Volunteering Programs by Volunteer Programs Bali

Volunteering Programs by Volunteer Programs Bali

At VP Bali, we believe that education can change a child’s destiny. More than just an international volunteer program, we provide opportunities to empower local Balinese communities through free English classes, recycling events, workshops, and more.

Since 2013, over 1000 international volunteers have provided the backbone for our community of learning in our after school English classes (Monday-Thursday). Year round, volunteers from the ages of 18-35 come from all over the world to inspire our communities through diversity and cultural exchange. As part of “The VP Bali Way: Education Through Play,” volunteers are encouraged to use creative learning techniques such as games and class competitions. This helps reinforce the idea of education as a journey, not an end goal for Balinese youth.

Volunteers are immediately assimilated into Balinese culture, starting off with traditional homestay accommodation. Weekly cultural exchanges with our kids and local staff members create a special experience far beyond a typical holiday, where volunteers can truly understand the vibrant traditions that make Balinese culture so unique.

Everything we do at Volunteer Programs Bali is for the Balinese and with the Balinese. Our English classes and community opportunities help Bali's youth and their families develop in today's changing society without losing the rich culture and family values that make Bali, Bali.

Asia » Indonesia » Bali
Asia » Indonesia
Year Round
Please visit the "Program Fee" section of our website's volunteer page for more detailed information regarding volunteer costs.
Included in your volunteer fee:

* Shared home stay accommodation with breakfast included.

* Airport pickup.

* Orientation prior to beginning your volunteering placement.

* Wi-Fi access onsite at the home stay.

* 24 hour local emergency number (Volunteer Coordinator).

* Support from Volunteer Coordinator and local English teachers.

* Volunteering Certificate

* Experience of a lifetime!

Ubud!
Hi Juliette! As far as I know volunteers only get transferred if there is a case of illness or cancelation, and only if it otherwise means that a certain class doesn't have a teacher. When I was volunteering I did not see anyone transferred, they are very well organized and try to accommodate everyone's wishes.
Hi Rowan, From my experience I can tell you that during your classes you can pick up a lot of Indonesian very quickly. If you want to go more into debt you can always follow an extra course which can be found easily.
Hi Cathryn, a social/cultural visa is needed for this program. More information here: http://volunteerprogramsbali.org/placement-info/indonesian-visa/

• Benefits
  • Facilities
  • Instruction

Cedomir
Belgrade,Serbia

VP Bali

Indonesia was the most incredible trip I've ever been on,it was amazing, and I'm glad I went on it. I met incredible people from all around the world, and made some great friends along the way. This trip will forever change how I view myself, my world, and my opportunities. Ubud is fantastic and there is a lot of free time to do things during the day. The friday and weekends are free as well, which gives us time to go on little trips and explore other cities with each other. Bali is genuinely the most beautiful place I've ever seen, I'm so honoured I got the chance to go there through VP Bali and have such an amazing experience.

Serbian, Croatian,Bosnian review :)
Indonezija je jedno od najboljih putovanja koje sam do sad imao. Upoznao sam fantastične ljude iz celog sveta sa kojima sam još u kontaktu. Ovo putovanje me je promenilo zauvek,pre svega poglede na sebe,svet i svoje mogućnosti. Ubud je prelep grad i prilikom slobodnog vremena ima dosta stvari da se obidje. Petak i vikendi su slobodni tako da volonteri imaju mogućnost da putuju ostrvom i upoznaju druge gradove i mesta. Sve u svemu Bali je jedno neverovatno mesto,sigurno jedno od najlepših na kojima sam bio,osećam se počastvovano i ponosno što sam 4 nedelje bio deo organizacije VP Bali!

The programme was incredible and there's not much I'd do to improve it.

Ghada
Lebanon
University of Notre Dame

Life changing experience!

I first want to thank VP Bali for this sacred and nurturing experience. The past three months in my life were full of self fulfillment, magical moments, connections, growth, and serenity. Originally we come to this program to teach English but trust me what we learn from these kids is much more than what we teach them. These beautiful creatures teach you how to appreciate the little things in life no matter how little they are, they show you how easy it could be to be a genuinely happy person, they give you the opportunity to discover how beautiful you could be by acting like a kid, by forgetting your personal life for a little while and by giving unconditionally. Willingly, these kids attend our classes right after their schools. They come not because they have to but because they want to. Seeing their improvement make you feel as proud as seeing your own child making his first steps. What's so special about VP Bali is that they work their best to make sure that we leave with much more than what you gave. With VP Bali you cannot but be a part of the culture. You'd be living in the homestay of one of the sweetest families in Ubud; you would have the opportunities to be a part of at least one ceremony, you would witness how Balinese people spend their days. With the cultural exchange on Wednesday you learn a lot about their culture and you get to act upon it as well. You also get to attend Balinese ceremonies in the village or even pray with your students in the special occasions. Finally, imagine how much you can learn about the culture when the staff members are all locals with the sweetest hearts who are always ready to share with you everything they know! More than the Balinese culture, with the diversity of nationalities of the volunteers, you would have the opportunity to have a glimpse of knowledge about a lot of different cultures as well! Especially that in VP Bali we are much more than colleagues; in VP Bali we are family! Starting from the most influential founder Kimberly, to the interns, the staff, the volunteers and most importantly the kids. You might think that three months is a long time but I was learning something new each day! No time would feel enough but the more you stay the more you learn. I came back home with a long lasting smile on my face, serenity and peace in my heart and most importantly a lot of knowledge to share.

Laura
Belgium

My internship with VP Bali

When I first started the internship I didn't imagine how much I would learn about the Balinese culture. As an intern at VP Bali you get the chance to work closely with the local staff. This was for me the best way to learn about their culture cause they are all happy to let you in and give you an inside look.
I've also learned a lot from the Kimberley. Even though she is the founder and has a million things to do she is always there to answer all the questions and help you where it's needed.
I've learned so much more about Marketing and Social media. I for sure grew a lot professionally but even more personally!
This experience is truly incredible. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made (if not the best).

Daniel

Best channel to experience meaningful local life in Bali

Kim and her team were extremely courteous and helpful right from the start. Getting used to the climate and daily schedule was the easy part. Leaving the new friends and students upon conclusion of the program was quite difficult. I am glad that I ventured out of my comfort zone to join a group of dedicated volunteers and staff who tirelessly work to educate and mentor the children and youths of Bali.

Saskia
Germany

Unique experience

Interning with VP Bali for three month was one of the best experiences in my life! When I arrived, I didn't know what to expect but my expectations were more than exceeded! I have gained new skills but most of all I have grown a lot on a personal level and I changed my way of thinking in many points. The founder Kimberley and the local staff are great! It's heartwearming to see how they support the students and the local Balinese families and communities! I had the chance to immerse into a completly new culture and I have leraned a lot about their traditions.
Either volunteering or interning with VP Bali is a great opportunity and I can highly recommend this organization! It was such an enriching experience for me and I am so grateful to had the chance to be part of the VP Bali Family! I just wish I could have stayed longer!
Thank you for this incredible three month experience! VP Bali changed my life and they will stay in my heart. I will come back for sure!

Nathan

VP Bali is doing very wonderful things!

My time with VP Bali has created wonderful and lasting memories. Kimberley and the local staff are quite wonderful and have such a beautiful vision and a wellspring of energy and drive with which to bring this vision to life.
The other volunteers who are attracted to this work are very special people also; I felt a common spirit of goodwill and the desire to be of service and to give, and that is an exceptional feeling to be around.
Then there are the children; it was the biggest treat and honor to spend time with these joyous, energetic, talented and giving young people. They are so fresh and full of vitality, they are friendly and kind, and they are so willing to connect and share themselves with you. They make you want to give the very best effort that you can give, because they are such good and beautiful people. This was so rewarding and I felt like I could never give as much to them as I received.
VP Bali is a great organization with wonderful plans and is devoted to promoting sustainability, health, welfare, opportunity and inspiration for these children and the local communities. I would partake of this experience again in an instant!

Thank you all!

Noëlle

After volunteering 16 weeks

I am a French student and I worked with VP Bali as a volunteer for four months. It is a really unique and priceless experience. I have experienced Balinese culture, which is really different from the Occidental one and spending my afternoons with the kids was amazing. I also met a lot of other volunteers from all over the world so I could improve my English and it was interesting to see how differently they see, understand and feel the different situations.
At the beginning I was worried but finally, the kids are really cute and kind and it is funny for the volunteers and the kids as long as the teacher is comfortable and energetic.

Catherine
France

Enriching experience

VP Bali is such an enriching experience! I learned a lot about how to teach English (how to make grammar fun, how to keep the children entertained and concentrated...), the culture of Indonesians (code of conduct and cultural classes every wednesday)... But most of all, i learned a lot about myself! Personal improvement in one month only! I totally recommend this program. The staff is amazing and so supportive! Plus, you only work from monday to thursday, so you also have the opportunity to discover Bali !!

I think it would be great to have a staff in each class! I had the chance to have "Eka" in my class and he was so helpful and supportive! He helped me translate into indonesian the rules, helped to keep the class quiet...etc!

Tom

Amazing experience

I spent 4 months volunteering in VP Bali.
It was one of the best experiences in my life. The kids are awesome and it is really easy to quickly feel comfortable in VP Bali. The staff is so nice and I would like to thank them for their kindness.
Bali is the place to be to travel on the week-ends with so many islands to visit!
The experience with the volunteers was also incredible because I really had the opportunity to meet people from all around the world

Once-in-a-lifetime experience !

Margarida
Portugal

VP Bali Family

This was from far the best experience I have ever had in my life. I enjoyed everything about the program but I sure regret one thing: not staying for a long time. I sincerely advise other people that want to join this program to stay more than one month. This was an amazing experience full of just positive things. It brings together the volunteer work and fun. When you are not at classes you can spend the free time visiting and doing amazing things that Ubud offers. Such as going to swimming pools in the middle of jungle, go to the monkey forest, spent time with elephants, visit the temples, go to the incredible rice fields, do some yoga, learn some cultural things about Indonesia and eat delicious meals! On the weekend you can go to close places in Bali like Gili Islands, which is a must go place. Even when you are in classes you are also having fun with the kids because you have space to be creative and teach in a lots of fun ways. The kids are absolutely amazing and want to learn whatever you want to teach them. You think you go there to teach but you will be the one who learn more with this experience. You will certainly fall in love for the places and for the people you will know. Vp Bali is not just a program is a family and you will understand that if you live this. I will always keep this family in my heart! I want and I will for sure come back one day!

I think this program is very well organized I just hope that the program expands to another school because it brings so many good and positive things, not only for the kids but to the community.

Rita
Lisbon

My 2 amazing week experience

I think that the program is well structred and I have nothing to say but good things! The kids are wonderful and also the staff. For the next participants I would advise them to write in the dairy because they might get a really fun dinner at Kimberlys house ahah and also because its good to keep the staff aware of the progress we make in both classes. Eventhough it only been a few days since the volunteer program the thing that most made impact in my life was the reminder that we cannot forget how important is to encourage people to be selfconfident. The tips I have is to go to the biahbiah warung in front of the Goutama homestay because its really good and cheap and to try the coconut store! And to go to the ricefields, elephant park, jungle fish, monkey forest and the waterfalls!!

I think the briefing should prepare more the volunteers about the drive and how it works

Isabel
Australia/Portugal

What an experience!!

Ever since the beginning, the process of volunteering with VP Bali ran smoothly. Kimberley was prompt and helpful. The information I got before getting there was a great preparation for the experience ahead. Once there, I met great people who were also volunteering, as well as the Founder Kim and the super friendly staff of VP Bali - Komang and Eka . Everyone was like minded, independently of age differences. We got introductions and meetings before the actual teaching and that was helpful.

The experience of teaching just came very naturally to me, although I haven't done it before. Creating a bond with those students didn't take long at all, I found them to be so very genuine, affectionate and willing to learn! Kim -- it is inspiring to meet people who set such a great example and who are willing to give with very little in return, besides a purpose.

I find Ubud itself to be a very deep and spiritual place; being able to live there (even if only for a couple weeks) was a tremendous immersion in the culture and habits - also because of the acommodation with a Balinese family who were always lovely. I came across such kind people all throughout this experience. I wish I could have done it for a couple weeks more. Hopefully a come back... Thank you so much for this incredible experience! :)

Lidiamara
Ubud- Bali

So much more than teach english!

I can say safely that my time here were the thirty happiest days in sequence of my whole life. no one of them i wanted to be in another place, with other people or more material goods. staffs, local people, homestay's people, the children, other volunteers.. everyone is very nice, with a big heart and disposition to do the best in this program. Along the time you start to see that the program is more than provide english classes, is also a big idea able to empower everyone that is envolving by one way.

Even through i know that few applies to say long time but, i wouldn't recommend accepted for short time like 2 weeks ( but this just about the classes, about the experience any time with you it's worth) and also about the knowledge that volunteers has about what the last teachers have done, we use the diary but i mean something more simple and efetive. I will keep this in my mind and see if i can help by one way :)

Linh Hong
Denmark

My experience

This was my first time traveling with my cousin alone and we had the most amazing trip ever. We got so much into the culture and you get to know the local people too. The best feeling about it, is that you know your money is going to help the community and not to something else. This was the most amazing trip and I would recommend it to every body who is considering. The kids that you are teaching, are the most sweetest and open minded kids you will ever meet.

Everything was perfect.

Hannah
VIC
Deakin University

I want to do it all again!

When I applied for vpbali, I was not expecting to get accepted, but they replied and accepted me within 4 hours! I was so excited to head to Ubud, Bali to meet everyone!
The best thing about the teaching experience has to be the kids. They have the most beautiful hearts and souls and are so eager to learn from us. They are so energetic and full of life; it's beautiful to be a part of. The connection I built with the children was so strong and heartbreaking when it was time for me to leave. I will miss them dearly.
Being part of such a dynamic team with people from all over the world is something I will never forget. We were all there for the same reason; to enrich the lives of the children of
Bali.
One of my favourite memories was on Australia Day, where I taught my classes about Australia and gave them small Australian toys to take home with them. They were so excited!
If you ever need a break from your everyday life, to clear your head or just be a part of an incredible team, join vpbali! You won't regret it!

Sofie
Aarhus, Denmark

Volunteer Programs Bali

From the moment we got here, we felt like a part of a family. The program is amazing. It is VERY transparrent, so you know exactly where your money goes and so on. It is an amazing non-profit organisation and the children are the best! We had so much fun teaching and playing with them, and I even learned some Bahasa in return (also we got so much love it was unreal)! I would definitely do this again if I get the chance. It has been one of the best times of my life. The other volunteers were all so sweet, and we quickly bonded. I have never felt so at home away from home.

I can't put a finger on a single thing. It was amazing! Everything from the school, to the people, to the homestay.

Rogier
The Netherlands

Welcome to the #VPBaliFamily

I am Rogier and I was one of the interns of the great organisation Volunteer Programs Bali. I did the Marketing an Event internship for 5 beautiful months. During the internship you learn a lot about business in Bali but most of all you learn a lot about the culture of Bali. I made so many friends and it is really nice to work with the local staff, all the international volunteers and last but not least the amazing students of the organisation. For me it has been an unforgettable experience and I will never forget!! Thank you VPBali that I have been a part of the VPBali family.

Iris
Rotterdam

Wonderful internship experience!!

I did a five month internship at VP Bali as part of my studies International Business and Languages in Holland. It was an amazing experience and I am glad to say that it is something that I will never forget. VP Bali did not only gave me the opportunity to grow professionally but I got a big chance to grow personally as well. I have been working at the marketing department and worked with the other interns on several projects. A big shout out to Kimberley, the other interns and the local staff who made this experience unforgettable! I would definitely recommend this internship to everyone who wants to get involved in the real Balinese culture while working in a wonderful NGO.

Liza
Berghem

A great experience that I will never forget!

I have been doing the Marketing and Event internship at VP Bali for 5 months. It has been an experience I will never forget. During the internship you have the oppurtinity to grow proffesionally and individually. The working environment is warm and welcoming and all the staff of VP Bali is really sweet and they are always there to help you. Working with them has been a great pleasure. It is great to see how eager the kids are to learn English, even at such a young age. They are really inspiring. Furthermore, you will experience a lot of the Balinese culture. This has made it overall even more amazing and I am very happy that I made the decision to come to Bali.

Anouk
Amstelveen

Great internship opportunity!

As part of my school program I did a five month internship at VP Bali. During the internship I worked for the marketing and event department where I was mainly engaged with all the social media channels of the organization. Besides learning how an NGO works, I have also learned a lot about the Balinese culture! It has been an unforgettable experience and I have met so many amazing people! I am very grateful to Volunteer Programs Bali for giving me the opportunity to do this internship.

Pallavi
India

Grab this opportunity with both hands!

VP Bali was a decision I made in the spur of the moment. I decided to apply for the program one late night in the midst of my final submissions. Clearly, this was one of the best decisions of my life! The children are wonderful and very keen to learn. Further, Ubud is so beautiful! I got to attend a Balinese ceremony, eat Balinese food and meet excellent people. If ever you need a break, a time to introspect, or feel like doing some good, this is the place to be. Don't miss this opportunity.

There is so much that is already working so well in VP Bali. If I had to say anything, it would be require longer commitments from the volunteers. Two weeks was so short for me. I would definitely come back sometime.

Patricia
Amsterdam

Five inspiring weeks!

What an incredible time! Five weeks went by so quickly.
Once in Ubud there are many things one wants to do and see. It can feel a little intense sometimes, preparing the lessons, being a tourist and spending the afternoons teaching. But I got so much energy from my amazing, adorable students!! Such a blessing to be greeted each day with many hugs and big smiles.
The staff is very supportive, kind and warm hearted. Always smilling and energetic they try to help you in any way they can. I was amazed how creative they are as they organised every week a different farewell event. Also the family from our homestay was lovely...it felt like 'home away from home'.
I had planned to stay four weeks only, when I heard that a few volunteers had cancelled, I decided to stay an extra week. Spending time with wonderful children who are eager to learn, a fantastic staff and great volunteers from all over the world made this an inspiring, enriching experience!

The program needs a more structured curriculum. The ESL sheets offer a good basis but there should be more fun exercises for different levels.

Felipe
Caracas, Venezuela

A positive-impact experience in paradise

VP Bali is more than just a volunteer program. It's a full immersive experience that allows you to connect with a beautiful project located in the paradise that Bali is. And this paradise has many challenges to overcome of which education is a key factor. The desire to empower these children is strongly felt in the VP Family of staffs, interns and volunteers and even though you are the 'teacher' you will learn so much from the children with their hugs, smiles, laughs and football matches.

The infrastructure and design of the program made me feel so welcomed and supported, even though I never taught English to children before, that I will highly recommend it to everybody.

Emily
Sydney
University of Sydney

Great experience!

I'm immensely grateful for the experiences this program provided me with. I stayed for three weeks, however I wish I could have stayed longer. The children are beautiful. They are very enthusiastic about learning which makes our job much easier and more rewarding. The teaching hours are very manageable, and the weekend breaks are prefect for taking in the Island. You teach with a co-teacher which presents its own challenges, but I never felt out of my depth. The local staff are just lovely and are willing to support you in any way possible. The communication between the program director, staff and interns, and the volunteers could be improved. I feel confident that I made a positive impact during my time with VP Bali. The program is well designed to ensure the sustainability of the program, so that the children continue to benefit despite some of the volunteers' short stays. I also liked that although the program is not Indonesian owned, they employ a number of local staff and clearly respect the local community. I highly recommend volunteering with VP Bali!

It was all very relaxed (Balinese-style!) however expectations were not very clearly communicated. This is partly due to the language and cultural barrier between local staff and the volunteers, but I feel it is also the result of a lack of organisation. I feel the program would benefit from a greater emphasis on curriculum development and teaching support, rather than marketing etc.

Maria
Jerez de la frontera
University of Cádiz

Five inspiring weeks!

What an incredible time! Five weeks went by so quickly.
I had planned to stay four weeks only, when I heard that a few volunteers had cancelled I decided to stay an extra week. Spending time with wonderful children who are eager to learn, a fantastic staff and great volunteers from all over the world made this an inspiring, enriching experience!

Kelly
Colorado, United States of America

My time living in beautiful Bali

This program was the best decision I have ever made in my life! After feeling extremely stuck in my life, I took a chance to try something completely outside of my comfort zone - and it was the best thing I have ever done. This island and it's people are beautiful - they are so happy and so filled with culture and life, Bali really is magical. And it was truly a gift to be able to live right in the middle of Ubud with a Balinese family who welcomed me with open arms. The homestay began to feel like home and the owners began to feel like family. It's wonderful that all of the volunteers live together and I was able to make some life long friends from all over the world. The program itself is very beneficial to the community since most of the Balinese depend on tourism for income and livelihood - therefore learning English is vital. The school is wonderful and the children are absolutely AMAZING - I fell in love with each and every one of them. They are so happy to be at the school learning and are always so welcoming to each new volunteer. I honestly think that I learned more from the children than they learned from me. The staff is also wonderful - they are always there if you need assistance or translation in your class, they are so kind and understanding to each and every one of your needs. If you are considering this program, I would urge you to stop thinking and just do it - you won't regret it!! This program and my time spent here will always hold a special place in my heart - I miss my children, the volunteers and the rest of the staff every day and I will definitely be back!

I only have a couple complaints about this program because overall it was fantastic. I think it could use a little more structure as far as the amount of volunteers that filter in and out - it takes about 2 weeks to truly get to know the children and how the school functions and some volunteers only stay for 2 weeks before they are gone. I also think the kids get really attached to some volunteers, so I worry about their psychological health with so many volunteers coming and going. I think that each new teacher MUST get an experienced teacher to co-teach with for the first week - I was teaching by myself when I first started out and it was extremely difficult for me. I also think that the volunteers should have a solid foundation of the English language before being able to teach it (there should be some sort of testing) because I found that a lot of the volunteers spoke very poor English and were teaching the children incorrectly.

Lisa
Zurich

VP Bali (4Weeks)

I am so impressed about how many kids come to the lessons and how well they do! I think i have learned a lot from them as well.

the most ipressive thing i have experienced here was one afternoon when we wanted to play a game with one part of the class while the other part was finishing a test. I asked them what they wanted to play and they told me they don't want to play!! They wanted to study, i was so impressed and it took me some time to think of something we could do! We ended up reading and they were happy.

Even the first class, i wanted them to learn vocabullary and started writing the words on the board. When i finished i turned to them to see that they had allready finished to copy the words and started to tell me the transalation in bahasa, some of them also started to shout otherr words that would go with that topic! The most impressive thing was that they knew every word the next day!!

Helena
Tuusula

Amazing experience with VP Bali

I had an amazing time with VP Bali. All the staff is very kind, helpful and motivated. You always had fun with the kids and playing educational games helps them to learn English in funny way. Volunteers use Google drive to update diary to help new volunteers. You can also find games from Google Drive although I think it would be good if there were more games and ideas for volunteers. Anyway I had an amazing experience!

Inaki
Cancun, Mexico
Florida International University

My experience at VP Bali

My time here in Bali was very good, more than I expected, I get to know a lot of people in here but what I like and what I think was the best of my experience, were the kids, so full of energy and with so many hopes. I thought that I was coming to teach, but instead they teach me more than I could teach them. They just want to learn and have fun. There was a day that the other volunteers and I want them to play a game, but instead, they ask us for a book to read, we were so surprise because we just finished the lesson and then was time to play. That makes us realized that Volunteer Programs as this are so good for so many people, and also so needed in many places. I am greatful with Vp Bali because of this experience, they treat me so well and they were always there helping other voluunteers in the school and after the school. They really care about the kids and his future.

They need more donations for the materials, because it is not always enough. The kids want to learn so much and in so many different ways, that it would be better fot the kids to have more material.

Marilisa
Brazil

Amazing Experience Volunteer Work at VP Bali

Volunteer work abroad is the amazing experience to know about the culture, people and real life. Its a big immersion.
I have been volunteering with VPBali for 2 weeks and it was a great experience. The children are lovely and they like learning and enjoy with us. 2 weeks is too short time, but better than nothing and im so happy to helped the childrens new things in this time, like teaching them about articles. We just need make fun and they learning very fast. At the end of the day, we are (volunteers) satisfied with the result. Thats amazing.

We can teaching them english, but they give us more than this, they give attention, love and happinness.

For sure, i recommend this for everyone.

I know the children need have fun because this is the second school where they are going in the same day, but, I think the staffs need to incentive the volunteers to do more education games for children to pratice the vocabulary or learning new things. Funny and learning at the same time, not just games like: football. Its funny, but this kind the game they dont learning english at the same time.
More details on diary its good for help new volunteers and maybe on sunday meeting show the informations on google drive and explain about same games for new volunteer to be prepared for the first class.

Since 2013, over 1000 international volunteers have provided the