacher. When I was volunteering I did not see anyone transferred, they are very well organized and try to accommodate everyone's wishes.
Hi Rowan, From my experience I can tell you that during your classes you can pick up a lot of Indonesian very quickly. If you want to go more into debt you can always follow an extra course which can be found easily.
Hi Cathryn, a social/cultural visa is needed for this program. More information here: http://volunteerprogramsbali.org/placement-info/indonesian-visa/

• Benefits 8
  • Facilities 8
Mouna

No amount of weeks would’ve been enough.

I applied for the program to volunteer for two eeeks which is the minimum allowed period, you get addicted to the kids they are so loving and giving that you just want to give them more of what you know. It was such a lovely experience that I will never forget, Kim really thought of every aspect of this experience from living with a balienese family to having the program timings to perfectly fit with traveling and exploring in the mornings.
I would recommend it to everyone that is interested in different cultures, kids, teaching or traveling.
You do get really involved with the beautiful Balinese culture.
I’ll diffentlt miss the staff of vp Bali! Tutik, kitut and the helpers ❤️
Lastly I feel lucky to have met the boss “Kim” she’s quite inspirational.

Just to give the volunteers a background about the Balinese culture and how different they are, I’ve seen a lot of volunteers being in shock of how the student learn and that this wouldn’t work with them.. but the thing is that with different cultures minds really do function differently.
Sin

3 weeks with VP Bali!

I stayed with VP BALI for 3 weeks.
If you are looking for a Volunteer program to refresh your mind after leaving your career, I would say 3 weeks period is perfect. Also, VP Bali should be your first choice. You’ll have so much free time exploring the whole Bali Island yet still learn so much about Balinese culture through day to day life in the Balinese homestay and in the school.
If you have no experience in teaching before, it is absolutely fine. The previous volunteers and local staffs/helpers will advice you alot of tips and teaching ideas. The kids are very passionate about learning, try your best to make the class FUN! All in all, My time with VP Bali is precious, I am missing the kids so much while reviewing! I will only recommend VP Bali!

If you are a light sleeper, make sure bring some earplug with you since the wall at the homestay is not very soundproofed. You can clearly hear people talking until late night and all the noises from early morning. (You’ll get use to it tho)/Also, don’t forget to bring a hairdryer!
Tévy Vallée
Tévy

5 weeks in VP Bali

I spend 5 wonderful weeks in VP Bali during the summer 2018, and it was not enough. When I arrived in the homestay, I was quickly made to feel at home. I didn’t even see the time pass during my 5 weeks in Ubud. In the afternoon from Monday to Thursday I taught English lessons to a lot of adorable kids and it was so hard to left them. All the members of Vp Bali are so nice and we can see that it is a big family, they take care of each other. Even if you’re English is not very good, you can improve your accent everyday by talking with all the other volunteers. During my 5 weeks, I taught English but I learned a lot because kids are so touching and sensitive, they gave me so much love. Everyday you can see all the devotion of Kim (the founder of Vp Bali).
With my kids I played a lot of varied games in order to allow them to learn easier and faster. I think they understand better the information when we teach in a fun way and when we propose them different activities.
During the week ends, with other volunteers we had time to visit Bali, I can recommande you particularly the Nusa Islands or Uluwatu, in which you can see beautiful landscapes. The city of Ubud has a rich culture and you have always something to do, to visit. Moreover, the homestay is situated in the main road with a lot of restaurants and shops so you are never alone.
After having such an experience, this lesson will be imprinted on my heart.

Rania

Rewarding Experience!

Dropping a review a bit late but I volunteered at VP Bali back in June and stayed for a month. It was my first time traveling to Indonesia however I was able to adapt so quickly to their culture as Balinese people are simply the most welcoming, friendly and genuine people.
With VP Bali you get to experience living with a Balinese family that becomes your family and you will be in awe of their hospitality, respect and friendliness. This integration adds to the whole experience of living in Bali not as a tourist or stranger, but as a balinese, embracing their culture and the beauty of their country.
The kids at school are simply adorable, they have the best sense of humor, always so eager to learn but also to have fun. Teaching them gives you a great sense of satisfaction for being able to pass on your knowledge to others. You get so attached to them that it becomes really hard to leave. The staff at school are also the most amazing, they become your friends, and a strong bond is created with the whole community of VP Bali from the volunteers, to the staff to the kids and the family at the homestay, making the whole experience homogenous mixed with many nationalities. Kimberly, the founder of the program, is always present with you and is simply the coolest.
And on weekends (Fridays to Sundays), you get to explore Bali and its neighboring islands before going back to school on Monday :)
The fact that you are able to meet people from all over the world every week (as new volunteers arrive while others leave), and live all together in a new country, integrating in the culture and volunteering, is the most rewarding experience and I couldn't recommended enough!

alexa

my experience in vp bali

If you are thinking on doing a volunteer abroad I can guarantee you that the best place to go is Vp Bali! since you teach students 2 hours per day from monday to thursday therefore you have the rest of the day to go see siting and the entire weekend to travel! the other volunteers are very friendly and you do make great and strong friendships. The children you get to teach are very warm and welcoming you will feel like home within minutes. Kimberly, who is the funder is an inspiring human being and always in a good mood.

the rooms can be improved since sometimes we didn´t had toilet tissue
Alexia

1 month stay

I spent one month in the program and it definitely didn’t feel like enough, you should at least do 6 weeks if you can. You immediately feel at home thanks to the local staff and the family from the Homestay but also thanks to the other volunteers. Settling in was so easy and do not hesitate to ask Wayan for advice as he would always do his best to help you. . The location of the Homestay is perfect as it is in the center of Ubud with a lot of restaurants nearby and there is a laundry service so no need to worry about that.
The children are so sweet and precious, they really love to play but also have a strong will to learn. If you don’t have previous teaching experience that is totally not a problem as the program and your co-teacher will help you get right on track.
Another great pro is the free time you get on the morning or on the weekend, I really recommend you to travel around The Island or even visit the closer ones like Nusa as it is definitely worth it and wayan can help you with the travel arrangements.

Amber

VP Bali

I am in my last week of VP Bali, having joined the program 3 weeks ago - and even so, it is not long enough. If I could do my time again, I would have joined the program for 6 weeks at least, as I am not ready to leave Bali or the children that I teach!

The whole program, from pre-program information, to accommodation, to classes, is really well organised. Before arriving in Bali, you are given all the information you need regarding the program, what to bring, money, airport pick up and culture. Once arriving in Bali, you are picked up from the airport and taken to the homestay accommodation to meet the other volunteers and to see your room. You are then given all the information you need about teaching students English and what to expect during the orientations that taken place during your first couple of days. Whilst you are joining the programme to teach English, you also have a lot of free time - you have every morning free to explore the sights around and near to Ubud (such as temples, monkey forrest, waterfalls, Mount Batur, Bali swings and rice fields), and then you have Friday and the weekend to explore wider Bali (such as Gili, Nusa, Seminyak and Uluwatu) with your fellow volunteers.

As for the teaching English part of the program - I was nervous as I had never taught English abroad before and didn't know what to expect, however, Kimberly provides you will all the info you need, and the local staff are so helpful and are happy to answer and questions and help with translation. Teaching the kids is an extremely rewarding experience that I will never forget. They are so thankful that the volunteers spend their time teaching them and you develop such special bonds with your students. I am definitely not ready to leave as I will miss them all!

I would recommend anyone thinking about volunteering abroad to give VP Bali a go - it was a life changing experience, that I don't want to end!

Pateel

VP Bali 2 weeks

I was there for two weeks, and believe me when I tell you it was not enough. It was my first time traveling by myself and so far away from home – and yet, I did not feel lonely or homesick for a single second throughout my stay.
From the first moment I walked into the classroom and met my students and coteachers, I knew that this trip was going to be a very special one for me. The students are very eager to learn, have a positive attitude, and are loving that you can’t help but grow attached to them from the first time you meet them. The local staff is also always around to give you a helping hand with the kids and translations. During the program, you stay at a homestay with a Balinese family so you are also able to experience first hand the Balinese lifestyle and norms.
The program is designed in such a way that you can discover Bali in the mornings before class and during the weekends with the other volunteers and get to know them better. The two weeks I spent with the other volunteers, the experiences we lived together and the places we discovered/explored together were enough to create a bond between us that I’m sure will last a lifetime.
I thought I was only going there to teach the kids English, but I ended up learning and growing so much, all in the span of two weeks.
I want to thank everyone for being a part of this lifechanging journey, and specially Kimberley, the founder of the program, who’s become an inspiration to a lot of the participants.

Stephanie

VP Bali

I’m in my last week at VP Bali and i would really recommend it i was here from 3 weeks and time passes so fast i don’t want to leave this amazing place, 3 weeks wasn’t enough for me i will definitely come back and volunteer for more than 3 weeks. You will love everything, Kimberley and the staff are amazing, the kids are amazing and so cute, the people from the homestays are super kind, and the homestays are in a great location in the same street there are a lot of restaurants and shops, and on the weekends you can travel with other volunteers to Gili, Nusa, Canggu, Seminyak, Uluwatu, etc , you will end up with a lot of friends from all around the world.
Also this was my first time traveling alone and from the other side of the world (I’m from México), but i totally felt so safe and you will never feel alone because you will make a lot of friends and the kids are always there showing you their unconditionally love, i really don’t want to leave this amazing place and this amazing life changing experience.

Stephanie

Best experience at VP Bali

Laura

Amazing month volunteering

VP Bali is such an amazing program, I have had the most life changing experience volunteering teaching the children English for a month. The schedule is perfect as it enables you to explore and travel around Bali over the weekends as you teach Monday to Thursday. Through staying with a Balinese family I have been able to really experience their culture and this has been such a great part of the program also, Wayan and his family are brilliant as they help you to book transport for your trips, including boat tickets to other islands. The program is great as you also have your mornings to explore Ubud. The children at VP Bali are so welcoming and eager to learn English so its been a pleasure teaching them, they make me smile everyday. I would definitely recommend VP Bali to anyone who wants to volunteer teaching English, I used my summer vacation from university to come here for a month and it has been such a rewarding experience as you really make a difference to the childrens future.

Sabrina

1 month with VP Bali!

My time with Vp Bali was fantastic. I am a Canadian student who went to Vp Bali alone for 1 month. At first I felt nervous and scared because it was my first time traveling alone but the moment I got in the car with Wyan and Ibu (airport pickup) I totally felt safe and at ease. I can go on and on about how much I loved this experience but I will keep it short by giving you 5 main reasons why you should volunteer with VP Bali.

1- Volunteer experience: The kids are amazing and love to learn. They bring joy to your day and it is so rewarding to see them grow intellectually. The program is great because you do not need to know anything about teaching to be able to follow the curriculum and help the children. Truly great experience!

2- The homestay: Love love love the homestay family! They are honest and welcoming. Spend as much time with them as you can, you really get to know the culture through them.

3- Free time: The program is so flexible that you get a bunch of free time to roam around and travel other places.

4- Location: UBUD! I don’t think I need to say much more… great restaurants, market, temples, ... so much to do and see.

5- Fellow volunteers: You get to meet people from around the world and instantly make friends the moment you arrive. Great to have others share this experience with you and have people to travel with on weekends/free time.

The only regret was not staying longer!!!

Cheers,
Sabrina

Maddie

An amazing 3 months

I came to volunteer for VP Bali after dropping out of uni and it was the best decision I've ever made.

The time I spent in Bali was absolutely fantastic and I wouldn't have changed a moment of it. All of the staff and volunteers are so incredibly friendly, as are the locals, and not once did I ever feel unwelcome. On multiple occasions, I was able to experience Balinese culture in all of its beauty, and I wish I could've stayed longer to immerse myself even more.

The best part of this whole experience, though, was getting to know the children. They're always so happy and eager to learn, and they have the best sense of humour. Teaching them was such an enjoyable experience and I'll never forget them.

I had such a brilliant time at VP Bali and I'm absolutely planning on going back.

Thank you all so much for having me!

Maria

Two amazing weeks on Volunteer Programs Bali

Volunteering at VP Bali is an incredible experience. I had been in the program for two weeks, and I wish I could stay more.
The volunteers have all the support from the Staff through all the journey. They give us time to settle in Bali and then they give us all the orientation for the actual volunteering.
You don´t need to have experience teaching, because you have always a co-teacher with you and mostly the classes are really fun, you just need to be a little creative. The kids are amazing, they are the best about the program.
The classes are from Monday to Thursday from 2PM until 5.15PM. You have the mornings too visit a little more of Ubud and the weekends to travel in Bali.
Volunteers stay at a family homestay in Bali which is very important to help their community. Balinese people are really friendly and they make you feel at home.
VP Bali is an amazing program, I loved everything about it and I will surely come back to visit.

Anna Maria

my time with vpbali

I remember arriving in Bali at the airport and it was really hot. Well. It wasn’t that bad actually but very humid. So welcome to Bali, this is what it’s going to be like the next few weeks! But I promise you, you get used to it. I wanted to shower two or three times a day when I arrived. After two weeks I was okay with the climate, I got used to it. But now I’m kind of cold back home even though it’s up to 30 degrees…
But let’s go back to the airport: At the airport I waited a bit for the driver who fetched me (Bali time is different than ours, don’t forget that, they don’t forget you). There were a lot of taxi drivers who wanted to offer me a ride which is really tiring. But some also talked to me about their life and stuff, they are quite friendly. Then I found the vpbali driver I was looking for. He is a really nice, good man and he’s the owner of the homestay who’s cooperating with vpbali and brought me to the homestay where I was about to stay for the next five weeks. Since there were a lot of volunteers back then I stayed in the other one that is organized by him. So actually, I stayed only two weeks there and moved to his homestay as other volunteers left. So, what is a homestay? A homestay is very common in Bali, the family owns the land and builds other houses on their land, so tourists can rent it. It is really nice because you get to stay with the family, believe me the grandchildren of the owner are adorable, there’s no chance you are not going to love them! 😊
Since you live at their home you will find out Balinese people are morning people. If you don’t sleep very tight usually bring earplugs unless you want to be woken up quite early. But I would recommend doing that anyway, you’re going to be two people in the room and sometimes you have different plans like getting up at 2 AM to do the Mt. Batur hike! Your roommates are other volunteers of course! This is quite nice because you stay with them and if you have the same mindset you’re just going to hang out together, get some food together in one of the million possibilities (you always eat out, you don’t need to do grocery shopping unless you want to buy snacks and water; oh and go and try Clear Café!) and travel together.
Talking about plans: You’ll have time to go exploring in the mornings and on weekends. And there are plenty of possibilities, you can stay in Ubud and do some yoga, go to the north of Bali, Uluwatu in the south, the surfer area Canggu, have parties and good food in Seminyak, you can go to visit the Skygarden in Kuta, the Nusa islands, Gili islands…. You will find something!
You’re going to teach English Monday to Thursday in a funny way. But you’ll get an introduction about what’s expecting you at school by the staff once you arrive. Don’t worry too much about it and don’t worry if you never taught before, that’s not a problem at all, I didn’t do it either. But it is really cool, the kids are so cute, it’s fun to work with them. They are openminded, interested in you and thankful for you teaching them as well! It’s not hard to have a conversation once their English is good enough, they want to get to know you. At least the older ones the younger ones are really cute as well but they just begin to learn. They might sometimes look at you and ask or tell you something in Bahasa and don’t even think about you not being able to speak Bahasa. But especially for this you have helpers in your class and you can just ask them to come and help you which is very helpful.
So how do you get there? Well, you either take the car which is provided or you rent a scooter on Bali and go there on your own. You haven’t been to Bali unless you drove a scooter! You can go anywhere. You might be stuck in the traffic jam with the car but with a scooter you can go anywhere. I started taking the scooter after a friend taught me how to drive on an empty space somewhere in Denpasar. It’s quite convenient! And you get used to it very quickly. Just don’t try to do it in rush hour. And make sure you drove before you rent a scooter and that you’re comfortable when you want to take it away because otherwise no one’s going to rent you one. You can rent one at the homestay usually, if not the owner is going to help you organize one.
Well… as you see, I loved teaching and even though I like my life at home I was really sad to leave Bali. It’s a totally different lifestyle, so peaceful, so deeply relaxed, so Bali. I highly recommend doing the program! So what are you waiting for? Check their story on Instagram and you’ll know exactly what is going on, the staff and Kim are very busy keeping you up to date on social media! 😊

About Volunteer Programs Bali

At VP Bali, we believe that education can change a child’s destiny. More than just an international volunteer program, we provide opportunities to empower local Balinese communities through free English classes, recycling events, workshops, and more....