Volunteering Programs by Volunteer Programs Bali

Educational games
Educational games
Games
Games

Since 2013, over 1000 international volunteers have provided the backbone for our community of learning in our after school English classes (Monday-Thursday). Year round, volunteers from the ages of 18-35 come from all over the world to inspire our communities through diversity and cultural exchange. As part of “The VP Bali Way: Education Through Play,” volunteers are encouraged to use creative learning techniques such as games and class competitions. This helps reinforce the idea of education as a journey, not an end goal for Balinese youth.

Volunteers are immediately assimilated into Balinese culture, starting off with traditional homestay accommodation. Weekly cultural exchanges with our kids and local staff members create a special experience far beyond a typical holiday, where volunteers can truly understand the vibrant traditions that make Balinese culture so unique.

Everything we do at Volunteer Programs Bali is for the Balinese and with the Balinese. Our English classes and community opportunities help Bali's youth and their families develop in today's changing society without losing the rich culture and family values that make Bali, Bali.

Ubud!
Hi Juliette! As far as I know volunteers only get transferred if there is a case of illness or cancelation, and only if it otherwise means that a certain class doesn't have a teacher. When I was volunteering I did not see anyone transferred, they are very well organized and try to accommodate everyone's wishes.
Hi Rowan, From my experience I can tell you that during your classes you can pick up a lot of Indonesian very quickly. If you want to go more into debt you can always follow an extra course which can be found easily.
Hi Cathryn, a social/cultural visa is needed for this program. More information here: http://volunteerprogramsbali.org/placement-info/indonesian-visa/

• Benefits 8
  • Facilities 8
Marta

VP BALI

Volunteering with VP Bali was one of the best experiences I've ever had in my life.
I've made strong relationships with the others volunteers and saying goodbye was really difficult, in them I've found a family.
Kids love you since the firs moment and the atmosphere that is perceved is of happiness and tranquillity, think that here in the west side of the World is difficult to find.
And, in the end, Kim and all the staff; without them the program wouldn't exist, they are really nice and they make you feel really a part of VP Bali family!

ffnally there is the most frivolous part... you have the possibility to travel around Bali, there are too many thinks to do and to see and also living in Ubud with a local family give you the possibility to know the local culture more than a simple journey.

Join the program for at least 4 weeks, you won't regret it
Nathalie

I left my heart in VP BALI

This was the most beautiful experience I’ve ever had in life. It taught me much more than I initially imagined it would. It devastated me more than ever when I had to leave. Kimberly and the staff have built a home inside of our hearts besides our own. Not only did we feel at home, every volunteer believed that they really were. The staff and the other volunteers automatically turn into family its crazy. Negative energy is not tolerated or welcome at all in this program which is so beautiful. On the other hand, the children, the children, they are the best part. You fall in love with them and you wake up every morning super excited to go see them,and little do you know they are just as, if not more excited to see you! Its one hell of an experience. It teaches you, it grows you, and it changes you. I was thrilled to have taken part in such a wonderful program and I am most definitely going to be going back soonest possible. So much love to Kim, Tutik, Eka, Indra & the rest of the beautiful team that makes VP bali what it is ❤️

go with no expectations and a journal because you need to keep those beautiful moments forever
Maria

Amazing experience

VP Bali is the most incredible volunteering program I have participated in. You get two groups of children with a co teacher and teach them English in different levels. The kids are loving and incredible. The people you meet and the kids are people you will never forget and you will definitely stay in touch with other volunteers. VP Bali becomes family!This experience was by far the best one. I highly recommend this program to everyone who can go to it. The kids love to play and love to learn, you only teach them for a couple of hours in the afternoon and they come voluntarily. You are the one helping them for their future and the opportunities that they may have for their futures.
The founder of the program is an incredible and inspiring woman who loves what she does and makes everyone else love it.

You will have the best experience ever, you will meet people from different countries and you will never regret it.
Karla Jimena

Vp Bali

I can’t believe it is time to say goodbye. I still remember the first day here at Bali when I met my new roommate, family and city that would become my home for the next eight weeks. I remember hearing from other volunteers that were leaving soon that this experience had changed their lives, and I recall asking myself how can a place change you so much. Well here I am two months later with tears falling down my face, writing about how amazing and unforgettable this experience was.

I'm going to start with my class, these little humans are full of pure love and kindness. They will teach you how the most simple things in life are the most beautiful ones and how grateful and happy you can be with so little. These kids taught me how to be grateful for what we have and appreciate each day of our lives. To never give up, study hard and give the best of ourselves to others. Recognize the effort and to always help each other. Because of these kids I experience the kind of sensation that can’t be described, the peace few have felt, the personal satisfaction, and love for another human being. If you are looking for unconditional love, support and kindness VP Bali family is everything you need.

I really want to mention how amazing the VP bali family is. The helpers are wonderful human beings with incredible personalities that will give you a hand at any moment with the kids and activities. Tutik has the biggest heart and she always has a smile on her face, without her the program will not be the same. VP Bali volunteers have become my brothers and sisters, with who I lived incredible experience and had a lot of amazing adventures. I want to make a big shout out to the most amazing human being I have ever met, Kim, the founder of the program has become my role model. She is capable of inspiring each of the volunteers to become better human beings and if you need life advice or someone to talk to, she is the one.

Finally I want to talk about the wonderful opportunity of living in ubud and travelling around Bali on the weekends. Living with a Balinese family has been one of the best parts of this program. Wayan and his family are really welcoming, and I promise you, you will never feel homesick. You have the opportunity to meet new people, learn the language and culture and have fun on the weekends. It's all about exploring the island and seeing new things.

Stay the longest time possible, believe me you will not wanna leave. This program will change your life in all ways and will make you wanna stay forever.
Lillemo

One of the most rewarding experiences of my life!!

Joining VP Bali has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I am leaving with nothing but pure love and gratitude for the people I got to meet, this beautiful island and the all the experiences during my two months.
I have had the chance to live with a loving balinese family, meet amazing, like minded people of which some I call my best friends today. But most importantly I got to be teacher of the most loving kids - these children habe so little and are willing to give so much. The energy, love and urge to learn with which they arrive to school everyday is so strong and special that I want to call my time in the program the most rewarding experience I have had so far. We live such privileged lives that we can easily get caught up in things that now seem to have such little value. Living in a culture where life is based on trust and respect was eyeopening and made me rethink what matters most. To everyone who is openminded and wants to make some great memories, create strong connections and experience the bali life I recommend Volunteer Programs Bali with all my heart. Everything is super transparent and done with only right and kind intentions to enable these children the best possible future and support.
A huge THANK YOU to Kim, Tutik, Wayan and his family, all the helpers, the other volunteers and especially to all my students from Room1 who filled my week here with so much light and love. I will always remember you!!!

Carlos

ONE OF THE BEST EXPERIENCES

Learning from others, valuing the simplest moments with a smile on my face, as well as the many things I learned in Bali, a unique experience with my children that the beginning was not as soon as now. Making so many friendships that at first were unknown and today are my friends with the other volunteers, they gave me so many experiences and they completely improved this trip. At first I thought it would be a quiet and organized experience with friends who made this trip, which would also be easier than my friends in the future. to come and will only be carried away with the other volunteers who are in the same experience as you.

I want to thank all the people of the staff for always being for me, from the first day, until now, the support and support in the simplest doubts, a little more of their culture. Tutik and Indra, I hope they will always continue to spread the knowledge and culture to many more volunteers with the same energy with which they live their daily days.
So that there are no words to explain what he does, being a person with such a big heart to help so many children is an inspiration for many, having a smile and knowing how to handle so many things at once without falling into stress is a The things that are most appreciated, apart from knowing, always, the knowledge, and, of course, all the volunteers. a friend to whom I can tell all my weekend and we will have a great smile.

All the experiences with my children are memories I will always remember, beyond photos are memories that I have recorded, I learned more of them than I could imagine, be happy in any situation and remember the simple details that life gives you one of the main. On this trip I value that the memories you have go beyond a photo, that you lose a cell phone and know that the things you remember most are living face to face with your friends and the people around you are the moments that are worth it , I came with 4 friends and I return with friends from all over the world that I would like to visit to keep in touch.

Thanks to Wayan for giving me a home, more than a place to sleep gave me a place where I can feel at home, for all his family that always helped me at all times and for the best banana pancake I tried in Bali. Having him with us facilitates my life and my trip, thanks for opening a space in your family.

I have nothing left to thank all those who made this experience possible, my parents for all the support and make this possible, Kim for accepting me in volunteering and all the teachings, to ALL my children to fill me up as a person and all the staff of VP BALI who taught me and always shared a smile on his face as much as they could. My volunteer friends who left me sad each time they left, today I realized that at the end of the day, we were a small family united in a small span of time.

I love you guys, keep rocking always.
Carlos Mayorga

dont book before, meet the volunteers here and have fun always.
ARDELL

One of the best experiences of my life.

This was the first time that I got the opportunity to volunteer and to travel by myself, so as you can imagine, I was really scared and nervous at first, but once I arrived here and I met all the other volunteers, the incredible staff, and of course, the whole reason of my trip: the kids, every fear disappeared, I truly felt at home the whole time.
I am about to finish my 3rd and last week here and I can say that this experience has changed me for the better, I'm so thankful for everything that I learned, for every friendship I made, but specially, I'm so thankful with my kids (room 5!!!!), they were the best group I could've ever asked for. I leave knowing that 3 weeks were not enough, but hopefully I'll be back soon. I WILL MISS ALL OF YOU!!!

About the program itself, nothing. I just would love to change the time of my departure, I want to stay longer.
ARDELL

One of the best experiences of my life.

I am about to finish my 3rd and last week here and I can say that this experience has changed me for the better, I'm so thankful for everything that I learned, for every friendship I made, but specially, I'm so thankful with my kids (room 5!!!!), they were the best 2 groups I could've ever asked for. I leave knowing that 3 weeks were not enough, but hopefully I'll be back soon. I WILL MISS ALL OF YOU!!!

I wouldn't change anything about the program itself, it was amazing... but, I would definitely change the vibe that we had between the volunteers, some of them were mean, of course not all of them, I actually met amazing people here, but yeah... jus that.
Valeria

The best time of my life

I don’t even know how I should start to tell you all about my experience here;
After Eight weeks , I can just tell you one thing; 8 weeks are definitely NOT enough, I would’ve extend for life if I could.
VP bali has been the best and the most heart filling experience of my life.
Teaching to kids it’s an amazing experience, you will not only be teaching, you will also be learning. The kids that you will teach are lovely and really grateful, they always want to learn more and more. It is amazing going to school and receiving hugs, smiles, draws and flowers.
Don’t worry if you’ve never teached before, you will be perfectly fine; you will have a co-teacher that will explain you how everything works. The helpers, Tutik and Kim will always be there to help you to!
Living at a homestay with a local family and the other volunteers it’s amazing; you will get to meet incredible people and to make friendships that will last forever, so don’t be scared to come alone, I came here alone and I think It is the best decision I’ve ever made. You will get to know more about the culture and about the Balinese lifestyle. Wayan and his Wife are really kind and nice, and they will always try to help you all the time.
The founder of the volunteering, Kim, is incredible!! She will always be around and she will always help with everything, don’t worry if you’re having a bad day, just go to Kim’s office and your day, will be for sure better.
As for traveling around, don’t worry during the weekends and the mornings before class you will have enough time to explore the beautiful island Bali is.
I found my happy place, a new home and a new family here and I hope you will to.
Thank you once again to all the amazing people I’ve met in my journey here; the helpers, the other volunteers, Tutik and Kim.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would change the time I stayed!! As I already said, 8 weeks were not enough!!
Marcela

VP Bali experience

These 5 weeks what I’ve learned is that I didn’t just come to teach kids, I ended up learning more from them, more than I imagined.
I’ve learned so much about their culture and how things really are in here, is not all beautiful beaches and views, trips and pictures. The people in here really struggle. It breaks my heart every time I hear my kids talking about their training because they prepare themselves since young ages for what their going to do later in their lives, they don’t go to college, like kids at my country always do. But at the same time I’m happy cause at least I know they’ll have something to live out of.
VP Bali is the best experience I’ve ever had by far. I love all of my kids from the smart ones to the naughty ones, they all have a huge place in my heart, and I know for sure that I will never forget them. This experience has made apreciate every thing that’s has been given to me, things that I would normally take for granted. I also love all of the volunteers that have been with me along this experience, I’ve made friendships that I know are going to last forever and from whom I’ve learned so much too.
I want to thank Kim for giving me the opportunity of being here, she’s such an inspiration and she has a lot to give to this program and Bali itself. And also I want to thank Tutik for always being there for everting you need, the VP Bali team, Indra, Wayan and his family for accepting us in their home and everyone cause they’ve made all of this the best thing I’ve ever had, I’ve found in here a family and a home, and I’m sure that everyone who has being part of this have found it, and anyone who’s joining the program will. I will miss this place and the people in here so much, can’t believe this has ended but I’m leaving greatfull as hell and tears in my eyes, but very very happy.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The kids are the ones who will teach you the most, the VP Bali members and all the volunteers will become your family and Bali will become your home.
Israel

Indescribable Experience

How can you describe something that is simply indescribable?

This has to be one of the best experiences I have ever had. Starting with the classes and the kids. All of them are simply amazing, willing to learn and full of energy and passion. The classes are the core of this experience. You can learn as much from the kids as they learn from you. You get attached really quickly to all of them and as you leave the program they make you a better person than the one that arrived. Everything is perfectly organized, all the materials that you need (you can also bring things from home, as donations that are more than accepted) are there for you to make the teaching experience easier and fun, for you and the kids. The school is really close to where you would be living in the time of you volunteering.

You would be amazed by the other volunteers. All of them have a story to tell and I'm sure, as it happened to me, you will make friends that will last a lifetime. Please, talk to everyone, including the founder and the staff, because from this, you will learn a lot about everything. The city is just the perfect spot to make memories of a lifetime. A lot of places to see and a lot of things to visit.

Make sure you stay a long time. I personally participated in the program 3 weeks, but I swear 3 weeks is simply not enough. If you can, please stay for at least a month (you can extend your volunteering while being there; and trust me, you will have the thought of doing it). If I can recommend something is, enjoy everything the program has to offer. Enjoy the classes, the kids, your fellow volunteers (and soon friends), the city, the traveling, the activities, everything. You will not want to leave as soon as you get there, so please, make every second of it last.

I do not regret traveling 15,000 kilometers to get to Bali, and trust me, I'm sure that no one that has participated in the program will hesitated to come back.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
The one thing I will have to change is going more time. 3 weeks was simply not enough; I will have to go for a longer time.
Bastian

Enriching Experience in Bali

•I learned about the program on Google & it seemed so great I decided to enroll.
•The moment we arrived at Wena Homestay, we met so many volunteers from all over the globe, besides we got to live with a Balinese family. Little by little, the people we met started to become a second family.
•Orientation is very helpful and you won't feel alone.
•Most important of all, the kids are so welcoming & friendly. VP Bali is teaching in a fun way. Classes are very interactive with a communicate approach.
Overall, this is such a rewarding experience. Not only will you teach but you'll also learn a lot from the kids. You'll notice how small things really matter. A smile, a hug or a high 5 will make your day. You'll help & grow a lot. Don't miss it!.

Have some spare time to travel after the program even when you can travel on your mornings/days off. Also, consider extending your stay in the program.
Sebastienne

Amazing experience

I was recommended by my friend to have a look at VP Bali.
I did some research about the programme and then applied. I was in Bali only a month later!
I volunteered for 12 weeks from 8th of Feb to 4th of May. Below is a little overview of my time...
(For those that don’t want to read lots and just find out good from bad... I Loved it)
......................................................................
The application process ran smoothly. I received an email with a step by step preparation list which I personally found very helpful!
I had no experience in working with or teaching children and I thought this would be an issue. I absolutely loved my experience at school. The kids are amazing and have such a passion for wanting to learn. You really do build a special bond with your kids to the point where you don’t want the class to end! They are the easiest hellos and the hardest goodbyes.
You have to prepare your classes and tailor them to suit your kids and this is something that is really rewarding when the kids love the classes. You get all the help you need with the helpers and staff and you also have your co-teachers so your are never alone. It’s really a lot of fun being at school, there’s always something going on every week, from a cultural exchange where you learn about the Balinese culture to a full on school water fight... never a dull moment!
Being on the program is mainly about volunteering. But it’s also about learning about a new culture, weekend trips away, meeting new people and becoming a family.
I can’t speak highly enough about Vp Bali and the experience I’ve had. I’ve loved every moment and if your thinking about doing it then there’s lots of positive things about Vp Bali and I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time like I did!
VP Bali will always hold a special place in my heart.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Walking into the school and meeting the kids for the first time was a bit scary for me but the kids are so welcoming and happy that they make you feel so comfortable.
RIGAUD

My incredible experience in VP Bali

This experience was the best I did so far, I met incredible people, and connect with the kids really quick ! Living with strangers from all over the worlds is really enriching and really special. That's why I think if you want to go to VP Bali, you should go alone or with only one friend, that's what I did and it is better because like that you will better enjoy discover new people and you will speak English more often. Like that it's better to be integrated.
The Wena Homestay was really nice with a lovely family. I want to do it again ! You should stay a month minimum to live this experience completely.
The best memories that I have, is the farewell because it was so intense and I won't forget it for sure. Vp Bali is more than giving class to some kids, it is learning so much from them, giving but receiving so much, there is not enough words to speak about this. YOU HAVE TO LIVE IT TO UNDERSTAND IT.

I will maybe propose to help cleaning temple or things like that to be more involve in the balinese way of life. And maybe I will maybe include the payment for the way back to the airport in the price.
Celia

I want more, please.

It is no secret that volunteering is an experience full of learning. My biggest learning? Maybe be much more aware, in the broadest sense of the word. It is possible that my time at VP Bali does not mean a radical change in my life, but it is undeniable that the experience, although brief, pierces your soul and opens your mind, eyes and heart. Take down any wall that prevents you from seeing the reality of the world and the priorities of life. It makes you a simpler, more human, empathetic and sensitive person and, perhaps, of all this, you will only realize when you go back to your bubble, where you start to rethink everything. It reiterates the idea of "they teach me" but it is so true. I admired and admire their gratitude and generosity, both of the children and of the family with whom we stayed. It has helped me to value immensely what matters. But above all things, it has helped me to realize how lucky I am, how much love can be shared and how well it feels. It has helped me to grow and to meet incredible people who will stay in my life... To value more everything you have and take for granted, but that at a stroke life can take you away. I lived in my flesh for the first time that the needs are relative. I traveled with a backpack full of clothes, but I discovered that almost everything was left over, I just wanted good company and surprised me at every step. Before doing this volunteering I had two fundamental fears: that the organization was not really transparent and how long I stay should last. Well, now I am directly addressing you, future volunteer, you will only need to talk for a while with the founder, Kim, to realize the clear mission and vision of this volunteering and all your fears about possible double intentions leave. And finally, extend your stay as much as you can, for me, two weeks are not enough, so I just want to come back for much longer.

Do not reserve any excursion in advance, when you arrive here you will cancel them to make trips with the rest of the volunteers.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Volunteer Programs Bali

At VP Bali, we believe that education can change a child’s destiny. More than just an international volunteer program, we provide opportunities to empower local Balinese communities through free English classes, recycling events, workshops, and more....