When I was in elementary school, my Korean soccer coach was like a second father who shuttled me to practices and games, told me I should eat more meat, and liked to yell, “Tuck in your shirt,” from the sidelines.
On trips to faraway tournaments, we listened to powerful Korean ballads, and for my birthday, his daughter gifted me traditional Korean hair clips. As a kid, these foreign hair clips and songs were all it took to imprint a fondness for South Korea I couldn’t shake even in my 20s.
After graduating university, deciding to go overseas to teach English in “The Land of Morning Calm” was a no-brainer.
Navigating the job market and finding the best teaching opportunities in South Korea, however, was a different story. With so many options, it took me days of research just to find the top programs. To save your own time for packing and binging K-dramas, sift through the best teach abroad programs in South Korea Go Overseas has found below:
- Korvia Consulting
- Travel and Teach Recruiting Inc.
- Reach to Teach
- Greenheart Travel
- Canadian Connection
- English Work
- Footprints Recruiting
- Education Adventure
- Teach Away
Click the links above to find out which teach abroad program in South Korea is right for you, or continue reading for more information on each recruiter.
How did we pick these programs?
In choosing the best teach abroad programs in South Korea, we took into account two main factors: the review scores of each program, and the number of reviews that program had received.
For all teaching programs on Go Overseas, we ask reviewers to rate six variables: (1) Benefits, (2) Support, (3) Fun, (4) Facilities, (5) Safety, and (6) Overall. We average these scores, compare them to other medical volunteer programs, and take into account the total number of reviews each program has received. In total, we compared over 300 reviews to determine which programs should be included on this list.
From there, our goal is to choose those programs which are truly the best: they have more and better reviews than the average for similar programs, and are verified by enough reviews for us to feel confident giving our stamp of approval.
#1 - Korvia Consulting - Teach English in Korea
With the best overall rating, Korvia Consulting is the program to choose if you want to teach English at a public school in South Korea, but you’re not sure where to start. The program is even located in Seoul, so communication between Korvia Consulting and top schools is bbali, bbali (quick, quick!)
In addition, Korvia Consulting has relationships with education offices around all South Korea and is an official partner of EPIK, GEPIK, and GOE programs — some of the best teach abroad programs in the country that offer the best perks. It's no wonder Korvia has the highest overall rating. Take a look at some of the reviews for the Korean teach abroad company:
- “They work as your best buddy as you go through the process, they support you every step of the way. You can find an English teaching job in Korea without Korvia, but why would you want to?” -- Tom
- “Honestly, moving to South Korea and working with EPIK has been the best decision I've ever made, and I don't think it would have been possible without the help of Korvia Consulting! The EPIK process is certainly intimidating, but Korvia made sure everything was taken care of smoothly and in a timely manner.” -- Kayla
- “They set up everything for me from the job interview, to even helping me find cheap flights. My recruiter Jessie also offered me her phone number in case of emergency. They have been very helpful and very fast at responding to any questions or concerns I've had.” -- Carolynn
Public school teaching programs in South Korea, like EPIK, can be some of the most difficult to get into because they require near-perfect resumes, lesson plans, and documents. But, the top-notch reviews on Korvia Consulting show working for a public school in South Korea is totally doable with the right help.
#2 - Travel and Teach Recruiting Inc - Teach English in Korea
Travel and Teach recruiting earned its spot on this list with its “Travel and Teach Teacher Guarantee.” From the time you first apply to your school in South Korea, until your very last day, this program provides recruiting services totally free of charge.
Highest rated for its support services, Travel and Teach Recruiting Inc. is your gateway to a streamlined application process and substantial assistance abroad. Numerous Travel and Teach Recruiting Inc. alumni left raving reviews for the staff members, such as Niko and and Janice. Here’s a better look at what some of Travel and Teach Recruiting Inc.’s alumni think about the program:
- “Travel and Teach helped with finding jobs to my interest (and degree), completing paperwork and most of all providing traveling guides to introduce me to the country and program. Travel and Teach made sure I was prepared for the trip and even did a follow up after I arrived.” -- Koblia
- “Travel and Teach got me a job quickly when no one else could. I worked with at least 5 or 6 different recruiters before coming to Travel and Teach and many would promise a lot and deliver very little. Travel and Teach got me a job so that I could be close to my wife and did so quickly and efficiently.” -- Aidan
- “My first attempts to search for a new job teaching overseas felt daunting and overwhelming. I found Travel & Teach Recruiting through Janice, my advisor from Oxford Seminars. Once the connection was made, the process for obtaining a job became much smoother!” -- Marjorie
Not every school is looking for the same teaching personalities, so it’s difficult to know how to tailor your resume and lesson demos for each prospect. Having a helping hand like Travel and Teach Recruiting Inc. is often the boost teachers need to score the best jobs in South Korea.
#3 - Reach to Teach - Positions With Public and Private Schools
Reach to Teach is one of the best-kept secrets among the foreigner teaching community in South Korea. The teach abroad program has 40 years of ESL teaching experience that extends even beyond South Korea, in Taiwan and in the U.S., so they have a special perspective. All of the employees at Reach to Teach were once teachers themselves, so supporting their to-be-teachers and answering any questions about life abroad are their foremost concerns.
The teach overseas program is an American official recruiter for the EPIK and SMOE public-school programs that start in Aug. and Feb. However, they also pair teachers with private schools recruiting year-round. See how Reach to Teach goes above and beyond to help their teachers below:
- “Without the help of Reach to Teach, I would not have been able to complete the application process to receive a placement from EPIK. I highly recommend them for anyone who is interested in teaching in Asia. Reach to Teach is the best!” -- Lindsay
- “When I was applying to teach English in Korea I had so many unanswered questions, anxieties and concerns. Reach to Teach, hands down, answered all of my questions, curiosities, concerns and laid all my anxieties to rest. They really walk you through each step of the process thoroughly so that you know what to expect.” -- Nicole
- “Throughout the entire process of getting to South Korea, Reach to Teach was extremely helpful. Every question that I had was answered quickly and thoroughly, and it was evident that the representatives from Reach to Teach truly cared about my placement in South Korea as well as my wellbeing.” -- Brett
I didn’t personally use Reach to Teach when I applied to teach in South Korea, but I was jealous of those who did. My first time at the airport in Seoul, I was wandering alone, trying to find my transportation. I saw a bunch of Reach to Teach staff with big smiles and signs looking for their native English teachers, so it's clear they genuinely care about foreigner’s well-being abroad.
#4 - Greenheart Travel - Free Housing, Flight Reimbursement, Benefits!
Out of all of the best teach abroad programs in South Korea, Greenheart Travel scored the highest rating, a 9.7/10, in benefits. So, what kind of outstanding benefits can you expect with this overseas teaching program? Access to a personal program manager, South Korean school application reviews, pre-departure support (including cultural and logistical training,) and a waived application fee for anyone taking a TEFL/TESOL course through Greenheart Travel to boot.
Plus, Greenheart Travel is open to helping get teachers placed in both private and public schools, so you won’t have to settle if you already have your mind made up. Learn more about the program by reading some of the reviews that follow:
- “It's helpful to have a company guide you through the intense application process. My Green Heart recruiter provided many detailed instructions on how to apply for certain documents and reminded me of the due dates for everything along the way.” -- Kristin
- “Greenheart travel was extremely helpful throughout the entire application process. Sara, my recruiter, was always extremely quick to answer all of my emails - and there were many!” -- Gin
- “I absolutely love South Korea. I was well prepared by Greenheart for all the cultural differences and difficulties I may experience here. I have experienced many differences - the food, the social scene, the language and many more - but having been pre-warned I was able to take them in my stride!” -- Sally
Still deciding if teaching is for you? Consider one of Greenheart’s other programs and fulfilling volunteer opportunities, like rehabilitating animals at a rescue center in Costa Rica.
#5 - Canadian Connection - English Teaching Jobs in Korea
You don’t have to be Canadian to benefit from Canadian Connection’s teaching overseas services. This teach abroad program got high scores across the board, from fun to facilities, and will help you find the best ESL jobs in South Korea (that offer free housing and airfare, of course!)
One thing that really sets Canadian Connection apart from the other best teaching programs in South Korea is that it prepares teachers for life abroad by gifting a travel kit that includes maps, travel guides, a cultural insight book, and a Korean language brochure. Here’s some more insight on the program from past and current teachers:
- “I've already told many friends about Canadian Connection. Amazing program, nice staff, great benefits! I am never bored. I have enough left over at the end of the month to travel and to send money home. I am going to renew my contract on if I can go through this program.” -- Erik
- “Canadian Connection did an amazing job of preparing me for my employment abroad, from walking me through the necessary steps to get my visa and other documents, to answering random questions I had about my upcoming culture and experience. They made themselves available through email, Skype, and phone calls.” -- Jack
- “I truly feel that had it not been for Canadian Connections, my transition would not have been nearly as smooth and I may have already turned around and gone home. They made sure I was prepared for everything. They were always available for questions and were excellent at keeping in touch on a daily basis for any type of question.” -- Camillac
In addition to acting as the liaison between you and your school, Canadian Connection will also put you in touch with current or former teachers of the school you’re applying to. That way, you can ask direct questions and there won’t be any surprises.
#6 - English Work in South Korea
English Work might not have as many reviews as the other teaching programs, but they do have a spectacular 95 percent rating and a near-perfect score in support. Having placed hundreds of teachers already, this recruiting agency uses placement counselors to match teachers with schools worth getting excited about. The best part? You’ll get results soon after connecting with your advisor. Read some of the comments below from alumni to see if English Work is the right program for you:
- “Thanks to this program I now spend my time hiking beautiful mountains, making new friends (Koreans and other foreigners), visiting incredible places, and genuinely enjoying going to work. Perhaps most importantly, I have had the opportunity to go out and make fool of myself at karaoke many times. So much fun!” -- Jonas
- “I have never had a job search go as smoothly as it did with English Work. Michael Kim interviewed me and made sure I thoroughly understood the process. Within just a couple days he got me my first interview with a government-supported hagwon, and they offered me the position just 4 days after that.” -- Tim
- “I've settled in so well and it's down to the efficiency of English Work, my employers and my co-workers. Moving country is particularly stressful but English Work made the transition as easy as possible.” -- Emma
Uprooting your life to teach abroad in South Korea can be intimidating, but programs like English Work make the process much easier.
#7 - Teaching Jobs in Korea With Footprints
Footprints is one of the oldest recruiters in South Korea for private and public teaching jobs, and it’s received some of the highest marks in facilities and safety. Since 2001, the teach overseas program has been helping place teachers with schools that offer plentiful benefits, such as high salaries and a wide range of jobs to choose from. Unconvinced? Take a look at some of Footprint’s top reviews that follow:
- “My experience with Footprints was great. … I think the best compliment I can give is that the recruitment process was so smooth, the details of it practically disappeared. Everything was easy and straightforward.” -- Marc
- “Working abroad is such a great experience and Footprints is a free and reliable service to help you through the process. They will make sure that your work abroad experience is a stress-free and memorable one!” -- Janet
- “It was a few years ago, but I remember Footprints being extremely helpful in assisting me with my application and looking over everything to make sure I was good to go. The step-by-step process they led me through before I finally applied definitely took a lot of stress off of me as far as time management and making sure I had everything ready to send to EPIK.” -- Jessica
Teacher’s experiences in South Korea vary greatly depending on the area and school they’re placed in. The best teaching programs in South Korea, like Footprints, really listen to your concerns and place you where they think you’ll do best, from Gangwon to Ulsan.
#8 - Education Adventure: Excellent Teaching Jobs Starting Every Month
With a name like Education Adventure, how can you not be inspired to teach overseas? But, there’s always more to a program than a name. Education Adventure was the only top teaching program in South Korea to mark a perfect score --a 10! -- in support, so you won’t have to worry about taking the leap alone.
Free of charge, this teaching overseas program works with schools in Seoul, Busan, Gwangju, Daegu, and more to hire qualified English teachers. Read more about what teachers have to say about this program:
- “For anyone looking to teach English in Korea I would highly recommend going through Education Adventure! Sally, who runs the program, will guide you every step of the way and make sure that you feel comfortable throughout the process of securing a teaching position.” -- Andrew
- “Education Adventure helped me a lot with applying and adjusting to this new career. Although there was a time difference between us, they were always well-organized and kept me updated for anything important. There were some parts that were arduous, but Education Adventure -- Sally -- solved the problem right away.” -- Suvin
- “Education Adventure really helped me out with my move to South Korea. Any questions I had they were answered. I am so thankful I found this recruiting company. I really love it here in Korea, I have been surfing and paragliding so far this year. I have done so much travelling, and met a lot of other teachers.” -- Melissa
If you’re looking for a bit of adventure in your life, or you want to save money or just better your resume, teaching with Education Adventure is the place to start.
#9 - Teach Away - English Teaching Jobs in South Korea
Many teaching jobs in South Korea require teachers to have TEFL/TESOL certifications, which can be pricey and time-consuming. Paired with distinguished University of Toronto, Teach Away offers an online TEFL course that’s quick and cheap, so you can continue working or studying until you’re ready to go overseas.
But, whether you choose to take Teach Away’s online course or not, you can still use the teaching agency to be paired with private and public school jobs all across “The Land of Morning Calm.” Plus, while some teaching programs focus on one age or grade-level, Teach Away works with educators to teach in elementary, middle, and secondary schools. Here’s a snapshot of what two of Teach Away’s alumni have said about their program.
- “My experience in South Korea was amazing. I felt very supported by my recruiting agency, Teach Away. From the initial contact through the application process to my over the phone interview, reviewing and signing the contract as well as physically traveling to join us in orientation in South Korea - Teach Away was there for me every step of the way!” -- Lindsey
- “The program in South Korea offers me everything I need to have the experience of a lifetime and Teach Away was a huge help getting me here. They were always reachable to answer my questions and help with my visa documents.” -- Jordan
Here's a snapshot of Teach Away's review performance:
All of the teaching overseas programs on our list offer top-notch placement services and support. But if you’re looking for school placement in South Korea and an online TEFL program in one package, Teach Away is the way to go.
Which Teach Abroad Program in South Korea Is Your Best Bet?
All of the teach overseas programs in South Korea ranked above exceeded Go Overseas’ standards, from benefits and fun, to support and safety. Whether you have your eyes set on South Korea for its rich culture, remarkable mountains, or barbecue and soju, your transition to teaching in Korea will be seamless with the right program.