Volunteering Programs by Volunteer Programs Bali

Educational games
Educational games
Culture
Culture

Here at Volunteer Programs Bali, we believe that education can change a child’s destiny. More than just an international volunteer program, we provide opportunities to empower local Balinese communities through free English classes, recycling events, workshops. Furthermore, we also provide scholarship program, paid-internship, and continuously encourage local business owners to create job opportunities for our students. These opportunities give our students the tools they need to achieve their fullest potential in an ever-changing society, while holding on to the values and respect for the vibrant culture that makes Bali so unique.

Impact

Every volunteer’s experience, empowerment, and growth is equally as important as anyone else in our family. We hope that the personal development and lessons learned during your time with us stay with you long after Bali, and ultimately inspire you to empower those in your own communities.

Ubud!

Hi Juliette! As far as I know volunteers only get transferred if there is a case of illness or cancelation, and only if it otherwise means that a certain class doesn't have a teacher. When I was volunteering I did not see anyone transferred, they are very well organized and try to accommodate everyone's wishes.

Hi Rowan, From my experience I can tell you that during your classes you can pick up a lot of Indonesian very quickly. If you want to go more into debt you can always follow an extra course which can be found easily.

Hi Cathryn, a social/cultural visa is needed for this program. More information here: http://volunteerprogramsbali.org/placement-info/indonesian-visa/

• Benefits 8
  • Facilities 8
Diego

Vp Bali Review

Review VP BALI
Diego De Corcuera Serrano

It doesn’t matter where you come from. You can either come from the other side of the world or just a couple of hours away, but the moment you arrive it begins to feel special.

Since the beginning you get picked up from the airport, all the way to the homestay your assigned to. If your excuse NOT to join Vp Bali is getting lost on the way or not meeting anybody, do not worry about it. Some of the volunteers arrive by themselves, and leave making new friendships from all over the world.

VP Bali has an amazing school schedule, because school begins around 1 pm to 5 pm almost. This leaves you more than enough time to prepare classes, see water fountains in the morning, or go to the monkey forest, or do a million different things. Also, VP Bali allows you to travel on the weekends after school with the other volunteers to wherever you want to go! It’s a perfect excuse to have fun on the weekends, travel and bond with the other volunteers.

Also Ubud it’s an amazing location in Bali, the spirit of the place will cheer up everybody. You can walk all around downtown, eat good food, or do some shopping at the market without the use of a car or a scooter. The home-stays are located perfectly, and also the families from the home-stays are really nice. They would always make sure everything is good while you stay with them. Also! The Home-stays include free breakfast in the morning. If you come with friends to the program, you can ask to be placed with them in the room.

The VP Bali school is great for making an actual difference for yourself and for the involved ones:

1. You can see over time how you bond with the children, and see them grow from your first day till your farewell.
2. It’s all fun! The children are really eager to learn english, get to know you more, and play lots of new games!
3. When you team up with your coteachers you create a special bond with the kids, because they will be more eager to be in your class if you have a good relationship.
4. Don’t know Indonesian or Balinense? Do not worry! Every single class room counts with Local Coordinators that will be happy to help you traduce some words that your students struggle with.
5. Creating life long memories with the students is priceless. You’ll see that most of them remember all the previous volunteers in the program, and tell you good stories about them. These means that eventually you’ll be one of those memories.
6. Your transport is already paid to go to school and back to the homestay! So don’t worry about walking in the hot Balinense weather.
7. Once is your farewell, you’ll see all the impact you caused in the VP Family, and the life long memories you’ll keep forever.

The program is also water clear with it’s finances so, do not worry or wonder where your money is going! The program wants to make the money worth it for the children, and not to make a profit out of it. If you have more questions about this, please visit Vp Bali’s web page.

For me VP Bali will always be one of the best memories I’ve had so far. I would recommend it to anybody who wants to do a volunteer program, and also travel at the same time. I am so thankful for this experience, and more thankful for people I got to meet on the trip. Definitely you do not go empty handed back home. Come join the Vp Family, and have the time of your life!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I could change something, would probably be staying only for 1 month! For me it was not enough, there are so much things to do, and travel inside Bali to other locations. Even though I did so many countless things in such a short time.
Diego

Diego’s Review VP BALI

Do not give to much thought into it, apply, book your flight, and enjoy all of it! No expectations are the best, take the risk!
Erin

Trip of a lifetime

This trip to Bali was, by far, one of the most rewarding months of my life. I arrived with no expectations, really, there was no way I could comprehend what I was getting myself into. To begin with the reason for my trip, I spent the month volunteering at an incredible after-school initiative called VP Bali. Teaching in Bali was so challenging, but to have each day end with your class running up to hug you goodbye made it worth every second. It’s so easy to doubt your abilities, but looking back, being thrown into the deep end gave me the skills to adapt and imagine, to build up the confidence to teach without hesitation. I taught a young class who were still learning their animals and colours, and also a class of 16/17 year olds (not too far off my own age!) who left me in constant shock with their desire to learn and improve their English. This first class was the one I found most challenging - the younger ones need constant attention and interactive learning, but are also quite shy and insecure in their English skills. It was difficult to find the perfect balance of education and excitement, but once you do, you can instantly sense the shift in their confidence. The second class was predominantly boys, and the progression of their respect for me over the month makes me so proud. The saying ‘boys will be boys’ ran true when I first started, they were super cheeky & were always laughing between each other, but as I continued and persisted with them, they not only proved me wrong in their work ethic, but they showed me genuine friendship and connection. The girls welcomed me with open arms on my first day, and are the most lovely people you’ll meet! My final goodbyes at the school were so pure, so full of love. All of the staff, local coordinators, students, drivers and families involved; thank you so much, you are all so dedicated and passionate about the vision for this school. If you’re even considering taking on an experience like this, please just do it. This trip has taught me how to love deeply: the people I’ve met are so incredibly special, so unique, so worthy of everything this world has to offer. It’s such a crazy thought to know that you have connections with people in every corner of the world, and being able to encounter and navigate different worldly perspectives is such an underrated experience.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Stay longer!!! I was a month in the program - but which I could have stayed to experience more.
Nehal

Great experience

It was a great experience l loved it & I learned a lot from it.
VP Bali family were so helpful and the kids were so sweet, I never expected that it will be that hard leaving them on my last day although i stayed two weeks.
I also loved the idea of having the time to explore different areas of Bali during the weekend
If I would give advise to anyone planning to go that would be first try to go for more than two weeks because for me when i just got used to the kids and the place i was about to leave.
Also if you would like to donate VP Bali send you a list to choose to have different options but in my opinion craft materials are mostly needed , that’s the most thing the kids are passionate about.

Emma

Best three months of my life so far

Bali was one of the best experiences I've had so far and VP Bali made it even better! The kids are lovely and the people you get to know are amazing. At first I was kinda suspicious because it was my first time traveling alone and I just finished school a few months ago, so I had no experience as being teacher at all. The other volunteers made me feel home so quick, it felt like I knew them already for ages. You also don't need any experiences with teaching because kids learn way better if they see you as a friend and not as a classic "teacher". You also have a lot of free time so you can explore a lot of the island. I would highly recommend staying three months because you build a way stronger relationship with the children and you have enough time to experience Bali itself. By the weekly cultural exchange and living with a balinese family you also get to know a lot about the culture which I found was really interesting. VP Bali changed my whole mindset because I finally found out what's really important in life.

School is sometimes a bit unorganized but I guess that's everything in Bali.
Clara

Best experience ever!

I did the program for 8 weeks and had the time of my life here in Bali. It is an amazing place with so much to see and to experience. You get a lot of free time to travel all around the island on weekends and see everything around Ubud on the weekdays. However, the program made my time here even better and so much more meaningful. The kids are amazing and soo grateful. The amount of love they give you is really touching and you can see their eagerness to learn. I really recommend this program as it feels very personal in contrast to other programs led by big organizations. The staff is super helpful and planning the lessons and teaching is a lot of fun as you get to do a lot of creative learning and see the happiness in the kids. The owner of the program is always in the school and very helpful which really makes you feel like a part of the VP family. I also met some amazing people through the program. We all lived together and spent all day with each other. I made some truly amazing and deep friendships here and everyone made me feel at home straight away. You meet interesting people from all over the world and it really feels like one big family. I can say that I’m leaving Bali with friends for life. Can’t believe my time is already over; I’m gonna miss the kids, all the volunteers and the staff so much and am definitely planning on coming back. Could not recommend this program more highly ♥️

Bastien

my VP Bali experience (4 weeks)

Staying for 4 weeks at VP Bali was the best decision I could have made. It was my first volunteering experience and also my first time in Indonesia. I went there alone and I had the opportunity to meet people from all around the world, by joining this family. Everything was well organised by the staff/helpers, they give you a lot of tips and advice about the balinese culture, how to teach children, how to make it fun and creative. I really wish I could extend.
I couldn't expect the program and the lifestyle to be as satisfying as it is. The kids are very touching and sensitive, they gave me so much love. It bring so much emotions.
You will also have time to travel on the week-end with the others volunteers, and discover the heavenly landscapes of Bali.

Sofia

My experience in Bali

Coming to Bali was the best decision that I could have ever taken, but joining the program made it even better. Bali is an amazing place to visit with so many beautiful places and temples but in my experience what makes it prettier is the people you get to meet, all the locals are very nice and kind and it’s interesting to be surrounded by internationals because you learn a lot about different cultures.
The kids at school have so much potential and are eager to learn which motivates you to teach them more and more things every day. I’m very proud of myself and the kids because we both learned a lot, they leveled up their English and I learned a lot of things, like the real meaning of happiness. Everyone at the program is very nice and will always be there if you need help.
These 3 months have been the best of my life and the time I spent here was perfect because I got to know a lot of places and ended up with brothers and sisters that I didn’t know.

Come here expecting nothing... you’ll be amazed by the place and the people. Just open your heart and get out of your comfort zone
Paulina

Best experience, you learn and grow

Volunteer Programs Bali has been an amazing experience. It has taught me more than I could have ever taught my kids. I used to be a girl that got everything solved for her. This experience has helped me a lot to appreciate everything I have, and it made me realize how easy it is to achieve genuine happiness. The kids you teach to are super grateful and eager to learn new things. They give you so much love and motivate you to be better everyday. The program consists in after school hours where you teach 2 classes for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Every sunday the programs receives new volunteers, but the group is always between 20 and 30. I loved that it is such a small group because you get to bond with a lot of people. I’m grateful for all the amazing persons I’ve met, and I can honestly say you leave the program with so many new friends. It’s incredible to talk with people from all over the world, and learn from all their cultures and traditions. I loved to stay in a homestay with a local Balinese family and get the opportunity to see how they live on a day to day basis. You get to live the experience of going to Bali to the fullest. The family is always there to help you if you need a ride or to book a trip, and they are super kind. They make you feel like you are home. I had never taught in my entire life and coming here taught me that teaching can be super fun. I loved that they gave me a list of the topics and how advanced they are because you know where to start teaching and you get ideas about exercises and fun games you can do with them. I came here the 3 months that the program has and I wouldn’t have stayed less. The people I got to meet through so much time, the things I learned, the bonding I made with my kids, everything was incredible. It has been the best experience I’ve lived. Kimberley, the founder, is an incredible person who knows all the kids personally, you can ask for help with topics and she’ll always be there to help. There are also a lot of fun activities that we sometimes do to relax and forget, and they are also really fun. I love that the week someone is leaving they do a farewell in school, it makes you feel special and it’s a last day to enjoy the dances and do a proper goodbye. The cultural exchanges also help you learn something about the balinese culture. I loved that I got to live here and get to know what locals do and eat. I’m forever grateful for this experience, for all the love I gave and received. For every lesson learned, it was my first time traveling alone and I wanted to learn, this helped me a lot. The thought of leaving makes me so sad but at the same time it makes me realize how happy I was this whole time that it’s going to make it such a hard goodbye. Like every good thing, this must come to an end. I would definitely recommend this experience if you have the opportunity to come, and the more time you come, the better! I love everyone here and I will miss the people a lot. Thank you VP, Bali. Hope I get the chance to see you again. ❤️

Be open minded since you get there! You’re gonna learn a lot and meet incredible people.
Carlotta

My Bali Experience (3 months)

Hi, I‘ve had the joy to be a part of the VP Bali program for the last three months. It has honestly been the best experience of my life so far, because the combination of teaching the kids and spending time with the other volunteers is amazing. From the beginning on it felt like living with people I have known for ages because everybody has been very welcoming and open. I love about the program that you meet a ton of people from all over the world and in a lot of different ages. I got to know people from Costa Rica, Mexico, Spain, Amerika, Italy, Palestine, Libernon, France, Portugal, Australia,.... Another part I appreciate about the program are the kids we work with. Seeing their joy and fun learning, all the effort we put into the lessons is worth it. It is amazing to actually see their progress and also how much they enjoy being around you and at the school. Additionally to that, the program is amazingly well organized. You always have somebody to talk to in case you are worried about something. Furthermore we have a lot of people supporting us during the lessons with for example translation and we are in constant exchange with all the other Coteachers and also the founder of the program, Kimberly. When I arrived and first talked to the other volunteers I arrived with, I was a little afraid, the amount of time I chose to stay, was too long, but all my worries we‘re for no reason. I am sooo happy, I had the chance to stay for such a long time. I got to know a lot of kids, volunteers and people involved in the program and also actually saw the progress „my kids“ went through. Also, I had enough time to see a lot of different places in Bali on the weekends. Aaand, I don‘t know when, but I will definitely come back and stay a part of the VP Bali family.

Sabrine

My Vp Bali Experience

If you are looking for a great volunteering experience ,i highly recommend Vp Bali.i joined the program for 2 weeks and i wished i could have stayed more .every aspect of the program was amazing from the founder,the volunteers,the stuff,the kids,till the locals .
It feels so good to be back to school and teach kids who are exceptionally kind and welcoming.The stuff of Vp Bali are very helpful and professional and Bali is a magical place to be in .I admire everyone for their efforts because they are not only empowering the kids but also contributing to the community .
And finally as Martin Luther King Jr said "Everybody can be great...because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love."
So be great and join Vp Bali.

Renee

My experience at Vp Bali!

My experience at VP Bali was for two weeks. It was a fun filled 2 weeks teaching kids how to learn english! However I would suggest doing it for longer than 2 weeks because it went really quick and I felt as though I only just started creating a relationship with the kids. The whole program was really good we were given lessons of what we were going to teach the kids and I really loved that we had bring our own creative minds to teach the kids! Not only that you get to teach kids but you also meet other volunteers who are from all over the world and you get to create long life friends. Also the staff and founder Kimberly were all really welcoming which made me feel good! I would recommend this program to my friends and family as it was such a good experience!

Marta

VP BALI

Volunteering with VP Bali was one of the best experiences I've ever had in my life.
I've made strong relationships with the others volunteers and saying goodbye was really difficult, in them I've found a family.
Kids love you since the firs moment and the atmosphere that is perceved is of happiness and tranquillity, think that here in the west side of the World is difficult to find.
And, in the end, Kim and all the staff; without them the program wouldn't exist, they are really nice and they make you feel really a part of VP Bali family!

ffnally there is the most frivolous part... you have the possibility to travel around Bali, there are too many thinks to do and to see and also living in Ubud with a local family give you the possibility to know the local culture more than a simple journey.

Join the program for at least 4 weeks, you won't regret it
Nathalie

I left my heart in VP BALI

This was the most beautiful experience I’ve ever had in life. It taught me much more than I initially imagined it would. It devastated me more than ever when I had to leave. Kimberly and the staff have built a home inside of our hearts besides our own. Not only did we feel at home, every volunteer believed that they really were. The staff and the other volunteers automatically turn into family its crazy. Negative energy is not tolerated or welcome at all in this program which is so beautiful. On the other hand, the children, the children, they are the best part. You fall in love with them and you wake up every morning super excited to go see them,and little do you know they are just as, if not more excited to see you! Its one hell of an experience. It teaches you, it grows you, and it changes you. I was thrilled to have taken part in such a wonderful program and I am most definitely going to be going back soonest possible. So much love to Kim, Tutik, Eka, Indra & the rest of the beautiful team that makes VP bali what it is ❤️

go with no expectations and a journal because you need to keep those beautiful moments forever
Maria

Amazing experience

VP Bali is the most incredible volunteering program I have participated in. You get two groups of children with a co teacher and teach them English in different levels. The kids are loving and incredible. The people you meet and the kids are people you will never forget and you will definitely stay in touch with other volunteers. VP Bali becomes family!This experience was by far the best one. I highly recommend this program to everyone who can go to it. The kids love to play and love to learn, you only teach them for a couple of hours in the afternoon and they come voluntarily. You are the one helping them for their future and the opportunities that they may have for their futures.
The founder of the program is an incredible and inspiring woman who loves what she does and makes everyone else love it.

You will have the best experience ever, you will meet people from different countries and you will never regret it.