There are lots of different programs and contexts through which you can teach abroad. The most credible and prestigious of those are government teaching programs! Many countries have cultural exchange programs that make it easy to teach abroad and put a well-known name on your resume.

What is a government teaching program? Most government teaching programs are exactly as they sound: you end up teaching for the government through a partnership between the U.S. and another country. This partnership is what makes it easier to get a job teaching in another country than it would otherwise be if you just started sending your resume to the education departments all over the world.

Photo credits: University of the Fraser Valley.

When and Where to Apply for Government Teaching Jobs

You may want to check with the specific program you’re interested in for specific dates, as each country’s relationship with the U.S. is different and therefore, the amount of time it takes to apply for a visa will be different. Generally speaking, you’ll want to start thinking about applying a year before you want to leave.

Work Visas & Sponsorship

If you want to live and work legally in another country, you’ll need to apply and receive a work visa. All government teaching programs will either help you out with or do most of the paperwork for you. They'll also sponsor you for a work visa (just one of many perks of teaching abroad through one of these programs).

However, you may still have to do a bit of work yourself. Just be sure to check with your specific program to see what they need you to do and make sure you have all the necessary paperwork when you go to apply!

Salary and Cost of Living

This will certainly be different depending on the type of government teaching program you go into and the location you choose to live in. Volunteer programs will have lower salaries (often called stipends), but could still be considered locally affluent depending on where you live. Furthermore, if your teaching job provides housing, that often means your salary or stipend will be lower (as in the case of the Peace Corps or the English Opens Doors program).

Classroom and Work Culture

Many of the government programs available are language “assistants,” which means you’ll be teaching, but you might not have to assume all the responsibilities of a host country's national teacher. Many assistant teachers only work between 12 to 16 hours per week, not including time for preparation or extracurriculars. You’ll often also be paired with another teacher who you’ll work closely with throughout the year.

In other programs, such as Peace Corps, you’ll be the only teacher, but you’ll have support from not only friends and mentors in the Peace Corps staff, but also the staff at your school. You’ll also likely only be working between 12 and 20 hours per week, leaving you plenty of time to explore your new host country!

The most popular countries for government sponsored programs are France, Spain, Japan, Chile, Korea, and Colombia.


  • Fulbright U.S. Student Program is a very prestigious and competitive program backed by the U.S. government. Specifically, in teaching grant programs (there are many, many other programs to choose from), you can choose to teach English as an assistant in Asia, Europe, the Middle East, North and sub-Saharan Africa, and the Western Hemisphere.
  • Peace Corps is a 27-month commitment, meaning that you’ll get two full years of teaching experience, as well as three months of intensive training. During all of this, you’ll be paid a monthly stipend, which is typically more than enough to live off of in your host country. At the end of your service, you also receive a $7,425 (pre-tax) resettlement allowance.
  • English Language Programs - U.S. State Department people with a graduate degree in English language teaching or a related field can apply to teach abroad in any number of countries. For more info, look at the State Department's page on ELPrograms.


In Asia, you can teach abroad through several government sponsored programs. In Japan, there's the Japanese Exchange and Teaching program (JET programme for short). There are a few positions you can apply for, though one does require basic proficiency of Japanese. First year teaching salary starts at 3.36 million yen, or $35,000. Assistant Language Teachers (ALTs) are responsible for helping with classes ranging from elementary to high school, as well as teaching classes and extracurricular activities. Housing is not provided through the program.

In Korea, there are several programs, GEPIK, EPIK, and TALK. With EPIK, teachers will teach a maximum of 22 hours a week for a full year. You also have the opportunity to renew and you’ll be taking home roughly $2,000 per month. If EPIK seems like it might just be a little too much for you or you don’t quite meet their requirements, there’s also TALK: Teach and Learn Korea. TALK is specifically for elementary teachers, but there’s also significantly smaller workload and a smaller stipend.


Although at one point, Georgia had a government sponsored program for teachers, the main two programs in Europe are the North American Language and Cultural Assistants in Spain and TAPIF: Teaching Assistant Program in France.

Spain's program is an assistant teaching position, which means that you won’t have your own classroom or be replacing an English language teacher. Instead, you’ll be supporting and enhancing an already existing class. You’ll be provided with national health insurance and a monthly stipend of roughly 700 - 800 €, or $950 - $1,075. Housing is not provided through the program and a knowledge of Spanish is required.

Similar to the North American Language and Cultural Assistants program in Spain, TAPIF is a program that places participants in an assistant position throughout France. Again, you’ll be provided with national health insurance and a monthly stipend of roughly 700 - 800 €, or $950 - $1075 and knowledge of French is required. This program is generally only open to university students and recent college graduates.

Latin America

Finally, in Latin America the Colombian and Chilean governments both sponsor teachers to come to teach abroad in their countries.

In Chile, their English Opens Doors Program is much shorter in terms of duration than most others; however, that allows for more flexibility when it comes to choosing when you’d like to go! You’ll work with a Chilean teacher to lead 25 hours of classroom teaching time, plus extracurriculars, and stay with a host family. You’ll receive health insurance and CLP 65,000 (about $115) per month.

The Colombian program is pretty similar, but one of the newest government sponsored programs on this list.

Smaller Programs to Watch For

Of course, there are government sponsored teaching programs popping up all the time. Here are a few smaller / less well-known government teaching programs abroad you should also consider:

Contributed by Rachel Pelham

Government Teaching Programs Abroad

Displaying 1 - 15 of 37 programs
Reach to Teach
Great Positions with Public and Private Schools in Korea!
South Korea
9.31 •58 reviews

Reach To Teach has over 40 years of ESL teaching and recruitment...

ESL Consulting
Teach English in Korea with ESL Consulting - SeoulESL
South Korea
9.36 •33 reviews

ESL Consulting-SeoulESL is a Korea-based ESL recruiting company...

Reach to Teach
Reach To Teach - English Teaching Jobs in Taiwan
9.32 •37 reviews

Do you enjoy travel? Do you enjoy being around children? Do you think...

Jet Programme
Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Program
9.12 •17 reviews

Please direct all questions to your local JET Program Office. The...

Teaching Assistant Program in France
Teach English with TAPIF in France
7.84 •19 reviews

Teach English in France! Are you ready to expand your cultural...

Teach and Learn with Georgia
Teach and Learn with Georgia
Georgia, Republic of
8.33 •12 reviews

Join Teach and Learn with Georgia to teach English and make a...

Endeavor Group
Teach Abroad in China with with Endeavor Group International
9.8 •5 reviews

Start your journey to China today. Teach abroad with Endeavor Group...

Spanish Ministry of Education
North American Language and Culture Assistants in Spain
8.62 •13 reviews

The program is an academic “continuing education” grant provided by...

BFITS Thailand
Teach Abroad with BFITS Thailand
7.95 •19 reviews

Bright Future International Training & Services (BFITS) is a full...

110 reviews
Korean Horizons
GoOverseas 2018 Winner!! EPIK Public Schools Available Each Month
South Korea
9.82 •110 reviews

Korean Horizons won the Gooverseas Community Choice Awards for 2018 by...

GEPIK Standard Program-Teach English Abroad in Korea
South Korea
7.8 •5 reviews

Gyeonggi English Program in Korea(GEPIK) is a flaghip initiative of...

ISAC International School Alliance of China
ISAC University Teaching Program in China
9.33 •3 reviews

The ISAC University Teaching Program (ISAC-UTP) offers a life-changing...

RVF International
Teach English in Spain | Get paid while you travel and explore new cultures!
9.42 •12 reviews

Reasons to not come and teach English in beautiful, sunny Spain? Zero...

OK Recruiting
Teach English in Korea with OK Recruiting
South Korea
9.36 •11 reviews

OK Recruiting has partnered with more than 900 English academies and...

ISAC International School Alliance of China
ISAC National Teaching Program
10 •1 review

ISAC National Teaching Program is a project run by ISAC that provides...

Online TEFL Courses

These TEFL courses will help you acquire the skills and qualifications to teach abroad anywhere in the world
  • World TESOL Academy
    120-hour Online TESOL/TEFL Course
    9.85 •13 reviews

    To effectively teach the English language, you’ll need to have a...

  • 2 new reviews
    Westminster College London
    150 Hour Online TESOL Course-Westminster College London
    10 •2 reviews

    This course will give you thorough training in the skills of being an...

  • BridgeTEFL
    BridgeTEFL Online Certification Courses (40 - 120 Hour Options)
    9.36 •14 reviews

    Bridge, with 30 years’ experience and Department of Education...

  • 1 new review
    Abridge Academy
    Accredited TEFL Courses - 10-150 Hours with Specialisms in CLIL, Experiential Learning, Online Tutoring
    10 •1 review

    Interested in teaching abroad, becoming an online English tutor, au...

  • TESOL Coach Master
    150 Hour ONLINE TESOL Certification Course
    Multiple Countries
    9.71 •7 reviews

    TESOL’s full form is Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages...

  • 362 new reviews
    UNI-Prep Institute
    UNI-Prep 120-Hour Online TESOL Certification Course
    9.21 •362 reviews

    UNI-Prep's online TESOL Certificate program is 120-hours in length, is...

  • 183 new reviews
    ITTT Online TEFL/TESOL Course
    8.84 •183 reviews

    ITTT offers a wide selection of online TEFL courses ranging in length...

  • International TEFL Academy
    International TEFL/TESOL Courses & Job Search Guidance with ITA
    9.28 •97 reviews

    Interested in getting paid to travel the world? With International...

  • 116 new reviews
    150-Hour TEFL Certification
    8.94 •116 reviews

    Our flagship, 150-hour TEFL certification course provides you with 130...

What People Are Saying

I left my life as an attorney behind in Johannesburg to work at an English Village in the cultural city 🌃 of Paju - 40 minutes from Seoul. 🚊 Chloe Park and her team @SeoulESL helped with everything...

Korean stew 🍲

I have had some of the best time of my life living and traveling in this country. I have had the chance to experience their wonderful hospitality, cuisine, music and dances. This experience can be...

Great food

The experience of being successfully placed onto the EPIK program would not have been as smooth and possible if it wasn’t for Alistair Wery. He was always helpful, kind, patient and very willing to go...

Masks On Please

Popular Teach Abroad Articles

Related Teach Abroad Articles